Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta II

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 Hope

Hope

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:21 PM

Hey everyone.  Still on 60mgs.  Still struggling, but can function most days.  Just so blah.  About 15 days out of the month the depression is really bad.  You know the kind where you just want to be admitted in the hospital and not do anything.  But we tried added trileptal and it didn't seem to work.  Plus it was making me extremly tired and I am getting some bad headaches.  So still might try to add depokate or something like that to see if I am bipolar maybe.  I already tried lamictal, respidal, and topomax.  NO success.  I think I have one of those treatment resistent depressions.  A few more meds then I am off to Cleveland clinic for ECT.

JKM I havent been on in a while, our computer crashed.  But wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and hope things get better soon for you.

Hope

Someday I will be able to live life again.  Hope is the only thing I have left.

#42 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:54 PM

That's nice.  It's good to hear form you.  Sorry you're having problems with finding meds.  I'd look into the bipolar stuff, too.  Maybe that's the problem.  

My liver panel came back good.  Yippee!
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#43 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 10:30 PM

Hi Cymbalta gang.  I hope you don't mind me continuing to post, since I had to discontinue Cymbalta.  Remember, I did start this topic.   :;):

I am stable without any meds right now, but certainly not well.  This is very strange.  If you ever discontinue Cymbalta, do it slow.  I took 4 weeks to get off of it, and I did not crash and burn with this schedule.  I am still not too depressed, but the anxiety and irritability symptoms are over the top.

JKM - Glad your blood tests came out okay.  It is better to be safe than sorry and the liver test is pretty cheap. I am happy for you to be getting some relief with this med.

Hope -  I think there might be something in the water in NE Ohio, or Bipolar (BP) is the only thing the docs around here know what to try when all else fails.  My docs in Cleveland also want me to try the BP meds.  They want me to try Lamictal.  The problem is I already have a rash and the Lamictal deadly rash thing scares me and my docs.   My doc at the Cleveland Clinic is the shock doc.  He is very nice, and if I had to do ECT, he would be my 1st choice.  As for me, I am no longer a good candidate for ECT, because I am no longer severely depressed (courtesy of Cymbalta).   I guess they would bring up ECT again; if/when I got real bad again.  I don't even want to think about that again.

I saw a special on CNN about ECT.  I was amazed to hear that more people have ECT per year, than get their appendix out.  I hope the transdermal MAOI (Emsam) comes out soon.  I am scared of the other MAOI's, but would be willing to try the transdermal one without the dietary restrictions.

#44 Hope

Hope

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:38 PM

I heard that lamictal is suppose to do wonders expsecially if you have more of the depressed stage of bipolar.  But for me it made me more depressed.  I actually almost had to stay in the hospital.  But luckily I didn't have too.  I was on it for 9 days and it took about 15 for me to function again.  I quess I am just a strange one when it comes to these meds.  I think I may try adding depokate with the cymbalta to see if that works.  But this week I am going in to have my liver panel checked.  Just to be safe.  

For ect I know that I am not a good candidate as well but after all of the meds and three years having a hard time, it may be time.  My brother in law works for the pychiatric unit in cleveland clinic and he talks highly of ect.  Remission like you said a lot of docs will start trying the bp meds if all else fails .  I just wish I could get a break.

Hope

#45 Hope

Hope

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 07:41 PM

Just wanted to add that I think I am just afraid to find out that I am bipolar.  And then the anxiety kicks in.  YOu know like what if I am never myself again, or I never find meds that work.  Okay I am stressing again.  Sorry.
Hope

#46 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:35 PM

You are aalways going to be you, no matter what.  If you are bipolar, you have been living with it all this time......   :hearts:
Posted Image

#47 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:11 PM

More often these days, I hear the "illness" as described to be on a spectrum.  So I would not get too hung up on a diagnosis of bipolar or not, they seem to use many of the same drugs for bipolar or unipolar.  The label is not going to make a difference on your recovery.

Maybe the three of us can get a group rate on ECT at the clinic.  I let ladies go first.  :hearts:  

I think allot of the positive comments on Lamictal are more drug company hype then fact.  I have yet to find a real live person to say it helped them much.  

I hope the Cymbalta + Depokote does the trick. Good luck!

#48 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:03 PM

Sounds like you have a good med regime.  I glad you hung in there to get through the start-ups.  Takes lots of patience to do this when not feeling better, but I think after the first week, you're doing great!   :hearts:
Posted Image

#49 Hope

Hope

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:27 PM

You are right!!!  we should get a discount.  But really, I think I would let you go first Remission :rasp:  Then you could tell us how it was. :idea3:  

Well I hope the lamictal works for you.  You will have to keep us posted. :p

Hope

#50 Hope

Hope

• PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:29 PM

Jackie, thanks for that.  I really have been struggling though for a good three years and i really dont want to have to do that anymore.  But I will try to keep my head up and pray for a micracle. :hearts:
Hope

#51 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:22 PM

I hope your doc can find a good combo for you.  Three years is a long time to try to find something to stablilze your depression.  Sounds like you need to look into more of the newer meds.  Anxiety can make one wonder if they are bipolar.  I certainly crossed my mind with the racing thoughts, but it was all anxiety, and responded well to Lexparo and Ativan.
Posted Image

#52 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:41 PM

Yeah... I did in the wellbutrin forum. everything been pretty good... I went up to 60mg of cymbalta after starting it @ 30mg the first week. It's helping a lot.. I'm still on the wellbutrin sr 150mg, depakote 500mg, and the desyrel (i'm suppose to take 150mg, but I take 50mg cause it makes you really really sleepy).  THanks for asking....   :;):
Corey, I"m 26 years old; Atlanta, GA now.. I'm happy :)

#53 Penny64

Penny64

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:23 AM

Today will be my 3rd day at 60mgs of cymbalta and so far no side effects. I count myself lucky! I think I am going to like this SNRI. I'm starting to feel better than I had on lexapro in awhile. I think it had just pooped out. I have had no problems with discontinueing it. As of today I will no longer be on it at all. Down from 50mgs (40 was what I was regularly on but they upped me to 50 for a week to see what it would do, NOTHING!).

Let your past make you better, not bitter.

#54 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 06:53 AM

I found it to be better than lexapro as I had terrible jaw clenching, but nothing like that with Cymbalta.  Lexparo worked well on the anxiety and depression, and for some, it's a good med.  I just got tired of the headaches...  The Cymbalta works well on my Fibromylgia.
Posted Image

#55 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:14 PM

:hearts:  Glad you felt comfortable enough to stop trolling around, and join the room.  I'm sure that it was difficult to go from Lexapro 20mg., to Cymbalta.  I couldn't tolerate 20mg. of Lexapro as the side effects from the increase was too severe.  My anxiety is better controlled, too.  I noticed it took MONTHS for the Lexapro to get my GAD down to a tolerable level.
Posted Image

#56 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 11:47 AM

Jkm - Glad to hear about your liver panel results,  mine were good also.
Hope - I have been on Depakote 750 mg for a year of so and Cymbalta for 2 months.  I also had a hard time with the "bipolar" thing, still do at times.
Fred

#57 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 07:10 PM

I forgot to mention that I've been on Cymbalta for 6mo.
Posted Image

#58 steveb

steveb

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 07:45 PM

Once again am new on a med. Like many others here tried them all. I am day 2 on 30 mg and tapering off lithium too, although not bipolar, doc tried it for depression. I am so terribly sick and nausea and no appetite and wondering if anyone else was this sick and how long till it passed. I also have numbness and weakness in my right arm and hand which really scares me. I am also really panicky and dont know what to do...please advise anyone....

#59 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:43 AM

I was sick when I went on Cymbalta, and my stomach was just about fried.  I got some stomach acid reducers and it helped.
Posted Image

#60 Penny64

Penny64

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 05:01 AM

Some of this might be coming off of lithium too. I was extremely sick coming off lithium and not at all sick going on cymbalta. Keep in close contact with your dr. Especially about your arm. I would call him ASAP about numness and weakness. Thats not right. Keep letting us know how its going. I'm only in my 2nd week. I like it so far. I feel much better on this than others.  :D

Let your past make you better, not bitter.

#61 Gabe

Gabe

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:23 AM

I'm on my fifth day of taking Cymbalta and I feel good.  Currently taking 60mg a day having just switched from 40mg/day on Prozac.  A little trouble sleeping the first night . . . went back to my physician and received a RX for trazadone to help me sleep.  Doing well! :)

#62 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 09:30 AM

Welcome to the fourms!

I like Cymbalta, too.  Do you take it in the morning or at night?  I tried taking it at bedtime and was awake until 3am, so I started taking it in and am, and still do.   :)
Posted Image

#63 Blues-man

Blues-man

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

I switched hard from Lexapro to Cymbalta...just stopped taking 20 Lex and started taking 60 of Cymbalta the next day.  I had a pretty rough couple of days, but it has been over a month now and and I am doing just about as well as I have in my life (after AD's, there was no life before).  I have a little bit of an issue with mid-day sleepyness but other than that I feel great. AD's have always treated my severe depression well, in fact any AD has pretty much cured me of that. (Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro)  However, I also have really serious GAD and have never done well with any treatment other than mass benzo's and all their related problems. Cymbalta has managed to get everything under control and I feel more "normal" than I ever have. I'm even attending a gym.  :hearts:

I used to take 20 Lexapro in morning for the most part, although I was moving the dose time around quite a bit for a good fit.  Eventually, it just pooped out after 18 months or so.  I am now on Cymbalta 30 morning and 30 evening.

I have trolled this board for "bad times" support for years and have always told myself if I had anything to offer the community I would post.  Well, now I do. Cymbalta is working well, very well for me.

I hope someone can take this post and get a month like I have just had.....I consider myself very lucky.   :;):

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)