Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Remeron for sleep

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
32 replies to this topic

#1 Ocracoker16

Ocracoker16

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,205 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:43 PM

Awhile back I took Remeron for sleep in addition to depression and anxiety.  I already had dry mouth from other meds and was treating it with specialty dental products.  Remeron made it much worse.  I woke up in the night needing water which defeated its purpose as a sleep aid.

Katie :sleepy:

Katie

#2 NewMom

NewMom

• Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 01:28 PM

I am taking Remeron simply as a sleep aid.  I take a very low dose - I have 15 mg pills, and I take 1/4 to 1/2 a pill -- so that's 3.75 to 7.5 mg.  At this dose, I get sleepy within 20 minutes and sleep pretty well through the night.  Without it, I don't sleep well at all!

I take Effexor XR (300 mg) and Zoloft (50 mg) to ward off depression.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else is using Remeron as a sleep aid.  :hearts:
www.ppdsupportpage.com

#3 Sammy

Sammy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 30 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

I tried Remeron as a sleep aid for awhile. It let me sleep great, but made me eat like a whale and gain weight like crazy. I couldn't stand that part. Now I'm taking trazodone as a sleep aid, but I have to keep it to 100 mg or I'm a zombie the next day.
none

#4 canacool

canacool

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 04:19 PM

Hi, l take remoran for a sleep aid as well, half to 15mgs is what l have been taking. It works great for me to, but it does make me feel hungry all the time. I take it with Paxil as well, l might start weening of the remoran, l am gaining alot of weight. But it helps with sleeping soooo much. what to do? :hearts:

#5 Eugene

Eugene

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 09:03 PM

I can confirm that many people are taking Remeron as a sleep aid.

I tried to use it for depression several years ago, but unfortunately it didn't work at all, too weak for me.

#6 lbigirl

lbigirl

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:40 AM

just started taking remeron about 1 week....seemed to be making me feel better, 15 mgs, good sleep, but I fell back into the abyss again today, depressed and slept all afternoon.  Guess I need to give it more time...anyone have any other experiences?

#7 Ravenstorm

Ravenstorm

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:57 AM

lbgirl-

It took four  weeks for remeron to help with anxiety and 10weeks for the AD effect to kick in.

Good Luck!

• smithci likes this

#8 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:31 PM

ten weeks for the ad effect? I wonder if I simply didn't give it long enough.

I would be prepared to use a very low dose again as a sleep aid in conjunction with prozac if my doc would allow it, which he probably wouldn't, sigh.
We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever

#9 raying85

raying85

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:59 AM

I take 45mgs of Remeron to help me sleep....

#10 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:12 AM

Hiya Raying and welcome to the forums! Have you tried any other doses or remeron? I recall reading somewhere, dunno if it's true, that the lower a dose you take, the more sedating it actually is .. bizarre! Do you find it works as an anti depressant as well? More and more people seem to be using it solely as a sleep aid.
We shall swim out to that brooding reef in the sea and dive down through black abysses to and many columned Y'ha-nthlei, and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory for ever

#11 Ravenstorm

Ravenstorm

• PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 10:52 AM

I actually had the opposite affect.  If I take any more than 15mg I am in a coma.  Which sucks, because now I have to find a new AD because 15mg remeron isn't doing enough for me. :hearts:

#12 raying85

raying85

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:07 PM

Hiya Raying and welcome to the forums! Have you tried any other doses or remeron? I recall reading somewhere, dunno if it's true, that the lower a dose you take, the more sedating it actually is .. bizarre! Do you find it works as an anti depressant as well? More and more people seem to be using it solely as a sleep aid.

Thanks for the welcome Josephine...It is also and anti depressant for me but its main purpose for me is a sleep aid....

#13 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

To be honest I didn't find it worked very well for my depression ;). Do you have any side effects?

#14 Sesshoumaru

Sesshoumaru

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:14 PM

I take 30mg Remeron before bed. I started sleeping completely through the night from day 1. I used too stay up for days. I started Remeron because I just didn't feel sleepy at all :bump:. The dreams are crazy and fun, sometimes sleeping is more entertaining than being awake.

I also take 200mg Provigil and 60mg Strattera in the morning, I know without those, I wouldn't be able to stand. I stopped taking 200mg Lamictal 2 days ago because I developed a "Mysterious  Rash :hearts:", behind my right leg.

It took about 8 weeks for the anxiety effects to kick in. It felt like there was a dark rainy cloud over my head, but after stopping the lamictal, depression went away :D . Oh yea... I gained alot of weight the first 3 weeks, but I lost all of it + 10 pounds shortly thereafter. I guess Remeron slows your down your metabolism at first, but when your body catches up, you burn fat like a furnace.

Remeron is wonderful, I hope this helps.
Ignorance is Blisssssssssssssss....

#15 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 09:07 AM

Hi and welcome! I am glad to read such a postive review :)

#16 DSL

DSL

• PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 10:16 PM

remeron will make you sleep alot!

#17 Josephine

Josephine

• Platinum Member
  • 3,784 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:34 AM

hi there, heh I've never even heard of most of the things you are on :) I am on prozac too though and, whilst it's very effective, I also feel tired all the time :(

#18 Plumeria

Plumeria

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:25 AM

I was on Remeron for 4 days, then I could not take it anymore. At 15 mg I was not getting any sleep, plus I had horrible nightmares. I would wake up from the nightmare and still have hallucinations from the nightmare, but I could not move. I was so excited to start Remeron, because I heard so many good things about it. Now I am back on Trazedone 300mg for sleep and I get pretty good sleep. :hearts:

#19 Sesshoumaru

Sesshoumaru

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:13 AM

I was on Remeron for 4 days, then I could not take it anymore. At 15 mg I was not getting any sleep, plus I had horrible nightmares. I would wake up from the nightmare and still have hallucinations from the nightmare, but I could not move. I was so excited to start Remeron, because I heard so many good things about it. Now I am back on Trazedone 300mg for sleep and I get pretty good sleep. :hearts:

Sorry to hear that.. I've gotten those weird episodes where I dream when i'm half awake. It can get pretty scary, the best thing to do is use your mind powers (lol I sound like a nut) and try wiggling your toes and work from there until you have regained complete consciousness. I don't think it's a hallucination because i've never heard things that weren't there, it's just like a really vivid looking dream.

The above only happens when I drink lots of coffee in the day and then take a nap before it's time for bed. I'm now off the Remeron though. My Doc. dropped the Remeron and Lamictal and added Abilify and Prozac.

-----
I'm now taking 80mg Strattera, 10mg Abilify, 200mg Provigil and 20mg Fluoxetine (Prozac). The sad thing is that i'm DEAD TIRED  :sleepy: and literally sleeping 23 Hours a day. I'm lucky I have a good roomate, cause if it weren't for her, I probably would be too tired to get up and eat. I've been like this for, well I think today's my 7th day (i've lost track of time).

Can anyone help me? I just got discharged from my current Doc. to a doctor closer to home. I haven't met my new one yet, so I have no one to talk to about this. If someone is kind enough to cut this post from those "dashed lines" on top to where this might already be being discussed I would be so greatful.

I'm SO tired I barely have the energy to type  :sniffle1:, please help....lol
Ignorance is Blisssssssssssssss....

#20 nick e

nick e

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:11 PM

Does the tolerance to the sedation that remeron produces change a lot with a growth in tolerance over time? If anyone has experienced that how long did it take

#21 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 12:06 PM

I was on Remeron for a couple of months, and the tiredness/sleepiness decreased when I increased the dosage (for some reason, Remeron works that way - higher doses produce fewer side-effects). It always helped me sleep, and that effect didn't diminish; unfortunately, for me, the daytime fatigue also didn't decrease and I had to discontinue it. For many people, though, the side-effects do diminish over time. It's a very individual response.
I'm curious as to why you're asking - what's your situation?
Wishing you well...
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#22 nick e

nick e

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:09 PM

I was on Remeron for a couple of months, and the tiredness/sleepiness decreased when I increased the dosage (for some reason, Remeron works that way - higher doses produce fewer side-effects). It always helped me sleep, and that effect didn't diminish; unfortunately, for me, the daytime fatigue also didn't decrease and I had to discontinue it. For many people, though, the side-effects do diminish over time. It's a very individual response.
I'm curious as to why you're asking - what's your situation?
Wishing you well...

Thanks for asking! I recently was prescribed Remeron for problems with sleeping at night, or the lack of it for that matter. As of today (1/10/06), it is the third day I have been taking this medication. I take one 15mg Remeron every night and from my experience so far of three nights taking it has been interesting. It seems that my sleep has improved somewhat, and I feel less stress in the day and much less anxiety (the kind that keeps me up at night), however I still am curious as to how this medication will change in its effects (fatigue, slightly diminished coordination, and of course better and more steady mood), and the tolerance to the goal effects I want from it (more sleep and more sleep efficiency). I find it interesting that Remeron produces less side effects when the doese is increased. Are their other drugs that work this way or is Remeron one of a kind in that sense?
:hearts:

#23 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 10 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

I find it interesting that Remeron produces less side effects when the doese is increased. Are their other drugs that work this way or is Remeron one of a kind in that sense?

Remeron is the only med I'm aware of that works this way.
As to how you'll react to it over time, it's a very individual response. I hope you do well on it, and reach and maintain your goals.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#24 nick e

nick e

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:01 AM

Thanks Lizard. I appreciate the support. My doctor reccomended that I stick with taking Remeron for at least two weeks before I decide whether this type of med is best for me. I usually am one to make quick decisions/opinions about a medication after beginning the regimen, but I am going to be patient with it as Remeron has what seems to be a somewhat unique "effects curve" over time. It is the first of its class, which is a relatively new one if I'm not mistaken. Hope the best for you as well

Edited by nick e, 11 January 2006 - 12:02 AM.

#25 BionicRufus

BionicRufus

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 02:20 PM

I find Remeron is excellent for a sleep aid and if taken at an appropriate time can really reduce the amount of anxiety and stress.

I'll have to ask someone if it can be taken irregularly as a sleep aid but I am using other methods as a sleep aid like putting honey in decaffeinated tea.

#26 hbircharo

hbircharo

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 01:05 AM

I take Remeron (Mirtazapine) for sleep aid also, but more or less the depression, stress, and the wieght gain effect. I take it usually irregulare and in 30 minutes then I am down for the count for the rest of the night. I am very happy with this medication.

#27 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 12:09 PM

Good to hear it's working so well for you!
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#28 jamespds

jamespds

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:11 PM

I am taking Remeron simply as a sleep aid.  I take a very low dose - I have 15 mg pills, and I take 1/4 to 1/2 a pill -- so that's 3.75 to 7.5 mg.  At this dose, I get sleepy within 20 minutes and sleep pretty well through the night.  Without it, I don't sleep well at all!

I take Effexor XR (300 mg) and Zoloft (50 mg) to ward off depression.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else is using Remeron as a sleep aid.  :hearts:

remeron is great for sleep
hello

#29 Moonlight_Magic

Moonlight_Magic

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:56 AM

Ive been on remeron for 4 years, and i find it helps me sleep as long as im not overly stressed out at the time. Im on a 30mg dose, and i still get episodes of depression but find that 45mg gives me to many side effects. Besides although im prone to depression in the summer months, its mostly in the winter months i get down now so i just put it down to a bit of possible SAD.

It does make me eat more, but then ive always had a liking for food and a symtpom of SAD is food cravings (which i do get in the winter months, usually for chocolate, cheese and carbs) so ive no idea if its me, SAD or the remeron. At the same time during the summer months i have been on a healthy eating plan and lost the weight, so whatever it is it can be controlled when my mood is not low.

I also suffer with an anxiety and panic disorder, which is not as bad as it used to be, but i have found the sedative effects of remeron has helped with that too.

It doesnt stop the depression entirely but it does take the edge off. On 30 mg i have had relatively few side effects if any.

i like remeron.
"Oneday your prince will find you, mine just got lost on the way and was too stubborn to ask for directions!" (annoymous)

All quotes below by me and whomever happened to come up with them before i did (lol):

"Beneath the pessimism that is depression im an eternal optimist, so please don't be fooled by my seeming negativity!" *ahem*

"Finding acceptance from the world around us, begins with finding acceptance of the self".

"You dont have to achieve great things to be a great person!"

"On the road of life im a sunday driver. Im taking the scenic route at a speed im comfortable with. So if you want to overtake me, please feel free, but dont keep beeping your horn at me, its irritating. Thankyou"

#30 jitters

jitters

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:30 AM

Ive been on remeron for 4 years, and i find it helps me sleep as long as im not overly stressed out at the time. Im on a 30mg dose, and i still get episodes of depression but find that 45mg gives me to many side effects. Besides although im prone to depression in the summer months, its mostly in the winter months i get down now so i just put it down to a bit of possible SAD.

It does make me eat more, but then ive always had a liking for food and a symtpom of SAD is food cravings (which i do get in the winter months, usually for chocolate, cheese and carbs) so ive no idea if its me, SAD or the remeron. At the same time during the summer months i have been on a healthy eating plan and lost the weight, so whatever it is it can be controlled when my mood is not low.

I also suffer with an anxiety and panic disorder, which is not as bad as it used to be, but i have found the sedative effects of remeron has helped with that too.

It doesnt stop the depression entirely but it does take the edge off. On 30 mg i have had relatively few side effects if any.

i like remeron.

#31 jitters

jitters

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

Hello All,

I have been having problems with going to sleep and even not sleeping at all.
I have in the past had issue with staying asleep and would take a small amount of Imovane to get back off.
I have been having major anxiety lately. I think it's mostly from lack of sleep so my Dr. prescribed Remeron.
I took 15mg last night for the first time.
I was asleep very quickly. However, I only slept for 4 hours and woke up. It's very hard to get in to see my Dr. and was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience and what they did to get a full night say 6-8 hours. Would decreasing the dose do that? I have read that Remeron works kinda in reverse that way. Less = more drowsy. Does that equate to longer sleep?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

J

#32 Davevanza

Davevanza

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:29 PM

I have experienced with Avanza in the dosage from 15mg up to 135 mg now. After awhile, it's not sedating anymore, it only calms me down, escpecially when combined with 300mg Seroquel which is I think
5 times more sedating than Avanza.

Some of my friends that I met when I was hospitalised also took Avanza 15 mg for sleep. They say it only worked for 2 hours, then they would get up off bed again at nite time.

For me, the doc combined both Avanza 135mg and Seroquel 300mg, and I have been on it since 2005, and can't sleep without it !

#33 Soccer_Dude

Soccer_Dude

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

Hi,

I know this is an old post, so I'm not sure if anyone is still watching.

Anyway, I started Remeron a week ago Monday at 7.5mg before bed. I didn't get too drowsy like some people get, but I did sleep like 8 hours and felt refreshed in the morning. Best sleep I had in months. My anxiety was kept at bay, but I think that was only because I had just tapered off Lexapro (on it for 4 weeks), and it was helping with anxiety and I'm sure it was still in my system.

Anyway, the next two nights on Remeron I sleep pretty good, started having vivid dreams, some times you do feel like you are partially away but yet you are dreaming. Still felt pretty refreshed in the morning, anxiety at bay, etc.... After 3 nights on 7.5mg, I went to 15mg. Same deal with sleep, mood and anxiety. After a few days on 15mg, I started feeling really good mood wise. Not sure if that was from the better sleep, or if Remeron was kicking in. I did come of Lexapro and that started to give me back a more positive mood as it had flatlined my emotions. Also, the weather was nice and I was at the beach, so that I'm sure all helped make me more happy. The next two days, still slept and felt a decent mood. But, then the following day, I woke up felt pretty good, but by the afternoon, I my mood dropped big time, my anixety came back, I couldn't sleep etc... Was this caused by remeron, or was I now experiencing Lexapro withdrawal side-effects? Not sure... The next two days not good, the following two days I felt a little better, but still had a lot of uncontrollable anxiety which makes me feel uncomfortable. I did try 30mg Remeron one night, and that seemed to help my mood the next day, still had anixety, but then I tried 15mg again the following night, and still feel about the same. I think I will stick to 15mg for a while longer before going back up to 30mg. I really want the effect of sleep it can have at the lower doses, but I also need help with anxiety and depression. So, is 15mg enough to cover all?

Soccer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users