Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Coming Off Effexor

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

ID: 21

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:32 PM

feeling a bit dizzy and nauseous is typical symptoms of comign off efexor.  Not everyone gets them and its unfortunate that your wife is getting them.  I have heard of some people taking Benadryl (anti-histamine) to relieve the symptoms.

Whilst I did not get t hose symptoms, what symptoms I did have lasted just under two weeks, hitting a peak after a week and then getting less.

Perhaps your wife is particularly sensitive to the med change.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#2 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:37 PM

simplymarbleous
just take it slowly in steps of 37.5mg reductions at a time.  That helped me come off with no problems.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#3 simplymarbleous

simplymarbleous

ID: 754

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:05 PM

I am reducing also, the last time I tried to go below 75 mg, I was very irritable, spoiling for a fight (I am very non-violent) and all around feeling like crap. I believe what Lizzy says is true....I am afraid of what I will feel when I am finally off this drug...I take Lithium and Trazedone as well, but I know the Effexor (or other drugs like it) have been in my system for 10 yrs...a long time to go with a security blanket and then just take it away. I only hope my bf and children understand what is about to happen over the next month or so!
:(  :D  ???

Take care
Simply

#4 thedigitel

thedigitel

ID: 1503

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:48 AM

ah the wonderfull zaps... when my dose is low anytime i move my eyes right to left I hear wooshing noises in my brain.

#5 littleblackduck

littleblackduck

Platinum Member

ID: 877

• Platinum Member
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 05:03 PM

Bumpety  :hearts:  :bump:  :shocked:.

If anyone can help Thanks!  We are going to call the Dr. in the a.m. if this persists.  But any response from you guys is welcome!

#6 littleblackduck

littleblackduck

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

Hi,
I am posting for my wife, who is rubber_duckie.  She has registered but has not posted yet.  She is the one who is taking Effexor.  She was on 225mg for over a year and has reduced to 37.5mg over the last several months under Dr. supervision.  Now she is taking the last 2 weeks 37.5mg every other day.  Emotionally, she seems fine.

She has been dizzy and felt nauseous today and wants to know if anyone elase has had this and more importantly, how long does this phase last?

I can't help her as I take Prozac, so I don't know much about Effexor.

:hearts:

#7 Bon

Bon

ID: 792

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

Hi I am coming off of effexor also. Right now, I am down to 37.5. I have been here for about 2 weeks. Just wondering if stomach cramps and the good ole diahrrera is common also. I have had this off and on for about 1 week. Also I experince some dizziness and it feels like my ears are full of cotton. :O
Please let me know, I go to the doctor next month. By the way, he knows I am weaning off of this stuff.
Thanks,
Bon

#8 Lizzy

Lizzy

ID: 17

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

I took 9 weeks to wean off Efexor.  So don't hurry it.  I had electric 'zaps' through my scalp; nausea; fear; but it didn't last once the drug was out of my system.  I even took a small amount on alternate days for a week and then every 3rd day for another week.  Slowly, slowly.......  I think irritability is also a side effect; a certain amount of fear perhaps of how we will feel once the drug is out of our system?  Is she going to start something else?
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#9 SchroedingersCat

SchroedingersCat

Gold Member

ID: 276

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 06:00 PM

firelizardee is right on target here.  These are common symptoms of Effexor withdrawal.  My experiences coming off of Effexor were pretty much the same as hers.  Once I was completely off the drug, I had some similar side effects that peaked after a few days or a week and were over by the end of the second week.

SC
SC Posted Image

#10 littleblackduck

littleblackduck

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 01:40 PM

She is feeling better day by day - Thanks for the replies!  She has been "angrier" since coming off the meds.  Not necessarily at me, just more irritable maybe?  But I know that is probably to be expected when coming off AD's after being on them a while.  She says she "feels so much more" and I think it is overwhelming to her at times.

#11 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:32 PM

The drug info leaflet I have does mention diarhae as a possible side effect of coming off Efexor (usually too quickly or suddenly).
I have also read of others who experienced stomach upsets when coming off effexor.  These things shouldn't last too long (hopefully).    Be sure to drink plenty of water so that you don't become dehydrated, you might also like to ask your dr or pharmacist if there's anything you can take for this - especially as you say you've had this for about a week.  I know that sometimes people with diarhea need to replenish salts and things so this symptom lasting for more than a few days needs some attention.

I hope you don't suffer too much longer.
Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#12 booradley

booradley

Just Registered

ID: 14175

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 04:59 PM

simplymarbleous
just take it slowly in steps of 37.5mg reductions at a time. That helped me come off with no problems.

Eileen

Hi I agree, The real secret for me, now I'm no doctor or trying to give any advice, but what you have to avoid with Effexor is the anticholergenic side effects. While effexor works by blocking norepinepherine and serotonin, there are many other neurochemical imbalences that occur after you change your dose. Anticholergenic side effects are what produce the "unplesant" withdrawl Wyeth calls "Discontinuation Syndrome." The best way you can avoid this is to go slowly. I was at 150mg Effexor XR daily, I then for a week and a half I unscrewed the capsules and dumped some of the spanules out. The three weeks after that I remained on 75 mgs, next I followed my previous practice of dumping roughly a little less than half of the capsules out. Next I went to the 37.5 mg XR for a week then the 37.5mg tablets for a week. I changed to the tablets so that I could more accurately break them in half. A week later I took my last dose. After that, I had some of the hot sweats, the tingling sensations, brain shivers, but nothing like I have heard some describe. I believe that it truly is the patience that you have when going off Effexor that makes all the difference. An over the counter anti-histamines (such as Diphenhydramine) reduced the nausea, sensory effects, and anxiety. If you dont have results with that you might ask your doctor what they think about Hydroxizine or Atarax; a more powerful anti-histamine. Hope this helps someone... just remember to stay true to patience.

#13 sairy mary

sairy mary

ID: 14207

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

simplymarbleous
just take it slowly in steps of 37.5mg reductions at a time. That helped me come off with no problems.

Eileen

Hi I agree, The real secret for me, now I'm no doctor or trying to give any advice, but what you have to avoid with Effexor is the anticholergenic side effects. While effexor works by blocking norepinepherine and serotonin, there are many other neurochemical imbalences that occur after you change your dose. Anticholergenic side effects are what produce the "unplesant" withdrawl Wyeth calls "Discontinuation Syndrome." The best way you can avoid this is to go slowly. I was at 150mg Effexor XR daily, I then for a week and a half I unscrewed the capsules and dumped some of the spanules out. The three weeks after that I remained on 75 mgs, next I followed my previous practice of dumping roughly a little less than half of the capsules out. Next I went to the 37.5 mg XR for a week then the 37.5mg tablets for a week. I changed to the tablets so that I could more accurately break them in half. A week later I took my last dose. After that, I had some of the hot sweats, the tingling sensations, brain shivers, but nothing like I have heard some describe. I believe that it truly is the patience that you have when going off Effexor that makes all the difference. An over the counter anti-histamines (such as Diphenhydramine) reduced the nausea, sensory effects, and anxiety. If you dont have results with that you might ask your doctor what they think about Hydroxizine or Atarax; a more powerful anti-histamine. Hope this helps someone... just remember to stay true to patience.

Im hoping to do someting similar myself.
I used to take 75 mg of slow release effexor then i decided to try to cut it down a little. I used to half the capsules and just take half each day ( i know now i shouldnt have ) but it did work I now take 37.5 mg of the regular effexor.
My doc has said she would like to start weaning me off them now and i would really like to. Im petrified as They are horrible when you have missed one but , as you say if you do it a little at a time it might just work.
Im going to begin by taking 3/4 of my tablet to see how i get on.
I might fall flat on my face but ive got to give it a try.xxxx(fingers crossd aye)
Take time to enjoy lifes little pleasures.x

#14 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

sairymary

if you do it really slow it should be alright, it was with me. I had no real problems.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#15 sairy mary

sairy mary

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 February 2007 - 12:48 PM

sairymary

if you do it really slow it should be alright, it was with me. I had no real problems.

Thanks chuck, today was my first day with a lower doseage. I took my meds this morning instead of last night so i would feel the effects a little more and it really has worked ok.
I have felt a bit headachy and i was very very sleepy this morning but nothing i couldnt cope with, fingers crossed still !.xxxx :hearts:

#16 sairy mary

sairy mary

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 06:50 AM

blimming hell! talk about dopey!
Now i understand why i slept so well of an evening. since ive been taking my meds in the morning instead of the night i could quite happily fall asleep untill about 11am!
I have noticed that my sleep has not been nearly so good either, I usually sleep like a log!
I might try and take the reduced dose inthe evening again, as i nearly fell asleep waiting for the bus yesterday lol!!!!!!

#17 b11664

b11664

ID: 14239

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:36 PM

hi....I'v cut down from 300mg to 37.5mg ( at pressent) with my doctors help. So far so good and hopfully with in the the next few weeks I'll be free of effexor. How ever with in the last few days or so I'v exeperianced headaches. Is this usual. :hearts:

#18 cinnamona666

cinnamona666

Gold Member

ID: 7154

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 03:28 PM

i had my withdrawal effects after going from 37.5 to zero.. i recommend taking 37.5 every other day for awhile.. to titrate even more slowly.
nothing is forever; nothing stays the same
even if you desire it to

^_^

<3laura

i anti-endorse any advertising below my icon =P

#19 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:59 AM

hi....I'v cut down from 300mg to 37.5mg ( at pressent) with my doctors help. So far so good and hopfully with in the the next few weeks I'll be free of effexor. How ever with in the last few days or so I'v exeperianced headaches. Is this usual. :hearts:

I think its not unusual to get some side effects could there be anything else causing the headache?

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users