• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maintainin

Seroquel For Sleep

58 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

My doc just prescribed me seroquel for sleep. He wants me to stop the lunesta and try out 50mg and see how it does. Any experiences with using this stuff for sleep? How the next day sedation? Any funky side effects?

Posted · Report post  

My doc just prescribed me seroquel for sleep. He wants me to stop the lunesta and try out 50mg and see how it does. Any experiences with using this stuff for sleep? How the next day sedation? Any funky side effects?

yea, I tried it for a while. I think she gave me 25mg; a real low dose. It was too potent for me anyway and I was way too groggy the next morning, until about lunchtime. It might work differently on you. All you can do is give it a try.

Peace,

Lucinda

Posted · Report post  

Thanks for the reply. From what I've read it sounds like seroquel can be alot like trazodone when you first start it. The first few days may be a little rough but it usually gets better as your body gets used to it. Tonight will be my first night trying it. I really dont have anything planned for this weekend(Gonna snow tommorrow, perfect day to lay around) so if it knocks me on my butt it really wont be a big deal. Hopefully I'll be able to get up before noon tommorrow, lol. I'm gonna give it a fair shot. If it doesnt work, I guess I'll just go back to lunesta or try something else.

Posted · Report post  

Hi

I take 25mg of Seroquel and 2-0.5mg Klonopin to help sleep. I never have awaken groggy.

I'm up before 6 am most days. I awaken refreshed and ready to go.

Have a great Christmas

Remember GOD CARES

Posted (edited) · Report post  

I take 300 mg of Seroquel at bedtime. I take it for sleep, but the psychiatrist prescribed it to use in addition to my Wellbutrin to treat my depression. In the morning I find it really difficult to get out of bed, but once I do I am usually okay. It is just the initial getting up that is hard. And the first few nights you can feel really woozy, sort of lightheaded and things seem a bit surreal, but that passes as you get used to it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Edited by rehill

Posted · Report post  

Well, I was able to get up at a decent time this morning. I dont feel so hot right now but I was expecting that. I feel a little out of it, kinda dizzy, a little headachy. Kinda like when I first started taking trazodone. I did sleep pretty good last night. I woke up a few times this morning, but that may have to do with the fact that I didnt take any lunesta and my body is experiencing a little rebound insomnia from that. Hopefully it will get better the next few days. It was surreal last night when I took that pill. Very, very strange. It took about 45 minutes to realy kick in. I felt very, very relaxed. I could feel this little pulse go thru my body every time my heart would beat. Not unpleasant at all. I was watching TV and it got to the point where I just couldnt concentrate on that so I went to bed. Walking was a little difficult. Kinda felt like a was floating.

Posted · Report post  

Well, I was able to get up at a decent time this morning. I dont feel so hot right now but I was expecting that. I feel a little out of it, kinda dizzy, a little headachy. Kinda like when I first started taking trazodone. I did sleep pretty good last night. I woke up a few times this morning, but that may have to do with the fact that I didnt take any lunesta and my body is experiencing a little rebound insomnia from that. Hopefully it will get better the next few days. It was surreal last night when I took that pill. Very, very strange. It took about 45 minutes to realy kick in. I felt very, very relaxed. I could feel this little pulse go thru my body every time my heart would beat. Not unpleasant at all. I was watching TV and it got to the point where I just couldnt concentrate on that so I went to bed. Walking was a little difficult. Kinda felt like a was floating.

I'm on 50mg of seroquel as well. I have clonazepam for backup, and its simply for backup, i barely use it. I take it before bedtime, and 45 minutes later is like the light switch just goes off.

The first few days you may feel "drunk" at bedtime, the groggyness won't be too often, just form time to time. I have it today, howver chances are tomorrow I'll be bouncing out of the bed. Generally I find it's helped me immensely in the past few months, my sleep has never been this good.

Posted · Report post  

I take 50mg before bed every night, and btw it's helpful to take it 30-45 minutes before you want to go to bed, it works great for me and I wake up easily. I also occationally use Zopliclone when I need to get to sleep faster. I haven't experienced any extra hunger or weight on it, been on it 6 months.

Posted · Report post  

Well I feel better this morning than I did yesterday. No hangover, but I still feel pretty tired. Hopefully the tiredness gets better.

Posted · Report post  

Well, I had been taking about 100mg for 5 days now. Stuff works great for knocking my butt out, but the problem is I'm waking up like at 4AM and cant go back to sleep. So my doc just prescribed me seroquel XR 200mg. Thats right, seroquel has an XR version. Just came out. I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm wondering if there is any extra daytime sedation since its an XR version. Reading about it on the net, I also saw where Astazeneca is currently doing trials of the xr version for Uniploar depression and GAD. So maybe it could help me out a little in that dept, too.

Posted · Report post  

Well, I had been taking about 100mg for 5 days now. Stuff works great for knocking my butt out, but the problem is I'm waking up like at 4AM and cant go back to sleep. So my doc just prescribed me seroquel XR 200mg. Thats right, seroquel has an XR version. Just came out. I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I'm wondering if there is any extra daytime sedation since its an XR version. Reading about it on the net, I also saw where Astazeneca is currently doing trials of the xr version for Uniploar depression and GAD. So maybe it could help me out a little in that dept, too.

Glad to hear that it's starting to work for you. No, I did not know Seroquel had an XR version. Probably a good idea for those who use it for mood stabilization. Hope you find that this works on your early morning waking. Are you on an AD, too?

Peace,

Lucinda

Posted · Report post  

Glad to hear that it's starting to work for you. No, I did not know Seroquel had an XR version. Probably a good idea for those who use it for mood stabilization. Hope you find that this works on your early morning waking. Are you on an AD, too?

Peace,

Lucinda

Thanks for the reply Lucinda. Yeah, I take 120mg of cymbalta, too. I think thats part of the cause of my insomnia. Its pretty activating for me. Well, I feel like a pile of dog crap this morning, but I expected that. I've gotten a hangover after every dosage increase. Should be better tommorrow. Good news is I did sleep better last night. A little too well, LOL. I didnt want to get up this morning!!!

Posted · Report post  

Peace,

Lucinda

Thanks for the reply Lucinda. Yeah, I take 120mg of cymbalta, too. I think thats part of the cause of my insomnia. Its pretty activating for me. Well, I feel like a pile of dog crap this morning, but I expected that. I've gotten a hangover after every dosage increase. Should be better tommorrow. Good news is I did sleep better last night. A little too well, LOL. I didnt want to get up this morning!!!

Well, at least you're on an AD; so, your early morning waking probably is not from depression. Unless, of course, you feel like the Cymbalta isn't cutting it. I'm too lazy to look back and read the former posts cuz my meds are kicking in and I have to return to my coffin; but, did you mention you are taking Seroquel for sleep only? Or do you need it as an atypical for stabilization. Sorry, I'm nodding off now and I've got to go. If sleep only, did you research all your options for sleep aids? It had some weight gain issues for my sis; but, she was on about 500mg a day for severe mania plus sleep aid. 50mg snowed me completely; but, I did need it in Cairo cuz the city is like NY, never sleeps, always moving and vibrating; like being sucked into a big vortex. I need something to knock me out when in those cities.

Good night,

Lucinda

Posted · Report post  

Actually, yeah my pdoc also wants me on it for some stabilization. I told him that I still seem to be taking a dip every now and thats when he suggested trying out seroquel. He actually had mentioned adding lamictal at an earlier appt but I guess he changed his mind and wants to try seroquel first since it helps with the sleep.

Well, today is my second day on XR 200mg. I feel like a space cadet. Tired, dizzy and just generally spaced out. Hope it gets better.

Posted · Report post  

Actually, yeah my pdoc also wants me on it for some stabilization. I told him that I still seem to be taking a dip every now and thats when he suggested trying out seroquel. He actually had mentioned adding lamictal at an earlier appt but I guess he changed his mind and wants to try seroquel first since it helps with the sleep.

Well, today is my second day on XR 200mg. I feel like a space cadet. Tired, dizzy and just generally spaced out. Hope it gets better.

Hi Brian,

I'm interested in knowing how this goes for you. I'm on 90 mg. of Cymbalta and similar to you, it's always been activating for me. Combine that with the RLS and sleep has become a real problem. I'm taking Mirapex and Klonapin for the RLS/PLMD, but I'm having the 1am and 4am wake ups and this will not do. Keep us posted.

Maddie

Posted · Report post  

Hello Brian,

The only prescription sleep med I have had was Ambien. I do not take it any more. I am taking two caplets of TYLENOL PM, every night before bed time. Sleep is my biggest problem. I worked Graveyard Shift for 27 yrs and got only an average of 5 hrs of sleep a day. The combination of eating healthy food, walking 2 miles a day and Volunteering has stabilized my sleep. I have recovered from Depression and my Psychiatrist & Therapist are amazed. I am here for you!

Doug

Posted · Report post  

Yea, things may even out for you. Hope your doc told you that eventually your body will adapt. I just started the Lamictal and she stopped me at 50mg for now until I see her in Jan. I was getting manic from it and the Wellbutrin. The Lamictal does work as a stabilizer; but, more if you suffer from the depressive side of it. Now, the mania has tapered down and I imagine she'll take away some of the Wellbutrin and start titering me up with the Lamictal.

The body sort of levels off with some of these meds, so it seems. Take care and let us know how you are feeling down the road on the XR version of Seroquel.

Peace and Happy Holidays,

Lucinda

:xmastree3:

Posted · Report post  

Hi Brian,

Doing any better on the Seroquel after a few days?

Sincerely,

Maddie

Well Maddie, its not going too bad. I've been on the 200mg XR for six days now. The daytime tiredness is fairly mild now, but I dont really get tired period anymore when I take it at night. So, I'm still having to take the lunesta to help me get to sleep, BUT once I am asleep I find that I am sleeping much deeper and I havent had any issues with waking early since I started. I find that its a little hard to get up in the morning but once I am up I am okay. Mood wise havent noticed much of a difference. I'm not sure if seroquel has the lag like AD's do or if I'm just not on a high enough dose. But thats OK, the deeper sleep is worth taking it anyway.

Maddie, your RLS brings up a possible problem with seroquel that is probably worth investigating. It may not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking seroquel could have a negative effect on your RLS. The reason why is that one of serouqels main actions(and other antipsychotics as well) is antagonizing dopamine receptors in the brain, effectively blocking dopamines action. They are used in patients with schizophrenia becasue they are thought to have too much dopamine. Unfortunately, this is one reason why antipsychotics carry the risk of tardive dyskinesia and other movement disorders, although this risk is a lot lower with the atypical antipsychotics like seroquel than the older typical antipsychotics like thorazine. The drugs used for RLS, like your mirapex and requip are dopamine receptor agonists, effectively mimicking dopamine and stimulating the dopamine receptors. So I'm thinking maybe the seroquel may counteract the mirapex? Again, it may not be a problem at all. I'm certainly no psychiatrist and expert on these medications, but knowing how they both work its probably worth asking your pdoc about.

Edited by maintainin

Posted · Report post  

Well Maddie, its not going too bad. I've been on the 200mg XR for six days now. The daytime tiredness is fairly mild now, but I dont really get tired period anymore when I take it at night. So, I'm still having to take the lunesta to help me get to sleep, BUT once I am asleep I find that I am sleeping much deeper and I havent had any issues with waking early since I started. I find that its a little hard to get up in the morning but once I am up I am okay. Mood wise havent noticed much of a difference. I'm not sure if seroquel has the lag like AD's do or if I'm just not on a high enough dose. But thats OK, the deeper sleep is worth taking it anyway.

Maddie, your RLS brings up a possible problem with seroquel that is probably worth investigating. It may not be an issue at all, but I'm thinking seroquel could have a negative effect on your RLS. The reason why is that one of serouqels main actions(and other antipsychotics as well) is antagonizing dopamine receptors in the brain, effectively blocking dopamines action. They are used in patients with schizophrenia becasue they are thought to have too much dopamine. Unfortunately, this is one reason why antipsychotics carry the risk of tardive dyskinesia and other movement disorders, although this risk is a lot lower with the atypical antipsychotics like seroquel than the older typical antipsychotics like thorazine. The drugs used for RLS, like your mirapex and requip are dopamine receptor agonists, effectively mimicking dopamine and stimulating the dopamine receptors. So I'm thinking maybe the seroquel may counteract the mirapex? Again, it may not be a problem at all. I'm certainly no psychiatrist and expert on these medications, but knowing how they both work its probably worth asking your pdoc about.

Hi Brian,

I'm glad to hear that the combination of Lunesta and Seroquel might be the answer for you. Do you think you are getting restorative sleep, like going into REM, or can you tell? I guess the only way to know would be if you remember if you had any dreams or not. I only ask because I never got it on Ambien, Lunesta and like drugs, but the added Seroquel might be the answer for you. I can relate to the "once your up, you're okay" feeling. I think Cymbalta might help in that regard, although it's just speculation.

That is fascinating information about Seroquel and RLS. I have no plans to ask about going on it actually. I just find it very interesting, since I have many friends who can't sleep, and 70 million Americans have sleep problems. I'm just now learning that there are several drugs I shouldn't take with RLS and of course all AD's are on the list, except Wellbutrin, trazodone, desipramine and Serzone. There is no way I'm going to take trazodone, which is really used to help people sleep because it didn't do well in the AD category. I notice some of the neuroleptics (like Seroquel) are to be used with caution. Like you said, they end up being Dopamine ANTAGONISTS, exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I love Cymbalta and really have no plan to stop taking it. I'd rather try to counter these other problems. I had the RLS before I took the Cymbalta so, I can't blame it, although it might exacerbate the condition some.

Sincerely,

Maddie

Yeah, I do think I am sleeping deeper. REM is not restorative sleep. If you look at brain waves of people who are in REM the waves actually look alot like the brain waves of someone who is awake. The deep sleep stages 3 and 4 are the restorative sleep. I am dreaming though, usually towards the end of the night which is when people dream the most anyway. I dont want to get to into it but as an insomniac I've done alot of reading about sleep and all the cycles. Its really fascinating. If you havent reasarched it much, I recommend you do.

Just curious, what dont you like about trazodone? I took it beofre when I was on lexapro and it wasnt too bad. Have you had a bad experience on it?

Edited by maintainin

Posted · Report post  

Im on 200mg Seroquel, im confused what does XR mean, i dont know the difference. I am also on 25mg going up tomorrow to 50mg of Lamictal. I feel i am a bit more stabilized since being on lamictal. I am also having druing the day 25mg or 50mg extra of seroquel if i feel panicky or stressed which ahs been happening a lot lately

Robyn

Posted · Report post  

They just came out with an XR version. It stands for extended realease.

Posted · Report post  

Yeah, I do think I am sleeping deeper. REM is not restorative sleep. If you look at brain waves of people who are in REM the waves actually look alot like the brain waves of someone who is awake. The deep sleep stages 3 and 4 are the restorative sleep. I am dreaming though, usually towards the end of the night which is when people dream the most anyway. I dont want to get to into it but as an insomniac I've done alot of reading about sleep and all the cycles. Its really fascinating. If you havent reasarched it much, I recommend you do.

Just curious, what dont you like about trazodone? I took it beofre when I was on lexapro and it wasnt too bad. Have you had a bad experience on it?

You're right. I have read that stages 3 & 4 are your restorative stages, however, and correct me if I'm wrong, don't you have to get to these stages before you get to the REM stage and then the sleep cycle begins over again? REM is just something I've used as a gauge, since how can you really know (unless you are hooked up to electrodes) what stages you are truly in? I never was reaching 3 or 4 in my recent sleep study and was constantly moving without even knowing it. It was a disastrous (yet insightful) night to say the least. I have read that Trazodone, although its labeled use is as an antidepressant, is really being used more as a sleep aid. I have never tried it. I know I may not respond that way to it, but I have seen several posts here that state it works great to help people sleep, so that's my concern with it.

Of course Cymbalta makes people sleepy too and like you it keeps me wide awake-ha! You certainly don't have to respond since you don't want to get into it, but these are some of my understandings, whether completely accurate or not.

Posted · Report post  

Yep, you are exactly right about the sleep cycles maddie. In a normal person a sleep cycle usually lasts around 90 minutes. You go into the deep sleep stages and end the cycle in the REM stage. Then it starts over again. As the night goes on the time spent in deep sleep decreases and the time spent in REM increases. Therefore, you get most of your deep sleep towards the beginning of the night and most of your REM towards the end of the night. I read an interesting study a while back where they took depressed people and did a sleep study on them. Everytime they went into a REM Cycle they would be woken up. Their depression scores improved. See the theory is that alot of depressed people dream more than they should and it may be one of the reasons alot of people with depression have early morning awakenings. It may be the bodies defense to suppress the dreaming.