Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Prozac Help With Anxiety??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bunnybear

bunnybear

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 02:02 PM

So I have tried several meds and the only one that worked well for my anxiety was lexapro but it caused a lot of weight gain. So my doctor just put me on prozac......I am wondering if this has helped anyone with anxiety? That is my major problem, not really the depression.

#2 jesluvmk

jesluvmk

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:29 PM

I was on prozac for a little bit about 10 years back for depression, not anxiety. It seemed like prozac created anxiety for me....along with other bad side effects. Keep trying. Hopefully you can find something that will work! Good luck!

#3 traceyamom1

traceyamom1

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 09:11 PM

Well i think that it being an SSRI drug, it can help with anxiety, actually alot of meds not marketed for certain things can work for other problems. I was taking prozac for my ocd, at a high dose, it worked wonders but didnt help my depression , go figure. But on the other hand prozac can make you jittery and antsy. You know everyone is different. so give it a try, it just may work. Anxiety and depression are very closely related, more than we may think. Good luck . ~~Luv T.

~T~
mommy to two rays of sunshine on my rainy days.

ADHD, bipolar2, Anxiety, Tx/Med resistant depression(but still trying),Borderline.

~still trying to get that med cocktail right!~
Currently on Vyvanse,Adderall, Amantadine, Xanax and Trazadone prn, recently started Geodon and Viibyrd.
day 9 off Pristiq and feeling somewhat normal again!!

#4 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:03 AM

Prozac does have some anti-anxiety properties. Initially, when starting, anxiety may still be present and then improve the longer you are on it. However, not all medications will work the same for each individual. It's important that you keep your pdoc informed about your progress or any reactions you may have.

As you may or may not know, weight gain/loss is a side-effect of most medications. You maybe be able to counteract the SE's with a change of diet and an exercise program. It would be best to ask your doc for advice regarding this SE.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#5 Creative Username

Creative Username

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:58 PM

Hi...If you're looking for just personal experiences, Prozac did help with my anxiety. This was years ago--Prozac was the first AD I took. I had recently begun to experience panic attacks, though that wasn't why I was taking the PZ. I was taking it for depression. Lack of anxiety was my only side-effect. :hearts: It was a good one to have!

Everyone's mileage is going to vary on this issue, I feel. That's what's tough about ADs sometimes. You have to try them yourself to see how you personally will respond Good luck. I hope it helps you.

#6 silentcrs

silentcrs

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:55 PM

I'm actually considering going back on Prozac for both depression and anxiety. From what I've read, it can treat a number of anxiety disorders and can help with panic attacks. Your doctor would be the best person to speak to about this.

#7 Looking Up

Looking Up

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:19 PM

Prozac works wonders for my anxiety... although it didn't curb my depression much... so I am on a med combo of Prozac (fluoxetine) and Cymbalta. I've only been on the combo for a week now...

But Prozac has done wonders for my anxiety, as I have not had a panic attack in six months on it. Best of luck to you!

Looking Up :hearts:

#8 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:09 PM

Prozac works wonders for my anxiety... although it didn't curb my depression much... so I am on a med combo of Prozac (fluoxetine) and Cymbalta. I've only been on the combo for a week now...

But Prozac has done wonders for my anxiety, as I have not had a panic attack in six months on it. Best of luck to you!

Looking Up :hearts:

Just wondering if you're still on the combo of Prozac and Cymbalta and if so, how is it working for you?

Karen

#9 eaj020507

eaj020507

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 05:00 PM

Prozac helps me for anxiety, but it don't touch the depression. I am on wellbutrin for that.
I wish you the best.

Peggy

#10 rainbowgirl

rainbowgirl

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:13 PM

I just switched from Zoloft to Prozac 1 week ago. The week before I took 1/2 and 1/2 of each med. Something I have noticed is I no longer have the brain fog that I had with Zoloft. I can't take more than 50mg of Zoloft without getting the brain fog and my Psychiatrist says Zoloft works best in higher doses. So I'm hoping the Prozac will help my depression and anxiety. I feel a bit jittery so we'll see if that goes away or not.
Rainbowgirl

~It's not easy being green.

#11 ChantelleBooth

ChantelleBooth

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

I have been on prozac for a week and a half and so far my anxiety has gone worse. I know it takes time to kick in and you can get awful side affects at first, so i would say just stick it out and things should start to look up. I have heard that it works for a lot of other people and you just have to be positive and recieve a lot of support from the people around you. You cant jsut rely on meds to make you better, therapy and doing work yourself must go along with it. Its a battle but in the end there will be positive outcomes. I have been battling terrible depression and anxiety for a year now, things need to get better! Good luck x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users