Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What To Do If U Feel Like A Different Person

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 robster80

robster80

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

what do u do if ur depression has caused u to become more shy and negative thinking and thinking of what others might think of u ?>....i used to not care at all and was always laughing and in a great mood and constantly making ppl laugh like crazy by just being goofy and doing weird voices....i was almost like Jim Carrey............but now i feel like i am not as funny........im constantly worrying if ppl are gona laugh if i decide to do something funny........i rarely do my funny voices and imitations......i just feel like ive lost it.......does this mean ive lost it? .....or does depression mask it?

#2 Joanna

Joanna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,272 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:18 AM

Hi Robster,

Depression can definitely make us feel insecure, or even paranoid. It not only erodes our motivation and enthusiasm, it gives our self-confidence a beating too. But I don't think you've lost your old self for good. It's just that your depression is making you FEEL differently. And it's effecting the way you think and act too. Your old, funny, Jim Carey self is still there, but it's become buried under all the depression.

I really hope you can find a way to overcome this Robster, and I'm sorry I can't say anything more helpful in terms of HOW to get from A to B. I'm still struggling with that myself! I do think that talking and writing about how we are feeling can be very healing. So you're already doing well on that. Are you seeing a therapist? I read in one of your other posts that you haven't had much luck with tolerating anti-depressants, but I'm wondering if you've exhausted all the options on the medication front?? There's no doubt in my mind that anti-depressants can really help take the edge off the bad feelings if we can just find the right one, or the right combination.

Well, don't want to make this too long. I just wanted to say hi and that I'm really sorry you're struggling. You definitely aren't alone with your pain and I hope it's helping you a it to be part of this forum. In my personal experience though, I've found that I need additional help in real life in the form of anti-depressants and therapy. I really hope you are able to find the right help in real life too Robster.

Take care.

Joanna

Edited by Joanna, 02 November 2007 - 01:21 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#3 Tweed

Tweed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:43 AM

Hi Robster,

Perhaps in the past you were being funny as a way of covering up how you were really feeling. Maybe this depression has been a build up over the years. I don't know you and don't want you to think I think this is what's going on, but at the same time it's a valid question to ask yourself. Most comedians suffer depression and humour often stems from some form of pain. Man, how morbid does that sound?:hearts: eek.
I'm confident there's a happy medium and you can definitely be that fun loving guy again. Depression will drain your loves and talents that's for sure, but you won't lose them, they're still there.
My arms are just two things in the way
Until I can wrap them around you
You can make a sad song happy
and a bad world good
I can feel you out there moving. - Captain Beefheart.
--
To question is to quest on. - Some wise dude.

#4 Trace

Trace

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 52,085 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 04:43 AM

Robster

That is just depression talking, when it hits it can change our whole way of thinking, the way we do things and our reactions.
The best thing for you to do is see a therapist or a doc and explain how you are feeling and they will help you with the best way to manage it, so that you can feel your old self again, there is hope.

We are here to listen always :hearts:
Trace
Listen in deep silence. Be very still and open your mind.... Sink deep into the peace that waits for you beyond the frantic, riotous thoughts and sights and sounds of this insane world. - A course of miracles.

True beauty must come, must be grown, from within.... - Ralph W Trine.

Posted Image

#5 terrifictuesdays47

terrifictuesdays47

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:00 AM

Could be depression or maybe not. I lost some of what I had too, but part of it was just growing up. I will never lose it completely though! :) It's good that you're being aware of changes about you and how they affect you. Praying for you.

#6 lynx

lynx

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

I think that feeling like a different person (for the worse) is one of the many symptoms of depression. Depression makes you more introverted.

Linkin Park - Papercut

Why does it feel like night today?/Something in here's not right today/Why am I so uptight today?/Paranoia's all I got left/I don't know what stressed me first/Or how the pressure was fed/But I know just what it feels like/To have a voice in the back of my head/It's like a face that I hold inside/A face that awakes when I close my eyes/A face watches every time I lie/A face that laughs every time I fall/(It watches everything)/So I know that when it's time to sink or swim/That the face inside is hearin' me/Right inside my skin/It's like I'm paranoid lookin' over my back/It's like a whirlwind inside of my head/It's like I can't stop what I'm hearing within/It's like the face inside is right beneath my skin...

#7 Fearful

Fearful

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:10 PM

For me it also makes me feel like I have a big fog over my eyes that I can't rid myself of.

#8 Erik D

Erik D

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 12:40 PM

what do u do if ur depression has caused u to become more shy and negative thinking and thinking of what others might think of u ?>....i used to not care at all and was always laughing and in a great mood and constantly making ppl laugh like crazy by just being goofy and doing weird voices....i was almost like Jim Carrey............but now i feel like i am not as funny........im constantly worrying if ppl are gona laugh if i decide to do something funny........i rarely do my funny voices and imitations......i just feel like ive lost it.......does this mean ive lost it? .....or does depression mask it?

I know exactly what you mean, because that sounds like me. I was a light to others, using humor and joking to lift myself and others up, but once I lost traction, I fell into the negative feeling/thought/speech/action cycle.

The negative feeling/thought/speech/action cycle gives rise to a whole host of self-defeating illusions (lies), particularly self-doubt and fear.

The best way to get out of it is the same way you got in... one step at a time in the opposite direction.

#9 NickyLynn

NickyLynn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

I know what you mean. I want to return to who I was too. I was happy - I'm still well liked at work. But this group of people that don't like me who live near me are starting to eat at my soul. And there used to be a time, something like that would have never bothered me. I was confident in who I was and also very funny. Now I'm either on the verge of tears or simply annoyed. I don't like me. I miss loving me.

#10 KevinMF

KevinMF

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 05:11 AM

no you just care too much....try not to take everything so seriously

#11 above_and_beyond

above_and_beyond

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:21 PM

oh yea this is a big feature of my depression. I am hypersensitive to how others react to me and I have a horrible fear they think I am stupid. Or that I don't belong in medical school with them. Even though I perform around the average, sometimes a bit lower, I constantly feel like an ***** and am afraid that the next thing that comes out of my mouth will be wrong and everyone will be laughing secretly ... or worse, with each other at a later time.

The best advice I can give you is to take up a hobby or get involved with sports, this helps a lot in terms of building confidence. The only place i feel confident is on a bike or at the gym.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users