Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What Does It Feel Like When Prozac Actually Works?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 bearafar

bearafar

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:58 PM

Just wondering what those of you felt like when Prozac started working for you. Was it a gradual feeling of getting better or was it just all of a sudden you felt better. When you did feel better, what did it feel like? more happy? less anxiety? I'm on week 6 of 20mg and I feel a bit better and not as depressed as I was but it's not anything drastic. I'm still clenching my jaw a lot, no sex drive. I just had this expectation of feeling so much better than I do, like I would be giddy with happiness and calmness. Maybe that it an unrealistic expectation. Should I talk to my doc about increasing the dose or stick it out a bit longer? I'm trying to get pregnant so I sort of want to stay at a lower dose if possible because I won't be discontinuing while I'm pregant. My doc told me Prozac was one of the safest antidepressants to take while pregnant. If anyone who has had success with prozac let me know how long it took for it to work for you and what the end result was, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to switch to another antidepressant and have to start all over again, Celexa and Wellbutrin didn't do much for me. I'm looking for a baseline to compare myself to, I don't know what happiness feels like and want to know what feelings to expect if I do eventually get happy. Man this is so frustrating, just wish I could be normal.

#2 Kelandris

Kelandris

• Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:34 PM

I started feeling better almost immediately, but only for the first few days. My moods have gone up and down a lot since then but I feel cranky and depressed far less than I did before Prozac. I'm at 20 mg now after about 8 or 9 weeks and I want to ask my Dr. for a higher dose. I feel about 50% better as far as the depression, which is good but I'm looking for more relief. I still have 80% of the anxiety.

I have heard that drugs like Prozac should be taken at a fully effective dose, and that taking a lower dose is useless. I think talking to your doc about dosing might be a good idea.

I hope it will work for you. I don't know what I would do without my Prozac even though it is only half-way working for me right now. Let us know if you make a change that works for you! And if you figure out the happiness thing pm me and tell me how to do it!! :hearts:

Edited by Kelandris, 07 December 2007 - 11:38 PM.

-Kelandris of Suxonli
An inspiring character from the exeptional fantasy novel Contrarywise
by Zorah Greenhalgh

#3 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

Just wondering what those of you felt like when Prozac started working for you. Was it a gradual feeling of getting better or was it just all of a sudden you felt better. When you did feel better, what did it feel like? more happy? less anxiety? I'm on week 6 of 20mg and I feel a bit better and not as depressed as I was but it's not anything drastic. I'm still clenching my jaw a lot, no sex drive. I just had this expectation of feeling so much better than I do, like I would be giddy with happiness and calmness. Maybe that it an unrealistic expectation. Should I talk to my doc about increasing the dose or stick it out a bit longer? I'm trying to get pregnant so I sort of want to stay at a lower dose if possible because I won't be discontinuing while I'm pregant. My doc told me Prozac was one of the safest antidepressants to take while pregnant. If anyone who has had success with prozac let me know how long it took for it to work for you and what the end result was, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to switch to another antidepressant and have to start all over again, Celexa and Wellbutrin didn't do much for me. I'm looking for a baseline to compare myself to, I don't know what happiness feels like and want to know what feelings to expect if I do eventually get happy. Man this is so frustrating, just wish I could be normal.

I actually used this med years ago and have since using another one/two. But what I remember was a gradual feeling of OKness, nothing spectacular. In fact, other than feeling somewhat better, it was really one morning where I hadn't noticed my depression and thought to myself, "I wonder if this is how other people feel?" So no bolt of lightning, no giddiness or elation, just OKness. Which for most of us, it is a great improvement. Hope you find your meds are working for you, a good evaluation is the next two weeks and if there has been improvement, perhaps your doc will up your dose.

Peace and Love.... wayne

Sabbat Shalom

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#4 bearafar

bearafar

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Do most docs up the doseage first before switching you completely to another med? I don't really trust my doc sometimes and I don't think he knows a lot about mental illness. If prozac is somewhat working at a low dose, will it work better at a higher dose?

#5 ilhan

ilhan

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 03:17 AM

You should try a higher dose of Prozac.
Prozac works for me in 10 days.

#6 silentcrs

silentcrs

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 07:40 PM

It can take a few weeks for it to kick in. Generally speaking, for me, Prozac was a mood leveller. On it I didn't feel any real highs or lows -- it calmed me down a bit and allowed me to make some more tangible decisions. It never really erased my depression but did allow me to live life a little more comfortably.

#7 bearafar

bearafar

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hi! I'm giving an update on my Prozac journey. The first several weeks were very hard with side effects and not seeing much change. Now at 10 weeks at 20mg, I feel normal..... It's really strange, I haven't fought with my husband in weeks (before it was almost daily). My anxiety is so much better, I actually feel like I have more confidence and feel more comfortable talking to people. I was happy during Christmas, calm not frazzeled, could be more open with my parents. My mood swings are almost nonexistent, i'm more stable, not so many extreme ups and downs. The only crappy thing is I don't have much of a sex drive and it's extremely diffficult, if not impossible to orgasm. I don't want to give up this new way of feeling but I miss my old sex life. Is there anything I can do to get it back without going off Prozac? I'm also trying to get pregnant and don't really want to take more meds. Would decreasing my dose bring it back? A couple days after Christmas I felt like I was manic, I had so much energy and cleaned like crazy. I've been really talkative lately too. I smoked some illegal drug at New years and the two manic days followed that. I wonder if it could have messed up my meds.

#8 divastrop

divastrop

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:34 PM

what you're describing sounds like how it affected me the first 2 times i was on it,just looking back and realising you havent felt totally crap for a couple of weeks or so.

i had to come off prozac when i found out i was pregnant with my last child,and re-start it at 12 weeks.i dont know why,as i couldnt find any evidence that prozac can cause problems in the first trimester.

i went completly nuts when i came off it back then-my husband almost left me as i was so bad.i went back on prozac at 12 weeks(i was in the surgery the day i was 12 weeks gone saying 'i want to go back on the prozac!!')and things got alot better once it kicked in again.

i cant advise you re the sex drive thing as i never noticed a difference in that department,but when i came off it i found it easier to orgasm.i think it just takes a little more work on the prozac :hearts:
take a deep breath,and SCREAM!

#9 Billy T

Billy T

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:54 AM

Hi! I'm giving an update on my Prozac journey. The first several weeks were very hard with side effects and not seeing much change. Now at 10 weeks at 20mg, I feel normal..... It's really strange, I haven't fought with my husband in weeks (before it was almost daily). My anxiety is so much better, I actually feel like I have more confidence and feel more comfortable talking to people. I was happy during Christmas, calm not frazzeled, could be more open with my parents. My mood swings are almost nonexistent, i'm more stable, not so many extreme ups and downs. The only crappy thing is I don't have much of a sex drive and it's extremely diffficult, if not impossible to orgasm. I don't want to give up this new way of feeling but I miss my old sex life. Is there anything I can do to get it back without going off Prozac? I'm also trying to get pregnant and don't really want to take more meds. Would decreasing my dose bring it back? A couple days after Christmas I felt like I was manic, I had so much energy and cleaned like crazy. I've been really talkative lately too. I smoked some illegal drug at New years and the two manic days followed that. I wonder if it could have messed up my meds.

Really reassured by your posts Bearafar - I'm just over 3 weeks into Prozac (Fluox) and though I'm starting to see benefits and had some niggling SEs it is really good to see that they DO work even if it takes a little while longer than the 2 weeks or so that my GP said when she prescribed them.

Any other tips for a newbie to ADs? So far I've found work helps, Acupuncture definitely helps with the physical aches and pains and poss the existential ennui and Talking therapy/counseling (bit of a mix of psycho dynamic and CBT) has at very least a cathartic benefit - not yet entirely convinced I'm getting as much out of counseling as I should, but then again, I don't know how bad I'd be if I'd never tried it.

Going to give hypno therapy a try (on the recommendation of someone I trust hugely) Have you tried that? has anyone? I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Bill

#10 Billy T

Billy T

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:28 AM

Really reassured by your posts Bearafar - I'm just over 3 weeks into Prozac (Fluox) and though I'm starting to see benefits and had some niggling SEs it is really good to see that they DO work even if it takes a little while longer than the 2 weeks or so that my GP said when she prescribed them.

Any other tips for a newbie to ADs? So far I've found work helps, Acupuncture definitely helps with the physical aches and pains and poss the existential ennui and Talking therapy/counseling (bit of a mix of psycho dynamic and CBT) has at very least a cathartic benefit - not yet entirely convinced I'm getting as much out of counseling as I should, but then again, I don't know how bad I'd be if I'd never tried it.

Going to give hypno therapy a try (on the recommendation of someone I trust hugely) Have you tried that? has anyone? I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers

Bill

Oh well, 28th capsule today. Had a blooming horrible morning again today - starting to perk up very slightly now I'm at work but , oh god, I hate life at the minute. Some one please talk to me!!

#11 LouiseNicole

LouiseNicole

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:52 AM

I've been on prozac for three and a half months, almost. I did experience an almost manic happiness for the first few days after I started, but that scared me just as much as the misery and horror of my previous feelings. The 'high' was followed by a big crash. And then up to a level of 'just bad' for a week, and then another crash, and so on in that pattern more-or-less for the first two months. I sometimes felt worse than ever in those months. The third month was when I started counselling, and also actually turned to family and friends for help. And that (probably not coincedentally) was when the prozac really began to do its thing. I agree with wayne above who calls the effect "okayness". I gradually (over maybe week 9, 10 and 11) began to have moments of, "Oh, I might like to make a cup of coffee" which obviously happen to 'normal' people all the time but were a huge, amazing surprise to me. What, I wanted to DO something? This felt so good that I think I began a huge, wonderful change-over from every little thing making me feel empty and worse, to the smallest reward rolling into bigger and bigger rewards because the fact that I felt any reward from anything felt so good! I should add that I'm a bit of a dramatic person naturally :bump: and I had also totally resigned myself to a life of lying on the floor under a blanket, crying now and then. So the "okayness" felt so much better than I was capable at the time of imagining feeling. I'm getting used to it... but I'm not sure if I'll ever lose the sense of newness everything seems to have now. The smallest thing that I could not do before - making a cup of coffee, just to drink and enjoy it, or thinking about a job, or tidying my room or washing my hair - makes me feel glad now, not because they aren't routine (sometimes tedious, where jobs and tidying are concerned!) but because I can do them. The little things that used to set me back to point zero, I now am capable of coping with. I dunno, I don't want to sound like some sort of advert for prozac, especially since I want to reiterate that it was only once counselling, family and friends became involved too that I began to improve. But I guess it just made it possible for me to get here, and will lead me on, one step at a time, to a place where I am a real human being again! I used to feel like such a nothing and I used to think I knew for sure that there was no hope. That's the thing I hate most about depression - it takes away the one thing you need to fight against it. Thank god there are things (meds, therapy, anything you can think of) we now can use to fight back. The only constant that I clung to while I was at my worst was that the only thing worth doing was trying to get better. I had nothing else at that time, so I was starting from the beginning with nothing except total despair to keep me company. Just keep your eyes focused on "Better", even if it doesn't seem like a real word or concept at the moment. It IS there and no matter what, you WILL get there. :hearts:

#12 devilboi

devilboi

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:15 PM

I've been on prozac for three and a half months, almost. I did experience an almost manic happiness for the first few days after I started, but that scared me just as much as the misery and horror of my previous feelings. The 'high' was followed by a big crash. And then up to a level of 'just bad' for a week, and then another crash, and so on in that pattern more-or-less for the first two months. I sometimes felt worse than ever in those months. The third month was when I started counselling, and also actually turned to family and friends for help. And that (probably not coincedentally) was when the prozac really began to do its thing. I agree with wayne above who calls the effect "okayness". I gradually (over maybe week 9, 10 and 11) began to have moments of, "Oh, I might like to make a cup of coffee" which obviously happen to 'normal' people all the time but were a huge, amazing surprise to me. What, I wanted to DO something? This felt so good that I think I began a huge, wonderful change-over from every little thing making me feel empty and worse, to the smallest reward rolling into bigger and bigger rewards because the fact that I felt any reward from anything felt so good! I should add that I'm a bit of a dramatic person naturally :bump: and I had also totally resigned myself to a life of lying on the floor under a blanket, crying now and then. So the "okayness" felt so much better than I was capable at the time of imagining feeling. I'm getting used to it... but I'm not sure if I'll ever lose the sense of newness everything seems to have now. The smallest thing that I could not do before - making a cup of coffee, just to drink and enjoy it, or thinking about a job, or tidying my room or washing my hair - makes me feel glad now, not because they aren't routine (sometimes tedious, where jobs and tidying are concerned!) but because I can do them. The little things that used to set me back to point zero, I now am capable of coping with. I dunno, I don't want to sound like some sort of advert for prozac, especially since I want to reiterate that it was only once counselling, family and friends became involved too that I began to improve. But I guess it just made it possible for me to get here, and will lead me on, one step at a time, to a place where I am a real human being again! I used to feel like such a nothing and I used to think I knew for sure that there was no hope. That's the thing I hate most about depression - it takes away the one thing you need to fight against it. Thank god there are things (meds, therapy, anything you can think of) we now can use to fight back. The only constant that I clung to while I was at my worst was that the only thing worth doing was trying to get better. I had nothing else at that time, so I was starting from the beginning with nothing except total despair to keep me company. Just keep your eyes focused on "Better", even if it doesn't seem like a real word or concept at the moment. It IS there and no matter what, you WILL get there. :hearts:

It is true that once you are able 2 talk to your family and freinds about things they can start 2 help you and can help the meds work to there full potential, i think the only bad thing about my dad knowing is tho is that i had a bad epeosde a few nights ago as had a tad to much to drink n stuff, but i didnt do anything wrong but next day my dad was on phone to my docotor asking her why i was been like that and stuff like that, which annoyed me greatly as i genrally dont trust people much ne way and i just felt that it was going behind my back, even if it was just because he ''cares'' n now ive got to go doctor on tues so ill prob be asked uncomftbal questions about that, which i would rather have just bought up with my doctor in my own time and way :/
but apart from that i have been on prozac for 3 n half weeks now and i have noticed a change in the way i feel, and it genrally is quite good, the only worrying thing is that everyday it starts 2 feel more n more like mania, but thats somthing i can talk about to mental health advisor on tues, and the other worrying thing is that i have alot more images of me ******* my self more now than what i was doing b4, luckly they arent impulsive images otherwise id be a tad screwed lol but again thats somthing i can talk about on tuesday, and possbly change or give me somthing else to make that better, or maybe more time i dno. :)

#13 Snugglebugmom

Snugglebugmom

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:05 PM

For me it started working practically overnight. A big part of that was probably the placebo effect, I was just so relieved that I was put back on Prozac. Two weeks in, I could really tell that my mood had leveled out. It's hard to describe, but it feels like a dark fog that covered everything around me, has been lifted. Things don't seem so dark and dismal anymore. And, for me extremely important, I am not scared anymore. I used to suffer from a debilitating, diffuse fear (as in scared all the time, but no idea of what), and that was gone after a few weeks.
And for what it's worth, I have been through two pregnancies and two extended nursing periods on Prozac 40 mg, and both my girls are absolutely fine.
~ Iris ~

"Dark have been my dreams of late."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users