Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Any experience combining Remeron and Wellbutrin

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 canacool

canacool

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 12:38 PM

Hi, l was once on remoran to, with my Paxil. I was feeling better so l went off the remoran, l too gained weight on it too. I couldnt stop eating late at night, it was awful. But it did work for sleep, and quite well. Maybe you are not ready yet to go off the rem. I reduced the rem slowly and can sleep fine, but l am taking Paxil, not Well.

#2 ados

ados

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 11:25 PM

Mel,

You might try talking to either your doctor or your pharmacist.  They could give you some info about taking the two meds together.  On the other hand, if s/he thinks it best, perhaps your doctor would just keep you on the WB and add something to help you sleep.

Karen
Life is hard, but God is good.

Pam Thum

ados for Depression Forums Administration
Original DF join date: October 25, 2001 Posted Image

#3 melpointy

melpointy

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 17 October 2004 - 11:04 AM

Hi I was wondering if anyone had experience combining these two meds.  I am miserable not sleeping on the Wellbutrin.  I slept great on the Remeron the reason i stopped it is i gained some weight.  I am desperate.  Sleepless all the time.  Tired as heck.  But i dont want to gain more weight.  I want to go to the gym and stuff and eat better.  Any thoughts?

Mel :)

"We work hard at convincing ourselves that the world is the same way as it was as a child.  We justify that our protective behavior is necessary because as kids we were wounded.  The problem is that through this process we recreate the wounding."  Van Joines Phd.

#4 JonMan84

JonMan84

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:30 AM

Mel,

You might try talking to either your doctor or your pharmacist. They could give you some info about taking the two meds together. On the other hand, if s/he thinks it best, perhaps your doctor would just keep you on the WB and add something to help you sleep.

Karen

Wow. 2004. Super bump!

I was wondering about the combination of these drugs as well. Anyone else have any experience with the idea? I'm no no ADs at the moment but will likely be on at least one of these drugs by next week.

#5 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hi All,
Been on Remeron since January. I love everything about it except the need to eat (close to binging) late at night. I have fought very hard to keep the gain to 10 lbs. I'm also on Lexapro 10mg (now down to 5) for over a year and WB 150XL. I was hoping the Wellbutrin would curb the Remeron appetite, but so far, I'm not finding that to be the case. I have only been on WB for one month so far. So, next step is to discontinue the Lexapro and see if my anxiety/panic disorder creeps back into my daily life. If the WB works on my anxiety okay, then I'll go to the WB300XL plus Remeron. I'm trying to find a way to keep the Remeron because of my chronic insomnia. I've never slept better in my life than I do on Remeron. At $5/month it is by far the least expensive sleepaid/mood stabilizer I've ever met.

I hope somebody can post with more positive results with WB and Remeron. Cheryl

#6 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

Hi All,
Been on Remeron since January. I love everything about it except the need to eat (close to binging) late at night. I have fought very hard to keep the gain to 10 lbs. I'm also on Lexapro 10mg (now down to 5) for over a year and WB 150XL. I was hoping the Wellbutrin would curb the Remeron appetite, but so far, I'm not finding that to be the case. I have only been on WB for one month so far. So, next step is to discontinue the Lexapro and see if my anxiety/panic disorder creeps back into my daily life. If the WB works on my anxiety okay, then I'll go to the WB300XL plus Remeron. I'm trying to find a way to keep the Remeron because of my chronic insomnia. I've never slept better in my life than I do on Remeron. At $5/month it is by far the least expensive sleepaid/mood stabilizer I've ever met.

Hi Cheryl

As we have talked about elsewhere I will reiterate for other members. The Remeron is a well known munchie inducer, they even use it as a drug of choice for those that have cancer and depression as it stimulates appetite. And WB is often used to counteract the eating disorder it give you!!! lol. The down side it that WB sometimes stimulates and interferes with sleep and aggravates anxiety. Not always, and certainly not in everyone. That is one to the big "duhs" about talking about meds, everyone seems to have a completely personal reaction to them.

Since the histaminic effect is most often cited as the reason for mirt. being both a appetite inducer (I like that descrition) and a sleep aid, if the WB is somehow inhibiting that effect then it will probably effect both. But if it somehow overpowers the SEs then it might not effect one as it does the other.

But please keep us apprised as you seem to be the only one so far that is taking this combo, might find some others in the WB room though.

Peace and Love.... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#7 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hi All,

Hi Cheryl

As we have talked about elsewhere I will reiterate for other members. The Remeron is a well known munchie inducer, they even use it as a drug of choice for those that have cancer and depression as it stimulates appetite. And WB is often used to counteract the eating disorder it give you!!! lol. The down side it that WB sometimes stimulates and interferes with sleep and aggravates anxiety. Not always, and certainly not in everyone. That is one to the big "duhs" about talking about meds, everyone seems to have a completely personal reaction to them.

Since the histaminic effect is most often cited as the reason for mirt. being both a appetite inducer (I like that descrition) and a sleep aid, if the WB is somehow inhibiting that effect then it will probably effect both. But if it somehow overpowers the SEs then it might not effect one as it does the other.

But please keep us apprised as you seem to be the only one so far that is taking this combo, might find some others in the WB room though.

Peace and Love.... wayne

Hi Wayne!
I don't recall seeing this post before. I must not have "Enable" checked.

As you may know, I just did a trial with Topamax in an attempt to address migraine headaches, chronic neck pain and weight gain from Mirtazapine and Lexapro. Uncle. I quit cold turkey yesterday. Twelve days of horrendous anxiety, severe headaches, black-cloud depression, increased neck pain, constant gut ache, fluctuating high BP and about 6 other items on the adverse reactions list. Done. Scratch that one. I wasn't going to wait it out and see what was left of me at the other end of a 2 month trial. I STILL plan to get off the Lexapro though, so my newest plan of action is to follow the "Wayne" model for treatment of anxiety and depression. I have a gut feeling that Mirtazapine will completely resolve my anxiety/depression issues, but have been leaving it as the choice of last resort out of fear I will lose its night-time sedative properties. But now I'm willing to give it a go. I may sleep just fine if I take the split dose as you do.

Currently I'm taking 22.5 (1.5 15mg tabs) at night and sleep well. How did you titrate to 45mg and in how many doses? I couldn't find that info in my search today. I suppose I'll be a day-time zombie for a week or so as I add daytime doses? Since you have done soooo much research and are basically a poster-child for mirtazapine, I look to you as an expert on this med. From what I've read, my anxiety disorder is extreme like yours "was" before mirtazapine (although I've never committed myself).

My GP will give me permission to try varying doses of the meds I'm on including eliminating them if I chose. She let me try Topamax and thank goodness, the trial was free and I didn't ask for a 90-day script! I wish I had a PDoc with your credentials, but I'm not so lucky.

I plan to keep WB150XL on board. It does not increase anxiety for me, except when I forget to take it! The other day I was 4 hrs late in taking it and was having massive BP issues, tachycardia, anxiety, etc. and then I realized DUH, you didn't take your WB. That was scary, cause I'm wondering how the heck I will get off that one when I WANT to. Fact is somewhere down the line when I feel stable, I'm going to do a trial of WB300XL, the next step. Only when I'm feeling very, very brave. :hearts:

Step one is to eliminate Lex completely and replace with Mirtz.
Take Care! Cheryl

#8 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:44 PM

I might add that the Lexapro eliminated migraine headaches and chronic neck pain for me. No idea why. Although it doesn't belong in this thread, just thought I'd mention it. The Remeron/Wellbutrin combo will probably not address this, but who knows! I didn't expect that result with the Lexapro either, it just was a nice off-label benefit. Cheryl

#9 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 01:48 AM

Hi All,

Hi Cheryl

Peace and Love.... wayne

Hi Wayne!
As you may know, I just did a trial with Topamax in an attempt to address migraine headaches, chronic neck pain and weight gain from Mirtazapine and Lexapro. Uncle. I quit cold turkey yesterday. Twelve days of horrendous anxiety, severe headaches, black-cloud depression, increased neck pain, constant gut ache, fluctuating high BP and about 6 other items on the adverse reactions list. Done. Scratch that one. I wasn't going to wait it out and see what was left of me at the other end of a 2 month trial. I STILL plan to get off the Lexapro though, so my newest plan of action is to follow the "Wayne" model for treatment of anxiety and depression. I have a gut feeling that Mirtazapine will completely resolve my anxiety/depression issues, but have been leaving it as the choice of last resort out of fear I will lose its night-time sedative properties. But now I'm willing to give it a go. I may sleep just fine if I take the split dose as you do.
Currently I'm taking 22.5 (1.5 15mg tabs) at night and sleep well. How did you titrate to 45mg and in how many doses? I couldn't find that info in my search today. I suppose I'll be a day-time zombie for a week or so as I add daytime doses? Since you have done soooo much research and are basically a poster-child for mirtazapine, I look to you as an expert on this med. From what I've read, my anxiety disorder is extreme like yours "was" before mirtazapine (although I've never committed myself).
My GP will give me permission to try varying doses of the meds I'm on including eliminating them if I chose. She let me try Topamax and thank goodness, the trial was free and I didn't ask for a 90-day script! I wish I had a PDoc with your credentials, but I'm not so lucky.
I plan to keep WB150XL on board. It does not increase anxiety for me, except when I forget to take it! The other day I was 4 hrs late in taking it and was having massive BP issues, tachycardia, anxiety, etc. and then I realized DUH, you didn't take your WB. That was scary, cause I'm wondering how the heck I will get off that one when I WANT to. Fact is somewhere down the line when I feel stable, I'm going to do a trial of WB300XL, the next step. Only when I'm feeling very, very brave. :hearts:
Take Care! Cheryl

I might add that the Lexapro eliminated migraine headaches and chronic neck pain for me. No idea why. Although it doesn't belong in this thread, just thought I'd mention it. The Remeron/Wellbutrin combo will probably not address this, but who knows! I didn't expect that result with the Lexapro either, it just was a nice off-label benefit. Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I went up 15 x 1 week, and then 30 for about 3 weeks when it was really working well, then I tried a bunch of combo's like dopamax and then we went up to 45. Stay there for a trial of some other combos, playing with the norepi receptor and then increase the mirt to 60, 45 in the morning and 15 at nite to try Abilify (dopamine antagonist/agonist), the increase of mirt as a guarantee that my anxiety would be under control. After 10 days at 10 mg. aripiprazole, I am thinking I might have to quit caffeine so I can evaluate it properly, a bit of anxiety now.

As long as you have the OK to play with your dose, I would think 30mg. would be the logical next step.

Sorry you pain relief my be out the window, ask your doc about gabapentin, great for pain and similar to topamax but with a lot fewer SEs than the other anti-epileptics/mood stabilizers, it actually goes thru the bottle totally unmetabolized. Sorry your WB is so finely tuned, hope a slightly higher dose gives you better coverage without excessive SE..... More later.... lol Keep me posted.... LOL

Peace and Love.... wayne

Sabbat Shalom

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

#10 chinkes

chinkes

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

Hi All,

Hi Cheryl

Peace and Love.... wayne

Hi Wayne!
Take Care! Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I went up 15 x 1 week, and then 30 for about 3 weeks when it was really working well, then I tried a bunch of combo's like dopamax and then we went up to 45. Stay there for a trial of some other combos, playing with the norepi receptor and then increase the mirt to 60, 45 in the morning and 15 at nite to try Abilify (dopamine antagonist/agonist), the increase of mirt as a guarantee that my anxiety would be under control. After 10 days at 10 mg. aripiprazole, I am thinking I might have to quit caffeine so I can evaluate it properly, a bit of anxiety now.

As long as you have the OK to play with your dose, I would think 30mg. would be the logical next step.

Sorry you pain relief my be out the window, ask your doc about gabapentin, great for pain and similar to topamax but with a lot fewer SEs than the other anti-epileptics/mood stabilizers, it actually goes thru the bottle totally unmetabolized. Sorry your WB is so finely tuned, hope a slightly higher dose gives you better coverage without excessive SE..... More later.... lol Keep me posted.... LOL

Peace and Love.... wayne

Sabbat Shalom

Thanks for the reply Wayne. Anxiety sucks. Hoping you can fine tune that Abilify so you have the perfect combo with the Mirtz. Not quite sure if you already moved up to the 60mg mirtz or that is your next step to get any anxiety in check? Did you start with 10mg Abilify or have you been tapering up? Now that I dumped the Dopamax, I feel like a wimp. I was only half-way to the 100mg. Perhaps I might have broken through the anxiety, depression, crying spells, headaches, etc., but I bailed. I felt worse and worse every day. On the day of my final dose I actualy stuttered and could not find the simplest of words in my head. I felt like a "Dope." I have never stuttered in my life, and did not know I was capable of making those sounds... Wha-wha-what's up D-d-d-d-doc? I'm not making fun of stutterers; just never heard myself doing it. Thanks for your suggestion. Think I'll go 15 night/15 am with the mirtz and see how that is. I still have break-through anxiety now at only 5mg Lex, so can't let go of that yet until the anxt is better controlled. Three days w/o TOP and I'm feeling sooo much better than I was but far from good. See you around the forum! Cheryl

#11 think

think

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 03:46 PM

This is an interesting idea. I never thought about asking my doc to try both wellbutrin XR and remeron at the same time. I take 330mg well and 5-10mg adderall XR a day which has worked for a couple of months (although made me even more of an insomniac). Now I'm not getting the dopamine boost I need but taking more adderall make the anxiety too much.

I was thinking of asking my doc to take me off the wellbutrin and try remerol instead. We've never addressed my serotonin since we've been coming at this from the ADHD angle. I think we need to address my seratonin but I'm apprehensive about the negative sex effects and the sedation effects. My sex drive and energy are already super low. I think I need all 3 neurotransmitters boosted so maybe the remeral, wellbutrin, adderall is a good combination to try? Or does that not sound right?

#12 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:11 AM

Thanks for the reply Wayne. Anxiety sucks. Hoping you can fine tune that Abilify so you have the perfect combo with the Mirtz. Not quite sure if you already moved up to the 60mg mirtz or that is your next step to get any anxiety in check? Did you start with 10mg Abilify or have you been tapering up? Now that I dumped the Dopamax, I feel like a wimp. I was only half-way to the 100mg. Perhaps I might have broken through the anxiety, depression, crying spells, headaches, etc., but I bailed. I felt worse and worse every day. On the day of my final dose I actualy stuttered and could not find the simplest of words in my head. I felt like a "Dope." I have never stuttered in my life, and did not know I was capable of making those sounds... Wha-wha-what's up D-d-d-d-doc? I'm not making fun of stutterers; just never heard myself doing it. Thanks for your suggestion. Think I'll go 15 night/15 am with the mirtz and see how that is. I still have break-through anxiety now at only 5mg Lex, so can't let go of that yet until the anxt is better controlled. Three days w/o TOP and I'm feeling sooo much better than I was but far from good. See you around the forum! Cheryl

Hi Chery,

Can't believe so much time has transpired since we last touched bases. I am currently taking 45mg mirtz. and 150 SR bupropion in the morning and a singular 15 mg mirtz. at bedtime. And I can really say, this is probably where I will stay. The first two weeks with the addition of bupropion (so called honeymoon) was just that, great. Then these last two weeks have been less that exciting although a bit of apprehension has come through (not wanting to call it anxiety as it is not that bad). Energy levels have subsided somewhat.

In your case, you might consider taking the mirtz in a single dose, check with your doc about that, especially if you want the mirtz to control your anxiety. Also, at the higher doses the munchies are not nearly as bad, and even though I don't get sleepy on the higher dose, I do fall asleep readily and wake up clear headed. But anyhow, PM me if you want more details but the above just about touches all the bases.

Peace and Love... wayne
Sabbat Shalom

#13 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:18 AM

This is an interesting idea. I never thought about asking my doc to try both wellbutrin XR and remeron at the same time. I take 330mg well and 5-10mg adderall XR a day which has worked for a couple of months (although made me even more of an insomniac). Now I'm not getting the dopamine boost I need but taking more adderall make the anxiety too much.

I was thinking of asking my doc to take me off the wellbutrin and try remerol instead. We've never addressed my serotonin since we've been coming at this from the ADHD angle. I think we need to address my seratonin but I'm apprehensive about the negative sex effects and the sedation effects. My sex drive and energy are already super low. I think I need all 3 neurotransmitters boosted so maybe the remeral, wellbutrin, adderall is a good combination to try? Or does that not sound right?

Dear Think,

Talk to your doc about this, mirtz. actually addresses serotonin only in a different fashion than SSRIs. It addresses norepi much like many of the existing ADHD meds and the antihistamine effect is quieting to any anxiety. Combine that with bupropion and you get an additional lift in Norepi plus the dopamine effect. At least those two together address the three major transmittors but in a somewhat different fashion than most other pMeds. Actually, both bupropion and mirtz are known for their sexual SE sparring properties. At 63, I can say mine is working just fine, and in the past I have been extremely sensitive to this SE with the SSRIs that I have tried. As far as sedation is concerned, those concerns went out the window when I started bupropion.

Peace and Love.... wayne
Sabbat Shalom

#14 think

think

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 04:06 PM

Dear Lambvet,

Thanks for the input. I'm going to the doc next week so will discuss this combo with him.

Actually, both bupropion and mirtz are known for their sexual SE sparring properties.

I have noticed a decent increase in my sex drive. It could be because of the wellbutrin on it's own or maybe just being less depressed overall. Either way it's a good thing! Maybe the mirtz will get me back to normal... :hearts:

#15 Norman_Bates

Norman_Bates

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:26 AM

Someone mentioned Remeron and Noradrenaline,so I 'd thought I'd add a couple of points
Although I have been prescribed this for Anxiety.I don't see it working for Anxiety because apparently one of the causes of Anxiety is increased Noradrenaline levels and Remeron elevates these levels.So in theory it's not supposed to work
,but hey this is Psychiatry,and in it's world what works on paper doesn't in reality and vice versa.
However it should work for severe depressive symptoms of being Physically or Mentally lethargic

As a stress hormone, norepinephrine affects parts of the brain where attention and responding actions are controlled. Along with epinephrine, norepinephrine also underlies the fight-or-flight response, directly increasing heart rate, triggering the release of glucose from energy stores, and increasing blood flow to skeletal muscle.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edited by Norman_Bates, 09 December 2007 - 06:31 AM.

#16 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

Someone mentioned Remeron and Noradrenaline,so I 'd thought I'd add a couple of points
Although I have been prescribed this for Anxiety.I don't see it working for Anxiety because apparently one of the causes of Anxiety is increased Noradrenaline levels and Remeron elevates these levels.So in theory it's not supposed to work
,but hey this is Psychiatry,and in it's world what works on paper doesn't in reality and vice versa.
However it should work for severe depressive symptoms of being Physically or Mentally lethargic

As a stress hormone, norepinephrine affects parts of the brain where attention and responding actions are controlled. Along with epinephrine, norepinephrine also underlies the fight-or-flight response, directly increasing heart rate, triggering the release of glucose from energy stores, and increasing blood flow to skeletal muscle.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Norman,

Interesting, a common misconception about reuptake inhibitors. They don't increase the levels of neurotransmittors, but increase the time that the neurotransmitttors are available to the synapse, thereby getting a more efficient transmission. Another thing about mirtazapine is its antihistamine effect, this has been thought to be the reason why there is a calming effect to it. There was actually a time that I was prescribed Benedryl for my anxiety. I suffered from extreme anxiety that the SSRIs aggravated. I even voluntarily enter the pWard more than once due to my anxiety, especially when a new SSRI was Rx'ed. It took some time before the pDox understood that I was not a good candidate for SSRIs. Upon first taking mirtazapine, I had immediate (2nd day) relief from my anxiety and have ever since.

Interestingly enough, this thread is about the combination of mirtazapine and bupropion. Bupropion is another NRI, making more nor-epi available to the synapse. It also modulates dopamine. I am now on the combination myself and so far (4th week on bupropion) I have seemingly found the right meds for me. And like you said, real life and what works on paper do not agree. Before trying bupropion, my pDoc was hesitant about using it as it sometimes aggravates anxiety, but I needed something to jazz me up just a bit, I am also dysthymic. BINGO, the combination has worked like a charm so far. As my anxiety was debilitating, this is a godsend to me.

Peace and Love... wayne

#17 Norman_Bates

Norman_Bates

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for you view lamvet,
Well I've been taking 15mg-30mg for some time,and my pDoc seems to believe it's Anxiety although my complaint is Severe Insomnia and Tension.It hasn't really solved the long term issue,and the sedation effect wore off very quickly.
I did have better luck with 15mg of Zopiclone which is double the dose for sleep and 2.5mg Ativan for the Tension during the day,but the Doc is reluctant to re-prescribe it for the potential of addiction.Although i've never felt any addiction towards it just like I don't for chocolate or alcohol ect..
Do you know anything that might work?
Sorry to go off topic a bit

Edited by Norman_Bates, 09 December 2007 - 08:42 AM.

#18 tomac00

tomac00

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:53 AM

Yep - it's been a good combo for me as well. The Remeron has killed my anxiety and let me sleep ( 45mg at bedtime). The WB SR 100mg x 2 a day has had it's up and downs ( about 2 months on it) but overall it is helping. It energizes me to get back to some of my interests plus helping out at work. May ask about moving up to 300mg a day on my next visit in January.

Same concern as Wayne as I had a terrible experience w/ Celexa and my doc thought the WB could prove to be too "anxious" for me. Luckily that has not been the case.

Good luck on your journey !!!
"Thunder is good, thunder is impressive; but it is lightning that does the work"
Mark Twain 1835-1910

"Strength - never give up; reach within yourself"Posted Image

"The only weakness you have is your self esteem. I wish you could see yourself as the rest of the world sees you "

#19 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for you view lamvet,
Well I've been taking 15mg-30mg for some time,and my pDoc seems to believe it's Anxiety although my complaint is Severe Insomnia and Tension.It hasn't really solved the long term issue,and the sedation effect wore off very quickly.
I did have better luck with 15mg of Zopiclone which is double the dose for sleep and 2.5mg Ativan for the Tension during the day,but the Doc is reluctant to re-prescribe it for the potential of addiction.Although i've never felt any addiction towards it just like I don't for chocolate or alcohol ect..
Do you know anything that might work?
Sorry to go off topic a bit

Hi NB,

Well, perhaps your doc can increase your dose, the therapeutic dose is listed at 45 mg., but my doc has me taking 60 mg. and says he has clients taking 75 mg. So there could be some leeway there for you, I take mine in split doses during the day, not all in one dose.

I had good results with benzos as well, but they are habit forming and the detox is a bear. They are one classification of drug that will eventually create a tolerance and then a dependency. I was able to get alone with 1 mg. doses. And you are talking 2.5 mg. perhaps you already had/have a tolerance to them and that played a part in your doctors decision.

Peace and Love... wayne
Sabbat Shalom

#20 pepsiat

pepsiat

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 02:23 PM

I'm very anxiety and full of tension, but not worrier. Now I been on Wellbutrin 150 two weeks and today my doc gave me Remeron 15 for bed time. I let you know how does it works. I have been fighting for insomnia about 10 years now.

#21 Norman_Bates

Norman_Bates

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 01:01 PM

Well, perhaps your doc can increase your dose, the therapeutic dose is listed at 45 mg., but my doc has me taking 60 mg. and says he has clients taking 75 mg. So there could be some leeway there for you, I take mine in split doses during the day, not all in one dose.

I had good results with benzos as well, but they are habit forming and the detox is a bear. They are one classification of drug that will eventually create a tolerance and then a dependency. I was able to get alone with 1 mg. doses. And you are talking 2.5 mg. perhaps you already had/have a tolerance to them and that played a part in your doctors decision

1mg never did work for me,2.5mg relieved the symptoms so I stuck with that.I had a withdrawal problem with the Zopiclone going from 2 pills to 1 and didn't sleep for at least a month.I take Remeron 30mg at the moment with 5-HTP
I plan to use the 5-HTP on it's own in the near future.

Edited by Norman_Bates, 19 December 2007 - 01:02 PM.

#22 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 03:37 PM

I'm very anxiety and full of tension, but not worrier. Now I been on Wellbutrin 150 two weeks and today my doc gave me Remeron 15 for bed time. I let you know how does it works. I have been fighting for insomnia about 10 years now.

Hi Pepsiat,

That was exactly what I was taking it for and my anxiety has been at bay for 10 months now. And I sleep like a baby, which is a godsend. However, trazadone worked well for my insomnia as well. Keep us posted as to your progress.

Peace and Love.... wayne

#23 shaunessy02

shaunessy02

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

I just now joined this forum as I have been on Remeron for about 6 years and just went from 30mgs to 60mgs and have a mild sore throat. I wanted to see if anyone else had this and remember when I started taking Remeron in '99 I had a mild sore throat. I have always had anxiety depression and insomnia from the time I was 4 years old.

Remeron truly changed my life. Nothing else really worked for me. For the last 4 years I have combined Remeron with 300 mg Welbutrin but have tried all the other SSRI types (Paxil, Lexapro, Zoloft) with Remeron. I (we / doctor included) found the Welbrutrin and Remeron had a positive balance Welbutrin up and Remeron down.

I have been on interferon for Hep C and experienced accute episodes of darkness that only you people could understand. Pardon the wordy intro but I have much experience with these two meds in combination and hope it works as well for you as it has for me..

#24 ang1983

ang1983

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

[size="1"]I started taking Remeron for depression and sleep about a month ago after trying a laundry list of other failed meds. I was sleeping better than ever and feeling great! It was the best one yet. So I thought anyway........I was eating like a T rex. It was ablsoluely horrible. It was like I could never get full. Eating at all hours of the day and night. After gaining over 15 pounds I had enough. I went back to the doctor today and expressed my concerns and he added a daily dose of Wellbutrin. He said it would curb my appetite and also help me to quit smoking. I start taking it tomorrow so I will let you know how it works out for me.

#25 jeff70

jeff70

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 08:54 PM

I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg (occasionally 450mg) for about 8 years, most of them in combination with Prozac. The Prozac stopped working, and I switched to Cymbalta briefly (worked great for me, but not on the Veterans' Administration formulary). I just started Remeron with WB last night.

The reported absence of sexual side effects is a good thing, but given the damage that my depression and anxiety have inflicted on my relationship, I may find that I was happier without a sex drive.

At any rate, my first night impression is that it may help a lot with my sleep-maintenance problem secondary to depression. I took it with my Restoril, which has always been marginally effective at best, and the synergy of the two seems much more effective, though I felt somewhat sluggish and over-sedated this morning. After a few nights, I will try the Remeron without the Restoril.
---
"One day I feel I'm on top of the world, and the next it's falling in on me."
- Neil Peart, "Far Cry"

#26 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• 8,655 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:19 AM

I take mirtazapine, 60 mg./day split into two doses, along with 100 mg. of bupropion followed by another 100mg. approximately 6-8 hours later. Throw in 400mg. gabapentin every 8 hours for good measure. This is magical for me, after too many years, I can't extol this combination enough. It is just too bad that we mostly have differing neurophysiology to contend with, or I would insist that everyone here on DF take the same cocktail.

But the bupropion was added to give me a bit more of an energizing effect and to counteract the eating disorder, lol, that I developed as a results of taking mirtazapine. The mirt. was explicitly for anxiety, but didn't address my dysthymia, hence the addition of bupropion and gabapentin (mood stabilizer).

But all in all, I couldn't be happier, the combination works great for me, actually I would describe it as a godsend, I feel truly blessed with this combo. It has fully returned me to a state of mind that I am fully happy with. The most important part of this whole thing has been my ability to once again fully enjoy my spiritual experience. I had somehow lost that connection due to apathy.

Peace and Love.... wayne
Sabbat Shalom

#27 jeff70

jeff70

• PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:06 AM

The psychiatrist I originally saw in the intake clinic just increased my Remeron from 15 mg to 30 mg to accompany my bupropion HCl 300 mg today. She also doubled my temazepam to 30 mg and added Depakote as a mood stabilizer...just to make SURE that all I did was eat and sleep!

...and just as the Remeron munchies had pretty much worn off.

Previous trials of mood stabilizers (Seroquel, Lamictal, and Abilify) have not had any effect when added to past regimens of Wellbutrin and a second antidepressant, but that may be, at least in part, because there was nothing dramatically bad going on, so there was nothing to show a dramatic improvement. At least that's not a problem now. Being in a 16-month-long major depressive episode, an active anxiety attack that has lasted non-stop for a week, a sharp increase in sui, errr, bad thoughts over the last five days, and at least a week away from any expectation of efficacy from the Remeron, at least the Depakote will have room to do some dramatic stuff. :-)

As for the combination itself of Wellbutrin and Remeron, it's still too soon to say anything more than "no complaints."

It suddenly feels like sleepy time.

Good night, all.

Jeff
---
"One day I feel I'm on top of the world, and the next it's falling in on me."
- Neil Peart, "Far Cry"

#28 Benthere

Benthere

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

<font color='#FF7F00'>Hi I was wondering if anyone had experience combining these two meds.  I am miserable not sleeping on the Wellbutrin.  I slept great on the Remeron the reason i stopped it is i gained some weight.  I am desperate.  Sleepless all the time.  Tired as heck.  But i dont want to gain more weight.  I want to go to the gym and stuff and eat better.  Any thoughts?

Mel :)</font>

Hi Mel

I take Wellbutrin XL and I found that if I took a small dose of Melotonin (3 mg.) when I went to bed, it kept the restlessness down and I slept well, still felt good in the morning, awake and alert.
Might be worth a try for you.

Benthere

#29 cyathula

cyathula

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:12 PM

i posted on another thread concerning a wellbutrin and remeron combo, but i wanted to jump on this thread as well.

i have been on remeron for about 4 months before i told my psych that i've had it with the weight gain (20+lbs). remeron puts a halo on all the foods you shouldn't eat and even after exercising and trying to eat healthy, there's no keeping off the pounds. when i first got on remeron, it had helped me a lot on my depression, but now i'm getting depressed about the weight.

my psych prescribed wellbutrin (start 150 then 300 in a week) a couple days ago instead and i am coming off remeron (30 to 15mg). it has only been two days and already i can tell my appetite has been curbed. remeron helps me sleep like a baby at night, and i am going to ask my psych to let me stay on 15mg of remeron plus the wellbutrin. wellbutrin seems to have helped since it has a known side-effect of weight-loss. no one may really know why it does, but it does seem to be helping me stay away from snacking like crazy. i am hoping wellbutrin can regulate remeron's ridiculous appetite-enhancement side-effect but still help me sleep at night. wellbutrin itself seems to be helping my mood though a couple days on it is hardly enough to make any conclusions.

will update later to see how this goes. so far so good.

Edited by cyathula, 06 March 2009 - 09:15 PM.

#30 RMinCanada

RMinCanada

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:44 AM

Hi,
Until a month ago, I'd been on Wellbutrin xl, Cipralex and Remeron continuously for 2 years. Last year (2008) was the best year mentally / psychologically in over ten years. I felt blessed every night to have had such a good day. But as I wrote in my post on Remeron & Weight Gain, the 60 pounds I've gained in the last two years are really bad physically. This last month, my doc & I have been trying to see if something else will work to help me sleep instead of the Remeron but I have been sliding down,fast. Already I've dropped 15 pounds which is good, but since I'm spiraling downhill fast, I don't do anything or go anywhere.

I hate the thought of having to go back on the Remeron because of the weight gain, but over the 10 years we've exhausted most ADs alone or in cocktails.

I think others would say it's a no-brainer and go back on Remeron, but what about the weight?

#31 cyathula

cyathula

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi,
Until a month ago, I'd been on Wellbutrin xl, Cipralex and Remeron continuously for 2 years. Last year (2008) was the best year mentally / psychologically in over ten years. I felt blessed every night to have had such a good day. But as I wrote in my post on Remeron & Weight Gain, the 60 pounds I've gained in the last two years are really bad physically. This last month, my doc & I have been trying to see if something else will work to help me sleep instead of the Remeron but I have been sliding down,fast. Already I've dropped 15 pounds which is good, but since I'm spiraling downhill fast, I don't do anything or go anywhere.

I hate the thought of having to go back on the Remeron because of the weight gain, but over the 10 years we've exhausted most ADs alone or in cocktails.

I think others would say it's a no-brainer and go back on Remeron, but what about the weight?

So wellbutrin didn't do anything for your weight huh? When you were on Remeron, were you eating more or were you eating more or less the same but pounds just would pile up for no good reason?

#32 RMinCanada

RMinCanada

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hi cyathula,
I seem to have lost my previous replies to you. Trace has intervened and hopefully got me sorted out. This is my first reply to a forum.

When I was on the Remeron I gained 60 pounds. My appetite was definitely increased but not enough to gain that amount of weight. Sometime around a month or two ago, I came off the Remeron for about 3 weeks. I lost around 10 pounds easily. I was desperate for sleep & went back on the REMERON and within 5 days I'd gained 4 or 5 pounds. It was NOT from eating, as I was feeling really tired & depressed. After that my pdoc put me on other meds for sleep and I came back off the Remeron. As of today, I've dropped 18 pounds of the 60, without even trying, but I am totally depressed. I see my pdoc again on Tuesday. I'm beginning to think what's the point of a body that weighs the right amount, but all I want to do is sleep and cancel everything I'm supposed to do.

I know I probably should choose mental health over physical but I HATE the 60 pounds and what I look like. arrrggg.

#33 mauers30

mauers30

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hi cyathula,
I seem to have lost my previous replies to you. Trace has intervened and hopefully got me sorted out. This is my first reply to a forum.

When I was on the Remeron I gained 60 pounds. My appetite was definitely increased but not enough to gain that amount of weight. Sometime around a month or two ago, I came off the Remeron for about 3 weeks. I lost around 10 pounds easily. I was desperate for sleep & went back on the REMERON and within 5 days I'd gained 4 or 5 pounds. It was NOT from eating, as I was feeling really tired & depressed. After that my pdoc put me on other meds for sleep and I came back off the Remeron. As of today, I've dropped 18 pounds of the 60, without even trying, but I am totally depressed. I see my pdoc again on Tuesday. I'm beginning to think what's the point of a body that weighs the right amount, but all I want to do is sleep and cancel everything I'm supposed to do.

I know I probably should choose mental health over physical but I HATE the 60 pounds and what I look like. arrrggg.

Hi RM,

Both your mental health and your physical health are important. If your physical health is poor, it's going to affect your mental health.
I read elsewhere that Remeron affects your metabolism so while you may not be eating much more, your altered metabolism is causing you to gain more weight than you would if you were to eat the same amount of food without taking Remeron.

#34 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

Hi RM,

Physical health can and does often effect your mental health. One of the biggest side effects that people have on remeron is the weight gain. Seeing that being off of the remeron does help with losing weight there are so many other meds that can help with your depression and sleep. I take a combo of meds that help me in all areas and for some reason after several yrs of gaining weight I have started losing some of that weight, as to why and how I'm not sure but I am glad that I'm losing it so I can't complain. You may want to check with your pdoc on other meds that can help you further with depression and sleep. Try to keep your appointments and don't give up on that, it does take time to find the right meds for you which I know is a trial and error situation and can be very frustrating but if you give up on it then you most likely will feel worse all the way a round. I know it's hard but try to hang in there with your pdoc to help you find the right meds that may be able to help you because your physical and mental health are both important.

If we can't stand alone to help ourselves,
with support we shall stand together
to make the changes and a difference within our lives
and the lives of all for the better.

#35 maeB_normal

maeB_normal

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:40 AM

I have been on 150 Wellbutrin for a couple of years now. This past summer I had several tragic/bad things happen in succession and fell into a very deep depression, worse than I have ever felt.

Prior to being on wellbutrin, i was on remeron. I loved how well I slept, but I had such mood swings that I had to take Ativan just to be tolerable at work. I have been taking zopiclone 7.5 with the wellbutrin to help me sleep, but that has gone out the window with the heavy depression. My first go at AD's was Celexa, but I hated the sexual side effects.

So now my doc is letting me try Remeron 30 (once a day at night) again in combo with Wellbutrin 150- specifically to help me sleep and the hope is that the wellbutrin will calm the mood swings that remeron gave me. I noticed the first day that I was eating more; after going for almost 2 months of barely eating once a day I could not stop filling my face. I felt so sore and bloated and ended up here reading posts after googling wellbutrin + remeron. I had some higher doses of wellbutrin (300 mg once a day in the morning) from a previous experiment before everything went to h*ll, so I upped my dose and that curbed my appetite to around a normal level, however after going from nothing to something eating-wise I have gained 5 pounds.

So as of Oct. 28, my cocktail looks like this: Wellbutrin 300 in the morning. Remeron 30 before bed with 15 mg zopiclone. And it takes me 2 hours to fall asleep, so I have to drug up hours before I think I might be going to bed.

I never lost weight on Wellbutrin. I was crazy on Remeron. And I have chronic insomnia from the depression that even double doses of zopiclone can't touch. Does this sound like the meds have the opposite effect on me? Anyone else have these types of symptoms?

I don't feel as anxious anymore- I was taking Ativan a couple of times a day just to get by, but I do not want to go out or socialize in any way. It is a huge chore for me to go food shopping. I am not interested in talking to people or working. I admit I am a homebody, but still I took an interest in life. I never had anxiety before this big depression hit, anxiety to the point of panic attacks.

Anyone? All comments welcome!
Mae

#36 X-ray

X-ray

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:03 AM

I have been on 150 Wellbutrin for a couple of years now. This past summer I had several tragic/bad things happen in succession and fell into a very deep depression, worse than I have ever felt.

Prior to being on wellbutrin, i was on remeron. I loved how well I slept, but I had such mood swings that I had to take Ativan just to be tolerable at work. I have been taking zopiclone 7.5 with the wellbutrin to help me sleep, but that has gone out the window with the heavy depression. My first go at AD's was Celexa, but I hated the sexual side effects.

So now my doc is letting me try Remeron 30 (once a day at night) again in combo with Wellbutrin 150- specifically to help me sleep and the hope is that the wellbutrin will calm the mood swings that remeron gave me. I noticed the first day that I was eating more; after going for almost 2 months of barely eating once a day I could not stop filling my face. I felt so sore and bloated and ended up here reading posts after googling wellbutrin + remeron. I had some higher doses of wellbutrin (300 mg once a day in the morning) from a previous experiment before everything went to h*ll, so I upped my dose and that curbed my appetite to around a normal level, however after going from nothing to something eating-wise I have gained 5 pounds.

So as of Oct. 28, my cocktail looks like this: Wellbutrin 300 in the morning. Remeron 30 before bed with 15 mg zopiclone. And it takes me 2 hours to fall asleep, so I have to drug up hours before I think I might be going to bed.

I never lost weight on Wellbutrin. I was crazy on Remeron. And I have chronic insomnia from the depression that even double doses of zopiclone can't touch. Does this sound like the meds have the opposite effect on me? Anyone else have these types of symptoms?

I don't feel as anxious anymore- I was taking Ativan a couple of times a day just to get by, but I do not want to go out or socialize in any way. It is a huge chore for me to go food shopping. I am not interested in talking to people or working. I admit I am a homebody, but still I took an interest in life. I never had anxiety before this big depression hit, anxiety to the point of panic attacks.

Anyone? All comments welcome!
Mae

Hi,

I’ve been on Wellbutrin XL (150 mg) and Remeron (30 mg) for ten days.
Wellbutrin has given me a lot of energy. I have always been tired, but I’m not tired anymore.
So I think that this is a great combo.

But I didn’t sleep well for the first week. I realized that I had to add a new medicine.
Now I take a small dose of Fluanxol (flupenthixol) in the morning. This med takes care of my anxiety.

I’ve been on Buspar for many years, but this med didn’t mix well with Wellbutrin.
I became anxious and didn’t function in society. Fluanxol (0,5 mg) is a more potent medicine.

I might add Sonata (zaleplon) to Remeron for sleep.
This medicine has a half-life for only 1 hour. The duration of action is 4 hours.
I hope to fall asleep fast (Sonata), then keep on sleeping (Remeron).

This idea could be worth a try.

Best regards,
X-ray

Edited by X-ray, 10 November 2009 - 03:18 AM.

#37 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:08 PM

Hi X-ray,
I have been on both of them at the same time before and did well until my immune system kicked in and stayed on the remeron and other meds were added. I was recently put on welbutrin just to help with trying to stop smoking but my system couldn't tolerate it this time. Don't know why but as I guess as our bodies change and being on other meds may play into the picture.

#38 mauers30

mauers30

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 05:37 PM

I take 300mg of Wellbutrin. I started taking Remeron at night and 15mg knocked me out.
It definitely helped my sleep and it seemed to help the Bupropion as well (though that might be just because I was actually getting a decent nights sleep)

I stopped because the Remeron does make you horribly hungry all day and puts you at risk for metabolic syndrome, which I'm already at risk for genetically.

If you're not worried about the hunger or weight gain, I found them to be a great combination. In some people, the appetite suppressant of Wellbutrin counteracts the hunger from Remeron.

On that note, I have a question as well...
Has anyone heard of taking Remeron for sleep occasionally like an over-the-counter sleep aid?

#39 SecretMist

SecretMist

• Platinum Member
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hi mauers30,

I have never heard of anyone taking remeron like an over the counter sleep aid. On any prescribed medications from professionals the meds should be taken as directed from the prescribing doctor because of the possibilities of withdraws and possible other medical reasons. When being put on or off a medication it should always be monitored by the professionals.

#40 John D

John D

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 12:52 PM

I take mirtazapine, 60 mg./day split into two doses, along with 100 mg. of bupropion followed by another 100mg. approximately 6-8 hours later. Throw in 400mg. gabapentin every 8 hours for good measure. This is magical for me, after too many years, I can't extol this combination enough. It is just too bad that we mostly have differing neurophysiology to contend with, or I would insist that everyone here on DF take the same cocktail.

But the bupropion was added to give me a bit more of an energizing effect and to counteract the eating disorder, lol, that I developed as a results of taking mirtazapine. The mirt. was explicitly for anxiety, but didn't address my dysthymia, hence the addition of bupropion and gabapentin (mood stabilizer).

But all in all, I couldn't be happier, the combination works great for me, actually I would describe it as a godsend, I feel truly blessed with this combo. It has fully returned me to a state of mind that I am fully happy with. The most important part of this whole thing has been my ability to once again fully enjoy my spiritual experience. I had somehow lost that connection due to apathy.

Peace and Love.... wayne
Sabbat Shalom

Ancient thread, I realize, but wondering if Lambvet/Wayne is still around and posting.

If you are, could you tell me if you still take mirtazapine 45mg in the morning and another 15mg at night, or if you split them evenly, 30mg in the morning and 30 at night.

I'm on a WB and Mirtz combo too, and am just now experimenting with 60mg of Mirtz. These two meds are the easiest tolerated of all the ADs I've tried.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users