Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Splitting A 20mg Lexapro Pill Into Quarters?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hi. Just wondering if 20mg Lexapro pills can be successfully cut into quarters (for people who take 15mg a day). I see that the 20mg pills work out to be so much cheaper than the 10mg pills.
Has anyone ever tried to do this? Or is this just asking for trouble? I imagine one would need a pretty good pill cutter for this.

THANKS.

#2 slw

slw

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:35 AM

i cut my son's pills in half with a pill cutter to get his dosage right.
the pill cutter i have always seems to want to be off center, so it took me a while to get it right.

i would think it's possible, but i don't know how accurate your dosage would be.

maybe the pharmacy could recommend a good pill cutter -- or even cut them for you?

#3 bunkee

bunkee

• PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 12:24 PM

I actually split my pills all the time with a pill cutter. My Dr. told me to do so. I take 30mg of Lexapro and have to split one of the 20mg pills in half. Seems to work just fine.

#4 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 01:48 PM

I cut my citalopram tablets in half. Even with a good pill splitter, they never come out perfect. I imagine that cutting into quarters would be a royal pain, and not very accurate. Ah, the pleasures of being "between sizes". I believe they make liquid Lex, which would probably be the most accurate for odd dosages. I don't know how it compares in price, though.

I've read posts from people who taper off ADs extremely slowly by cutting their pills into smaller and smaller pieces over a long period of time, until there's just a grain of sand left, but the thought of doing that makes me want to scream. I suppose you can cut to whatever size you want if you have the patience and dexterity for it.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#5 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 02:40 PM

i can split the 20mg pills easily with my fingers and they usually always split in half perfectly. Then I use a razor blade to cut the other half down to 5mg. I have done this several times when increasing or decreasing my dose. I currently switched to Cymbalta but tried to tapper off the Lexapro to quickly. I had some weird disorientation spells when turning my head and fatigued more easily.

My doc told me it was ok to continue taking lexapro with the cymbalta. I think he's crazy but he's actually very well known and respected in the bay area. At any rate, I slowly got off the lexapro while increasing the cymbalta and the disorientation went away.

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#6 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 05:47 PM

Ronnie, can a razor blade actually slice (or saw?) through the pill evenly enough?

Eee-gads! -- as if I don't have enough to contend with nowadays...the idea of setting up a mini-lab in my kitchen to try and dissect pills really takes the cake.

Thank you all for the good advice. Much appreciated.

#7 Ronnie

Ronnie

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:17 PM

Hehe.... yes, it (slices) quite easily. after you break the 20mg in half, I set that half down with the blade touching half of the half kinda like cutting carrots or an onion I guess and just do a quick 'slice'. Just watch so it doesn't slip away.... and if one half is larger than the other, the next day I would nibble down the larger half (kinda like a beaver) after swalling the smaller half to even it out.... i'm wierd, I know. But once you do it enough, you get a routine down and can do a months supply in like 5-10 min.

Or... if that gets too tedious, one of my old pyschiatrists also suggested crushing the pill up and mixing it in a glass of fruit punch or something.... keeping it in the fridge and drink half of it one day and the other half the next day, just make sure its mixed up real good.

Current meds: Lexapro 10mg, Wellbutrin SR 150mg 2x day

As needed: Restoril or Trazadone for sleep.  Klonopin infrequently, Nuvigil for shift work.

Previous meds I tried:  Paxil, Prozac, Cymbalta, Pristiq, Abilify, Buspar, Xanax, Depakote, Doxepin.

Nothing real can be threatened.
Nothing unreal exists.
Herein lies the peace of God.
~A Course in Miracles

#8 MichaelBlue

MichaelBlue

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:47 PM

Wow, a glass of LexaPunch! Now THERE'S a cocktail for ya.

Thanks for this, Ronnie. I guess the only way to get the hang of it is to plunge in with my blade and try it. MUCH appreciated.

#9 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 09:54 PM

Depressed folk with razor blades...hmmmm. :hearts:
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users