Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How long did it take prozac to work for you?

• Please log in to reply
299 replies to this topic

Poll: How long did it take prozac to work for you? (345 member(s) have cast votes)

How long did it take prozac to work for you?

1. less than a week (47 votes [12.30%])

Percentage of vote: 12.30%

2. one to two weeks (31 votes [8.12%])

Percentage of vote: 8.12%

3. two to three weeks (32 votes [8.38%])

Percentage of vote: 8.38%

4. three to four weeks (32 votes [8.38%])

Percentage of vote: 8.38%

5. four to five weeks (20 votes [5.24%])

Percentage of vote: 5.24%

6. five to six weeks (10 votes [2.62%])

Percentage of vote: 2.62%

7. six to eight weeks (21 votes [5.50%])

Percentage of vote: 5.50%

8. more than eight weeks (please specify) (11 votes [2.88%])

Percentage of vote: 2.88%

9. I am still waiting for it to work (144 votes [37.70%])

Percentage of vote: 37.70%

10. it didn't work (34 votes [8.90%])

Percentage of vote: 8.90%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 paradox

paradox

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:53 PM

Hi everyone,

Ive just started taking prozac, on my 2nd week at 60mg. Im wondering if this is too high a dose as every other thread ive read is with people taking 20-40.

I know the max is 80mg, I was just wondering if anyone has any views on this??
Living life with a fake smile

#2 Shazzam

Shazzam

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 12:36 AM

It doesn't seem that many people use these forums anymore. I remember when I was on a year or two ago there were so many responses. Or maybe no one take Prozac anymore?

#3 CatPen

CatPen

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

Hi Tricia,
Welcome here...yes, they tell me it takes 3-6 weeks for Prozac to do its thing. I'm at 2 1/2 weeks right now and really hoping that 3 weeks will start to see some help. I did feel a little better after the first week, but that tapered off a bit after the first few days. I, however, have been on meds for the last 4 years, so my experience may be a bit different than yours, since you are just getting started on meds. But I do relate to the waiting :)
And to being relatively new to this website. So welcome again!
Cat
Cat Pennea

#4 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:15 PM

Heh well I am glad you seem to feel better! i worry too as to what will happen when I come off meds .. in fact, that stopped me going on them for a long time. But I've adoped a 'cross that bridge when I come to it' type of attitude now :)
We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever

#5 Shazzam

Shazzam

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:28 PM

Hi all,
I'm new to the Prozac section but not new to AD's or unfortunately depression. I was on Paxil for a year,(gained 20lbs) then was on Zoloft for two years and gained another 10lbs. I weaned myself off Zoloft and was med free since September 20th but then slowly it started creeping back in the depression and dark cloud. I am trying Prozac this time. It was actually given to me at the tail end of my weaning off process of Zoloft as it has a longer half life and helped greatly with my withdrawl. Now I've decided to try prozac for my reoccurring depression. How long did it take to work for you guys? I found the other SSRI's I tried kicked in fast. I know i've only been taking this for four days but I don't feel much difference but no side effects either which is good. I hope I don't gain anymore weight and actually might lose a few pounds as i've heard there tends to be more weight loss with this drug is that true for anybody?

#6 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 07:50 AM

Hi and welcome .. i love your avatar, heh :). Sadly, not all meds work for all people, but it's worth trying another SSRI because, simply because one doesn't work, doesn't mean that others won't. Good luck!
We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever

#7 tffny

tffny

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 08:33 PM

I took this for a couple of months and it did nothing foe me. :(

#8 Bruno35

Bruno35

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 09:30 AM

Thanks Josephine.
I still have some episodes that are quite bad, but no where near what they were.
Denial, I was feeling very tired at first but it got better, only the dreams at night keep me tired the next day. :hearts: :bump:
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.

#9 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:09 AM

Hang in there Denial :) I've found prozac to be great for anxiety :)

bruno, i am glad - and jealous ;) - you got such an instant result!
  • ellebi and Fishmeister like this

#10 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:35 PM

Just for interest's sake :)

#11 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:48 PM

Looks like the votes are going for a long 'to work' time so far but we need more!

Feel free to share your experiences too :)

#12 cinzbenz

cinzbenz

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 01:08 PM

I felt better very quickly.  It made me feel like a "nice person" after just a few days.  It was wonderful.  I took it for 1-1/2 years.
~~ Live ~~ Love ~~ Laugh ~~

#13 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:23 AM

Hi there! I've been on it for approx that length of time so far :) Can I ask, how did you come off it and did you experience problems when you did?

#14 cinzbenz

cinzbenz

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:57 AM

Hi!  I came off it all at once.  I had pretty bad withdrawal, which the pdoc said was unusual.  I didn't have any depression from the discontinuation, though, because I was put right on something else.
~~ Live ~~ Love ~~ Laugh ~~

#15 denial

denial

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 09:27 PM

I've been on it for 3 weeks, and I'm finally noticing positive results.  I felt so sedated at first.  Now I'm feeling pretty good during the day, especially by myself.  I always had a bad time when alone.   Although, certain things can still trigger my depression though.  I'm trying so hard to be patient...sigh...

#16 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 04:49 AM

Hiya Denial, well that's great that you're seeing a result already! I know the waiting can be hard but like I said above, you're prolly over the worst of the side effects now.... what is your diagnosis, out of interest?

#17 Alen

Alen

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:22 AM

Thanks Josephine and denail. I really did feel better after you posted your comments. Day before yesterday I was really feeling much much better, yesterday not so, but today again I am feeling better. It seems that przac has started to give the positive effects.
Thanks again
  • Theresa06 likes this

#18 denial

denial

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 August 2004 - 09:30 PM

I have ocd and 'severe anxiety' as my pdoc says.  After reading what I wrote yesterday, I'm wondering if I'm feeling a relief from the previous two weeks.  The previous two weeks were hell.  I felt more anxiety then than I had in two years.  I was scowling so much I was getting a headache.  'Miserable' I was!!!  I feel good and yet I feel like I'm so close to another attack.  It's wearing me out......

#19 Bruno35

Bruno35

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 06:46 PM

I felt good almost immediately, but it took about three weeks to have a full effect. :hearts:
  • ellebi likes this
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.

#20 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 08:01 PM

Today was my first day.  Can't wait for some relief from crankiness!
  • TwinMommy likes this

#21 denial

denial

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 07:32 PM

Tomorrow will be 5 weeks.  For about the past 10 days things have been good.  I'm not obsessing so much, I have some motivation to do things, and the day to day life stuff isn't getting to me as bad.  I got into a 'mood', as my girlfriend calls it, on friday and got through it with her help in a couple of hours.  Before, it would have been days or weeks.  
                                                                     Bruno:
I don't sleep as much as I used to, about the same amount of dreams.  Despite the less sleep, I still feel ok during the day.

#22 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 07:13 AM

last night was my second dose.  i had fitful sleep.  went from extreme cold to extreme sweating?!?!  also, lots of dreaming of knives :(

#23 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 11:57 AM

HI Dee Dee welcome to the forums! Prozac can do that to you sometimes, unfortunately ... my sleep is very disturbed too. How are you doing now?

#24 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 01:29 PM

It hasn't been consistent.  I have slept like a rock and I have lain there looking at the ceiling.  Today I seem to be feeling a little more content in life.  Don't know if it is just a good day or if it is the prozac.
I was on this forum about 1 1/2 years ago.  I quit ad's in May of '03 (for some reason that seems unreasonable but I know it couldn't have been this year) Anyway I was Sandradee back then.  I think prozac is giving me some confusion because time frames in my brain are scrambled right now and I have to retype stuff.  I keep typing words backwards?!?!

#25 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 02:32 PM

LOL that's a new one to me ;). I am glad you're feeling better today though .. hopefully it will be the start of something positive?

#26 Keelin

Keelin

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 06:04 PM

I started prozac about 3 weeks ago.. I have been having horrible sleep patterns... but they have been getting better over the past 3 days. I don't find i feel much better yet, actually I find i feel feel worse then i did when i was on celexa before this, hopefully it will get better

#27 DeeDee

DeeDee

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 August 2004 - 09:03 PM

Woooo Hooooo this is the first ad that didn't cause that nasty little side effect that can hurt a relationship.  You got it ....  the "O" said hello  :hearts:

#28 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 05:53 AM

Welcome Keelin :)

Dee Dee I found that my *lowers voice* sex drive decreased a little on prozac but not enough to damage a relationship. Which was something I was really worried about, so i was pleased :)

#29 denial

denial

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 07:49 PM

I've been on it for a long two months(40mg).  I'm glad to say that the side affects are about 95% gone.  I'm not cured, but it's easier to recover from triggers or bad days.  At least for some part of a day, I'm in a good mood.

#30 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:38 AM

That's great Denial, stick with it :).

#31 Bruno35

Bruno35

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:36 PM

The effects of my prozac seemed to have worn off slightly.
I'm still having some setbacks occasionally, but I'm stilll 90% better than I was before I started it.
Maybe I need my dose increased (20mg) :hearts: :rasp:
  • ellebi likes this

#32 blackfloyd

blackfloyd

• PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:53 PM

Hmm, yeah... Prozac has yet to do anything for me... but then again... my depression is pretty situational (withdrawing from drugs alcohol and nicotine, social loss, financial loss, etc).   It'd be nice if I could perk up a smile.... and not feel a weight on my body constnatnly.  It's a weight mostly on the lung muscles, sometimes making it hard to breath... weird, probably regular stuff for depression.

Anyway, 3 weeks so far, not much other than slight side effects.  But like I said, the situation I'm in, and what I'm doing makes it far too easy to get down.

#33 Alen

Alen

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 03:59 AM

This is my 6th day on prozac. And about for four days now I feel worser than I did before. I am tense, upset, I have anxiety and I sleep less. What should I do? Do you think should I wait more or to stop taking because prozac  is driving me crazy.

#34 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 04:31 AM

Hi Alen! Welcome to the boards. The start up effects of prozac can sometimes be hard, but I'd urge you to stay with it, especially as, after six days, they should start easing soon. I would not, at least, stop taking it without consulting your GP. Best of luck!

#35 denial

denial

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 06:37 AM

I had the same problem the first week or so.  Really drowsy, a ton of anxiety.  They gradually do go away, but you have to give it time.  There were many days I felt like not taking it anymore, but my girlfriend helped me through it.  
Its been two months now, and my overall mood is a 100% better than before.  I still have my moments, but I don't obsess like I did.

#36 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 11:03 AM

That's really great to hear, Denial :)

#37 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:37 PM

You're more than welcome and keep posting :). This drug has made such a difference to my life -though it did take quite a long time to kick in - that I cannot recommend it highly enough.

#38 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:51 AM

Hi!! I had wondered if prozac was falling out of favour as the drug of choice .. most GPs seem to go for paxil first these days. Can we have a head count? How many of us out there are using prozac?

#39 codie

codie

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hello there, been on Prozac for 4 months now. This is the first time I have tried AD's. I am a bit worried about how I will feel when I stop taking them. I have felt really positive since taking them, the only thing is I have gained about 14 pounds. But I don't hate myself the way I used to, and I have become much more sociable and made lots of new friends. I am going to eat healthy from tomorrow and start some exercise as I fancy a bit of an image change. I am much more at ease with my appearance than I used to be, I just fancy a change and my holiday to NYC next year is my inspiration. I shall try to save so that I can SHOP SHOP SHOP!!!!!
Must try not to over indulge at Christmas.....
codie

#40 Loopy

Loopy

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2004 - 05:12 PM

???
Hello
I have started to take proza today, i am on 20mgs a day i have just come off celax i have been on for about a month and a half but i found they didnt make much differences to me.

i am 18 and starting taking anti depression, i have people telling me to take them and peple telling me no, its really hard to decide what to do. i am just so sick and tired with the way i feel, feeling like there is nothing in life worth going on for. i look to the furture and cant see nothing i know that sounds crazy but i just dont feel like i have any feelings inside me apart from being sad angry.

i just hope these will work for me and make me feel better! ??? :hearts:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users