Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jkm

Cymbalta II

63 posts in this topic

Posted

How is everyone doing?  This room sure is quiet.  Maybe that's a good sign!   :hearts:

You might also be interested in:

Posted

JKM - Yes, this topic is slow.  I am now finished with my taper off Cymbalta and had a tough time at the bottom of the steps.  Typical AD withdrawal, very similar to Paxil or Effexor, not fun.   :hearts:  My mood is still good, even though I have discontinued Cymbalta.  There is some thought that the Cymbalta withdrawal has put me into some strange hypomanic state. Next drug might be Lamictal.  Per my PCP, I am still getting liver panel tests and they are all normal since tapering the Cymbalta.   That is a huge relief that the toxicity thing is totally reversible.

How is the rest of the room doing??

Posted

Hi all:

I got my results back from my blood test for the liver and everything is normal (at least as far as my liver),  I am definately not "normal" I am doing pretty good on the 60 mg.   I plan on getting blood tests on a regular basis to keep on checking.   :grinning:

Posted

I wonder how many people we have on Cymbalta?  Seems like we lost some!    :smart:

Posted

I'm here.  I wouldn't say Cymbalta has been a "miracle" drug for me...nothing has...but it's kept me on sort of an even keel.  Side effects have been limited to drowsiness, night sweats, and possibly a little eye weirdness.

I miss Serzone.   :(

Posted

I know what you mean.  I know there are no 'happy drugs' out there (Which are leagl), but I think my mood and energy level could be a little better.  I don't like the sexual side-effects, and feel like jet-lag halfway through the day.  I guess trading the loss of anxiety for feeling pooped-out is what I'm saying.  That and being able to fall asleep, and staying asleep all night.  Nothing like the feeling before this all hit.  I've been on this Sept., so I guess this is it.  Wonder what new meds are coming out?

Posted

I start on 30 mgs of cymbalta today while titrating down from 40mgs of lexapro. I will drop down 10 mgs of lexapro every 4 days until I am off it. In one week I will go up to 60 mgs of cymbalta. So goes the plan at least. Well wish me luck. I will let you know how it goes.  :)

Posted

Nice to have more people here, Lynn.  I hope the transition goes well for you!   :hearts:

Posted

I've worked my way up to 60mg of Cymbalta daily.  It's been about 3 months since I took the first one, and I've had to increase the dose very slowly.  I'm now trying to get my Wellbutrin dosage set.  The Cymbalta seems to be OK, except that it tends to make me hungry and I gained a few pounds on it alone.  The Wellbutrin has stopped the cravings, but is making me jittery.  I just dropped to 100 mg. daily to see if that helps.

Posted

Well, so far the only side effect I am having is lack of sleep. I am only getting 4-5 hours. I am taking it in the morning. I'm wide awake all day and ready to go to sleep by 8 to 9 at night but up at 1 to 2. Wide awake.  :hearts:  But from what I have read this will go away eventually. Oh, I got my b12 shot 3 days ago to so this might be playing into it also. It usually hipes me up a day or 2. It could be worse I could be having lack of sleep and be tired. I will keep you all posted.

Lynnie

Posted

I'm going to see my doc this morning.  I will ask about the liver panel, as if you read other older post, someone said their liver enzymes were elevated.....

Posted

Tomarrow I down my dosage of lexapro to 20mgs so maybe that might help too.  :p

Posted

I feel as if I'm holding water--bloated.  I think it's the Cymbalta since the problem began when I started taking the stuff.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Posted

I went to the odc and she did a liver panel as she had to do some other blood test.  Will let you know the outcome.

Posted

Hey everyone.  Still on 60mgs.  Still struggling, but can function most days.  Just so blah.  About 15 days out of the month the depression is really bad.  You know the kind where you just want to be admitted in the hospital and not do anything.  But we tried added trileptal and it didn't seem to work.  Plus it was making me extremly tired and I am getting some bad headaches.  So still might try to add depokate or something like that to see if I am bipolar maybe.  I already tried lamictal, respidal, and topomax.  NO success.  I think I have one of those treatment resistent depressions.  A few more meds then I am off to Cleveland clinic for ECT.

JKM I havent been on in a while, our computer crashed.  But wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and hope things get better soon for you.

Posted

That's nice.  It's good to hear form you.  Sorry you're having problems with finding meds.  I'd look into the bipolar stuff, too.  Maybe that's the problem.  

My liver panel came back good.  Yippee!

Posted

Hi Cymbalta gang.  I hope you don't mind me continuing to post, since I had to discontinue Cymbalta.  Remember, I did start this topic.   :;):

I am stable without any meds right now, but certainly not well.  This is very strange.  If you ever discontinue Cymbalta, do it slow.  I took 4 weeks to get off of it, and I did not crash and burn with this schedule.  I am still not too depressed, but the anxiety and irritability symptoms are over the top.

JKM - Glad your blood tests came out okay.  It is better to be safe than sorry and the liver test is pretty cheap. I am happy for you to be getting some relief with this med.

Hope -  I think there might be something in the water in NE Ohio, or Bipolar (BP) is the only thing the docs around here know what to try when all else fails.  My docs in Cleveland also want me to try the BP meds.  They want me to try Lamictal.  The problem is I already have a rash and the Lamictal deadly rash thing scares me and my docs.   My doc at the Cleveland Clinic is the shock doc.  He is very nice, and if I had to do ECT, he would be my 1st choice.  As for me, I am no longer a good candidate for ECT, because I am no longer severely depressed (courtesy of Cymbalta).   I guess they would bring up ECT again; if/when I got real bad again.  I don't even want to think about that again.

I saw a special on CNN about ECT.  I was amazed to hear that more people have ECT per year, than get their appendix out.  I hope the transdermal MAOI (Emsam) comes out soon.  I am scared of the other MAOI's, but would be willing to try the transdermal one without the dietary restrictions.

Posted

I heard that lamictal is suppose to do wonders expsecially if you have more of the depressed stage of bipolar.  But for me it made me more depressed.  I actually almost had to stay in the hospital.  But luckily I didn't have too.  I was on it for 9 days and it took about 15 for me to function again.  I quess I am just a strange one when it comes to these meds.  I think I may try adding depokate with the cymbalta to see if that works.  But this week I am going in to have my liver panel checked.  Just to be safe.  

For ect I know that I am not a good candidate as well but after all of the meds and three years having a hard time, it may be time.  My brother in law works for the pychiatric unit in cleveland clinic and he talks highly of ect.  Remission like you said a lot of docs will start trying the bp meds if all else fails .  I just wish I could get a break.

Posted

Just wanted to add that I think I am just afraid to find out that I am bipolar.  And then the anxiety kicks in.  YOu know like what if I am never myself again, or I never find meds that work.  Okay I am stressing again.  Sorry.

Posted

You are aalways going to be you, no matter what.  If you are bipolar, you have been living with it all this time......   :hearts:

Posted

More often these days, I hear the "illness" as described to be on a spectrum.  So I would not get too hung up on a diagnosis of bipolar or not, they seem to use many of the same drugs for bipolar or unipolar.  The label is not going to make a difference on your recovery.

Maybe the three of us can get a group rate on ECT at the clinic.  I let ladies go first.  :hearts:  

I think allot of the positive comments on Lamictal are more drug company hype then fact.  I have yet to find a real live person to say it helped them much.  

I hope the Cymbalta + Depokote does the trick. Good luck!

Posted

You are right!!!  we should get a discount.  But really, I think I would let you go first Remission :rasp:  Then you could tell us how it was. :idea3:  

Well I hope the lamictal works for you.  You will have to keep us posted. :p

Posted

Jackie, thanks for that.  I really have been struggling though for a good three years and i really dont want to have to do that anymore.  But I will try to keep my head up and pray for a micracle. :hearts:

Posted

I hope your doc can find a good combo for you.  Three years is a long time to try to find something to stablilze your depression.  Sounds like you need to look into more of the newer meds.  Anxiety can make one wonder if they are bipolar.  I certainly crossed my mind with the racing thoughts, but it was all anxiety, and responded well to Lexparo and Ativan.

Posted

Today will be my 3rd day at 60mgs of cymbalta and so far no side effects. I count myself lucky! I think I am going to like this SNRI. I'm starting to feel better than I had on lexapro in awhile. I think it had just pooped out. I have had no problems with discontinueing it. As of today I will no longer be on it at all. Down from 50mgs (40 was what I was regularly on but they upped me to 50 for a week to see what it would do, NOTHING!).