Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Workplace Drug Testing & Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 hope2bhappier

hope2bhappier

ID: 20893

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

I was offered a job contingent upon a drug test. I just happened to start budeprion sr 150mg on the same day I took the test. Is this going to show up positive for drugs? I get conflicting info. on the net. I do know they check for perscriptions for example someone who abuses hydrocodone. I don't take any other drugs except wellbutrin. I am very nervous because I really need this job.

#2 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

ID: 11138

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

I was offered a job contingent upon a drug test. I just happened to start budeprion sr 150mg on the same day I took the test. Is this going to show up positive for drugs? I get conflicting info. on the net. I do know they check for perscriptions for example someone who abuses hydrocodone. I don't take any other drugs except wellbutrin. I am very nervous because I really need this job.

i doubt you'll have any issues with wellbutrin showing up on a drug screen. they will typically look for THC (illegal drug), illegal drug, PCP, Opiates, Methamphetamines, Methadone, Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Benzodiazepines, Oxycodone, MDMA (ecstasy) and Propoxyphene (PPX) or alcohol.

even if for some reason it does show up, you have a legit prescription you will be fine. i passed a drug screen on risperdal and lamictal.. no questions asked.

keep us posted.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#3 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hi H2bH,

I am not aware of any restrictions on legitimate prescription meds, unless they could interfere with the operation of heavy equipment. I think you are just making yourself uncomfortabe. If you were to get a neg. blood results, you could always appeal and show them your prescription. But I doubt this will ever come up.

Peace and Love... wayne

Sabbat Shalom

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#4 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

"There have been two reported cases of false-positive urine amphetamine tests in persons taking bupropion. Bupropion metabolites erythro-hydrobupropion and threo-hydrobupropion, which have a phenethylamine structure resembling amphetamine are likely to have been responsible for this reaction. More specific follow-up tests were negative."

Be sure to tell them you're taking bupropion, in case this happens. If you get a false-positive, more specific testing will clear things up.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:30 AM

Employment drug screening is for the purpose of finding out if the person isusing illicit drugs. If you receive a false-positive since you just started WB, show the employer your prescription and ask that the test be performed again (the lab should take into consideration you're taking WB.)
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

ID: 15991

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 11:57 AM

No, it will not show up. I work in this area of expertise. We test for all drugs of abuse and "street" drugs. If any of the opiates, benzos or amphetamines pop, we verify that the person has a valid, current prescription for something like this. We do not get any false-positives with Wellbutrin. Hope this helps and good luck in your new job!
Lucinda
:hearts:
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
E'en as joy hath no morrow
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#7 hope2bhappier

hope2bhappier

ID: 20893

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 05:50 PM

Thank you so much :hearts:

#8 nopatience

nopatience

Just Registered

ID: 20950

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 08:52 PM

I'm looking for a job, will I have to tell them I'm taking Lexapro? I would like to keep that private from my future employer

#9 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 12:55 PM

I'm looking for a job, will I have to tell them I'm taking Lexapro? I would like to keep that private from my future employer

In my experience, I would have to say yes, if you have to have a pre-employment physical. Tell the doctor or PA your medical history. If you feel stabilze enough on Lexapro and it's working fine for you, be sure to tell the doc just that. It is kept confident and also protects your job if you have a crisis in the future and need to take off. All of this is contingent on if the place of employment has an adequate illness or time-off policy.
If you don't tell them and you become sicker, in which you need time off, it could be considered a pre-existing condition and you could lose your job because you didn't disclose it.
In other words, only disclose to a health care provider during a pre-employment physical. If you don't require a physical and nobody knows your medical problems, there is no need to tell them. You'll accumulate sick time and be able to take it in the future if need be. Good luck in finding a job!
Lucinda

Edited by Lucinda, 03 December 2007 - 12:56 PM.

Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#10 nemoaus

nemoaus

Just Registered

ID: 21171

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 04:17 AM

Hello, I take Efexor 75mg and find that it controls my depression. I am applying for a new job that has a policy of compulsory random urine drug testing. Wikipedia states that Efexor may cause a false positive being mistaken for PCP. Has anyone had any experience with urine drug testing and Efexor?

Cheers. Nemo

#11 Guest_john_v_r_*

Guest_john_v_r_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:34 PM

I wouldn't worry about unless/until you get a positive test result, Nemo. Then show them your prescription. Otherwise, it's none of their business. If you get turned down because of Effexor or depression, and neither impairs your ability to do the job, then they are in violation of the Americans With Disabilites Act.

#12 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:54 AM

Hello, I take Efexor 75mg and find that it controls my depression. I am applying for a new job that has a policy of compulsory random urine drug testing. Wikipedia states that Efexor may cause a false positive being mistaken for PCP. Has anyone had any experience with urine drug testing and Efexor?

Cheers. Nemo

Howdy!
I wouldn't believe everything you read in Wikipedia.
If you are taking a prescribed medication and can verify that by either physician note or prescription bottle, then you have not a thing to worry about. Again, you would be disclosing this only in a pre-employment medical screening setting; not to your supervisor or manager, that would raise a red flag for me. I highly doubt that there is anyplace in the U.S. that performs pre-employment drug testing without being under the direction of a physician of some sort. Even if Human Resources is coordinating the testing, it is still considered medically confidential information.
When I started the job that I'm in now, I did not have to perform a drug test; but, I did get a pre-employment physical. The Health Care Provider was a Nurse Practioner and I disclosed that I had been treated for episodes of depression, was currently on Wellbutrin and 100% stabile (at least at the time I was). She noted it in my health record and that was it. Nothing more said. Protects my job if I wig out and covers the hospital if I really go postal (just kidding).
I'm a Medical Technologist and have been performing drug testing on both legal and medical samples for many years. From my experience, none of the SSRI's, Wellbutrin or Effexor cause a false positive for any drugs of abuse. BTW, not many labs routinely test for PCP. The tops are Amphetamines, Barbiturates, Benzos, THC, LSD (in some labs), Ecstasy, illegal drug, Opiates, Ketamine (in some labs).
So, here is how it goes for legal or pre-employment; we perform the basic quantitative drug screen. There is a cut-off value established depending on the methodology and if the result falls below this cut-off value, we report as negative. If above the cut-off value, we repeat it. If it pops again, we perform spectrophotometry on the pee for whatever drug popped and that will tell us exactly what you put in your body. For example, if it's an opiate, we can tell if it is hydrocodone, oxycodone, codeine, morphine, herion, etc. Spectrophotometry will clarify any potential false-positives obtained on preliminary testing.
Don't worry, you guys will be alright; as long as you aren't taking drugs of abuse illegally!
Ciao,
Lucinda
:hearts:
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

#13 Midnight Aria

Midnight Aria

ID: 21464

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 10:12 PM

I work for my local government and drug screening is a routine part of the pre-employment process. Also, we are all subject to random drug tests. But before you actually go and give a urine sample, you are given a questionnaire asking you to list what meds you take (both prescription and over the counter) and when was the last time you took them. As the others said, as long as you have a valid prescription you will have no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users