• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewMom

Remeron for sleep

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

I am taking Remeron simply as a sleep aid.  I take a very low dose - I have 15 mg pills, and I take 1/4 to 1/2 a pill -- so that's 3.75 to 7.5 mg.  At this dose, I get sleepy within 20 minutes and sleep pretty well through the night.  Without it, I don't sleep well at all!

I take Effexor XR (300 mg) and Zoloft (50 mg) to ward off depression.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else is using Remeron as a sleep aid.  :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

I tried Remeron as a sleep aid for awhile. It let me sleep great, but made me eat like a whale and gain weight like crazy. I couldn't stand that part. Now I'm taking trazodone as a sleep aid, but I have to keep it to 100 mg or I'm a zombie the next day.

Posted · Report post  

Hi, l take remoran for a sleep aid as well, half to 15mgs is what l have been taking. It works great for me to, but it does make me feel hungry all the time. I take it with Paxil as well, l might start weening of the remoran, l am gaining alot of weight. But it helps with sleeping soooo much. what to do? :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

I can confirm that many people are taking Remeron as a sleep aid.

I tried to use it for depression several years ago, but unfortunately it didn't work at all, too weak for me.

Posted · Report post  

Awhile back I took Remeron for sleep in addition to depression and anxiety.  I already had dry mouth from other meds and was treating it with specialty dental products.  Remeron made it much worse.  I woke up in the night needing water which defeated its purpose as a sleep aid.

Katie :sleepy:

Posted · Report post  

just started taking remeron about 1 week....seemed to be making me feel better, 15 mgs, good sleep, but I fell back into the abyss again today, depressed and slept all afternoon.  Guess I need to give it more time...anyone have any other experiences?

Posted · Report post  

lbgirl-

It took four  weeks for remeron to help with anxiety and 10weeks for the AD effect to kick in.

Good Luck!

smithci likes this

Posted · Report post  

ten weeks for the ad effect? I wonder if I simply didn't give it long enough.

I would be prepared to use a very low dose again as a sleep aid in conjunction with prozac if my doc would allow it, which he probably wouldn't, sigh.

Posted · Report post  

Hiya Raying and welcome to the forums! Have you tried any other doses or remeron? I recall reading somewhere, dunno if it's true, that the lower a dose you take, the more sedating it actually is .. bizarre! Do you find it works as an anti depressant as well? More and more people seem to be using it solely as a sleep aid.

Posted · Report post  

I actually had the opposite affect.  If I take any more than 15mg I am in a coma.  Which sucks, because now I have to find a new AD because 15mg remeron isn't doing enough for me. :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

Hiya Raying and welcome to the forums! Have you tried any other doses or remeron? I recall reading somewhere, dunno if it's true, that the lower a dose you take, the more sedating it actually is .. bizarre! Do you find it works as an anti depressant as well? More and more people seem to be using it solely as a sleep aid.

Thanks for the welcome Josephine...It is also and anti depressant for me but its main purpose for me is a sleep aid....

Posted · Report post  

To be honest I didn't find it worked very well for my depression ;). Do you have any side effects?

Posted · Report post  

I take 30mg Remeron before bed. I started sleeping completely through the night from day 1. I used too stay up for days. I started Remeron because I just didn't feel sleepy at all :bump:. The dreams are crazy and fun, sometimes sleeping is more entertaining than being awake.

I also take 200mg Provigil and 60mg Strattera in the morning, I know without those, I wouldn't be able to stand. I stopped taking 200mg Lamictal 2 days ago because I developed a "Mysterious

Posted · Report post  

remeron will make you sleep alot!

Posted · Report post  

I was on Remeron for 4 days, then I could not take it anymore. At 15 mg I was not getting any sleep, plus I had horrible nightmares. I would wake up from the nightmare and still have hallucinations from the nightmare, but I could not move. I was so excited to start Remeron, because I heard so many good things about it. Now I am back on Trazedone 300mg for sleep and I get pretty good sleep. :hearts:

Posted · Report post  

I was on Remeron for 4 days, then I could not take it anymore. At 15 mg I was not getting any sleep, plus I had horrible nightmares. I would wake up from the nightmare and still have hallucinations from the nightmare, but I could not move. I was so excited to start Remeron, because I heard so many good things about it. Now I am back on Trazedone 300mg for sleep and I get pretty good sleep. :hearts:

Sorry to hear that.. I've gotten those weird episodes where I dream when i'm half awake. It can get pretty scary, the best thing to do is use your mind powers (lol I sound like a nut) and try wiggling your toes and work from there until you have regained complete consciousness. I don't think it's a hallucination because i've never heard things that weren't there, it's just like a really vivid looking dream.

The above only happens when I drink lots of coffee in the day and then take a nap before it's time for bed. I'm now off the Remeron though. My Doc. dropped the Remeron and Lamictal and added Abilify and Prozac.

-----

I'm now taking 80mg Strattera, 10mg Abilify, 200mg Provigil and 20mg Fluoxetine (Prozac). The sad thing is that i'm DEAD TIRED

Posted · Report post  

hi there, heh I've never even heard of most of the things you are on :) I am on prozac too though and, whilst it's very effective, I also feel tired all the time :(

Posted · Report post  

Does the tolerance to the sedation that remeron produces change a lot with a growth in tolerance over time? If anyone has experienced that how long did it take

Posted · Report post  

I was on Remeron for a couple of months, and the tiredness/sleepiness decreased when I increased the dosage (for some reason, Remeron works that way - higher doses produce fewer side-effects). It always helped me sleep, and that effect didn't diminish; unfortunately, for me, the daytime fatigue also didn't decrease and I had to discontinue it. For many people, though, the side-effects do diminish over time. It's a very individual response.

I'm curious as to why you're asking - what's your situation?

Wishing you well...

Posted · Report post  

I was on Remeron for a couple of months, and the tiredness/sleepiness decreased when I increased the dosage (for some reason, Remeron works that way - higher doses produce fewer side-effects). It always helped me sleep, and that effect didn't diminish; unfortunately, for me, the daytime fatigue also didn't decrease and I had to discontinue it. For many people, though, the side-effects do diminish over time. It's a very individual response.

I'm curious as to why you're asking - what's your situation?

Wishing you well...

Thanks for asking! I recently was prescribed Remeron for problems with sleeping at night, or the lack of it for that matter. As of today (1/10/06), it is the third day I have been taking this medication. I take one 15mg Remeron every night and from my experience so far of three nights taking it has been interesting. It seems that my sleep has improved somewhat, and I feel less stress in the day and much less anxiety (the kind that keeps me up at night), however I still am curious as to how this medication will change in its effects (fatigue, slightly diminished coordination, and of course better and more steady mood), and the tolerance to the goal effects I want from it (more sleep and more sleep efficiency). I find it interesting that Remeron produces less side effects when the doese is increased. Are their other drugs that work this way or is Remeron one of a kind in that sense?

:hearts:

Posted · Report post  

I find it interesting that Remeron produces less side effects when the doese is increased. Are their other drugs that work this way or is Remeron one of a kind in that sense?
Remeron is the only med I'm aware of that works this way.

As to how you'll react to it over time, it's a very individual response. I hope you do well on it, and reach and maintain your goals.

Posted (edited) · Report post  

Thanks Lizard. I appreciate the support. My doctor reccomended that I stick with taking Remeron for at least two weeks before I decide whether this type of med is best for me. I usually am one to make quick decisions/opinions about a medication after beginning the regimen, but I am going to be patient with it as Remeron has what seems to be a somewhat unique "effects curve" over time. It is the first of its class, which is a relatively new one if I'm not mistaken. Hope the best for you as well

Edited by nick e

Posted · Report post  

I find Remeron is excellent for a sleep aid and if taken at an appropriate time can really reduce the amount of anxiety and stress.

I'll have to ask someone if it can be taken irregularly as a sleep aid but I am using other methods as a sleep aid like putting honey in decaffeinated tea.