Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor and Wellbutrin together

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kaitrin

Kaitrin

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 11:24 AM

I have tried a number of antidepressants over the past few years: Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, and Lexapro. None of them worked for me. So my doctor has me taking both Effexor and Wellbutrin to see if the combination works. I'm taking 150mg WellbutrinSR and 75mg EffexorXR. So far it doesn't seem to be doing much, but maybe I haven't waited long enough (less than 4 weeks) or maybe I need higher doses. Has anyone used this combination or know much about it? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-
Kaitrin

#2 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 12:57 PM

kaitrin I think there may be a thread on the old DF site.  Have a look there or look at the next post, I've copied the old thread into this one.  
cheers.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#3 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:01 PM

+---Topic: Effexor & Wellbutrin
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by: alliebear on Nov. 13 2003,11:17

My fiancee has been on Effexor SR for about six months. His dr. recently added 150 mgs of Wellbutrin. Anyone on this combo?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: jaguar on Nov. 13 2003,11:51

not me (I only wish!!), but I do know a couple of people who are.
Posted by: I am Cat on Nov. 18 2003,09:36

I am weaning off Wellbutrin (150 mg as of now) and going onto Effexor (37.5 mg)

so far, so good.  I actually feel pretty good.  I really hated Wellbutrin.  And, although I feel funny (tingling in extremities) physically, I feel good emotionally at the moment.
Posted by: Orso on Nov. 18 2003,17:26

Not I!!  Wellbutrin & I didn't mix - maybe you can take a peek in the WEllbutrin room?
Posted by: I am Cat on Nov. 19 2003,15:03

I didn't and don't care for Hellbutrin either, but since my dose has been halfed and Effexor has been added in, I'm feeling pretty good.  I know it's only been about a week, but just backing off on the Hellbutrin has been a nice change.  That, and the loss of Lamictal, has left my brain a lot less clouded as of late.  I am weaning off Hellbutrin and coming onto Effexor.  If this is any indicator, I'm going to like this.  Maybe just the low dose is what I need?  The Hellbutrin got worse as the dose got higher.  I was in a constant tunnel and fog cloud.  I hated it.

This is a better place to be

Cat

Posted by: Guest on Nov. 20 2003,06:17

I always thought Efexxor was an awesome AD.  When I was on it (nearly 3 years) I had almost no anxiety at all, especiallys social anxiety...It was so awesome.  But it made my head too cloudy.  My doc said that this is because of my ADD, which is why Wellbutrin has been a good change for me.  Hasn't done much for my depression, but enough, and has done NOTHING for my anxiety, but I'll be darned if I can't think straight!!      Cat , if you have a lot of anxiety and panic attacks, I think you are going to really like Effexor.

LL
Posted by: Guest on Nov. 20 2003,12:04

just a month ago added 300mg. of effexor xr. daily to 450mg. of wellbutrin sr. daily and love the combination!! wellbutrin seems to work much better when combined with another antidepressant such as effexor

Posted by: I am Cat on Nov. 20 2003,15:20

LL,
when i go manic, i have anxiety and/or panic attacks, but i haven't had any in a long time.  however, i can feel myself moving toward the opposite pole in the last few days (thankfully).  I really don't have anxiety usually.  I'm pretty mellow mostly (contrary to popular belief).  But if I'm the least bit manic, i'm pent up and anxious.  So, if that happens, i'll be needing those properties that Effexor has to offer.   For now though, I just need something to get me out of the clouds.  I'm feeling good again today and I like it.  I have one more day on the 37.5 mg. dose and then I'm up to the 75 mg. dose.  I hope that the good feelings continue.  I'm not sleeping though, so that's a concern.  Might be leaning toward mania.  (more fun than depression though).  Wish me luck!  Hopefully my two mood stabilizers can hold down the fort and the Effexor won't rock the boat.  Cross your fingers (might be a bumpy ride!)

Posted by: Guest on Nov. 21 2003,14:09

I was on Effexor for about eight months or so.  I had to quit b/c of some unexplained elavation of liver enzymes that the doctors thought were caused by the Effexor.  Who knows though?  

I lost tons and tons of weight on Effexor....as I was pretty keyed up on it.  I had super powered focus and ability.  I don't remember Effexor doing anything for my anxiety though..but it was a long time ago.  I'm so keyed up as it is naturally it's hard to tell anxiety from hyperactivity.   I loved being on it.  
The start up side effects were hard for me though.  No sleep, nausea and a foggy feeling.  But they ended quickly.  

Now Wellbutrin...LOL...oh boy sorry not for me.  That drug was NOT made for people like me.  I can see how great it is for those who have the kind of depression that keeps them in bed all day.  It's very stimulating.  In the short week I was on it, I had a massive increase in libido and massive decrease in appetite....I'm sad to see those go.  

My pdoc believes that Effexor and WB make an excellent combination of an AD...and he would like me to be on both.  Ain't no way I'm going back on WB.  LOL.

Good luck,
J
Posted by: Lindsay on Nov. 21 2003,15:48

Quote from I am Cat, posted on Nov. 19 2003,17:03

---------------------QUOTE-------------------
I didn't and don't care for Hellbutrin either, but since my dose has been halfed and Effexor has been added in, I'm feeling pretty good.  I know it's only been about a week, but just backing off on the Hellbutrin has been a nice change.  That, and the loss of Lamictal, has left my brain a lot less clouded as of late.  I am weaning off Hellbutrin and coming onto Effexor.  If this is any indicator, I'm going to like this.  Maybe just the low dose is what I need?  The Hellbutrin got worse as the dose got higher.  I was in a constant tunnel and fog cloud.  I hated it.

This is a better place to be

Cat

---------------------QUOTE-------------------

For you cat, it is better.  Wellbutrin does not react in that way for the hundreds of thousands of people it helps daily.
There is no cloudiness or fog.  If there is, then it is a certain sign Wellbutrin is not the drug for you, dear.

I cannot take any ssri's because I am left lethargic on it.
Everyone of us is different with different needs.
Best wishes on the Effexor sweetie.  
Posted by: firelizardee on Nov. 22 2003,06:34

I am Cat
be careful about the efexor it has been known and documented for it to cause a manic episode for folks with Bipolar Disorder.

Eileen

Posted by: I am Cat on Nov. 22 2003,13:53

Thanks Lindsay!

and Eileen... I'm watching for the manic episode (wouldn't mind a little hypomanic behaviour) because I know that any AD can spin about a manic episode.  I am still on Topamax and Abilify to stabilize my moods, but I know that the Effexor could still tip the scales.  The pdoc is watching it closely, as am I.  I missed two nights of sleep lately and have been concerned about mania.  But feel very sleepy, so am sure that I'm safe so far.  I'm looking for the signs.  Thanks for the heads up though.
After so much depression, mania sounds tempting, but I know that in reality, it's not a good idea.  

love and laughter to you
Cat
Posted by: max on Nov. 24 2003,14:36

I take Effexor and Wb and like the combination.  No sexual problems as far as orgasms, but I'm not usually thinking about it or motivated to initiate it.  I will respond when approached by my husband.
Posted by: Guest on Jan. 16 2004,22:59

wehn i added wellbutrin to my eeffexor xr, i felt like i was on speed ... so i had to stopity stop takin the wellbutrin
Posted by: Ocracoker16 on Jan. 17 2004,07:41

I am on 400 mg Wellbutrin SR and have been on it for over two and a half years.  I just added Effexor XR in a few days ago.  I have been on Effexor XR before but not with Wellbutrin.  I switched from Celexa so I could get some action with norephinephrine.  I will watch this board and update when I get the chance.

Katie  
Posted by: max on Jan. 19 2004,17:42

I was on Wb and Effexor for a long time with no problem.  Wb helped with sexual response.  I got tired of being spacey, so am weaning off the Effexor.
Posted by: wfwilliams on Feb. 03 2004,11:05

I was taking Wellbutrin SR & Lexapro together, however the combo seemed to just stop working after a bit.  The doctor has now prescribed Effexor XR & Wellbutrin SR.  I'm really concerned I'm gonna gain weight.  That's all I need to add to my worries is my weight too.  I gained 25lbs. with the initial start of Lexapro and it took forever to get that off.  Can anyone share any positive experiences about the Effexor & Wellbutrin combo??  
Posted by: Guest on Feb. 03 2004,22:56

I started out on Celexa, then Switched to Wellbutrin, then added Effexor.  I have been on the WellbutrinXR (300mg) and Effexor (225mg) combo for about 6 months now and I am doing well.  At least I think.  I did have a panic attack yesterday, but that was due to high stress at work and not the meds.  The meds have been good.

I guess anit-depressants are like any other meds, they work different on different people.  It took awhile for my doc and I to find what was right for me, and it may be that way for you, too.  I think some people who post here have been on every AD drug there is.  But when you find the right one, it is so nice to be normal again, so I think it is worth it.  Besides, I have had no side effects from this combo which is really nice.

Kyrka
Posted by: solasystem on Feb. 07 2004,17:46

I am on this combo, it works best for me, better than anything I have ever been on.  I am better than I have ever been because of this combo (though I have had some bad stress lately due to other things) this combo is great for me.
SOla  
Posted by: SadnOhio on Feb. 07 2004,22:36

Hi room,

I have been on Effexor before 300 mg, and added Remeron with it.  Worked better than anything else so far.  Pdoc is always looking for a better mousetrap, so I am on Wellbutrin 300 mg XL with Remeron, and was on Lexapro too.  

Lexapro was a real drag for me.  Doing better without this one in the mix all together.

Have not been able to bite the bullet and start Effexor again.  Effexor is not something I can not just switch to another drug, without terriable problems for too long a time.  

Wellbutrin at it's best is not as good as Effexor for me at it's worst.  I guess tow negatives might equal one positive.   Just don't have the guts yet to tackle Effexor again.

Ohio
Posted by: Guest on Feb. 23 2004,22:11

I take 150mg Effexor XR and 150mg Wellbutrin XL in the morning with breakfast.  I did fine with the Effexor alone for a while, but the sexual side effect (impotence) was rather aggravating.  I was seeing a pdoc who ended up moving last year and my new one found out I was taking Serzone and asked me to switch to Effexor XR.  It was a good switch, but he had me take it in combo with Wellbutrin XL at the same time and I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest.  I mean, let's face it...  there are only so many dishes in the house you can wash in one day!  Anyway, I stayed off it to get used to to changeover and I was reintroduced to Wellbutrin again in January.  I didn't have the heart pounding episode like I did the first go around, but I have noticed I still get what I call "brain shocks" every once in a while(I'm curious what the proper term for those are?).  I'm starting to feel somewhat normal again as far as mood regulation.  The thing that bothers me is that, since I had such a reaction to Wellbutrin the first time, I keep looking at every little thing as a possible symptom of the medication.  I can say that the Effexor alone did well, but, like the Serzone, it only did so much for the anxiety along with the depression.  I have more energy now with the Wellbutrin added in, but I have noticed a few things different in my body's reaction with it.  I'll keep up with this as I go along.    
Posted by: jerlyn on Mar. 22 2004,17:38

I've been on Effexor for a couple of years.  Hasn't really helped anxiety, however, if I miss a day--I'm a basket case.
Hasn't helped my main problem which is poor concentration
and inability to multi-task.  
This is my first forum, helps to be involved with people with
similar problems.  Thanks
                      Beth
Posted by: BonnieR on Mar. 27 2004,17:43

Can anyone relate to this. I had been taking 150mgs of effexor and about 3 weeks ago my doctor added Wellbutrin, starting at a lower dose and now up to 300 XL. He told me to start coming down taking the effexor to 75 mgs. First 4 weeks I was to alternate between 150 one day and the next 75. Fifth week I was to start just taking 75 mgs. every day which I have done. Last night, I woke up because I thought I felt something that felt like when someone hits a telephone poll and all the electric goes out, but it was in my head. This woke me up and I said to my husband what was that. It was very scary and today I have felt really wierd. Do you think this is coming off the effexor or the wellbutrin.  Any info would be appreciated. Also I hope this makes since, but it is so hard to exlpain.  Thanks Bonnie  
Posted by: bebo on April 10 2004,16:25

I have been on Effexor-Wellbutrin for 3 years and have done great with it until recently.  I am having some breakthrough depression and anxiety so my pdoc inc the wellbutrin from 100SR to 300XL - so far no change (its been 10 days) but I hope this helps.  The last 3 years were great - unfortunately one of the two drugs seems to be 'wearing off' for me although I dont know which one.  

If anyone else has experienced this I would love to know what you did for it - thanks!

bebo
Posted by: Ocracoker16 on April 10 2004,18:37

I went forward with the Wellbutrin SR and Effexor XR combo I posted about back in January.  I added Effexor XR to my WB SR 400 mgs.  I went up to 300 mgs on the Effexor XR.  For the first month it did not seem to work as well as Wellbutrin SR and Celexa.  I was not that pleased with the combo, but I convinced myself that I was just going through a rough time because of my grandma's death.  A couple of weeks later I shot through the roof with a major manic episode which I almost was hospitalized for.  I started tapering off on the Effexor.  I have been off of it and free of withdrawal symptoms for almost a month, but I am still recovering from the mania.  For now I am going to stick with the Wellbutrin as my only antidepressant.  I am dissappointed about Effexor, because I had luck a few years ago with it for 4 months.  Now I spend so much time thinking about mood stabilizers and antipsychotics.  I am sure that will change in a few months.  I thank being bipolar for that of course.

Katie  
Posted by: GunshotGlitter on April 21 2004,09:01

Hello all,

I have been on 300mg of Wellbutrin XL for about 7 months now.  When the wellbutrin first started to become effective it worked great. I had energy, I felt emotions for the first time in years, but then it just started making me angry and worried all of the time.  I finally got to a doctor that has started me on the Effexor XR and I like it thus far.  My wellbutrin dropped to a 150mg and I am working my way up to 75mg a day with the effexor.

I have only been on the effexor for two days and I swear I notice things from it already.  One thing being my eye sight seems remarkably sharper.  Has anyone else noticed this?
Posted by: firelizardee on April 21 2004,14:26

Hi
yes I noticed that as well in the beginning.  It was as though I could see farther in the distance.   I also noticed that I was a bit sensitive to sunlight - the lights seemed too bright.  Noises seemed too loud as well.  

Thats just some of the initial side effects.  They don't last long.  You may also notice that your pupils are very noticeable, almost as though you were stoned.  Don't worry about it.  

Take care.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#4 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 01:57 PM

Hi, I was in that thread about the combo.  I combined 300 of Effexor XR and 400 of Wellbutrin.  I thought it was working ok until I suddenly got manic.  I had been manic on Effexor and Serzone together, but I had never been manic on Effexor or Wellbutrin alone.  Kaitrin, you might think about raising the Effexor.  As you know Effexor affects both serotonin and norephinephrine.  At 75 mgs most of the benefit comes from serotonin and I noticed that the SSRI's have not worked for you.  Maybe you need a little more norephinephrine.  Just a thought.

Katie  :idea3:

Katie

#5 momerella

momerella

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 12:25 PM

I've was on EffexorXR, 75mg, for two years. I've been on them all for a total of 10 years. I'm now on the regular Effexor, 75mg, because it's cheaper through my insurance. I have to split the pills in half because I noticed if I took a whole one in the morning, by evening I was getting the withdrawal symptoms (zaps!). But now I'm noticing that it isn't really helping with my depression. I also take Xanax for anxiety, as it is severe. I'm thinking about switching, but as I tried to get off of Paxil and Effexor once, experiencing severe withdrawal symptoms, I'm afraid of switching. I was on Prozac for quite a while and it worked well. But got switched as new ones came back. Has anyone switched from Effexor to something else without any withdrawal problems, meaning would I have to taper off Effexor while adding the new one? I absolutely cannot stand the withdrawal symptoms, which is depressing in itself knowing I'll be on something for the rest of my life.

I tried simply switching to Welbutrin, but got the withdrawal symptoms so I couldn't do that.

#6 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hello Momerella!

I have to split the pills in half because I noticed if I took a whole one in the morning, by evening I was getting the withdrawal symptoms (zaps!).

Be careful when doing this. Splitting breaks the coating on the pills, and can change how your body absorbs the med. Better to take 2 pills of lower mgs each day than to split 1 higher mg pill.

But now I'm noticing that it isn't really helping with my depression. I also take Xanax for anxiety, as it is severe.

Talk to you doc. He/She will know what's best for you. You may a new med altogether, or perhaps another med in addition to the Effexor.

Has anyone switched from Effexor to something else without any withdrawal problems, meaning would I have to taper off Effexor while adding the new one? I absolutely cannot stand the withdrawal symptoms, which is depressing in itself knowing I'll be on something for the rest of my life.

I tried simply switching to Welbutrin, but got the withdrawal symptoms so I couldn't do that.

Unfortunately, there will be withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking the Effexor. There's really no way around these symptoms. Sometime Xanax is just enough to take the edge off . The good news is, the SEs are temporary and will be gone in about a week.

I urge you to speak with your doc. Together, you'll be able to come up with a new game plan for you. Please let us know how things go.

:hearts:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#7 lilly32

lilly32

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:31 PM

I have tried a number of antidepressants over the past few years: Paxil, Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac, Effexor, and Lexapro. None of them worked for me. So my doctor has me taking both Effexor and Wellbutrin to see if the combination works. I'm taking 150mg WellbutrinSR and 75mg EffexorXR. So far it doesn't seem to be doing much, but maybe I haven't waited long enough (less than 4 weeks) or maybe I need higher doses. Has anyone used this combination or know much about it? Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks-
Kaitrin

Yes, I've been on both Wellbutrin and Effexor for roughly 9 months. My life has changed 100%. First, the psychopharmacologist started me on Wellbutrin which made me feel worse, if possible. I got to the point I couldn't get out of bed. Then he added effexor....started with 75 and increased the dosage. I'm on 300 m.g. Effexor which is, I believe, the standard full strength dosage. I have no depressive symptoms and live a completely normal life.

Suggest you go back to your shrink (it should be a shrink or psychopharmacologist prescribing meds like these) and tell him you're still depressed.
How would the Lone Ranger handle this?

#8 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hello Lilly:

So glad to hear that you're doing well and that the EB/Effexor combo is working for you.

I'm on 300 m.g. Effexor which is, I believe, the standard full strength dosage. I have no depressive symptoms and live a completely normal life.

I take 450 mgs of Effexor. From what I understand that is a very high dosage. I read somewhere that it is above the drug manufacturer's recommendation, but it's what works. I also take WB and a few others.

Thanks for sharing your story, Lilly. Please be sure to keep us posted on how you're doing.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#9 greybird2003

greybird2003

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

Hello Lilly:

So glad to hear that you're doing well and that the EB/Effexor combo is working for you.

I'm on 300 m.g. Effexor which is, I believe, the standard full strength dosage. I have no depressive symptoms and live a completely normal life.

I take 450 mgs of Effexor. From what I understand that is a very high dosage. I read somewhere that it is above the drug manufacturer's recommendation, but it's what works. I also take WB and a few others.

Thanks for sharing your story, Lilly. Please be sure to keep us posted on how you're doing.

-Bean

Bean,
Did you have any issues when starting the Wellbutrin with the Effexor? I had a terrible anxiety attack about a week into the combination and I have been great on the Effexor alone. We added the Wellbutrin to try to combat some of the weight gain issues.

#10 curler1

curler1

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 07:50 AM

has anyone tried desiprimaine and effexor together?

#11 Fuzzman24

Fuzzman24

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

I have been taking 400mg of wellbutrin sr for about 4 months now. it worked well for the first month or so but now it has just not been the same. my dr. is switching me to effexor xr as of tomorrow. I am just a little worried about withdrawal from wellbutrin. I was otold to just stop the well and start taking the effexor. I am out of wellbutrin and I am picking up the effexor tomorrow, should I be concerned that I was told to just stop without weaning? I also take a very small dose of lexapro (5 mg

I would appreciate any input

#12 cathy lynn

cathy lynn

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

i go to the dr tomorrow and hope to get pristiq and wellbutrin pristiq is just the new effexor
i have my hopes up this is my mircle combo
cathy

Edited by cathy lynn, 05 August 2009 - 08:50 PM.

everyday is pain, shame and misery

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users