Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effexor vs Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Kaitrin

Kaitrin

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

For those of you who have taken both Effexor and Cymbalta at different times in your life, what are the similarities/differences? What kind of side effects? Did one work better or faster? I'm on Effexor, and I just wondered if maybe Cymbalta would be a better choice or if I should stick with what I know.
Thanks!
Kaitrin

#2 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:04 PM

Kaitrin:
I was on Effexor 225 mg. for a couple of years and at that dosage found it helpful, but sexual side effects among other things bothered me.  I went to Lexapro from there and was not happy with the memory problems that I experienced. I have now been on Cymbalta for 3-4 months - 60 mg day and have found my memory much better, not sure about the sexual side effects as my marriage is not intimate at this point
All and all I have found that I like the cymbalta better, this is for me, you may have different results.  good luck
Fred

#3 bushleaguer

bushleaguer

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 01:21 PM

From what I've read, Lexapro is an SSRI, whereas Cymbalta is an SSNRI - so I don't think they are closely related except for the fact that they both inhibit seratonin reuptake.

I wish I could help, but I've been on neither drug. From what I have read about them, however, I've learned that Effexor initially targets seratonin....and then norepinephrine at higher doses. So to get the dual reuptake benefit, one has to get up to a certain dose. Cymbalta, on the other hand, will target both right away. At least that's what I've read.

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:37 AM

If anyone has been on these meds, how about helping this lady out!

I'm sorry that you are not getting a response, but this med is so new, that not many people have tried it.  I was on Lexapro, which is a spin off of Effexor for 15mo.  If I get stressed out and anxious, the effects are the same.  I clench my teeth, and my neck muscles get real tight.  It's a little constipating, too, so you have to watch your diet.  Headaches from tension still break through, too.  Otherwise, It's a good med, but not if you are looking for something great to happen.  No anxiety attacks, but breakthrough symptoms that you have to work to get relief from, all the same.

I hope that someone who has been of Effexor will post back.  I'll try to go down to the room and see if I can get a response, there.  Good Luck!
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, Sumatra!     :hearts:
Posted Image

#6 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 06:50 AM

Kaitrin,  Look on Pg. 2 of the cymbalta page for info posted by Sumatra.
Posted Image

#7 Sumatra

Sumatra

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 04:19 PM

Oh, well here I am.  I  was in a research study testing Effexor before it went on the market.  It made me so hostile that I decided not to continue with it.  However, I've had no major problems with Cymbalta.  I asked my doctor about the two meds, if one was better.  He likes Cymbalta better.  He says that there are usually few side effects and it's easier to get off of than Effexor is.

Hope that helps.

#8 sadone

sadone

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:46 AM

I have been on both and I am not sure I can tell a difference....yet.
Only been on Cymbalta for about 2-3 weeks and was on Effexor XR 150 mg for years and years and started to poop out.

#9 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:02 PM

Effexor helped me only minimally, but the Cymbalta seems to be making a positive difference.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#10 tomcatt

tomcatt

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:01 AM

I have been on Cymbalta for 4 weeks now @ 60mg/day. I came off Effexor XR @ 375mg/day.
I think it's starting to have some positive effects. I've had no side effects, but then I really never have any side effects from any medication.
I can't accurately talk about any sleep problems because I also take 75/mg of Remeron/Mirtazapine each night.
I can say that during the 4 1/2 years I've been suffering with this D word NOTHING has ever worked as fast and as long and as well as when I finally got on Effexor XR. My Psych put me on Effexor and within 3 days it was like I was a whole new person - and it worked for 14 months...then poof! And now it's been 10 months again in this hole so I'm really hoping the Cymbalta comes around for me.
Hope this helped.

#11 eterea

eterea

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

i went up to 150 mg on effexor...and started at 75...and it worked GREAT at first....side effects...but stuff i could deal with. then it 'pooped out' and upping the dosage did not work. and i was getting sexual side effects.

now i am weaning off the effexor and i'm currently on 60 mg of cymbalta. so...probably too 'soon' to tell as i've only been on the cymbalta for 2 weeks.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 frosk

frosk

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:13 PM

I was on Cymbalta 60mg in the morning and 30 in the afternoon added to my Paxil and Klonopin. When I started the Cymbalta I started to feel pretty good. A month ago I decided to try all new meds so I weaned myself off the Cymbalta with Doc supervision and had no problems( just numb feeling in the lips) and I am very very sensitive to meds. Now I am on Paxil, Tanxene and Wellbutrin, but I dont think the Wellbutrin is working as I am extremely depressed so I think I might go back to the Cymbalta.

#13 lizard

lizard

• Platinum Member
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 08:45 PM

Sounds like a good plan, if it was working well for you before.
Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is that little voice at the end of the day that says: "I'll try again tomorrow."
Anne Hunninghake

Posted Image

hotlines

#14 Someone

Someone

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:13 PM

Venlafaxine was my first experience of the two. My dosage reached 525mg/day at one point, though my final dosage was 375mg. The effect it had was everything I could wish for from an AD, my mood was back to "normal", & I had increased energy (probably due to venlafaxines similarity with MDMA). The problem came when I forgot to take it before going out one day. I'd had the beginnings of the experience before, "brain shivvers" when I was late taking it. It was not unlike LSD, but stronger.

I took duloxetine more recently, & the only efffects I had were adverse. Mainly nausia. When my psychiatrist asked me what the effects were he immitated what he expected me to say: "Duloxetine are the sucks, venlafaxine rules!" :hearts:

Venlafaxine wins hands down with me, aside from pronounced tachycardia (which I got with duloxetine as well, though not as pronounced).

#15 letthesunshinein

letthesunshinein

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 01:24 AM

For those of you who have taken both Effexor and Cymbalta at different times in your life, what are the similarities/differences? What kind of side effects? Did one work better or faster? I'm on Effexor, and I just wondered if maybe Cymbalta would be a better choice or if I should stick with what I know.
Thanks!
Kaitrin

I see I'm about 3 years too late to respond to this post. But I'll do so in case anyone else has this same question.
I recently tried Cymbalta for depression and it was just awful for me.
Everyone is different, so we know what works well for some can be terrible for someone else.
I have been on nearly all the SSRI's, and other anti-depressants such as Remeron (bad; hallucinating type nightmares), the Trycyclics (good for pain: back, migraines but couldn't reach a dose that helped depression; caused increased tiredness). While on the SSRI's I went from docile to agitated, had an increase in bruxism, woke up with my jaw clenched in an almost locked state every morning, pain in jaw, increase in headaches/migraine, and insomnia/vivid nightmares, yawning, more sleepiness during the day--yet anxiety/panic ridden, etc. just to name a few! However, I stuck it out with Prozac and it helped my depression but all those side effects, coupled with about an hour of pain in the chest (heartburn from capsules?) after taking my dose is what caused me to stop it. Then came what I hoped to be the answer: CYMBALTA. This was the worst anti-depressant in it's own way. I was on it for two weeks. I felt like a complete ZOMBIE. Am always sleepy to begin with during the day, but this made me even worse than I was already. My awful depression became even more severe. I was completely bedridden and was going on a downward spiral. I stopped after 2 weeks, realizing this was a long enough trial to decide it wasn't for me. Next came Wellbutrin, which gave me sores in the mouth and exasperated the head/nerve pain on one side; mysteriously, the sores on my tongue were also located on the same side of my worst headaches. Stopped it. Decided to try Cymbalta on last time, again, same experience after a week and a half; discontinued and will never try it again. Finally, I was given Effexor XR 37.5. I have been on it only a week...so far so good. Perhaps a little touch of insomnia when trying to fall asleep but no agitation, no zombie state, lock-jaw, none of that. My depression is still there, daytime need to sleep still there but no horrendous side effects thus far; seems dose may need to be up-ed but again, i'm just in the beginning stages. It's difficult to believe this is related at all to Cymbalta. I've met a few people who are on Cymbalta who swear by it-- we are all so different. Will report on Effexor XR after being on it a little longer. Best Wishes. :hearts:

#16 Calliope

Calliope

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

Thanks!
Kaitrin

Kaitrin,
I prefer the Cymbalta over Effexor, but everyone is different. With Effexor, I was tired all the time, hungry all the time, and lost my libido. I felt more "normal" on the Cymbalta and it helped me sleep, which is a huge problem I have always had. How long have you taken the Effexor?
Calliope

#17 Anonymoose

Anonymoose

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:58 PM

I've taken Effexor XR and Cymbalta and can add some information based on my own experience. I preferred Effexor and discontinued use because my blood pressure became elevated. Cymbalta stopped working after about a year and a half so I discontinued it as well. I found both to be mildly energizing and somewhat effective on symptoms of depression and PTSD but overall I greatly preffered Effexor XR over Cymbalta.

#18 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 02:18 PM

Old topic, but new results (maybe). I've been taking 30mg of Cymbalta for about 3 weeks now, as I wean myself down from 262.5 mg effexor xr. I'm now at about 187.5 Effexor, and waiting to get down to 150 mg before I can up my Cymbalta to 60mg.

I'd say I'm feeling the effects of less antidepressants, lower energy, a little sadder (not major like I would be without anything). One thing I have noticed is an increased sex drive. I'm not sure if it is still early days to report on this, but my decreased libido 12 years ago when I first went on Effexor was really serious. I went off for 2 years and tried everything else on the market to find an antidepressant that would work. Effexor was the best. Went back on it, and until a few years ago, felt great, except for the "no sex drive" which led to no sex.

In the last few years I've noticed Effexor being less effective as an antidepressant, and had mentioned early macular degeneration and osteoarthritis to my doctors (G.P., psychiatrist and naturopathic doctor). My self-diagnosis is that it was taxing my liver, exacerbating the above degeneration, possibly because of a shortage in fluids? I drink copious amounts of water and always have. I keep looking for medical or otherwise evidence that Cymbalta will be less of a strain on my liver and sex life. Anyone else currently going through this switch, or have done in the past, with similar results?

#19 justanothermember

justanothermember

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:01 AM

Glad this topic got restarted.

I have taken Effexor at different times over the years while trying to find the right AD, which I still have not. Currently, I am on Cymbalta 90 mg, having come off of Effexor 225 mg several months ago. For the mood, Cymbalta is better though it slows me down and makes me takes naps during the day. But the WORST thing is the weight gain. I have NEVER gained weight on an AD, have always had a flat stomach, etc., and now I have a tire around my middle and went from 134 to 154 lbs. I can live with almost any side effect but that so am going back to Effexor in a couple of days for one last time. For the mood, Effexor is not as good and I have some irritability but it is more energizing so no naps and no weight gain.

Cymbalta - Better for mood - horrible for weight gain. But after gaining that much weight your mood is rotten anyway so the benefit is negated by the side effect.
Effexor - Worse for mood - no side effects.

It's all about what you are willing to live with.

P.S. Since I have been on almost everything I do have refractory depression and the very next step, if, (or should I say when), the Effexor stops working I am being put on thyroid replacement (even though my levels are normal). That should be interesting. But it is a very common treatment for refractory depression so we shall see. If that doesn't work stimulant meds will be considered but only as a last resort.

P.S.S. I am in psychotherapy also, so all my medications really do is get me through that and keep me from breaking down completely (most of the time).

#20 Joyce

Joyce

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 03:09 PM

Glad this topic got restarted.

I have taken Effexor at different times over the years while trying to find the right AD, which I still have not. Currently, I am on Cymbalta 90 mg, having come off of Effexor 225 mg several months ago. For the mood, Cymbalta is better though it slows me down and makes me takes naps during the day. But the WORST thing is the weight gain. I have NEVER gained weight on an AD, have always had a flat stomach, etc., and now I have a tire around my middle and went from 134 to 154 lbs. I can live with almost any side effect but that so am going back to Effexor in a couple of days for one last time. For the mood, Effexor is not as good and I have some irritability but it is more energizing so no naps and no weight gain.

Cymbalta - Better for mood - horrible for weight gain. But after gaining that much weight your mood is rotten anyway so the benefit is negated by the side effect.
Effexor - Worse for mood - no side effects.

It's all about what you are willing to live with.

P.S. Since I have been on almost everything I do have refractory depression and the very next step, if, (or should I say when), the Effexor stops working I am being put on thyroid replacement (even though my levels are normal). That should be interesting. But it is a very common treatment for refractory depression so we shall see. If that doesn't work stimulant meds will be considered but only as a last resort.

P.S.S. I am in psychotherapy also, so all my medications really do is get me through that and keep me from breaking down completely (most of the time).

My previous doc suggested to me to try Cymbalta. It has been approved recently here in Canada.

As far as weight gain. I was also thin and gained 30 pounds with Effexor!!!!

Thing is with these meds we tend to eat more and do less. At least for me. I do work but at night I dont do much and I tend to have the muchies. :hearts:

As for the sex drive well its a flat liner in that area so I dont mind much :flowers:

I might try Cymbalta as the Effexor is not quite doing the job. Better than any others I tried so far but not as well as I would like. So I might go for it and see. Worst of worst I'll go back on Effexor.
Posted Image

#21 Sammybingo

Sammybingo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

Meep! Glad to see this topic. My doc has suggested I try Cymbalta when I finally get off the Venla. I have spent three months having my dose of Venla, a few more months and I can try Cymbalta. I was hoping this topic would be full of "ZOMG IT MOVE TO CYBALTA AND NOW MY LIFE IS MADE OF GOLD" but as with any drug I guess it's different for us all.

I seem to have adverse effects from having more noradrenaline in my system, and Cymbalta affects this less than the venla, so hopefully it will work out. Eventually :)

Has anyone else moved from Venla to Cym due to the nightmares / sweats / everything else that can go wrong with venla?! How did that work out?

#22 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:30 PM

Cymbalta is better though it slows me down and makes me takes naps during the day. But the WORST thing is the weight gain. I have NEVER gained weight on an AD, have always had a flat stomach, etc., and now I have a tire around my middle and went from 134 to 154 lbs.

Just thought I'd check in on this thread which I picked up a while ago. I've now been on the Cymbalta for approaching 3 months, and am up to 60mg, down to 150mg Effexor. In fact I had reduced to 107.5, and my shrink suggested I go back up to 150 and stay at 60mg cymbalta, as my depression and coping skills seem like they're being taxed right now. I must also say I just weighed myself this week and totally freaked out as I am now up to 165lbs, a good 10 lbs more than before I started the cymbalta. I feel very mellow on Cymbalta, more sensitive, dreamy, forget words, just want to read, sleep, and have noticed increased libido, but my husband long ago wrote me off, so I'll have to do something drastic to draw his attention to it :hearts: . If I can find the energy.

I do work but at night I dont do much and I tend to have the muchies. :hearts:

This is interesting to me, as I work different shifts. The time I have the most difficulty is when I come home from "evenings", ie 11pm, and everyone else is ready for bed. I sit in the kitchen and snack. I'm tired, but still wired from work, so can't sleep! So I guess my point is that no work, or after work, kitchen is the worst place to be in the evening! This is such a challenge for me.

As for the sex drive well its a flat liner in that area so I dont mind much :flowers:

Yeah, funny isn't it, how the low sex drive isn't a problem if you're the one who has it? :hearts: Our poor partners though.

I think the low energy is the biggest complaint I have with Cymbalta. Weight gain simply can't continue, so I don't know what I"ll do. I know I lost weight on Effexor, because I felt so great so quickly on it. Lots of energy, creative drive, but a "hardening" of my attitude. Less sympathy, sensitivity. I'm glad to have that back, but along with more body weight, tiredness and lethargy, I'm more weepy, and do find I lose words lately. Would love to hear how others are doing with cymbalta. Any long-termers?

#23 idleinn

idleinn

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:06 AM

I went from 3 years on Effexor at 575 mgs and 1000 mgs of lithium now 4 months on cymbalta 120 mgs lamoctrogine 100 mgs and zyprexa 2.5 mgs the change has helped a fair bit with anxiety but like a lot of people i cant stop eating ,not good im my case .
Found it helped within 3 days but i reckon the worst side effects have to be a low sex drive and lack of sleep.
I am also having problems with headaches but i am not sure if its the meds or issues from broken back.
Everyones different. All the best...........

#24 forrie

forrie

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

Chiming in here, too.

Over the years, my docs have placed me on nearly every med in the book; I generally don't respond well to most, having weird side effects (some not even documented). That said, it's been many years since I've tried them.

I recall having some good luck with Effexor for a short time, but the sexual side effects were too much; so I went off. My doc recently gave me some samples of Cymbalta to try for 3 weeks, and they're sitting on the shelf while I figure it out. I generally like to get good information about a drug before I take it, even though I fully realize everyone's experience may be vastly different.

I've had issues with sleep problems over the years, more anxiety related; when I'm calm, no problem - I have a CPAP, too. When I read about insomnia with Cymbalta, that was a red flag. And though I feel silly admitting it, a big show-stopper for me is sexual side effects (I'm male, and I don't need to elaborate on those side effects, they're on the label ;-)). That is a bigger show stopper for me.

My doc wants me to try the lowest dose (30mg) - my depression/anxiety is more generalized and not severe. I probably just need a boost so I'm not feeling so withdrawn all the time; however, as a previous posting here mentioned, if it creates more problems (ie: weight gain, sexual effects) then my opinion is that it's not a good solution for me.

Even with 10mg of Lexapro, I had sexual side effects. Though I realize it's a different drug and perhaps sometimes the side effects can go away with time. Cymbalta is an unknown to me.

That said, I'm wondering what people's experience has been with Cymbalta with sleep, sexual side effects, etc., at or near the dose my doc suggests.

I'm always open to input, feedback and suggestions.

Thanks!

Edited by forrie, 21 October 2008 - 03:33 PM.

#25 idleinn

idleinn

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:49 AM

I ALSO FORGOT TO MENTION HEADACHES.......UNREAL COULD DO WITHOUT THEM. THE ONLY BIG THINGS I NOTICED WAS GOING FROM EFFEXOR 575 MGS TO CYMBALTA WHILE IT WAS WORKING IT TOOK AWAY MY CRAVING FOR FOOD WHICH IS A PLESANT OUTCOME FOR ME.THEN COMES ALONG ZYPREXA AND TALK ABOUT EAT, I COULD EAT A HORSE AND CHASE THE RIDER NOT THAT I COULD CATCH HER, TOOOOOO....HEAVY.

TIME FOR A SNACK.......

#26 Kandy

Kandy

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Thanks!
Kaitrin

Hi Kaitrin...I took 150mg of Effexor for about 6 months and I felt great, so great in fact that I decided I didn't need medication anymore and went off of it. I had some withdrawal issues, nothing I couldn't deal with...but after about a month of being off of the med I felt my depression symptoms come back with a vengance. I talked to my dr. and she put me on Cymbalta. I gave it about a month to kick in but it was like taking nothing at all. I got no relief from my symptoms and ended up going back on the Effexor. I just started taking it again today. I didn't have any side effects at all on the Cymbalta, but I also didn't get any benefit either.

#27 iamhere

iamhere

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:37 AM

I have never been on Effexor, but was thinking of talking to my pdoc about going on it. I have been on Cymbalta for about 10 months. I am also on 300mg wellbutrin xl. I don't know if the cymbalta has helped. There have been times I've felt absolutely amazing, but overall I've felt more down and relaxed at the same time. The sexual side effects stink. Also, I have definately had slowed down cognitively, in my mind. It takes me longer to respond to things, can't think of responses sometimes. But I'm not sure if that's due to the cymbalta or to the neurontin I am on for nerve pain also.

#28 funkspiel

funkspiel

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

Recently switched from 300 venlafaxine to 90 Cymbalta.

They are generally doing the same things, but I think the change was good.

#29 crazydiamond13

crazydiamond13

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 11:24 PM

Hi all this is my first post. Just wanted to let everyone know my experience with Effexor and Cymbalta. I was on Effexor for 10 years, with mostly good results, highest dose was 375mg, typical side effects, shocks, brain zaps, if I missed a dose or took it late. I learned to live with those due to the fact other meds I had tried didn't seem to work as well. fast forward to 2 months ago, I really felt I wasn't getting any effect from Effexor anymore, Dr. upped my dose to no avail, ended up in the psych ward and am now on 60mg in am, 60mg in pm of Cymbalta. I honestly cannot feel any result or side effect from Cymbalta due to the horrid withdrawl from Effexor. Other than opiate withdrawal Effexor withdrawl is the worst I have ever felt physically; which doesn't help mentally. I am hopeful for Cymbalta to give me some relief, but I am still struggling with the withdrawl from Effexor so it might be a while yet.

#30 adunit

adunit

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi all this is my first post. Just wanted to let everyone know my experience with Effexor and Cymbalta. I was on Effexor for 10 years, with mostly good results, highest dose was 375mg, typical side effects, shocks, brain zaps, if I missed a dose or took it late. I learned to live with those due to the fact other meds I had tried didn't seem to work as well. fast forward to 2 months ago, I really felt I wasn't getting any effect from Effexor anymore, Dr. upped my dose to no avail, ended up in the psych ward and am now on 60mg in am, 60mg in pm of Cymbalta. I honestly cannot feel any result or side effect from Cymbalta due to the horrid withdrawl from Effexor. Other than opiate withdrawal Effexor withdrawl is the worst I have ever felt physically; which doesn't help mentally. I am hopeful for Cymbalta to give me some relief, but I am still struggling with the withdrawl from Effexor so it might be a while yet.

Hi there
I would love to know if your story is similar to mine. I need reassurance that thers have beaten this.
I'm very confused on what is hapening to me as I'm switching from effexor xr to cym.
Effexor was working well except the lack of labido, constant tiredness, weight gain and I had heard from a few friends how great cym was in these side effects.
Anyway i talked to my pysc about it and we decided to switch. He admitted he didn't know much about cym as its new to canada, but felt from what he read and heard that the switch would be easy and that the 2 drugs are so closely related that I should be able to go cold turkey on effexor while starting cym
Needless to say this is week 4 and I'm so confused with all the side effects and symptoms I do not know what to do or where to go. Sleepiness is worse, thel adido died and is buried, the concentration is terrible, I feel drugged out to the point of feeling like a zombie, I get brainfog, absent minded, lethargic, mild depression and withdrawal. It has gotten much worde in the last week.
I went to my MD on Friday and hesaid keep with it as there is too much going on to try and pin point exactly what is happening - cym effects, eff withdrawals or both.
I keep using my favorite passage - "this too shall pass", but it getting difficult.
So I'm terribly confused on what to do and come seeking advice. Do I keep slugging away hoping the 2 drugs will wean out or drop cym and go back to eff.
I came off eff before and it was a Biotch. But I felt so wonderful off it until the depression returned. They also say cym is easier to wean off.
I can handle the side effects but its the withdrawl that is bothering me the most. I have come so far in that area its a real bother feeling me pull away again. I skipped my staff party last night because of it - grrr.

#31 AntipodeanCharm

AntipodeanCharm

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:06 PM

Hi there
I would love to know if your story is similar to mine. I need reassurance that thers have beaten this.
I'm very confused on what is hapening to me as I'm switching from effexor xr to cym.
Effexor was working well except the lack of labido, constant tiredness, weight gain and I had heard from a few friends how great cym was in these side effects.
Anyway i talked to my pysc about it and we decided to switch. He admitted he didn't know much about cym as its new to canada, but felt from what he read and heard that the switch would be easy and that the 2 drugs are so closely related that I should be able to go cold turkey on effexor while starting cym
Needless to say this is week 4 and I'm so confused with all the side effects and symptoms I do not know what to do or where to go. Sleepiness is worse, thel adido died and is buried, the concentration is terrible, I feel drugged out to the point of feeling like a zombie, I get brainfog, absent minded, lethargic, mild depression and withdrawal. It has gotten much worde in the last week.
I went to my MD on Friday and hesaid keep with it as there is too much going on to try and pin point exactly what is happening - cym effects, eff withdrawals or both.
I keep using my favorite passage - "this too shall pass", but it getting difficult.
So I'm terribly confused on what to do and come seeking advice. Do I keep slugging away hoping the 2 drugs will wean out or drop cym and go back to eff.
I came off eff before and it was a Biotch. But I felt so wonderful off it until the depression returned. They also say cym is easier to wean off.
I can handle the side effects but its the withdrawl that is bothering me the most. I have come so far in that area its a real bother feeling me pull away again. I skipped my staff party last night because of it - grrr.

I went on Effexor because after a year, Zoloft had made me into a zombie. I was on EffexorXR (75 mg) for a year and then 150 mg VenlafaxineXR for 15 months. (I found out recently: My p-doc (a phamaco-psychiatrist) says that the generic V doesn't work as an antidepressant due to the XR not XRing properly) and put me on Cymbalta, which I have been on for 7 weeks. Venlafaxine made me gain 30 lbs, and paralyzed me - my "get up and go" got up and went. I slept 18 hr a day if I could. The good side effect was that I never felt cold, and my hay fever stopped (go figure), and I never gave a s**t about anything - good or bad.

I went from the 150 mg V to 60 mg Cymbalta cold turkey. The p-doc said that I would "feel like crap for a few days but it was better than feeling like crap tapering off". I was wise and did it on a Friday which I took off work. That day, I was dizzy and nauseous and slept because standing made me want to barf. That was pretty much my weekend.

Side effects from withdrawing from V: I ended up with a headache and dizziness for 4 weeks - which I was blaming on Cymbalta but the doc told me to persevere - that it was the V withdrawal. Only one brain zap the whole time (yay!!!). Sleepiness, sleepiness, sleepiness. No libido - which was not really an issue on Zoloft (actually the opposite happened), nor on V - just when withdrawing. Listlessness was really bad for 4-5 weeks.

At 7 weeks off V and on Cymbalta: The headache has gone. The symptoms of withdrawal from V were so severe that I don't feel anything physiological from Cymbalta except that for 7 weeks I could not wake up in the morning. That still happens - but as soon as somebody engages me (talks to me, gives me a task to do, makes an appointment), I wake up and function. I have just shifted to taking my Cymbalta at 6 pm (usually 8 am) to see if it will make me more alert in the mornings because I actually want to get out of bed - I just cannot.

Psychological effects from being on Cymbalta after 7 weeks? I feel unzombie-like. I actually am doing things around the house again, cooking with flair, playing my guitar. I am happier - and have some energy. And a libido.

I'd never recommend Venlafaxine to anybody given my experience.

AC

#32 ScottiD

ScottiD

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

Hi there

Hi I have been on effexor for 10 years and recently switched to cymbalta after 3 weeks tiredness creeped in dosgage upped to 90mg with past 3 weeks and now suffering very low mood and sadness crying etc. Also on Dex for ADD and wellbutrin. I am going to ask to be put back on effexor as I was more stable with it than this drug. Getting very frustrated with low feelings and am usually positive but recently I am becoming very fatalistic and withdrawn to the point where i am getting a little scared.

#33 Melissambrooks

Melissambrooks

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

Thanks!
Kaitrin

Well, I see I'm late too, but it looks like the question still presents and I'm glad others are still posting. I have tried both
Effexor XR and Cymbalta. First, Effexor XR proved to have awesome results, x for low libido. Thought I was good so I stopped and went down hill. MS started me on Cymbalta and I must say I don't feel good yet. Tired, slow, a little depressed still. The withdrawl or s/e of coming off Effexor SUCK! If it gonna do it, taper while building up on Cymbalta.

#34 momfirst

momfirst

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:27 PM

I have been on 60 mg cymbalta for well over a year.

NO SIDE EFFECTS !

NO WEIGHT GAIN !

NO SLEEPINESS !

Went on due to anxiety/seasonal depression. Weaned very very slowly off zoloft 200mg and very slowly up to 60 mg of Cymbalta. No transition off or on either.

Must wean on and off meds slowly, I took almost month to do mine with dr writing down what to take each day.

This winter when depression kicked in again. Seasonal. Had to add .25 of Xanax to get me back up again. Been on the cym and xanax combined and no side effects.

#35 ScottiD

ScottiD

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 10:36 PM

I have been on 60 mg cymbalta for well over a year.

NO SIDE EFFECTS !

NO WEIGHT GAIN !

NO SLEEPINESS !

Went on due to anxiety/seasonal depression. Weaned very very slowly off zoloft 200mg and very slowly up to 60 mg of Cymbalta. No transition off or on either.

Must wean on and off meds slowly, I took almost month to do mine with dr writing down what to take each day.

This winter when depression kicked in again. Seasonal. Had to add .25 of Xanax to get me back up again. Been on the cym and xanax combined and no side effects.

Hi I have to get off cymbalta i am getting mood swings more thank a monkey losing a banana. Was on Effexor for ten years and now cymbalta 60mg was at 90mg, Also dex at 20mg 3 x per day and wellbutrin. Dex is great for my ADD and keeping me focused but for some reason usually at the end of the day I emotionaly become a trainwreck. I think I will ask my pdoc to get me on different med or med because this is getting me really low. Also looking at getting a brain SPECT done to rule out any other issues. I Have had enough of this. Just my two penneth.

#36 bbg

bbg

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

Thanks!
Kaitrin

I have been on Effexor for year with great success. It keeps the edge off. A doctor put me on cymbalta to help with neck pain. So I had to come off the Effexor. I am calling the doctor Monday. I will go back on Effexor. The cymbalta does nothing for me. And I was taking better medicine for pain. It is just different for everyone.
bbg

#37 Loopylou

Loopylou

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:08 AM

I used to take Effexor for years but the head shocks got so bad I had to stop taking them and have tried numerous others since then. Cymbalta is the best I have ever had!
  • chelle50 likes this
Started Cymbalta 60mg 02.02.09 ...
Feeling great on the Cymbalta! ...
Coming off Cymbalta - December 2009 40mg ...
30mg - January 2010 - Feeling Fine ...
20mg - February 2010 - WITHDRAWLS!! ARRGGHHHHH!!!

#38 princess_bluey

princess_bluey

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Thanks!
Kaitrin

Hi, I've been on Effexor 150mg for approx 6 years & found that it was OK most of the time, though I still wasn't functioning normally. If I missed a dose I would get head spins really bad, even if it was only 4 hours late. Things got a bit rough at the start of the year & I tried to harm myself & my meds didn't seem to be working. I had severe debilitating symptoms of fibromyalgia & couldnt relax or sleep because of the pain. My Dr. started my on Cymbalta at my request a bit over 3 weeks ago & I am now weaning off Effexor. After 2 weeks there's been a noticeable decrease in my pain level plus a noticeable improvement in my mood, irritablity, anger & insomnia. I havent been on it to notice too much else, other than I can now actually ENJOY a beautiful sunrise, a fragrant flower or the bright blue sky & I find I'm laughing a bit more at stuff that should be funny.

My Councellor has also started me on an amino acid (protein) Tyrosine 1 teaspoon 4 x a day taken 1/2 an hour before meals. Plus supplements of Zinc 200 mg x 1 per day, B6 200 mg x 1 per day, Folic Acid 500 mcg x 1 per day, B12 1000mcg x 1 per day, for sugar cravings Bio-Chromium, for liver Livertone Plus

I have also started on an anti-inflammatory diet with lots of fish high in Omega 6 essential fatty acids with lots of fresh vegetables & fruit. My Dr. told me bluntly that I need to take better care of myself & to get better control of my blood sugar levels, cholesterol & C-reactive protein.

#39 winning

winning

• Awaiting Authorisation
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Thanks!
Kaitrin

This reply is several years too late. But for newbies out there who want to know… I have been on Effexor for a year and starting today was told by my doctor to switech to Cymbalta. I honestly never believed that the Effexor worked. I too it in combination with other drugs (for depression) and finally, a little over a month ago, I had a GREAT breakthrough with mirtazapine and the said effexor, combined. However, the effect only lasted 2 weeks and since then, little by lilttle, the combo stopped working and I am back to having the major major blues, with severe muscle pain everyday, and the inability to sleep (which initially disappeared with mirtazapine + effexor). Anyway.. today, my doctor told me to switch to Cymbalta and continue the mirtazapine and drop the Effexor. Again, I really don't think the Effexor had any effect on me the whole year. For awhile I was taking only it, with sleeping pills in the evening (imovane or stilnox), and I think the only reason I lasted all year without going deeper into depression was due to the sleeping pills. So I'm off it starting tomorrow morning and I'm hoping that Cymbalta and Mirtazapine will have a longer lasting effect of feeling GREAT (i.e. sleep 8 hours a night, work during the day, motivated, focused, and most of all, not sad and no blues, not even an inkling but just feeling WELL in general). 

• chelle50 likes this

:hearts: winning! :flirt:

#40 chelle50

chelle50

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:28 AM

Effexor 150 worked well for me but it caused weight gain and high blood pressure which I never had. I am now on Cymbalta 60 mgs and I have lost 8 lbs in 4 weeks and my blood pressure is down, It has also helped with my arthritis aches and pains ( I am 52) and I don't feel so heavily medicated. It has taken away my anxiety and depression, and I can still feel emotions. Effexor is an awesome medication as well but the high blood pressure it caused wasn't worth it. I did not want to take blood pressure medication due to a side effect of effexor. My doctor said Cymbalta is a better choice for me and it is now available in generic form.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users