Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Switch From Mirtazapine To Effexor?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:53 AM

Currently taking 45Mg Mertazapine. Did work great at first but now I dont think it is. Previously took Paroxetine for about 6 years (and that wasnt really working).

Also, having great dificulty concentrating, doing anything. Putting on weight etc.

Doc has said that next thing is Venlafaxine (Effexor)....

Any comments on this?
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#2 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:06 AM

psychocandy

Efexor is thought to help people who haven't responded well to other meds. So it is worthwhile trying it out.

Efexor works on norepinephrine and seratonin so you could the double effect. Thought it only works on both at the higher dose.

Its best to start out on a low dose and wait till your body gets used to it and then work up to 225mg.

It takes about 6 weeks to take effect, but many people feel better within a month. It took ages for me, unfortunately.

The usual start up side affects may include: dry mouth, headaches, eyes sensitive to light - things seem brighter, maybe a bit of constipation, queasy stomach, vivid dreams.

Most of the side effects go away within a couple of days to a few weeks. I still get the vivid dreams but I'm ok with that, enjoy it really.

You will read a lot about the bad side of coming off Efexor, cos some people do have a bad time. I personally, had no problems cos I came off Efexor very slowly. Other antidepressants can also cause this problem so efexor is not alone in this. NOT everyone experiences this.

Do not stop taking Efexor cold turkey cos you can have a difficult time with brain zaps and nightmares. So if you have money problems and can't afford to fill a prescription then its not for you. Some people are so sensitive to efexor that they can tell within a few hours if they have missed a dose.
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#3 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 11:03 AM

psychocandy

Efexor is thought to help people who haven't responded well to other meds. So it is worthwhile trying it out.

Efexor works on norepinephrine and seratonin so you could the double effect. Thought it only works on both at the higher dose.

Its best to start out on a low dose and wait till your body gets used to it and then work up to 225mg.

It takes about 6 weeks to take effect, but many people feel better within a month. It took ages for me, unfortunately.

The usual start up side affects may include: dry mouth, headaches, eyes sensitive to light - things seem brighter, maybe a bit of constipation, queasy stomach, vivid dreams.

Most of the side effects go away within a couple of days to a few weeks. I still get the vivid dreams but I'm ok with that, enjoy it really.

You will read a lot about the bad side of coming off Efexor, cos some people do have a bad time. I personally, had no problems cos I came off Efexor very slowly. Other antidepressants can also cause this problem so efexor is not alone in this. NOT everyone experiences this.

Do not stop taking Efexor cold turkey cos you can have a difficult time with brain zaps and nightmares. So if you have money problems and can't afford to fill a prescription then its not for you. Some people are so sensitive to efexor that they can tell within a few hours if they have missed a dose.

I think Mirtazapine works on the same two...

6 weeks to wait again???? I hate that...

#4 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

it took time to become depressed and unfortunately it takes time to get better.

It'll pass soon.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#5 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:25 PM

I was just switched to Effexor as well. Started at 37.5mg and now up to 75mg. Go back to the pdoc next week to see if it needs increased again, as he does that everytime I go. Thanks for listing the side effects firelizardee. I've had most of them but attributed it to the nasty cold I have. Could be either I guess. So far I feel much better than the cocktail of 150mg of Zoloft and 1mg of Klonipon three times a day, plus 10 mg Ambien at night. Now I'm on the Effexor, Xanax (same mgs as Klonipon) and the Ambien and I can tell, even with the cold, that I'm functioning much better.

psychocandy - I hope you feel better soon. For me, Effexor, even after this short period of time, has done wonders.

#6 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:06 PM

I was just switched to Effexor as well. Started at 37.5mg and now up to 75mg. Go back to the pdoc next week to see if it needs increased again, as he does that everytime I go. Thanks for listing the side effects firelizardee. I've had most of them but attributed it to the nasty cold I have. Could be either I guess. So far I feel much better than the cocktail of 150mg of Zoloft and 1mg of Klonipon three times a day, plus 10 mg Ambien at night. Now I'm on the Effexor, Xanax (same mgs as Klonipon) and the Ambien and I can tell, even with the cold, that I'm functioning much better.

psychocandy - I hope you feel better soon. For me, Effexor, even after this short period of time, has done wonders.

You didnt mention how long you been taking it for?

#7 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

Sorry about that. It will be two weeks this Thursday. Like I said earlier, I was on 150mg Zoloft, so I started out for the first week on 37.5mg of Effexor and went down to 50mg of Zoloft, taking both at the same time. I started my second week, i think, two days ago of the 75mg Effexor only (no more Zoloft). I have much more energy and can concentrate much better. My superviosr even commented that I was getting back to my normal self. It is hard to believe that it helped so rapidly, after only two days I saw differences, but I already had the one AD in my system so maybe that's why it didnt take as long. As I am coming down for this flu, I am noticing a lot of the symptons listed, all except for dreams. I can't recall the last dream I have had. Nor have I noticed "twitching" which I don't believe was mentioned but have read in other places that that is a frequent side effect. SO FAR, I consider it a God send, but like I said, it hasn't even been two weeks, so we will see.... I'm trying my best to be optimistic and pray that I am finally on the right combination.

Best wishes and let me know how it goes for you.

Lost in the Past

#8 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:58 AM

I found that the twitching only occured when the dose went to 150mg and in any case it didn't last long. Only a week or so. It started off being quite noticeable and just gradually decreased to nothing.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#9 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

Sorry about that. It will be two weeks this Thursday. Like I said earlier, I was on 150mg Zoloft, so I started out for the first week on 37.5mg of Effexor and went down to 50mg of Zoloft, taking both at the same time. I started my second week, i think, two days ago of the 75mg Effexor only (no more Zoloft). I have much more energy and can concentrate much better. My superviosr even commented that I was getting back to my normal self. It is hard to believe that it helped so rapidly, after only two days I saw differences, but I already had the one AD in my system so maybe that's why it didnt take as long. As I am coming down for this flu, I am noticing a lot of the symptons listed, all except for dreams. I can't recall the last dream I have had. Nor have I noticed "twitching" which I don't believe was mentioned but have read in other places that that is a frequent side effect. SO FAR, I consider it a God send, but like I said, it hasn't even been two weeks, so we will see.... I'm trying my best to be optimistic and pray that I am finally on the right combination.

Best wishes and let me know how it goes for you.

Lost in the Past

Glad to hear you're doing so well on Effexor. Hope you're improvement continues....

Certainly some postitive news for those of about to start on Effexor. I'm not sure if I could cope with waiting 6-8 weeks again....

#10 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

I'm sure I've read somewhere that its possible to take both Mirtazapine and Effexor?

Is this is possible (and in some cases
useful) ????

Spoke to my doc today and he said, no way, taper off the Remeron
before starting Effexor...

Currently on 45Mg Remeron. He wants me to take 30Mg next week, then
15Mg week after along with 75Mg Effexor, week after 0 Remeron and 75Mg
Effexor.

Any comments?

#11 a4t4

a4t4

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

[quote name='psychocandy' date='Jan 14 2008, 02:35 PM' post='346759']
I'm sure I've read somewhere that its possible to take both Mirtazapine and Effexor?

Hi, I'm new here, and looking around. Amongst my meds
is Venlafaxin... my doctor put me on Mirtazapine today as well, and said it works wonders taking this combination.
Have looked at side effects etc and to be honest I am not too happy about taking Mirtazapine.
The reason I saw my doc today was asking for valium to help me through panic attacks, but he said take this new drug.
Any thoughts on this (hope I done this reply ok)

#12 Lost in the Past

Lost in the Past

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

psychocandy - I don't know anything about Remeron so I can't help you there. I can say that they did me basically the same way with the Zoloft. Tapered it down while taking a small amount of the Effexor, the stopping the Zoloft and upping the Zoloft. My husband, family, coworkers, EVERYONE can tell a difference, a honestly could within days. For me, I don't know if it was the Zoloft not working, the Klonipon not working... I know I have been on the Effexor/Xanas comb for two weeks this Thursday and I feel thousands times better. I feel like me again. Even through this flu thing I have. The very worst I can say about the Effexor so far is that it wakes me up early. I think I said above that I take 1mg Xanax and 10mg Ambeina about a half hour before I go to bed. Well, I wake up right when it wears off, which is fine. I have to get up early and go to work anyway so it's really a plus for me, it just sucked over the weekend, not being able to sleep in with my husband.

At4T - I'm sorry but I've never heard of Mirtazapine either. Was there a reason he/she gave about this particular medication rather than putting you on something you felt more comfortable with?

To both of you: Do you go back to your doctors soon? Whenever I change meds I have to go back in two weeks, regardless of what it is. Hopefully it is the same with you. If your meds aren't working properly and you can't get into see your doc, call them! I call mine whenever I have a question about anything.

Hope I helped, even in a small amount.

Warmest wishes,
Lost in the Past

#13 firelizardee

firelizardee

• 9,781 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 11:11 AM

I haven't heard anything about taking Mirtazapine and Effexor. The thing to do is 1) check it out with your dr 2) or your pharmacist 3) try using a drug interaction checker and see if there are any contraindications.

Read the drug info leaflets and see if there is anything in them about taking these meds.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

#14 puffer

puffer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:35 AM

Hi all, i've been a member here for a while but never actually posted!

I used to take Mirtazapine (45mg i think) and can honestly say it was the worst ad i have ever ever taken!! i got really aggressive and angry all the time, would shout and moan at people for no reason and i'm normally very laid back and calm! Mirtazapine also made me want to sleep ALL the time which was the worst thing for me, i kept taking them for 6 weeks hoping things would improve but they didn't, they just got worse, and i also didn't notice anything with helping my depression and social problems,

Within 3 days of stopping Mirtazapine the anger and tiredness had completly gone! i'm not saying everyone will have problems as i'm sure Mirtazapine can work wonders on some people, but for me this was the worst drug i have ever tried!

I'm now on day 2 of Effexor XL 75mg and so far so good (fingers crossed)

#15 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:46 AM

I didn't like Mirtazapine much either. It also made me very angry, plus I put on a stack of weight.

I'm now on 225mg Efexor XR daily, and am just starting to feel some benefit. I've been taking it now for about 6 weeks.

Hope it turns out to be the one for you

Cheers

dtm

#16 puffer

puffer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

I didn't like Mirtazapine much either. It also made me very angry, plus I put on a stack of weight.

I'm now on 225mg Efexor XR daily, and am just starting to feel some benefit. I've been taking it now for about 6 weeks.

Cheers

dtm

oh yeah! forgot to mention the weight gain whilst using mirtazapine! wanted to eat non stop, never eaten that much in my life!
i'm just really hoping efexor doesn't make me eat loads as i'm trying to lose weight not gain it :hearts:

#17 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:53 AM

Efexor made me completely lose my appetite for about the first two weeks. After that, it slowly came back to normal.

So far, I've managed to lose about 14 lbs on Efexor (in six weeks), so I'm pretty happy about that. I have read some horror stories about people gaining weight, though, too.

Efexor shouldn't make you ravenous, the way Mirtazapine did. Honestly, I thought I was gonna have to get a second job, just to be able to afford all the food I was eating!

You'll still need to watch what you eat, but at least it should be manageable.

Good luck! :hearts:

#18 puffer

puffer

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

Efexor made me completely lose my appetite for about the first two weeks. After that, it slowly came back to normal.

So far, I've managed to lose about 14 lbs on Efexor (in six weeks), so I'm pretty happy about that. I have read some horror stories about people gaining weight, though, too.

Efexor shouldn't make you ravenous, the way Mirtazapine did. Honestly, I thought I was gonna have to get a second job, just to be able to afford all the food I was eating!

You'll still need to watch what you eat, but at least it should be manageable.

Good luck! :hearts:

that's certainly good to hear! thanks for your help dtm :)

#19 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:43 AM

Cheers

dtm

dtm,

How long for the 225 to work for you?

So far I've been on 75 for 4 weeks, then 150 for 4 weeks, and now been on 225 for 4.5 weeks. So far no lasting improvement really....

#20 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

Cheers

dtm

oh yeah! forgot to mention the weight gain whilst using mirtazapine! wanted to eat non stop, never eaten that much in my life!
i'm just really hoping efexor doesn't make me eat loads as i'm trying to lose weight not gain it :hearts:

Mirtazpine made me eat loads as well and put on loads of weight. Couldnt work out whether the weight gain was purely as a result of eating more or whether mirt does this anyway though?

Effexor has been great for my weight loss. Very little appetite....

#21 dtm

dtm

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

Cheers

dtm

dtm,

How long for the 225 to work for you?

So far I've been on 75 for 4 weeks, then 150 for 4 weeks, and now been on 225 for 4.5 weeks. So far no lasting improvement really....

I'm not game to say it's a lasting improvement, but I can't really say I've been depressed more than once in the last week.

It's not like I feel great or anything, just not depressed, which I guess is better than the alternative.

I'm still hoping it will improve.

I've been on 225mg for a little over 3 weeks now.

#22 catgirl

catgirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:50 PM

[quote name='dtm' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:46 AM' post='395097']

Cheers

dtm
[/quote

Well, your post has helped me. I am on Mirtazapine, and just got back from the doctor (I went because I am feeling so angry all the time and also the 40 lb weight gain!) She wants me to take Effexor, but I will have to take the generic form. Hopefully it's good also for me. Thx 4 sharing......

#23 Vinli

Vinli

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 07:48 PM

Is this is possible (and in some cases useful) ????

Spoke to my doc today and he said, no way, taper off the Remeron
before starting Effexor...

Currently on 45Mg Remeron. He wants me to take 30Mg next week, then
15Mg week after along with 75Mg Effexor, week after 0 Remeron and 75Mg
Effexor.

Any comments?

It's very possible and a common combo. I'm on 30mg mirtazapine 150mg venlafaxine at the moment. They work on the same neuro-transmitters but in different ways.

I would recommend the combo except that I've put on a TON of weight since starting on the remeron. I'm constantly hungry and can continue eating without feeling full. A very bad issue for me given past eating disorders.

The remeron made me sleepy for the first week which I loved, that effect has worn off though. As far as I know that is due to its antihistamine-side-effect and is more prominent in lower doses. At higher doses, especially in combo with effexor, you feel kind of wired, like on a caffeine high; I've been pretty sweaty too which sucks.

My moods have without a doubt improved over the last three months that I've been on the combo though. I just need to lose that flab....

75mg effexor is pretty much the lowest recommended therapeutic dose right? If I were you I'd ask your doctor to try the combo before tapering off the remeron entirely. PM me if you'd like me to email you some more info on the combination.

#24 Headspin

Headspin

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 03:03 AM

Californian Rocket Fuel!

Effexor and Mirtazapine. 300mg Effexor in the morning, 15 mg Mirtazapine at night. Starting to feel really good about myself for the first time in a very long time. I've been on 300mg for only a week after being on 150mg for three months.

The combination seems to be quite popular I've noticed.

Feel way better than i ever did on Zoloft.

OMG I just realised, I could almost be normal!? :hearts:

Hey psychocandy - Wales Forever bro!

Edited by Headspin, 14 October 2008 - 03:05 AM.

I'm ok, it's my feelings that are mad." - Homer J Simpson.

#25 amber74

amber74

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:15 AM

Hi all, i've been a member here for a while but never actually posted!

I used to take Mirtazapine (45mg i think) and can honestly say it was the worst ad i have ever ever taken!! i got really aggressive and angry all the time, would shout and moan at people for no reason and i'm normally very laid back and calm! Mirtazapine also made me want to sleep ALL the time which was the worst thing for me, i kept taking them for 6 weeks hoping things would improve but they didn't, they just got worse, and i also didn't notice anything with helping my depression and social problems,

Within 3 days of stopping Mirtazapine the anger and tiredness had completly gone! i'm not saying everyone will have problems as i'm sure Mirtazapine can work wonders on some people, but for me this was the worst drug i have ever tried!

I'm now on day 2 of Effexor XL 75mg and so far so good (fingers crossed)

Heh, not sure if you are still around, but that was my experience of mirtazapine, awful awful ad. weight gain was horrendous, id eat any carb i could lay my hands on, id snap the head off my hubby, daugher, the cats! sleep non stop.

I was supposed to up my dose to 45mg, but couldn't cope anymore!! Now after 3 days papered off prob. too quickly, and now started on effexor. 75mg, day 2 no probs so far. Amazingly my urge to eat carbs has vanished now nirt is out of my system, amazing!

Just wonderedd how you are gettin on as this post it old. Shall i hold out for the effexor?

I wanted wellbutrin as that doesnt cause any weight gain, or sex probs but my doc wouldn't / couldn't prescribe it..... He has now referred me to a pdoc........ I hoping they will sort me out.

any info much appreciated

amber

#26 amakgv

amakgv

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:31 AM

I had the opposite reactions-- effexor turned me into a psychopath but remeron was good for me. Everyone is different!

Effexor is unlikely to cause weight gain or sexual problems, but again, your mileage may vary (same for wellbutrin). It's a very effective medication (considered the "best" in the medical/pharmacological scene), it's only fair to give it a go and see what happens.
Good luck with it, I hope it helps you!
~Amanda~

"You catch the moon, I'll just stand here and run in place, shell-shocked and half-cocked"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users