Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Seroquel For Sleep

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 10:25 AM

My doc just prescribed me seroquel for sleep. He wants me to stop the lunesta and try out 50mg and see how it does. Any experiences with using this stuff for sleep? How the next day sedation? Any funky side effects?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#2 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 01:30 PM

My doc just prescribed me seroquel for sleep. He wants me to stop the lunesta and try out 50mg and see how it does. Any experiences with using this stuff for sleep? How the next day sedation? Any funky side effects?

yea, I tried it for a while. I think she gave me 25mg; a real low dose. It was too potent for me anyway and I was way too groggy the next morning, until about lunchtime. It might work differently on you. All you can do is give it a try.
Peace,
Lucinda
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
E'en as joy hath no morrow
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#3 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the reply. From what I've read it sounds like seroquel can be alot like trazodone when you first start it. The first few days may be a little rough but it usually gets better as your body gets used to it. Tonight will be my first night trying it. I really dont have anything planned for this weekend(Gonna snow tommorrow, perfect day to lay around) so if it knocks me on my butt it really wont be a big deal. Hopefully I'll be able to get up before noon tommorrow, lol. I'm gonna give it a fair shot. If it doesnt work, I guess I'll just go back to lunesta or try something else.

Brian

#4 graycoyote

graycoyote

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Hi
I take 25mg of Seroquel and 2-0.5mg Klonopin to help sleep. I never have awaken groggy.
I'm up before 6 am most days. I awaken refreshed and ready to go.
Have a great Christmas
Remember GOD CARES

GrayCoyote

If you are a Christian, you are not a citizen of this world
trying to get to Heaven, You are a citizen of Heaven
making your way through this world --- Vance Havner

#5 rehill

rehill

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:16 AM

I take 300 mg of Seroquel at bedtime. I take it for sleep, but the psychiatrist prescribed it to use in addition to my Wellbutrin to treat my depression. In the morning I find it really difficult to get out of bed, but once I do I am usually okay. It is just the initial getting up that is hard. And the first few nights you can feel really woozy, sort of lightheaded and things seem a bit surreal, but that passes as you get used to it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Edited by rehill, 08 December 2007 - 02:17 AM.

#6 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:24 AM

Well, I was able to get up at a decent time this morning. I dont feel so hot right now but I was expecting that. I feel a little out of it, kinda dizzy, a little headachy. Kinda like when I first started taking trazodone. I did sleep pretty good last night. I woke up a few times this morning, but that may have to do with the fact that I didnt take any lunesta and my body is experiencing a little rebound insomnia from that. Hopefully it will get better the next few days. It was surreal last night when I took that pill. Very, very strange. It took about 45 minutes to realy kick in. I felt very, very relaxed. I could feel this little pulse go thru my body every time my heart would beat. Not unpleasant at all. I was watching TV and it got to the point where I just couldnt concentrate on that so I went to bed. Walking was a little difficult. Kinda felt like a was floating.

Brian

#7 HollyS

HollyS

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

Well, I was able to get up at a decent time this morning. I dont feel so hot right now but I was expecting that. I feel a little out of it, kinda dizzy, a little headachy. Kinda like when I first started taking trazodone. I did sleep pretty good last night. I woke up a few times this morning, but that may have to do with the fact that I didnt take any lunesta and my body is experiencing a little rebound insomnia from that. Hopefully it will get better the next few days. It was surreal last night when I took that pill. Very, very strange. It took about 45 minutes to realy kick in. I felt very, very relaxed. I could feel this little pulse go thru my body every time my heart would beat. Not unpleasant at all. I was watching TV and it got to the point where I just couldnt concentrate on that so I went to bed. Walking was a little difficult. Kinda felt like a was floating.

I'm on 50mg of seroquel as well. I have clonazepam for backup, and its simply for backup, i barely use it. I take it before bedtime, and 45 minutes later is like the light switch just goes off.

The first few days you may feel "drunk" at bedtime, the groggyness won't be too often, just form time to time. I have it today, howver chances are tomorrow I'll be bouncing out of the bed. Generally I find it's helped me immensely in the past few months, my sleep has never been this good.

#8 Edify_me

Edify_me

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:46 PM

I take 50mg before bed every night, and btw it's helpful to take it 30-45 minutes before you want to go to bed, it works great for me and I wake up easily. I also occationally use Zopliclone when I need to get to sleep faster. I haven't experienced any extra hunger or weight on it, been on it 6 months.
I used to care, but now I take a pill for that.

I'm not lazy, I'm just motivationally challenged!

#9 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 11:02 AM

Well I feel better this morning than I did yesterday. No hangover, but I still feel pretty tired. Hopefully the tiredness gets better.

Brian

#10 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 04:19 PM

Well, I had been taking about 100mg for 5 days now. Stuff works great for knocking my butt out, but the problem is I'm waking up like at 4AM and cant go back to sleep. So my doc just prescribed me seroquel XR 200mg. Thats right, seroquel has an XR version. Just came out. I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm wondering if there is any extra daytime sedation since its an XR version. Reading about it on the net, I also saw where Astazeneca is currently doing trials of the xr version for Uniploar depression and GAD. So maybe it could help me out a little in that dept, too.

Brian

#11 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

Well, I had been taking about 100mg for 5 days now. Stuff works great for knocking my butt out, but the problem is I'm waking up like at 4AM and cant go back to sleep. So my doc just prescribed me seroquel XR 200mg. Thats right, seroquel has an XR version. Just came out. I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm wondering if there is any extra daytime sedation since its an XR version. Reading about it on the net, I also saw where Astazeneca is currently doing trials of the xr version for Uniploar depression and GAD. So maybe it could help me out a little in that dept, too.

Glad to hear that it's starting to work for you. No, I did not know Seroquel had an XR version. Probably a good idea for those who use it for mood stabilization. Hope you find that this works on your early morning waking. Are you on an AD, too?
Peace,
Lucinda
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#12 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 10:15 AM

Glad to hear that it's starting to work for you. No, I did not know Seroquel had an XR version. Probably a good idea for those who use it for mood stabilization. Hope you find that this works on your early morning waking. Are you on an AD, too?
Peace,
Lucinda

Thanks for the reply Lucinda. Yeah, I take 120mg of cymbalta, too. I think thats part of the cause of my insomnia. Its pretty activating for me. Well, I feel like a pile of dog crap this morning, but I expected that. I've gotten a hangover after every dosage increase. Should be better tommorrow. Good news is I did sleep better last night. A little too well, LOL. I didnt want to get up this morning!!!

Brian

#13 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:51 AM

Peace,
Lucinda

Thanks for the reply Lucinda. Yeah, I take 120mg of cymbalta, too. I think thats part of the cause of my insomnia. Its pretty activating for me. Well, I feel like a pile of dog crap this morning, but I expected that. I've gotten a hangover after every dosage increase. Should be better tommorrow. Good news is I did sleep better last night. A little too well, LOL. I didnt want to get up this morning!!!

Well, at least you're on an AD; so, your early morning waking probably is not from depression. Unless, of course, you feel like the Cymbalta isn't cutting it. I'm too lazy to look back and read the former posts cuz my meds are kicking in and I have to return to my coffin; but, did you mention you are taking Seroquel for sleep only? Or do you need it as an atypical for stabilization. Sorry, I'm nodding off now and I've got to go. If sleep only, did you research all your options for sleep aids? It had some weight gain issues for my sis; but, she was on about 500mg a day for severe mania plus sleep aid. 50mg snowed me completely; but, I did need it in Cairo cuz the city is like NY, never sleeps, always moving and vibrating; like being sucked into a big vortex. I need something to knock me out when in those cities.
Good night,
Lucinda
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#14 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:17 PM

Actually, yeah my pdoc also wants me on it for some stabilization. I told him that I still seem to be taking a dip every now and thats when he suggested trying out seroquel. He actually had mentioned adding lamictal at an earlier appt but I guess he changed his mind and wants to try seroquel first since it helps with the sleep.

Well, today is my second day on XR 200mg. I feel like a space cadet. Tired, dizzy and just generally spaced out. Hope it gets better.

Brian

#15 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

Actually, yeah my pdoc also wants me on it for some stabilization. I told him that I still seem to be taking a dip every now and thats when he suggested trying out seroquel. He actually had mentioned adding lamictal at an earlier appt but I guess he changed his mind and wants to try seroquel first since it helps with the sleep.

Well, today is my second day on XR 200mg. I feel like a space cadet. Tired, dizzy and just generally spaced out. Hope it gets better.

Hi Brian,

I'm interested in knowing how this goes for you. I'm on 90 mg. of Cymbalta and similar to you, it's always been activating for me. Combine that with the RLS and sleep has become a real problem. I'm taking Mirapex and Klonapin for the RLS/PLMD, but I'm having the 1am and 4am wake ups and this will not do. Keep us posted.

Maddie
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 duggie

duggie

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:28 PM

Hello Brian,
The only prescription sleep med I have had was Ambien. I do not take it any more. I am taking two caplets of TYLENOL PM, every night before bed time. Sleep is my biggest problem. I worked Graveyard Shift for 27 yrs and got only an average of 5 hrs of sleep a day. The combination of eating healthy food, walking 2 miles a day and Volunteering has stabilized my sleep. I have recovered from Depression and my Psychiatrist & Therapist are amazed. I am here for you!
Doug

#17 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 09:38 AM

Yea, things may even out for you. Hope your doc told you that eventually your body will adapt. I just started the Lamictal and she stopped me at 50mg for now until I see her in Jan. I was getting manic from it and the Wellbutrin. The Lamictal does work as a stabilizer; but, more if you suffer from the depressive side of it. Now, the mania has tapered down and I imagine she'll take away some of the Wellbutrin and start titering me up with the Lamictal.
The body sort of levels off with some of these meds, so it seems. Take care and let us know how you are feeling down the road on the XR version of Seroquel.
Peace and Happy Holidays,
Lucinda
:xmastree3:
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#18 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 12:56 PM

Hi Brian,

Doing any better on the Seroquel after a few days?

Sincerely,

Maddie

Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 10:15 PM

Well Maddie, its not going too bad. I've been on the 200mg XR for six days now. The daytime tiredness is fairly mild now, but I dont really get tired period anymore when I take it at night. So, I'm still having to take the lunesta to help me get to sleep, BUT once I am asleep I find that I am sleeping much deeper and I havent had any issues with waking early since I started. I find that its a little hard to get up in the morning but once I am up I am okay. Mood wise havent noticed much of a difference. I'm not sure if seroquel has the lag like AD's do or if I'm just not on a high enough dose. But thats OK, the deeper sleep is worth taking it anyway.

Maddie, your RLS brings up a possible problem with seroquel that is probably worth investigating. It may not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking seroquel could have a negative effect on your RLS. The reason why is that one of serouqels main actions(and other antipsychotics as well) is antagonizing dopamine receptors in the brain, effectively blocking dopamines action. They are used in patients with schizophrenia becasue they are thought to have too much dopamine. Unfortunately, this is one reason why antipsychotics carry the risk of tardive dyskinesia and other movement disorders, although this risk is a lot lower with the atypical antipsychotics like seroquel than the older typical antipsychotics like thorazine. The drugs used for RLS, like your mirapex and requip are dopamine receptor agonists, effectively mimicking dopamine and stimulating the dopamine receptors. So I'm thinking maybe the seroquel may counteract the mirapex? Again, it may not be a problem at all. I'm certainly no psychiatrist and expert on these medications, but knowing how they both work its probably worth asking your pdoc about.

Edited by maintainin, 22 December 2007 - 10:17 PM.

Brian

#20 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 05:13 PM

Well Maddie, its not going too bad. I've been on the 200mg XR for six days now. The daytime tiredness is fairly mild now, but I dont really get tired period anymore when I take it at night. So, I'm still having to take the lunesta to help me get to sleep, BUT once I am asleep I find that I am sleeping much deeper and I havent had any issues with waking early since I started. I find that its a little hard to get up in the morning but once I am up I am okay. Mood wise havent noticed much of a difference. I'm not sure if seroquel has the lag like AD's do or if I'm just not on a high enough dose. But thats OK, the deeper sleep is worth taking it anyway.

Maddie, your RLS brings up a possible problem with seroquel that is probably worth investigating. It may not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking seroquel could have a negative effect on your RLS. The reason why is that one of serouqels main actions(and other antipsychotics as well) is antagonizing dopamine receptors in the brain, effectively blocking dopamines action. They are used in patients with schizophrenia becasue they are thought to have too much dopamine. Unfortunately, this is one reason why antipsychotics carry the risk of tardive dyskinesia and other movement disorders, although this risk is a lot lower with the atypical antipsychotics like seroquel than the older typical antipsychotics like thorazine. The drugs used for RLS, like your mirapex and requip are dopamine receptor agonists, effectively mimicking dopamine and stimulating the dopamine receptors. So I'm thinking maybe the seroquel may counteract the mirapex? Again, it may not be a problem at all. I'm certainly no psychiatrist and expert on these medications, but knowing how they both work its probably worth asking your pdoc about.

Hi Brian,

I'm glad to hear that the combination of Lunesta and Seroquel might be the answer for you. Do you think you are getting restorative sleep, like going into REM, or can you tell? I guess the only way to know would be if you remember if you had any dreams or not. I only ask because I never got it on Ambien, Lunesta and like drugs, but the added Seroquel might be the answer for you. I can relate to the "once your up, you're okay" feeling. I think Cymbalta might help in that regard, although it's just speculation.

That is fascinating information about Seroquel and RLS. I have no plans to ask about going on it actually. I just find it very interesting, since I have many friends who can't sleep, and 70 million Americans have sleep problems. I'm just now learning that there are several drugs I shouldn't take with RLS and of course all AD's are on the list, except Wellbutrin, trazodone, desipramine and Serzone. There is no way I'm going to take trazodone, which is really used to help people sleep because it didn't do well in the AD category. I notice some of the neuroleptics (like Seroquel) are to be used with caution. Like you said, they end up being Dopamine ANTAGONISTS, exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I love Cymbalta and really have no plan to stop taking it. I'd rather try to counter these other problems. I had the RLS before I took the Cymbalta so, I can't blame it, although it might exacerbate the condition some.

Sincerely,

Maddie
Posted ImagePosted Image

#21 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:08 PM

Yeah, I do think I am sleeping deeper. REM is not restorative sleep. If you look at brain waves of people who are in REM the waves actually look alot like the brain waves of someone who is awake. The deep sleep stages 3 and 4 are the restorative sleep. I am dreaming though, usually towards the end of the night which is when people dream the most anyway. I dont want to get to into it but as an insomniac I've done alot of reading about sleep and all the cycles. Its really fascinating. If you havent reasarched it much, I recommend you do.

Just curious, what dont you like about trazodone? I took it beofre when I was on lexapro and it wasnt too bad. Have you had a bad experience on it?

Edited by maintainin, 23 December 2007 - 09:08 PM.

Brian

#22 Canarylegs

Canarylegs

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 11:27 PM

Im on 200mg Seroquel, im confused what does XR mean, i dont know the difference. I am also on 25mg going up tomorrow to 50mg of Lamictal. I feel i am a bit more stabilized since being on lamictal. I am also having druing the day 25mg or 50mg extra of seroquel if i feel panicky or stressed which ahs been happening a lot lately

Robyn

#23 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 09:33 AM

They just came out with an XR version. It stands for extended realease.

Brian

#24 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, I do think I am sleeping deeper. REM is not restorative sleep. If you look at brain waves of people who are in REM the waves actually look alot like the brain waves of someone who is awake. The deep sleep stages 3 and 4 are the restorative sleep. I am dreaming though, usually towards the end of the night which is when people dream the most anyway. I dont want to get to into it but as an insomniac I've done alot of reading about sleep and all the cycles. Its really fascinating. If you havent reasarched it much, I recommend you do.

Just curious, what dont you like about trazodone? I took it beofre when I was on lexapro and it wasnt too bad. Have you had a bad experience on it?

You're right. I have read that stages 3 & 4 are your restorative stages, however, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't you have to get to these stages before you get to the REM stage and then the sleep cycle begins over again? REM is just something I've used as a gauge, since how can you really know (unless you are hooked up to electrodes) what stages you are truly in? I never was reaching 3 or 4 in my recent sleep study and was constantly moving without even knowing it. It was a disastrous (yet insightful) night to say the least. I have read that Trazodone, although its labeled use is as an antidepressant, is really being used more as a sleep aid. I have never tried it. I know I may not respond that way to it, but I have seen several posts here that state it works great to help people sleep, so that's my concern with it.
Of course Cymbalta makes people sleepy too and like you it keeps me wide awake-ha! You certainly don't have to respond since you don't want to get into it, but these are some of my understandings, whether completely accurate or not.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 24 December 2007 - 01:47 PM

Yep, you are exactly right about the sleep cycles maddie. In a normal person a sleep cycle usually lasts around 90 minutes. You go into the deep sleep stages and end the cycle in the REM stage. Then it starts over again. As the night goes on the time spent in deep sleep decreases and the time spent in REM increases. Therefore, you get most of your deep sleep towards the beginning of the night and most of your REM towards the end of the night. I read an interesting study a while back where they took depressed people and did a sleep study on them. Everytime they went into a REM Cycle they would be woken up. Their depression scores improved. See the theory is that alot of depressed people dream more than they should and it may be one of the reasons alot of people with depression have early morning awakenings. It may be the bodies defense to suppress the dreaming.

Brian

#26 Brit

Brit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:20 AM

I've been on Seroquel for 8 months and sleep like a dream every night, but yes it does take sometime to get use to...id give it at least a week before you right it off. Personally im on 400mg but for other issues aswell, i started on 25mg which is the normal starting dose.
"God hates us all"

#27 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 08:35 PM

I tried it for a week and had the worst hangover effects that I stopped...worst med I ever took to date.

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#28 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 25 December 2007 - 10:56 PM

Yep, you are exactly right about the sleep cycles maddie. In a normal person a sleep cycle usually lasts around 90 minutes. You go into the deep sleep stages and end the cycle in the REM stage. Then it starts over again. As the night goes on the time spent in deep sleep decreases and the time spent in REM increases. Therefore, you get most of your deep sleep towards the beginning of the night and most of your REM towards the end of the night. I read an interesting study a while back where they took depressed people and did a sleep study on them. Everytime they went into a REM Cycle they would be woken up. Their depression scores improved. See the theory is that alot of depressed people dream more than they should and it may be one of the reasons alot of people with depression have early morning awakenings. It may be the bodies defense to suppress the dreaming.

That sounds like an interesting study, and the theory is quite intriguing as well. My dreaming has increased since going on the RLS meds., so I'm assuming I'm hitting levels 3 & 4
now. I'll put up with the dreams if that's the case-ha! Keep us posted on how you're doing on the Seroquel. Sounds like it might be the answer for you.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 Momndistress

Momndistress

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 08:47 AM

I have tried Seroquel for sleep too. It is hard to get out of bed in the morning because I still felt sleepy even when I got my 8 hours of sleep. It is not the drug of choice for me because I am taking care of two babies at that time so I needed to be alert and attentive for them. I slept like a log except when I needed to go to the bathroom. The side effect for me was difficulty urinating which was normal as my doctor relayed to me.

#30 think

think

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:10 PM

I've been taking seroquel for about 2 weeks now and I'm still not sure about how I like it. I'm taking adderall and wellbutrin for ADD and depression but my anxiety had been getting too high, and I could not get to sleep without ambien. (My sleep was not good even without the adderall and wellbutrin.) Plus I wasn't getting the dopamine boost like I used to so I found my confusion and concentration and motivation were getting worse.

My doc suggested seroquel because he said is was a dopamine reuptake inhibitor plus it would help me get to sleep. I started on 25mg. The first few days I could barely get out of bed after 10 hours of sleep. I felt like a zombie until the afternoon. Then after a few days I was OK once I woke up, but I would still have trouble getting out of bed even after 10 hours of sleep. I did feel a lot calmer though and the ADD "noise" in my brain had really subsided. That was nice.

Then after about a week I started waking up in the night and couldn't get back to sleep. My doc said that would probably happen and to take 50mg if so. So I've been taking 50mg for a few days and still find it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. I've now found that my motivation has completely gone away. I just feel like sitting on the couch all day and that I'm floating through or dreaming the whole day.

This was posted a few replies earlier:

The reason why is that one of serouqels main actions(and other antipsychotics as well) is antagonizing dopamine receptors in the brain, effectively blocking dopamines action.

If that's true then it would make sense why I feel no motivation to do anything. It's odd though that my doc said it would increase my motivation by stopping the reuptake of dopamine. Maybe he was just telling me that so I'd try it? I know that he's always wanted me to be on a mood stabilizer from the beginning. I didn't like lamictal so I stopped taking it.

I've read contradictory things on the internet about seroquel so I don't know what to think. One site said it increased serotonin and dopamine, others say that it would increase motivation (I assume indicating the positive dopamine effects). But since it's also used as an anti-psychotic, that would indicated that it lowers dopamine as was posted earlier.

On the plus side- I'm getting good sleep, although I can hardly get out of bed even with 10+ hours sleep. I also feel more calm overall.
The negative side is that maybe I'm too calm now, to the point where I don't want to do anything. Does anyone know if that effect goes away in time? It's been a week on the 50mg and 2 weeks on the seroquel overall.

#31 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

Doc just bumped me up tp 300mg XR. Hope it works even better. I've noticed that my mind is much calmer since I have been on this stuff.

Brian

#32 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

Doc just bumped me up tp 300mg XR. Hope it works even better. I've noticed that my mind is much calmer since I have been on this stuff.

That's good news Brian. Have you been sleeping well on the lower dosage?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#33 purplesusi

purplesusi

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi there,
I am a newbie on here. I have been on seroquel for just over a yr now. At first I was on 50mg, then 100 then 150mg. I had awful side effects that lasted nearly a month. The worst one for me was feeling like a complete zombie and have a terrible dry mouth all the time.

I am now on a steady dose of 25mg and take 50mg when I may need too. Unfortunately I don't think it's helped with my irritability (anger)

I also take 20mg of ciprimil. I have been on ciprimil for 4 or more yrs now.

purplesusi x

#34 fingaz

fingaz

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 04:09 AM

hi,

for me seroquel helps me sleep thoroughly, i take 600mgs at night and 200mgs at 2 time during the day, when i take it at night with my other med's it works well. I have noticed that you do get used to it, yet also works well with a mood stabiliser (i.e. sodium valproate). yet i have to be careful with the stabiliser as it may wreak havock with my liver. it is also not as addictive as some other med's.

#35 Madeleine

Madeleine

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 04:57 PM

It works wonders for sleep, and is the best psychotropic med I know of. But it has some awful side effects, and herein lies the problem with seroquel.

#36 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

Well since starting this thread, I've moved up to 400mg XR. Thats not really a dosage for sleep as the sleepiness gets less with the higher the dose. It does help me sleep once I get to sleep but I'm still having to take lunesta to get to sleep. I havent had any side effects except for gaining a few pounds. Nothing drastic. I do agree though that its pretty amazing. I never realized how much anxiety I had until I started seroquel. I just dont sweat stuff like I used to.

Seroquel=kicks anxiety's ***!!!

Brian

#37 Madeleine

Madeleine

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:59 AM

I am taking 25mg. Seroquel for sleep, and am terrified about the weight gain. Motivation-wise, I'm not sure that anything has changed. I feel like a zombie almost all the time. It's really hard for me to get dressed and get out. I hate my body. I used to be svelte at 105 lbs., but have ballooned to 120 lbs. and don't want to be seen. I hang on, praying for that "magic bullet>" :hearts:

#38 Canarylegs

Canarylegs

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:03 AM

I agree the higher the dose the sleepiness wears off. Im on 450mg at night and i go to sleep generally within the hour. I can only take 50mg in the morning as if i take 100mg i am wanting to go to sleep but am fine on the 50mg. I agree the anxiety is down too not totally but is coming down

#39 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:20 AM

Hi There,

My pDoc gave me a bunch of samples for sleep when I needed it which isn't that often. 25-50 mg. does the trick for me, very restful sleep with a minimum hang over the next morning if at all.

Peace and Love..... wayne
Sabbat Shalom

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#40 Davevanza

Davevanza

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

I'm om 300 mg Seroquel at nite now, since 2005.

The reason the doc put me on that is because I was taking diet pill back then, I took Tenuate ( Diethylpropion HCL) up to 4 tabs a day, plus Duromine (Phentermine ) 40 mg a day.

I was high during the day and couldn't sleep until 6 am the next morning.

Once I am on Seroquel, I felt that it flattened my mood. ( I read some info about it, it blocks certain sub-types of Dopamine and Serotonin, but thankfully it does not affect the Dopamine system in out body that we use for moving- and for years I never experience any movement disorder/ Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome ).

I had been on Zyprexa, Risperdal, but they all gave me muscle spasm, feeling agitated, and twice my eyes rolled upwards that I have to be given a shot of Cogentin ( Benztropine Maleate).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users