Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

sertraline mixed with alcohol

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 tim

tim

• PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:23 AM

I drink semi-regularly whilst on sertraline - the doctor having said I can have a bit to drink, but not too much.  I had rather too much the other day, for the first time since I've been on it really, and the effects the day after were ... not pleasant mood wise, shall we say.

#2 Sammy

Sammy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:20 AM

I looked up information on alcohol and sertraline at one of the drug sites, Mosby's drug consult, and this is what it had to say:

"Alcohol
Although Zoloft did not potentiate the cognitive and psychomotor effects of alcohol in experiments with normal subjects, the concomitant use of Zoloft and alcohol is not recommended."
none

#3 oh_dear

oh_dear

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 02:52 PM

thaks for the reply :)
i've been so convinced that counseling wouldn't be able too help me, but maybe its just arrogance, i think i'll give it a go..... maybe ....

#4 oh_dear

oh_dear

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:38 AM

hi, my psychiactric guy has prescribed me with 50mg of sertraline, with the order of no alcohol, i was told this previously when using citalopram and prozac and tried my best to minimise it but its ****** hard seeing as every social event pretty much centers around alcohol, at least on weekends anyway.
  I'm using it for, depression, OCD and social anxiety
i'm pretty doubtful it'll work seeing as the past two haven't and my motivation to stop drinking is lessening the more i doubt the possibilitys of drinking. I'm not in any way addicted its just that especially being shy and having social anxiety alcohol is very useful when it comes to going out....
  i've searched the web a bit and all i ever get is "no studies have been conducted on alcohol use with this drug" etc etc, so i was just wondering if anyone has had any success with this drug while continuing with drinking, i dont really mind not drinking during the week but at least one night a week, sometimes two i'd like to be able to have a few (quite a few)... infact can anyone who has found this drug useful after finding others didn't work please let me know, i really need to know if i'm just wasting my time i'm sick of this seratonin void I NEED HAPPINESS !

#5 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:19 PM

oh_dear,

The problem with alcohol combined with ANY antidepressant is that alcohol itself is a depressant.  When you drink you basically undo the positive effects of the AD.  I occasionally have one or two beers (maybe once or twice a year) and have not seen any problems.  But to regularly drink any amount, especially a lot, can't help depression.

Are you getting any sort of counseling to help with your anxiety, OCD and depression?  Maybe you can get more help that way, and either overcome the need to drink to socialize and therefore get more benefit from your ADs, or else to learn to deal with your problems without needing medication.  Either way, it seems like counseling would be very helpful for you.

Hopefully some other members will be able to answer your question about finding zoloft helpful when other ADs have not been.  I was helped by zoloft, but I've also been helped by several other ADs, so I can't really answer that part of your question.

I hope you will read around the board.  There is so much information here!  You might very well find some more info as you look around here.

Karen
Life is hard, but God is good.

Pam Thum

ados for Depression Forums Administration
Original DF join date: October 25, 2001 Posted Image

#6 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:44 PM

i think i'll give it a go..... maybe ....

:D   I know what you mean.  It is too bad, but it seems like we try awful hard to put off getting proper help for our mental or emotional illnesses.  If I was having bad chest pains, or even a bad sore throat, of course I would see a doctor.  But right now I am finding it very difficult to seek out a psychiatrist, when I know that would help me with my mental problems.  Probably your hesitation to seek counseling is the same sort of thing.  

I do hope that one day we will be so much more familiar with mental problems that it will be just commonplace to seek out pdocs, counselors, and whatever help is best.  Society is beginning to be more open to this; I think it just takes time for all of us to make treating mental illness as routine as it now is to treat physical illness.

Oh_dear, please do get some counseling.  Keep with it; sometimes certain people don't "click" and you have to switch to someone who helps you better.  But it will be worth it!!!  Let us know how you are doing, okay?

:)

Karen

Pam Thum

#7 labrat

labrat

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:28 PM

alcohol and mind altering drugs aren't the best mix, but I know where your coming from. i like to go every week end. To not drink and go out sober kinda sucks sometimes. but the only drawbacks I found were it took about 3 days after a hard drinking night to start feeling normal again. I would feel a bit down and edgy then it would go away

#8 joeloveys

joeloveys

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

I can relate to this one. I've mixed the two quite a lot over the years. If I am doing well, then I think drinking just has its usual effects. But if I drink when feeling depressed, it does seem undermine the value of that 50mg pill.

#9 jamespds

jamespds

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

I can relate to this one. I've mixed the two quite a lot over the years. If I am doing well, then I think drinking just has its usual effects. But if I drink when feeling depressed, it does seem undermine the value of that 50mg pill.

drinkin' is not ok
hello

#10 fade out

fade out

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:51 AM

I've drunk quite a few times while on sertraline and each time it was ok until someone pointed out how aggressive I've been getting when drunk lately. It has to be related cause I used to be a very friendly drunk and since taking the meds I've shouted at loads of people and tackled somebody to the ground. It upsets me cause I'm never aggressive so I'm quitting drinking for a while. I think maybe it's time I started paying attention to what doctors say.

#11 formerfon

formerfon

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

I'm new on these boards too and a bit lost, but I found a post from one of the moderators that was very helpful regarding Sertraline and alcohol- that it can actually cause a compulsion to drink in some people. Sure you can find it if you do a search on sertraline, fyi.

I've drunk quite a few times while on sertraline and each time it was ok until someone pointed out how aggressive I've been getting when drunk lately. It has to be related cause I used to be a very friendly drunk and since taking the meds I've shouted at loads of people and tackled somebody to the ground. It upsets me cause I'm never aggressive so I'm quitting drinking for a while. I think maybe it's time I started paying attention to what doctors say.

#12 evenstar

evenstar

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hi there. I'm new to these boards so bare with me. I am on 150mg sertraline for anxiety and ocd. I was a student and used to be able to drink most of my friends under the table, however since I've been on the pills, 1/2 pint of guiness and I'm v tipsy, tearful and irrational, and the next day I feel terrible, takes me a couple of days to feel "normal" again. I guess its down to your own judgement and how it makes you feel afterwards, but from personal experience, I've decided to steer clear

#13 formerfon

formerfon

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:06 PM

I am not a medical expert by any means, but I can share my experience and what I have seen in others. I have heard other women say that Sertraline increases the potency of alcohol for them- I never had that sense, although I did with Xanax- it supposedly can have a geometric effect on alcohol; 1=1, 2=4, etc. My problem, as the previous article substantiates, is that when I take sertraline I just want to keep drinking.

Regardless you are wise to recognize the two don't mix....

Hi there. I'm new to these boards so bare with me. I am on 150mg sertraline for anxiety and ocd. I was a student and used to be able to drink most of my friends under the table, however since I've been on the pills, 1/2 pint of guiness and I'm v tipsy, tearful and irrational, and the next day I feel terrible, takes me a couple of days to feel "normal" again. I guess its down to your own judgement and how it makes you feel afterwards, but from personal experience, I've decided to steer clear

#14 aimee

aimee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:28 AM

Hello!

I have now been taking Zoloft (50) for around 20 days for depression and social anxiety. I had a few drinks the other night (I was fine while I was drinking) but the next day I felt edgy and all over the place. It took me a few days to get grounded again.

It seems as though I am back to where I started (or even worse then when I started) each time that I drink.

I dont drink that often, but it is frustrating me that I cant do it if I want to - I mean hangovers are bad enough, and everyone pretty much gets those - why should taking Zoloft make me feel worse!

#15 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 03:07 PM

why should taking Zoloft make me feel worse

Possibly because alcohol is a depressant, so it tends to undo whatever good effects the zoloft is doing for your system. :)

Pam Thum

#16 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,940 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Alcohol and any psychiatric medicines do not mix well. In some cases, it will heighten the effect of the AD or nullify it. When the latter happens we become more depressed than usual. I will admit I have the occasional drink with my meds-Zoloft being one. Drinking seems to nullify the effectiveness of the Ads and stabilizers I am currently taking, I know the next day I will be off kilter. I do not recommend nor to I advocate the use of alcohol with any med. I know I am not perfect but I know the aftermath of drinking so those of you have had ill effects, stop drinking. It's not necessary to drink while with your friends. Have a soda, coffee, or tea and become the "designated driver" for your group. I am sure your friends will appreciate having someone who stays sober.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#17 aimee

aimee

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:30 PM

I understand that alcohol is a depressant, and that it would reverse the effects of meds... I am just saying that it is unfair that not only do I have to take medication to cope with everyday life, I have to watch what I eat and drink and change 'my everyday life'. Why cant I be 'Normal'??? (and of course here comes the age old question of "What is normal?") I dont drink often, and I am happy to go places with my friends sober, but why cant i drink if I want to????????????

Why does everything good have to come with a cost?

I have been told that "Everything of true beauty comes with great pain" - so maybe I should go off meds and suffer the lows to get the 'highs' (wow - such as being able to enjoy ONE drink with my friends, OR maybe to have a BIT of a libido again - what a wild idea.)

I am completely over it.

[And I am not having a go at anyone of the replies that I got, so I will apologise if anything I have said causes offense, I seriously dont intend to do that, even though in retrospect it probably sounds like I am having a go... I am just frustrated and having a whinge.]
  • beth3070 likes this

#18 paradox69

paradox69

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:11 AM

I think its hard to go completly without alcohol, its a big part of social events etc etc......

I am not an alcoholic by any means but I know that for me I:

1) Feel like crap
2) Have a drink takes it away for a very short time
3) Feel hungover the next day
4) Next day feel even lower than 1)

Now I dont know why this is but Ive noticed that after a heavy weekend I feel 10 times worse monday, but mood then seems to get better as the week continues.

Bottom line is that alcohol makes me personally feel worse for a short time after, thats why its best to not get hammered!

#19 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,940 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 08:29 AM

I guess what it boils down to is drink and feel crappy the next day(s) or not drink and stay well. It's a personal choice we all have to make during our recovery and healing. We all have to give up something to feel well and giving up alcohol should not be a big deal.
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

#20 paradox69

paradox69

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

Yeah thats basically it sheepwoman!

Theres ways round it as well! For instance, the only time I find it hard not to drink is on the weekend with mates, in the week its fine Also started up a vigorous gym routine which means I havent got time to go out in the week!

Then when it comes to the weekends now, because I want to stay in form for the gym, I dont really feel like drinking.

Its swapping alcohol (which was a big thing) with exercise (which is now a big thing).

Im not saying go and spend 4 hours in the gym every night but it has helped me so much with my depression as it gives me something to do and I feel a hell of a lot healthier for it!

#21 thecol

thecol

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 August 2006 - 12:05 PM

I drink semi-regularly whilst on sertraline - the doctor having said I can have a bit to drink, but not too much.  I had rather too much the other day, for the first time since I've been on it really, and the effects the day after were ... not pleasant mood wise, shall we say.

I just wanted to say im new to zoloft, Ive been on it for five days... I also have a semi problem with drinking. i drink about twice a wewek but when I do its a lot, (however a lot of the reason i would drink so much previousally was bc i was so depressed i was trying to self medicate in a way, so well see how maybe that wont be the case when the zoloft really kicks in) BUT i will say that i felt it working after three days, went out and drank that night, and it wasnt the same the next day or the day after, i prety much felt as depressed as before... so i m thinking that drinking MIGht make the zoloft temporariliy lose its effectiveness? This happened to me a month ago when i tried it also , i drank, got depressed the next day and assumed the drug wasnt working, but now i see that it was prob cuz iwas drinking... im going to stick with it. its almost impossible for me to not go out with my friends and drink on the weekends, ( im 24) but i will keep you guys updated on how i feel moodwise afterwards...Col

#22 formerfon

formerfon

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 06:05 AM

Col, couple of things to look out for; first, make sure you are straight with whoever is writing your prescriptions....I wasn't...everytime I had a bad event more zoloft was prescribed, until finallyI was taking 300 mg/day...along with drinking a bad mix. Took me six months to get off. Like me, your depression may be a complete misdiagnosis....the problem may be your alcohol consumption...I personally believe that a lot of depression is misdiagnosis because people are not completely honest with their doctors. I was fortunate and found a holistic doctor who got me off all prescription drugs; combined with dietary/nutritional changes I am symptom free and feeling good about life.

One other thing to watch for...VERY carefully; in some people zoloft, or any SSRI, can actually stimulate the compulsion to drink. There is additional info/documentation of this on this web site you can search for. For me this happened gradually at first, but later I did experiments...when not on zoloft drinking no issue, back on zoloft out of control within two weeks, even though all experts agree it typically takes 30 days for zoloft to penetrate the brain barrier for therapeutic effect.

Good luck. BE CAREFUL.

I just wanted to say im new to zoloft, Ive been on it for five days... I also have a semi problem with drinking. i drink about twice a wewek but when I do its a lot, (however a lot of the reason i would drink so much previousally was bc i was so depressed i was trying to self medicate in a way, so well see how maybe that wont be the case when the zoloft really kicks in) BUT i will say that i felt it working after three days, went out and drank that night, and it wasnt the same the next day or the day after, i prety much felt as depressed as before... so i m thinking that drinking MIGht make the zoloft temporariliy lose its effectiveness? This happened to me a month ago when i tried it also , i drank, got depressed the next day and assumed the drug wasnt working, but now i see that it was prob cuz iwas drinking... im going to stick with it. its almost impossible for me to not go out with my friends and drink on the weekends, ( im 24) but i will keep you guys updated on how i feel moodwise afterwards...Col

#23 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

Welcome, col!

Good info from formerfon. You've probably already read in this topic that since alcohol is a depressant it can certainly counteract the good effects of the anti-depressant. And that is not even considering some of the other potential problems from mixing the two.

I understand why you feel at your age you "must" drink when out with your friends. I'd really encourage you to try and avoid alcohol. You truly can still have a good time. Others have done it, and though it may be a hard adjustment at first, you will find you still have fun, your friends can be supportive of you, and you will feel much better.

If you need help with the alcohol, maybe you can talk to a substance abuse counselor, but definitely, as formerfon said, be open and honest with your doctor!

Pam Thum

#24 thecol

thecol

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:40 AM

hey guys, thanks for your replys.. yes i do have somewhat of a problem with alcohol, and i will try to stay away as much as possible. it is very hard to go out to a bar on a friday night and not drink, so therefore id have to stay away from the bar in the first place. and like i said, once i have one, its hard to stop. i went to some aa meetings even though i only drink about twice a week but i realize alcoholism runs in my family and i definitely have a problem because everytime i started i just had to drink till i was s***faced. to the post above, i would LOVE to not have to take the zoloft and to do things naturally, i tried with 5-htp, s ame, b vitamins, u name it, but the depression was soo bad.. and i dont believe it was just from the alcohol, although alcohol definitely worsens it. so i just felt i couldnt live anymore with waking up and feeling that feeling in your stomach as if youve just been dumped-everyday. my friends were getting sick of me moping and being so sad all the time. well they didnt say it but i just could tell i wasnt myself. i coudlnt enjoy anything. i got pretty desperate , which is why i came on the zoloft. i have only taken celexa in the past for a few months but gained a few pounds and im like very scared of gaining weight so quickly came off of it even though it was helping. the 5-htp worked well for about four months and then it started to poop out on me and now never works when i take it. but that was a good one with no side effects for anyone on the board looking for something natural. well img lad i found this site so i can talk to other people who go through some of the same things...

#25 thecol

thecol

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:42 AM

have you guys gained weight from zoloft? if so how much? when did it start? i hear weight gain is more associated with long term use of ssris

#26 reb

reb

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 12:52 AM

Everybody has been saying that you shouldn't drink alcohol while on AD meds because alcohol will counter the effects, but I'm pretty sure they mean depression in entirely different senses of the word (clinical depression caused by chemical imbalances versus sedation and a mentally dulling effect). Alcohol doesn't have very much effect on the serotonin system. Among the major neurochemical systems, it really only affects dopamine.

#27 formerfon

formerfon

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:26 AM

I will tell you what my holistic MD/shrink did for me, but this is example only.....

Over two years time I was up to 300 mg/day zoloft. I had already quit drinking for about six months. I dropped my dose of zoloft 25mg/day every two weeks- we tried a more aggressive approach but I was miserable with bedridden days. I also changed my diet, also slowly. First is no processed foods, stop eating anything with corn sweeteners (just about anything you buy in a grocery store). The only sweetener I use is raw honey sparingly. Get rid of as much meat and dairy as you can, again you can do this slowly. I've gotten to the point where I like soymilk, and I use Jarrow whey powder as an extra protein source. I also eat either yogurt or a product called Dan Active for probiotics. Also remove as much gluten (wheat) from your diet as possible (gluten, derived from the Greek word for glue, that is exactly what it becomes inside your body). Eat all the rice, veg's, beans you want...I cook a lot of Asian/Indian/African recipe's, with a lot of spice and don't miss my western diet at all. If you can buy a juicer, you get super concentrated nutrients with no bulk.

Thirty days after being off zoloft I started taking SAMe, 600 mg/day; went to 800, now I am down to 400. When I drink I am perfectly happy having one or two beers (alcohol would be better, no gluten, but I do love the taste of a good alcohol). I've gone from going to bars to getting involved with community service.

There are lots of sources on the internet to flesh out the theories behind diet and healthcare, two I like ar Robert Young, you can find his books at Amazon, and Dr. Mercola (do a google) has a web site; both in essence believe a paradigm shift id neccessary in healthcare...in the west we focus on treating symptoms and effects, they both have several theories about preventing disease in the first place.

Good luck Col. I have additional info I can share about alcoholism, but if you are interested send me a PM...cheers...f2 :wave:

hey guys, thanks for your replys.. yes i do have somewhat of a problem with alcohol, and i will try to stay away as much as possible. it is very hard to go out to a bar on a friday night and not drink, so therefore id have to stay away from the bar in the first place. and like i said, once i have one, its hard to stop. i went to some aa meetings even though i only drink about twice a week but i realize alcoholism runs in my family and i definitely have a problem because everytime i started i just had to drink till i was s***faced. to the post above, i would LOVE to not have to take the zoloft and to do things naturally, i tried with 5-htp, s ame, b vitamins, u name it, but the depression was soo bad.. and i dont believe it was just from the alcohol, although alcohol definitely worsens it. so i just felt i couldnt live anymore with waking up and feeling that feeling in your stomach as if youve just been dumped-everyday. my friends were getting sick of me moping and being so sad all the time. well they didnt say it but i just could tell i wasnt myself. i coudlnt enjoy anything. i got pretty desperate , which is why i came on the zoloft. i have only taken celexa in the past for a few months but gained a few pounds and im like very scared of gaining weight so quickly came off of it even though it was helping. the 5-htp worked well for about four months and then it started to poop out on me and now never works when i take it. but that was a good one with no side effects for anyone on the board looking for something natural. well img lad i found this site so i can talk to other people who go through some of the same things...

#28 Torontoguy

Torontoguy

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

hi, my psychiactric guy has prescribed me with 50mg of sertraline, with the order of no alcohol, i was told this previously when using citalopram and prozac and tried my best to minimise it but its ****** hard seeing as every social event pretty much centers around alcohol, at least on weekends anyway.
  I'm using it for, depression, OCD and social anxiety
i'm pretty doubtful it'll work seeing as the past two haven't and my motivation to stop drinking is lessening the more i doubt the possibilitys of drinking. I'm not in any way addicted its just that especially being shy and having social anxiety alcohol is very useful when it comes to going out....
  i've searched the web a bit and all i ever get is "no studies have been conducted on alcohol use with this drug" etc etc, so i was just wondering if anyone has had any success with this drug while continuing with drinking, i dont really mind not drinking during the week but at least one night a week, sometimes two i'd like to be able to have a few (quite a few)... infact can anyone who has found this drug useful after finding others didn't work please let me know, i really need to know if i'm just wasting my time i'm sick of this seratonin void I NEED HAPPINESS !

Hi there,

I am new to this forum but I have been taking Zoloft for 8 years and I can tell you that from my personal experience that it does enhance the effect of alcohol as in you will get intoxicated faster than when you are not on the Z. Also at least with me I find when I go out and party and get really blitzed the hangovers are multiplied by 50...Im talkin you are feeling it for a week especially dehydration....by the way I have drank alcohol on all doses to a maz of 100mg a day......Mike

#29 Jkpacific

Jkpacific

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:03 AM

Hey
I'm only taking 25 mg of Zoloft. Plus have only been on it for 3 weeks. SO far it has been completly fine. The only thing that was wrong was it was harder for me to get drunk I guess. I don't know why, maybe because the zoloft was trying to work against the alchohal. just being honest. late.

#30 binny

binny

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

I have been on Zoloft for a little over a month for anxiety and slight depression and started feeling better after two weeks. The past couple of weeks I have felt great, back to my old self. I don't know if it's a coincendence or not, but five days ago I went to a football game and drank quite heavily. On Monday I started feeling sluggish and down again for the first time since starting. Since it's been five days could this be something else other than the fact I had alcohol that day. I am REALLY hoping that it's the alcohol and that I will get back to normal, or semi-normal soon because I was started to feel great again.

Can anyone tell me if it can take so many days to get my levels back up? By the way, I am taking 50mg a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#31 j_0_e

j_0_e

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

hey, im 18, so i like to go out n drink, a lot of my social lift revoloves around doing it and u kinda have to, to fit in

HOWEVER... this now stops

i was told this is how it works:

Anti depressant will double your happy thoughts... if a drink makes u happy then yayyy positive effect... but because this is doubled emotion.. deppending on ur dosage... mebe tripple etc... it can make it feel 1 = 3 drinks etc

i had a bad experience by being sick with blood after 3 pints beuz it was more like 9 with the aDs

2nd time

i passed out and it was the scareyist thing ever... its put me off i shat myself..

take it from me, dont test the waters, i did, i regret it, ive been on these for 2 weeks now!

dont drink with it, im not gonna!! :hearts:

#32 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

• 27,940 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:05 AM

binny,
If you have been reading the posts in this thread, you can see how detrimental it is to drink alcohol while on Zoloft. Alcohol is a depressant and its effects override what good Zoloft is doing for you. Hopefully, you will pull out of the depression within a few days. If not, contact your pdoc and tell him/her what has happened to you. Your dosage may be changed or left alone. Be ready for a small lecture about drinking while taking Zoloft (lol) I got the lecture more than one time in the past. Changing behaviors that make you drink is very important. Distance yourself from triggering behaviors and develop ones that don't trigger the nessessity to drink. If this means not going out drinking with your friends, then do it for yourself and your well-being.
Sheepwoman

#33 ondaedge

ondaedge

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

I've been on zoloft for a little over two weeks and its been rough trying not to drink with my friends when I go out, but I have been able to cut back a lot.. from about 3 drinks and 3 beers every other day, to 1 or 2 beers per week ( bottle only )... its rough by my doc said maybe 1 drink per day and that's all no more... I've been told by friends In the medical industry that alcohol is sometimes okay to drink but in moderation.... its even harder for me because with my depression I also have the issue with anxiety and also insomnia, so my doc also prescribed trazadone to help me sleep at night...
drinking realy doesn't mix well with any of the meds at all but I'm down to the whimp at the bar ( one and done ) lol

#34 Live Life

Live Life

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

I have been on Zoloft for a little over a month for anxiety and slight depression and started feeling better after two weeks. The past couple of weeks I have felt great, back to my old self. I don't know if it's a coincendence or not, but five days ago I went to a football game and drank quite heavily. On Monday I started feeling sluggish and down again for the first time since starting. Since it's been five days could this be something else other than the fact I had alcohol that day. I am REALLY hoping that it's the alcohol and that I will get back to normal, or semi-normal soon because I was started to feel great again.

Can anyone tell me if it can take so many days to get my levels back up? By the way, I am taking 50mg a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I drank heay the same way.Drank on the Saturday was'nt back to normal until Thursday.Now I will drink slower and smarter becsause I don't want to feell like that again ever.
Live life to the Fullest!!!!!!!!!!

#35 amy_e

amy_e

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:05 PM

i'm gonna get preachy here, and it's not even about drunk driving.

i like to have a mike's as much as the next girl, but guys, this is bad news.
some people (lots.) drink while on meds, both in moderation and in excess. it's discouraged, but they do it, and a lot of them are just fine.
BUT
it's called internal bleeding, folks, and it'll happen. honest.
so if the idea of blacking out or getting more drunk than you thought you would doesn't give you pause, maybe that will. you have to make a choice to either take care of yourself or not. if you're really really bummed about not drinking, or feel that you can't NOT drink, this is something you might want to talk to your counselor about.

please be careful.

#36 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

I want to add to amy e's post.

Alcohol is a depressant. For those of us who suffer from depression and are on anti-depressants, drinking just doesn't make sense.

Certainly an occasional glass of alcohol seems harmless enough - and may very well be - but I think it's better to err on the side of caution.

Sorry. I got up on my soap box for a minute there.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#37 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:30 PM

I am scared to drink . I just know ill be the one to have a bad reaction. i have had one drink but no more than that

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

#38 Hobbitjeff

Hobbitjeff

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 February 2007 - 01:43 PM

Interesting reads here...

I went out with my wife and some friends on Saturday. I had one pint of Killian's Draft. Monday I felt really low and out of it, exactly like I felt before I started the Zoloft 2 weeks ago... Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I am not willing to risk it.

The sad thing is, I LOVE alcohol. But, in order not to go through the hell I went through before starting on Zoloft, I will give up the thing I love.

#39 Brit

Brit

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

Only reaction i noticed is my eyes dilate lol....looks really weird
"God hates us all"

#40 Ajumbledmess

Ajumbledmess

• Platinum Member
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 07:15 PM

All most all drinks that r achoholic can be virgin. That way you can still have ur favorite drink. I dont know about beers. But I know there is one brand thats na odulles

Posted ImageAjumbledmessPosted Image

"Sometimes we need to hurt in order to grow we must fail in order to know we must lose in order to gain some lessons are learned best through pain."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users