Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Wellbutrin And Acne/hair Loss -- Why? A Chemical Question....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 01:50 PM

So....there are questions about Wellbutrin and hair loss and bad skin, and I wanted to ask people's opinions.

Why would Wellbutrin cause this? Is it because Wellbutrin fools around with dopamine or norepinephrine levels?

I personally had both hair loss and terrible skin on Wellbutrin. On my SSRI (Prozac) I have none of that nonsense. Then again, I have read about people having hair loss with Lexapro (an SSRI).

What's the deal here? Thoughts?

Spring x0
Prozac x8 years, Wellbutrin x1 year, Prozac/Wellbutrin combo x2 months, Prozac again x1 year, Currently Prozac-free for ONE YEAR!!! -YAY!

#2 teripec

teripec

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:24 PM

i am no doc, but my opinion is... some anti-depressants increase anxiety... anxiety increases stress.. stress causes lots of problems, including hair loss... choices are ... a med. that does'nt cause weight gain, but increases anxiety... so you up the anti-anxiety med. or one that does'nt increase anxiety but puts alot of weight on you and they won't give you a weight loss pill.. but i have gotten a thyroid med. that helps a little to up your metabolism to counter meds. such as zyprexia

#3 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:06 PM

Springtimeofhisv,

I have gotten some pimples on Wellbutrin but havent noticed any hair loss - yet anyway. I have to probably take a guess with Teripec that maybe it is the anxiety causing it. But I dont know. Maybe some others have ideas.

Teripec - I have a thyroid condition and have to take thryoid meds. I dont know if you are getting these from a doctor or not, but if not, you better be careful messing around with your thyroid. It is not something you want to take just for weight loss or anxiety unless you are hyper/hypo thyroid. Your thyroid plays a big role in your overall system so you dont want to get it out balance. Just letting you know that.

Take care all,

Gentle Sun

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#4 teripec

teripec

• PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 03:10 PM

i did get the thyroid med from my doc she added it with the anti-depressants

#5 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

i am no doc, but my opinion is... some anti-depressants increase anxiety... anxiety increases stress.. stress causes lots of problems, including hair loss... choices are ... a med. that does'nt cause weight gain, but increases anxiety... so you up the anti-anxiety med. or one that does'nt increase anxiety but puts alot of weight on you and they won't give you a weight loss pill.. but i have gotten a thyroid med. that helps a little to up your metabolism to counter meds. such as zyprexia

It wasn't stress or anxiety. Because I have those all the time, and only while on Wellbutrin did it mess up anything, like my skin/hair/periods.

I thought maybe it was the dopamine in the Wellbutrin as I know meth addicts have bad skin...because of the dopamine?
Prozac x8 years, Wellbutrin x1 year, Prozac/Wellbutrin combo x2 months, Prozac again x1 year, Currently Prozac-free for ONE YEAR!!! -YAY!

#6 NorthernLight

NorthernLight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 08:45 PM

I'm on 450 of WB...I've been on it since May. Never had any issues with breakout or hair loss til recently. I don't think its the WB, I haven't been taking good care of my body in awhile.
Everything Will Be OK In The End, If Its Not OK Its Not The End.

#7 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:33 PM

I'm on 450 of WB...I've been on it since May. Never had any issues with breakout or hair loss til recently. I don't think its the WB, I haven't been taking good care of my body in awhile.

Maybe I should rephrase my question. I am not asking opinions about whether Wellbutrin caused acne/hair loss. I am asking if it DID, what chemical in it would cause that sort of thing?

dopamine? norepi?

#8 Ally424

Ally424

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

I don't know why WB would cause acne / bad skin and hair loss. I've been on WBXL for just over 2 months and I didn't make the connection at all, but my skin has gone from so-so to TERRIBLE during that time period. It's beyond frustrating.

#9 nextyear

nextyear

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 11:44 AM

I'm interested in this question as well, having spent a little while trying to figure out if I was delusional as well as depressed (not that there's anything wrong with that) when it seemed I was losing hair at an alarming rate on Wellbutrin.

It appears that people can experience hair loss on just about anything. For example, while I had no problem with this on SSRI's I know there are plenty of people who do. This makes me think that rather than any one chemical in Wellbutrin (or any other drug) causing the issue it's more about unique interactions between the drug and an individual.

I'm also wondering if more women than men experience this side effect, indicating a possible hormonal component. All told it's probably difficult to nail down given that hair loss/skin trouble isn't even recognized by many as a side effect at all.

#10 springtimeofhisvoodoo

springtimeofhisvoodoo

• PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 10:43 PM

I'm interested in this question as well, having spent a little while trying to figure out if I was delusional as well as depressed (not that there's anything wrong with that) when it seemed I was losing hair at an alarming rate on Wellbutrin.

It appears that people can experience hair loss on just about anything. For example, while I had no problem with this on SSRI's I know there are plenty of people who do. This makes me think that rather than any one chemical in Wellbutrin (or any other drug) causing the issue it's more about unique interactions between the drug and an individual.

I'm also wondering if more women than men experience this side effect, indicating a possible hormonal component. All told it's probably difficult to nail down given that hair loss/skin trouble isn't even recognized by many as a side effect at all.

I am tending to agree about the hormone thing. It has been 3+ weeks off Prozac now, and I notice my hormones are going a bit crazy. Now I realize that the SSRI also affected my hormones, but the Wellbutrin just did it more.

Wellbutrin, or whatever the interaction was between Wellbutrin and my body was, caused hair loss and acne. I get so irritated with people who just chalk it up to "stress". No, it wasn't stress, it was Wellbutrin! When I stopped the Wellbutrin, the acne, hair loss, weird periods, etc. all stopped with it. If you search the net, you will defo find other people who experienced this side effect as well. In fact, there is a whole forum devoted to hair loss from antidepressants, the major offenders being Celexa, Effexor and Wellbutrin (in that order).

So, Nextyear, I tend to agree with the hormonal component thing. A friend of mine started Celexa and had terrible clumps of hair falling out and her periods started acting all weird.

I am actually hoping to stay off meds altogether for awhile. I'm going to just take it week by week and see what happens. Please wish me luck!

#11 PhishyDeadhead

PhishyDeadhead

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:04 PM

hey... this thread is pretty old, but I just registered and have to comment. I did a search for Wellbutrin and acne, and came up with this website. I finally decided to see if there was a link between any of the meds I take and my acne.

I've always had it pretty bad with acne, because of my father's side of the family. However, I'm 22 and it should be stopping now, but it gets pretty ****ing bad sometimes..... Anyway, i finally went to a dermatologist to do something about it. He gave me Tetracycline, as well as a dabber and a cream for night. Its a battle... and sometimes my acne will clear up completely. Other times, though, its horrible... i hate it. Sometimes, though, I would cut back on my wellbutrin (not on purpose) but i never thought to look for a link.

in regards to the hair loss..... i think it makes total sense. Every time I shower, I always notice that a bunch of hair always comes out. And its not like a seasonal thing... its year-round. Its not big clumps... but theres a lot of hair. I have long hair so its not really noticeable, but it still happens.

i just replied in another thread about this... and I'm having trouble keeping my train of thought because my tylenol PM is kicking in and i'm losing it.....

anyway I'll be back. Definitely would like to hear from anyone whose been on Wellbutrin for a long time, like me (2+ years)

#12 donoadd

donoadd

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

I am male near fifty and though I had thinning hair before once I started Wellbutrine the hair loss and my eyesight were compromised. Could be a timing issue but I feel the hair loss was greatly accelerated in my case.

#13 KarenRB53

KarenRB53

• PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

I am male near fifty and though I had thinning hair before once I started Wellbutrine the hair loss and my eyesight were compromised. Could be a timing issue but I feel the hair loss was greatly accelerated in my case.

I've been on the combo of Wellbutrin/Celexa for about 6 months and definitely have hair loss. Wonder if it stops after awhile. Hope so.

#14 Gwenny720

Gwenny720

• Just Registered
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:26 PM

I've been on WB XL 150 to 300mg for 38 days now..
So that's over 5wks now. I noticed last week that
ouf of nowhere I started to break out in pimples.
I'm in my 30's & did have acne when I was younger.
I'm also taking Seasonique but I haven't broken out
from that until the week before my cycle starts & it's
only a tad bit. I have noticed some hair loss from
Seasonique & that really upset me so if I'm going
to have to deal with feeling like I'm a teenager &
looking like a "piece of peperoni pizza" then
this pill really needs to step up to the plate.

I only noticed some changes in my mood as
of last week & that is why at first I didn't really
mind the few pimples on my face.
This week is just too much. Yes, I'm finally
feeling like there is a light at the end of the tunnel
but, how much will I end up suffering if I'm
so self conscious of my face & hair that
I end up not going anywhere because I look
like I'm going through puberty.

I've had (in the past) my Dr. prescribe
stuff for acne & it would only temp. work
& it just dried out my skin. I've used Pro active
& that's ok but in a lot of things just dry out my
skin & I have sensitive skin as it is.

Can anyone give me any advice on the acne part?
Did it in time settle down?
If so I'd really appreciate it if someone would let
me know. I'd hate to have to change meds when
I'm just finally feeling something besides complete
darkness.

Thank you all for being so wonderful here on the
forums.
I wish everyone much success with their treatments
& to finding a light at the end of the tunnel :innocent:

#15 Bradoonee

Bradoonee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

It wasn't stress or anxiety. Because I have those all the time, and only while on Wellbutrin did it mess up anything, like my skin/hair/periods.

I thought maybe it was the dopamine in the Wellbutrin as I know meth addicts have bad skin...because of the dopamine?

Sounds like high testorone levels to me. I think you should get your T levels checked out.

#16 OnMeds

OnMeds

• PipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:44 AM

I've only been on Wellbutrin for 2-3 weeks, not a large does either. I have a ton of hair, lots of hair. Long hair.

I have noticed it seems more hair is falling out than usual, its obvious to me because my hair is so long when the strands fall out its noticeable to me.

I too have been wondering if it is the dopamine or norephenphrine that causes this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users