Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Higher dosage of Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

I'm crawling through a refinance where every possible thing has gone wrong.  The person who is doing our loan is a real goof and has messed up even the payoff checks to the creditors, so things still aren't paid off yet.    :(

I'm going to loos my job due to the place where I work dissloving.  I've worked there 27 years, and my motivation to go to work is siltch.  Things have been cut to the qyick, and it's very stressful not knowing what the future holds.  My health is not great.  Can I rant any more?

Seriously, so far, so good.  If not for meds,   :bump:  It's just lots of stressful events at this point, but I'm going through the movements and trying to keep myself busy.  I just can't seem to motivate to look for another job, though.  I'm already overwhelmed, so I'm kind of waiting to see if I get laid off.  I need a rest, but I don't think I'll be able to afford ERSIA or whatever it's called when you pay for benefits.  Need to look into what I can get in benefits on the outside.  I bet it will be over $400. for basic coverage with very high deductables.

I think I better get it in gear while I still have this job!    :hearts:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#2 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 03:09 PM

Oh my Jkm,

What a harrowing time for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Hugs*
I always try and remember that one baby step at a time.  I think ERISA or COBRA have to send you a letter stating you want to continue (that is how it use to be) and then the fun begins.  If it makes you feel any better I am paying over $1000 out of pocket for my meds ea. month.  :hearts:  I am in the middle of applying for grants and looking all over the web for cheaper prices.  I am also having to cut my visits to the pdoc as is my depressed husband.

I will be praying for you.

Aber,

why are you on Geodon? (if you don't mind me asking) I am so glad you aren't feeling depressed!
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#3 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

Aber, thank you for sharing with me about the Geodon.  I am on Abilify as a mood stabilizer.  It is not usually used for such but it is really helpful for me.  Although it is costing me a fortune since I pay out of pocket.  

Please let us know how you are doing.

Jkm,

I am so very sorry to hear of all that you are going through.  I am amazed you don't have more than a pinced nerve.  A med cassette is a good idea.  I've used one to help me sleep for some time now and it really helps.  I still have to take drugs to sleep but I go to sleep sooner and seem to sleep deeper.  Xanax has always really helped me without making me sleepy if I take the right dose.  I truly hope the world will stop spinning for you soon and you'll see the next step you are to take!

Being on 90mgs. seems to have helped me get out of my depressed slump and taken away most of the fibro pain once again that I can get.  Everything is a positive at 90mgs.

:hearts:
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#4 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 10:34 AM

I've been on 60mg of cymbalta for almost 5 months.. lately I've been getting back kinda down even though it is helping still I know. So my doctor increased it to 120mg. I was wondering if any have experiences with such a higher dosage.
Corey, I"m 26 years old; Atlanta, GA now.. I'm happy :)

#5 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 08:06 PM

Hi Aber,

I was on 60 mg. since last Dec. (30 before that for 3 months) and now am on 90 mg.  I feel as though the 60 had given me the most it had.  It has only been two days so I don't feel any different yet.  I did this before in March (went up to 90 mgs) and had to come down to 60 again.  They added Abilify to my cocktail which really helped.  I am BPII so they have to try and keep be equalized :hearts:

Keep us informed of how you are doing.  Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

:Oo:
  • charlie84 likes this
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#6 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:14 AM

Did you get the same start up effects from the increase as you did when your first start?

#7 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 07:01 AM

Usually every time you increase an ad, you get the origional start up side-effects.  I know I didn't have any with cymbalta, how about you?
Posted Image

#8 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:51 PM

So far I haven't had any this is the second day of 120mg.

#9 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Hi,

I have a lot of anxiety with starting the 90mgs which I did not have when I went to 60mgs from 30mgs.  I have GAD too so it might be that the uplifting effect of Cymbalta causes GAD too.  I also seem to be more depressed than usual when I start a higher dose.  Does that happen to either of you?  These are the only side effects so far I am having but I will give it a couple of weeks to see what happens, maybe more.  They may have to increase my Abilify...which neither of you are on I don't think.

How are you two doing with your depression these days?
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#10 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 06:06 AM

I don't feel more depressed yet... I'm not on Abilify but I"m on Geodon, same class of antipsychotic drug

#11 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:48 AM

Jkm, I'm sorry you are going through a hard time. I know all about them my life is full of them, but everything gets okay eventually for a little bit. Hang in there.

Orion, I'm on Geodon because I hear and see things that aren't there and for dissociative disorder.

#12 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 06:10 PM

We got a voicemail that the bank is taking over Aug. 6, so I'll get out of there in one piece.  I'm loosing 50hrs of vacation as they don't have to pay it due to the fact that we're disolving.  

Since the place is dissolving, they don't have to offer us cobra.  If we show up next Monday, they'll give us hospital ins. for the month of Aug.  Parting gift?  No.  I'll have to pay $150.00 for it.

I applied for another job today in a hospital setting, as the job came up for bid, and it's what I want.  Wish me luck.  I think the job will be up for bid till the 6th of Aug.  Oh well, I'm trying.

I'll file for unemployment.  I need a rest.  I want to go to the medical doc and get some things checked out, too.   :)
Posted Image

#13 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 10:34 AM

Well, I got my bacation in time off, with ins to last through Aug.  I'm done with work and all my belonging are in two big boxes the in the back of the van.  I'm dealing with a pinched nerve in my back.  I'm not going to anything too physical and se if this thing quits hurting.  Something how stress comes out in your muscles and joints....     :hearts:

Ccorey, how is the increase coming.  I accidentally took two ccymbalta one day.  One in the am, and one in the pm when I thought I forgot, due to all the preoccupation of what's going on...  All I noticed was that I slept like a log that night.  I might have to get a med cassette if I don't get my mind calmed down.  I have some ativan, but all that does is put me in slow motion, and I don't need that all day.    ???
Posted Image

#14 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 06:15 AM

Geez, Orion!  Paying for an expensive med like Abilify has to be a drag.  Could you try to get in one of those med programs where the drug company pays for it?

I have lots of stressors, especially with the loss of my employment.  I'm waiting to hear about one resume I put in, and will send some more.  I just need a couple of weeks to unwind. I think the Nrurontin is making me tired.  Need to stop taking it for a couple of days and see if my energy perks up.
Posted Image

#15 pwrengr

pwrengr

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 April 2007 - 06:01 PM

Orion:
i am new to this forum & in fssct, i have never done something like this (online). With that said, i too suffer from BP & until recently, i have been hypomanic for a few years w/o knowing it - although everyone else brought it to my attention. Currently i am in the mist of the "otherside" in a major depression. i am having a lot of trouble getting motivated to the point where almost all i have been doing is getting out of my bed & hitting the couch. i have three businesses & i am in tremendous debt w/ all three & i MUST get back to work. My dr has recently adjusted me on the followig cocktail: (1) Cymbalta-60mg 2xDaily; (2) Lamictal-200mg 1xDaily; (3) Lyrica-100mg 2xDaily; (4) Abilify-25mg (i think) 1xDaily.
Last thursday my dr bumped up the Cymbalta from 60 to 120mg & added the abilify. It appears that you have been on similar meds & dosages. If so, how fast was your recovery? i need to & WAT to get on w/ a normal life! ~ PwrEngr

Hi Aber,

I was on 60 mg. since last Dec. (30 before that for 3 months) and now am on 90 mg.  I feel as though the 60 had given me the most it had.  It has only been two days so I don't feel any different yet.  I did this before in March (went up to 90 mgs) and had to come down to 60 again.  They added Abilify to my cocktail which really helped.  I am BPII so they have to try and keep be equalized :hearts:

Keep us informed of how you are doing.  Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.
:Oo:

Orion:
i am new to this forum & in fact, i have never done something like this (online). With that said, i too suffer from BP & until recently, i have been hypomanic for a few years w/o knowing it - although everyone else brought it to my attention. Currently i am in the mist of the "otherside" in a major depression. i am having a lot of trouble getting motivated to the point where almost all i have been doing is getting out of my bed & hitting the couch. i have three businesses & i am in tremendous debt w/ all three & i MUST get back to work. My dr has recently adjusted me on the followig cocktail: (1) Cymbalta-60mg 2xDaily; (2) Lamictal-200mg 1xDaily; (3) Lyrica-100mg 2xDaily; (4) Abilify-25mg (i think) 1xDaily.
Last thursday my dr bumped up the Cymbalta from 60 to 120mg & added the abilify. It appears that you have been on similar meds & dosages. If so, how fast was your recovery? i need to & WAT to get on w/ a normal life! ~ PwrEngr

#16 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 11:25 AM

pwrengr,

I don't know if orion comes on this site as this is a really old post that you replied to. I hope you keep us poster about how this regime goes for you.

Jackie
Posted Image

#17 Getting by

Getting by

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:09 PM

I've been on 60mg of cymbalta for almost 5 months.. lately I've been getting back kinda down even though it is helping still I know. So my doctor increased it to 120mg. I was wondering if any have experiences with such a higher dosage.

I have been on 120mg (up from 60mg) since Feb. '07. I too was wondering if there was anyone else out there taking that amount. The only side effect that really is hard for me to deal with is the sweats, which at times are down right awful. I do have waves of nausea from time to time that are hard to work with. I work in the busniess work and it is really hard in a meeting when you (for no reason) start to sweat and are so nauseated you are affraid to speak, but I am dealing with it. I am really concerned though about the reports of liver damage. Although I am not a drinker I still worry about the long term effects, but at this point have no choice (if I want to stay well) but to continue. I have been on every other type of anti-depressants known to man and they work for awhile and then stop. I also am taking ECT treatments once a month, so maybe this time it will work for us both :hearts: :bump: :shocked: . GOOD LUCK!!!

#18 khw

khw

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

I have been on 120mg (up from 60mg) since Feb. '07. I too was wondering if there was anyone else out there taking that amount. The only side effect that really is hard for me to deal with is the sweats, which at times are down right awful. I do have waves of nausea from time to time that are hard to work with. I work in the busniess work and it is really hard in a meeting when you (for no reason) start to sweat and are so nauseated you are affraid to speak, but I am dealing with it. I am really concerned though about the reports of liver damage. Although I am not a drinker I still worry about the long term effects, but at this point have no choice (if I want to stay well) but to continue. I have been on every other type of anti-depressants known to man and they work for awhile and then stop. I also am taking ECT treatments once a month, so maybe this time it will work for us both :hearts: :bump: :shocked: . GOOD LUCK!!!

I'm sorry, I don't have any insight for you because I am wondering the same thing. My Dr. increased my Cymbalta from 60mg to 120 mg. I, too, would like to know if anyone has experienced anything...be it good or bad...on this dosage. Any additional side effects? (besides the sweating, which someone did report already)

Thanks in advance for your help. I am a newbie...just registered today, in fact!

Kim

#19 sindeegirlpa

sindeegirlpa

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

I'm crawling through a refinance where every possible thing has gone wrong. The person who is doing our loan is a real goof and has messed up even the payoff checks to the creditors, so things still aren't paid off yet. :(

I'm going to loos my job due to the place where I work dissloving. I've worked there 27 years, and my motivation to go to work is siltch. Things have been cut to the qyick, and it's very stressful not knowing what the future holds. My health is not great. Can I rant any more?

Seriously, so far, so good. If not for meds, :flowers: It's just lots of stressful events at this point, but I'm going through the movements and trying to keep myself busy. I just can't seem to motivate to look for another job, though. I'm already overwhelmed, so I'm kind of waiting to see if I get laid off. I need a rest, but I don't think I'll be able to afford ERSIA or whatever it's called when you pay for benefits. Need to look into what I can get in benefits on the outside. I bet it will be over $400. for basic coverage with very high deductables.

I think I better get it in gear while I still have this job! :hearts:

#20 sindeegirlpa

sindeegirlpa

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

I'm crawling through a refinance where every possible thing has gone wrong. The person who is doing our loan is a real goof and has messed up even the payoff checks to the creditors, so things still aren't paid off yet. :(

I'm going to loos my job due to the place where I work dissloving. I've worked there 27 years, and my motivation to go to work is siltch. Things have been cut to the qyick, and it's very stressful not knowing what the future holds. My health is not great. Can I rant any more?

Seriously, so far, so good. If not for meds, :flowers: It's just lots of stressful events at this point, but I'm going through the movements and trying to keep myself busy. I just can't seem to motivate to look for another job, though. I'm already overwhelmed, so I'm kind of waiting to see if I get laid off. I need a rest, but I don't think I'll be able to afford ERSIA or whatever it's called when you pay for benefits. Need to look into what I can get in benefits on the outside. I bet it will be over $400. for basic coverage with very high deductables.

I think I better get it in gear while I still have this job! :hearts:

LOOK UP P.P.A., OR CALL 1 800 4PPA NOW. ITS BEEN STARTED BY MONTEL WILLIAMS FOR PEOPLE WITH OUT INSURANCE. ITS CALLED PARTNERSHIP FOR PRESCRIPTION ASSISTANCE... ITS A START ANYWAY AND WHO KNOWS ,THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO HELP... GOOD LUCK SINDEEGIRLPA

#21 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 07:34 PM

I think it's interesting that everyone's Dr.s' seem to bump them to 120 mg. instead of the medium step of going to 90 mg. and seeing if that works first. It's probably much cheaper to go to 120 mg. though. On my last visit, I had my Dr. write a script for a month of 60 mg. and a month of 30 mg. That is actually less expensive than buying 90-30 mg. capsules to get to 90 mgs. a day. At least with my insurance it is. What a mess.

JKM!! You just went back to your employer and they are dissolving!! I'm so sorry and I hope you get the hospital job you want. Keep us informed.

I guess you are looking forward to some time off though.

Sincerely,

Maddie
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 itselemental

itselemental

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

I too have been bumped up to 120mg two months ago. I went from 60mg to 120mg.
As far as side effects I seem to have many of them going from the list. :flowers:
Night sweats really badly, I often wake up just soaked thru. My husband thought I wet the bed one night. :hearts:
I have the dry mouth, trouble sleeping, tiredness, constipation, anxiety, blurred eyesight with my pupils really large (which then gives me headaches from any light), dizziness if I move too quickly...and If I am late taking my meds
I get really sick and dizzy with a ringing in my ears. Lovely medication. :hearts:
I'm currently seeing my normal GP, a Psychiatrist and attending CBT sessions.
I saw my Psych last week and he told me as long as I can tolerate the symptoms he wants me to stay on it.
Right now that's the only medication that i'm on. My lack of concentration is driving me insane! I have to leave notes
all over the house for myself just to remember to do things. I'm trying my best to overcome and fight this depression but, I often wonder if it's the medication that's now holding me back. :hearts:

#23 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:34 AM

itselemental,

It's not unusual to have side effects again when you increase your dosage. Again, that's why I expressed my surprise at Dr.'s jumping people up to twice the dosage instead of slowly taking them up to 120 mg. by a few weeks at 90 mg. I think the se's would be less and a person may find that 90 mg. is enough.

I hope these end soon and it sounds like you are taking all the right steps to feel better.

Sincerely,

Maddie
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 damonlabrador

damonlabrador

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

I went from 60 to 90 of cymbalta for about 3 months and really felt no difference. I just cut back to 60 in the morning. I take 200 Lamictal at night and 150 wellbutrin in the morning. Seems to work for me. There is a lot of information on this forum about Cymbalta. After reading up on the drug and wanting to take the least amount of meds to relieve my symptoms I think the decision to cut back to 60 was good for me. I am not convinced that doses over 60 are beneficial after reading on the cymbalta site that studies showed no advantages to doses over 60mg.

I say just try it and see what happens. You will know within a couple of months it the higher dose is helping you or not.
"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it." Anonymous
In loving memory of Damon Erik... 1978-1998

#25 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

I went from 60 to 90 of cymbalta for about 3 months and really felt no difference. I just cut back to 60 in the morning. I take 200 Lamictal at night and 150 wellbutrin in the morning. Seems to work for me. There is a lot of information on this forum about Cymbalta. After reading up on the drug and wanting to take the least amount of meds to relieve my symptoms I think the decision to cut back to 60 was good for me. I am not convinced that doses over 60 are beneficial after reading on the cymbalta site that studies showed no advantages to doses over 60mg.

I say just try it and see what happens. You will know within a couple of months it the higher dose is helping you or not.

I went from 60 to 90 and noticed a difference and felt much better. I think there are some others on the higher dosage as well, which is why I've always found the information on the Cymbalta web site about there being no proven benefit at doses over 60 mg. interesting.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

I went from 60 to 90 and noticed a difference and felt much better. I think there are some others on the higher dosage as well, which is why I've always found the information on the Cymbalta web site about there being no proven benefit at doses over 60 mg. interesting.

Interesting. My doctor has always told me that incremental steps don't make a difference. You have to double or nothing. Of course, I felt the difference between 100 and 150 mgs of WB, even though I was told I couldn't.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users