Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can't Keep A Job

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 fed_up

fed_up

ID: 19647

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:47 PM

This is just a bit of rant really. Since leaving school i haven't been able to hold a job down for longer than a year. Usually about 10 months and i move on to something else and it's dead end job to dead end job and it's depression and anxiety that is the reason for this. It makes me feel so hopeless about the future and i feel like i'm in the way at home with my parents now, but moving out just isn't a possibility because it would be on my own and it's just a really scary thought. It's something where somedays i think i'd be great at it, but other days not and i know that i'm way too unstable to move out and live alone truthfully. I'll have to take the leap one day, but i get a bad feeling in my stomache just thinking about it because how will i be able to unless i get a better wage or meet someone, and i can't say i have much hope on that front really. I'm sounding really loserish aren't i lol.

I've been thinking recently that i'm not sure if i can carry on with my current job if it gets much worse and it's the same as last time. It's not the worst job, but the work is mundane repetitive office work. I'm just getting nowhere. In the job i had before my current one i was offered a shift manager position and i took it but 3 months later i moved on from the job for mixed reasons. Stress, and it was just getting harder to be around the people i'd actually got quite friendly with. It reached that point where i felt i had to do it for my health. I know what that says about me, that i've got issues that need resolving and i'm hoping to start therapy soon, but that's going to pose problems regarding work as well. I probably shouldn't have stirred all these thoughts up, but it's the truth you know. I guess i've just got to try and work through them and find a way to change things. How is depression affecting your work situation? Does anyone else go from dead end job to dead end job because depression and anxiety holds them back?

#2 gentle sun

gentle sun

ID: 6842

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hi Fed up,

Just read your post and I imagine how hard it must be for you right now. Is there a particular job you would be interested in? What was your major in school? I know how you feel. You hate to stay in a job that is stagnant and you are bored or worse yet, stressed. Either one is not good. Maybe you could write down a list of things you feel you cannot do and things you are good at and can do. See what turns up. The job situation is not good for anyone these days. My husband has had so many jobs I cant even count them. It used to get me upset. Now, I say - oh well. I cant change him or the jobs. He is very good and a hard worker but he would have anger episodes when he got stressed and that would create problems. Either he would quit or he would get fired. The only good thing is he is retired military so we get some pension each month and we have insurance benefits. I have not worked in almost 4 years now since a layoff. Now I dont even know if I could handle the stress. But, I am doing home care companion work which is not stressful at all, however, it doesnt pay well. What do you need or want the most? Satisfaction in your job or money? Sometimes if it is money, you may have to give up what you would rather do. I dont know your skills but the way I see it anymore, jobs are jobs - boring sometimes, stressful sometimes. You sometimes have to roll with the punches. I feel sorry for the people who have 2 and 3 jobs low paying just to put food on the table for their children. Life is hard. Hang in there, you will find a solution.

Gentle Sun

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#3 unicorn

unicorn

ID: 19691

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 03:39 AM

Hi Fed Up,

Not sure whether I can be much help, but sometimes it's enough to know that there are people out there listening to you and empathising. I'm quite lucky I suppose in that I've been in the same great job for the past almost three years since finishing University. I try my hardest not to let my depression affect my work, but it can be very difficult sometimes. Stress is my biggest weakness, it can almost bring me completely undone. But unfortuntely stress is such a normal part of work these days, and really cannot be avoided - we just need to learn how to cope with it and become stronger.

I would suggest finding a job that you really enjoy, even if it doesn't pay as much as you would like. There's a saying that if you find a job you like, you will never have to work a day in your life. I wish you the best of luck.
:. unicorn .:

"Such is life." - Ned Kelly

#4 gentle sun

gentle sun

ID: 6842

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

Hi Fed Up,

Not sure whether I can be much help, but sometimes it's enough to know that there are people out there listening to you and empathising. I'm quite lucky I suppose in that I've been in the same great job for the past almost three years since finishing University. I try my hardest not to let my depression affect my work, but it can be very difficult sometimes. Stress is my biggest weakness, it can almost bring me completely undone. But unfortuntely stress is such a normal part of work these days, and really cannot be avoided - we just need to learn how to cope with it and become stronger.

I would suggest finding a job that you really enjoy, even if it doesn't pay as much as you would like. There's a saying that if you find a job you like, you will never have to work a day in your life. I wish you the best of luck.

Thats true Unicorn!! There is a book out "Do what you love and the money will follow". You may have read it. Dont know if that is always true, but really if you are happy in your job, you try harder and if you try harder maybe you will get a raise and definitely more training then you can go to another job same kind that pays better. Ah, anyway what is money? If you have plenty, you spend plenty. If you have little, you are very careful what you buy. I seem to be happier with less money. Im weird, I guess.

GS

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#5 fed_up

fed_up

ID: 19647

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Thanks for the help guys, i appreciate the comments.

I would always choose happiness over money any day. I believe if i was happy it would have a knock on effect and other options would be open to me. It's not even like it's my job i really hate, thinking about it though. I agree gentle sun, a jobs a job, i'm used to the sort of work i do. It doesn't give me a sense of achievement, but if i didn't feel like the outcast and didn't have trouble talking to people and feel over shy and a loner, then i could be happy in my job. I've been taking meds for 5 days now and t's been a better day today, i've communicated more and felt better, i'll see how it goes from here.

#6 Jaggedmind

Jaggedmind

ID: 19392

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 04:27 PM

It's really nice to hear of someone getting better. I'm in similar situation living with my parents. For me though I'd love to have "dead end" mindless type office work. Now I can't even get my foot in the proverbial door. I'd feel a little better if I at made a few hundred dollars a week. I make 0$ a week and that's frustrating because it leaves me even more stuck.

#7 littlestar

littlestar

Gold Member

ID: 13351

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:18 AM

I have hard times keeping jobs too.

I don't mind doing repetitive office job. I wish I can have an office job. It's way better than carrying boxes and moving things.

Anyways. ....

how about check out to see is there any vocational center in your city? Vocational center that is non-profit, government funded, and best if it's for mental health client too.

And may be seeing a counselor would really help. I feel like for me it's some kind of knots inside my heart that make it difficult for me to keep a job. Perhaps you are similar too?
God, help me.

#8 dondi2538

dondi2538

ID: 16069

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 12:46 PM

Hey fed Up,
Your post sounds just like me. I am 40, just turned it recently, and am unemployed. I have spent the last 17 years going from low paying job to low paying job to end up with nothing. The depression and anxiety got to me on every job and I would just start hating it for no real reason. Next thing I knew I quit.Now I really want and need a job and I can't seem to get one. It's hard explaining the 6 year gap in employment. It seems like no one wans to hire me and I am determined to not end up working the night shift at another convenience store. The irony is that I quit the jobs because of depression and now I'm so much more depressed because I can't get a job.

#9 littlestar

littlestar

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 03:39 PM

Hey fed Up,
Your post sounds just like me. I am 40, just turned it recently, and am unemployed. I have spent the last 17 years going from low paying job to low paying job to end up with nothing. The depression and anxiety got to me on every job and I would just start hating it for no real reason. Next thing I knew I quit.Now I really want and need a job and I can't seem to get one. It's hard explaining the 6 year gap in employment. It seems like no one wans to hire me and I am determined to not end up working the night shift at another convenience store. The irony is that I quit the jobs because of depression and now I'm so much more depressed because I can't get a job.

I would just made up reasons saying that I went to another country (e.g. UK, etc), but decided to come back to live here.
God, help me.

#10 zaitsev

zaitsev

ID: 18253

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:07 PM

Like many that have written, I have difficulty holding a job. Just like someone already mentioned, I become depressed when I work; I become depressed when I don't work because of financial constraints. It sucks. I usually lose jobs because I get on someone's nerves or someone gets on my nerves. I possess the personality trait that gets on people's nerve. I joke alot. I guess I am trying too hard to mask how I really feel inside. I want to be liked. Many times before I know what I have done wrong, someone's is mad at me. And it goes downhill from there. This is a pattern for me.

#11 littlestar

littlestar

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

:hearts:

Edited by littlestar, 19 October 2007 - 10:03 AM.

God, help me.

#12 starr

starr

Silver Member

ID: 1886

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

Hi Fedup,

I understnad your situation. My depression has made my whole career thing
nonexistent! I am always afraid I will have problems and people will find out
and I am not ready for that. I usually take jobs beneath my abilities just bec
they are less stressful but then they arent as fulfilling. It is a hard decision when
you suffer from depression but I have found that working is better than not
bec it occupies my time and keeps me from obsessing over my depression.
Of course when my depression is real bad I have a hard time functioning at
work so it is a vicious cycle!!

Best wishes to you,
starr

#13 billnye7

billnye7

Just Registered

ID: 52690

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 07:00 PM

I only hold a job for 30 - 90 days.. is this because nobody will hire me except Temp agencies.. or am I just messed up or something???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users