Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor for panic disorder, social anxiety?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 libra

libra

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

I can say that I don't have panic attacks quite as bad as I did before I started effexor.  There are still times when I forget to breathe due to stress but it doesn't elevate past that except maybe a headache.  I don't have the fear that was attached to it all anymore and the urge to flee is much lower also.  
Hope my input helps.

#2 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:52 PM

bushleaguer
effexor is prescribed for people with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, so it might be a possible help for you.  I got effexor for depression but I have read that a lot of people do take it for anxiety.  

Perhaps you could mention it to your dr and see what she thinks.

Don't be too alarmed about the bad stuff you've read about coming off effexor.  Its true that some people have had a bad time coming off but many others (including myself) have had very minor side effects.  The best way to come off effexor is long and slow.  Don't worry about that till you have to cos it might do wonders for you.

I have heard of some folk say that it made their anxiety worse but unless you try the med you won't know how it might affect you.  You suffer from anxiety so I'm wondering how much of the worries you have are due to your anxiety rather than fact.

Anyway whatever you do, good luck to you.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#3 bushleaguer

bushleaguer

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:42 PM

Thanks libra...that input definitely helps.

#4 bushleaguer

bushleaguer

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:05 AM

I have heard of some folk say that it made their anxiety worse but unless you try the med you won't know how it might affect you.  You suffer from anxiety so I'm wondering how much of the worries you have are due to your anxiety rather than fact.

Thanks for the input, Eileen.

No, I wouldn't say that my worries are caused by my already-present anxiety. I've been doing some research on the web regarding this med, and was alarmed by the amount of negative reviews it has gotten re: discontinuation, side-effects and so on. Then again, it seems to be more natural for people to post about something only when there is a problem. Visit an automobile site and you won't find too many "I've had this car for 2 years and have had no problems" posts.

I was just asking because I haven't found too many success stories regarding effexor and my condition - so I don't want to jump aboard a medication if there isn't a decent chance it will help.

Thanks again.

#5 bushleaguer

bushleaguer

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 11:49 PM

Sorry to have posted unnecessarily.

#6 libra

libra

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 01:52 PM

I don't think she meant it like that!  :)

#7 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 08 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

I was just pointing out where there were some success stories, wasn't meant as a rebuke.

eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#8 bushleaguer

bushleaguer

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 11:34 PM

Hello,

I was diagnosed with panic disorder and social anxiety disorder last summer. Since then I've tried Paxil (short duration, stopped due to losts of nausea), Zoloft and currently Lexapro. None of the aforementioned meds have helped my anxiety to any degree. Lexapro has actually made it worse. I have an appointment with my doctor next Thursday, and I suspect that he is going to recommend changing to another medication. I still have Prozac as a possibility, but I don't see it helping seeing how 2 solid tries with other SSRIs didn't do anything. I know that Effexor is an SNRI, thus its different.

Has anyone been prescribed Effexor for either panic disorder or social anxiety disorder and had success with it? I've read plenty of bad things about this med. - i.e. difficulty getting off it. But at this point I would be willing to give anything a try to get to a place in my life where anxiety isn't in control.

Thanks for any info.

#9 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 08:51 AM

there is a thread of Effexor success stories near the top of the page, see the pinned topics.
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#10 sleepingsoundly

sleepingsoundly

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Hello,

I was diagnosed with panic disorder and social anxiety disorder last summer. Since then I've tried Paxil (short duration, stopped due to losts of nausea), Zoloft and currently Lexapro. None of the aforementioned meds have helped my anxiety to any degree. Lexapro has actually made it worse. I have an appointment with my doctor next Thursday, and I suspect that he is going to recommend changing to another medication. I still have Prozac as a possibility, but I don't see it helping seeing how 2 solid tries with other SSRIs didn't do anything. I know that Effexor is an SNRI, thus its different.

Has anyone been prescribed Effexor for either panic disorder or social anxiety disorder and had success with it? I've read plenty of bad things about this med. - i.e. difficulty getting off it. But at this point I would be willing to give anything a try to get to a place in my life where anxiety isn't in control.

Thanks for any info.

I'm sorry I cant say anything good about Effexor...but I had horrible side effects on it and honestly thought I was gonna die when I came off it. Ended up in hospital. Really long story. Some people have had good luck on it, but there are some pretty horrifying stories too. Good luck and go see your doc the second something dont seem right!

#11 lonleysindy

lonleysindy

• Platinum Member
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

i found it worked for about 4 years then it stopped, i was also given clonazapan because my cause is bad. even with effexor i still had the shakes and butterflies but the overwhelming dome was lifted by it
Love Yourself, Like You've Never Been Loved Before
Accept Yourself, Good and Bad
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users