Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Prozac And Melatonin

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 number1usjoe

number1usjoe

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:53 PM

I told my doc I took melatonin on and off as sleep aide along side ambien cr or tylenol pm.

He didnt tell me not to take melatonin.

I read that melatonoin helps with dreaming but it seems to be what seratoinin turns into after a time of day. I am not sure about this. I dont want to cancel out the seratonin inhabiting I work for in the daytime.

Does anyone take any or all of the above sleep aides?

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,880 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

Glad to hear that you talked to your pdoc about taking melatonin. So many people take supplements without asking their pdoc if it will interfere with their meds. You did the right thing.

When I was on Prozac, I was prescribed trazodone/Desyril as a sleep aid. It worked well for a long time. When it became less effective I was put on Ambien. I no longer take Prozac and currently take Imipramine (tricyclic AD) and Restoril for sleep. The combo works well. I've never tried melatonin, so I can't give you any answer on the combo with Prozac.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 Lucinda

Lucinda

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:42 PM

I told my doc I took melatonin on and off as sleep aide along side ambien cr or tylenol pm.

He didnt tell me not to take melatonin.

I read that melatonoin helps with dreaming but it seems to be what seratoinin turns into after a time of day. I am not sure about this. I dont want to cancel out the seratonin inhabiting I work for in the daytime.

Does anyone take any or all of the above sleep aides?

Hey number1usjoe,

I don't think that melatonin would be contraindicated with what you are prescribed. Afterall, your body naturally produces it at night to make you sleep anyway. I would just be concerned about the brand you are buying. A lot of these over the counter supplements are mixed with other things and you don't know what it is. I'm sorry, I didn't see if you are in the U.S.; but, as you probably know that FDA does not regulate any of this stuff. So, you don't know for sure what you are buying.
On the other hand, Melatonin itself is a good sleep aid, as I have heard from others. The good thing about it is that it is a powerful anti-oxidant. I guess the real question is, how much are you taking a night? One 3mg tablet? Also, have you considered taking a benadryl or asking him for a script of atarax? Both are anti-histamines that are great for sleeping well and you know what's in them.
I use to be big on taking supplements and all, until I started to read articles about questionable ingredients. Some of it blew me away so I stopped wasting my money.
Take care and hope I didn't discourage you; but, I can relate about getting a good night sleep.
Peace and Blessings,
Lucinda

:hearts:
Tell whoso hath sorrow
Grief never shall last:
E'en as joy hath no morrow
So woe shall go past."
--Scheherazade

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users