Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Ugh..Hellooo..Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Here's what I found:

Cymbalta's Typical Side Effects: The usual for SNRIs and SSRIs -  headache, nausea, dry mouth, sweating, sleepiness or insomnia, and diarrhea or constipation, weight gain, urinary hesitancy (it is a med for urinary incontinence after all), loss of libido and a host of other sexual dysfunctions. Most everything but the constipation, urinary hesitancy and any sexual dysfunctions usually goes away within a couple of weeks.  Although some women will get a sexual boost instead of a sexual dampening.  It all depends on how much norepinephrine (and to a much lesser extent dopamine) reuptake inhibition is going on versus serotonin reuptake inhibition, and which receptors are getting tweaked.  So it's all a matter of how you do in the side effect lotto.

Cymbalta's Not So Common Side Effects:  Controlled narrow glaucoma (but you already have to be at risk for eye problems to start with), elevated liver serum (an annual liver panel with this med probably isn't a bad idea),  blurry vision, muscle cramps, weight loss (hey, it's a problem for some of us).
These may or may not happen to you don't, so don't be surprised one way or the other.

Cymbalta's Freaky Rare Side Effects: Retinal detachment.  Ouch!  I don't want to know how the med caused that.
You aren't going to get these. I promise.

Depakote

Not many side effects are reported but ones that are:
Common Side Effects:

Abdominal or stomach cramps (mild); change in menstrual periods; diarrhea; hair loss; indigestion; loss of appetite; nausea and vomiting; trembling of hands and arms; unusual weight loss or gain

Less Common Side Effects:

Clumsiness or unsteadiness; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; headache; skin rash; unusual excitement, restlessness, or irritability

Always Notify Doctor:

Less Common: Abdominal or stomach cramps (severe); behavioral, mood, or mental changes; continuous, uncontrolled back-and-forth and/or rolling eye movements; double vision; increase in seizures; loss of appetite; nausea or vomiting (continuing); spots before eyes; swelling of face; tiredness and weakness; unusual bleeding or bruising; yellow eyes or skin  

Withdrawal side effects of Hellbutrin:

Addiction & Withdrawal Side-Effects
Withdrawal side-effects/reactions from (SSRI) Anti-depressants which may be seen within 8-hours, often includes a spontaneously experience of a "flu-like" syndrome, feeling "crummy", tired, achy, etc..
In addition to the flu-like symptoms: anxiety, dizziness, fatigue, headache, migraine-like feelings, nerves jangling when moving eyes, continuous indigestion, neck and back pain, psychotic features such as visual and/or audial hallucinations/illusions, insomnia, nausea, restlessness, "electrical shock" like phenomena/electrical  surges or shocks through the head and/or body, hyper-sensitivity of the nervous system to light, sound, colours & stressors, tremors, tinnitus and a vertiginous-like experience, depressive thoughts, suicidal thoughts, homicidal thoughts, extreme anger, severe agitation, extreme irritability, "over-reacting", ringing in ears and throbbing in head, vomiting, paranoia, aggressive behaviour, rollercoaster emotions rapidly following up on eachother, out of character behaviour, severe malaise, general dysphoria, derealization, panic attacks.  

what do you think?  I haven't ever taken Cymbalta, so I can't say... but I HAVE taken both Depakote and Hellbutrin... these are just MY experiences and what google.com has to say from leading sources.

hope it helps,
Cat :hearts:

#2 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:44 PM

Wow.. I'm glad you made it through.. I don't know if it's withdrawel for me since this is the first day I reduced but it could be. No, l haven't really been eating lately; I only had a lean cuisine and a bag of doritos yesterday... but usually not eating  doesn't affect me much... I had some chicken noddle soup and I felt a little better but not much. I'm okay right now, I'm still kinda upset about what happened earlier...and talked to my parents for awhile and my bf. They agreed that it was wrong for my manager to suspend me cause of that... I guess it doesn't suprise me though, it being abercrombie & fitch and all.. but it still hurts...You don't think it's the depakote? I guess that leaves WB and Cymbalta as the culprits. I still feel like my mind is going crazy... is the weird throat thing and feeling like you are about to vomit normal for startup?
Corey, I"m 26 years old; Atlanta, GA now.. I'm happy :)

#3 Sammy

Sammy

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:20 AM

The doc has me on WB, cymbalta, depakote er, desytrel, lortab, imitrex, phenergan, ambien. The last 4 I take as needed; I do think I'm on too many medications.

I looked up these drugs on RxList just to see what they were usually used for. Here's what I find.

WB--an antidepressant, also used to help stop smoking. Differs from most antidepressants in that it doesn't boost serotonin (acts on dopamine and norepinephrine)

cymbalta--new antidepressant that boost both serotonin and norepinephrine

depakote--mood stabilizer and antiseizure medication

desytrel--is this deseryl (trazodone)? An antidepressant but usually used as a sleep aid.

lortab--: hydrocodone/acetaminophen, used for pain

imitrex--for migraines

phenergan--lots of uses including allergies and rhinitis

ambien--one of the newer sleeping medications.

Boy is that a lot of medications! Did your doctor explain all of these? You can find a patient handout for each on Rxlist and other websites.

Just curious what your doc said about why he would change you to cymbalta and divalproex at the same time.

I'm glad to hear you're smiling a lot and hope the good feeling continues.

none

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

So others might be suspicious of you smiling.........LOL!     :D  I smile a lot too, so it must be a side effect???  Who knows?  Enjoy it while you feel good.  I hear that Wellbrutin inceases anxxiety when you first go on it.

Sounds like your doc has covered all the bases with the meds he's made available to you.  As long as you feel this well, I think you are doing fine.

Did you get back to work, yet?   :wave:
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:34 PM

Everything has been a lot better each day after that day. That day all that happen I took cymbalta and wellbutrin sr @ the same time... lately I been taking cymbalta first then taking wellbutrin sr 6 hours later... I notice my anxiety flares up when I'm on the WB. The doc has me on WB, cymbalta, depakote er, desytrel, lortab, imitrex, phenergan, ambien. The last 4 I take as needed; I do think I'm on too many medications. One thing people have notice though is that I smile a lot... smile tooo much and it's starting to bother a lot of people. Of course I could careless about it, but does any one smile excessively for no reason?

#6 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:15 PM

aberCoreyFitch (my FAV jeans, by the way... :;): ) *wink wink*

It sounds EXACTLY like what happened to me when I had withdrawal from Hellbutrin!!!!!!  Almost like a seizure!  I felt trapped in my own body!  Mummified almost!  The way you describe it, is just EXACTLY (with a few more things added) what happened when I missed my second or third dosage... and WHAM!!!!! I was down!  My husband caught me just before I hit the floor (thankfully :hearts: ) and it was D*** scary!  The entire withdrawal from Hellbutrin was horrible, but then... I didn't do well on the med at all either, with dizziness and a "tunnel-like-racing" feeling all the time...

It COULD be adverse effects from EITHER med... did you eat well yesterday?  Sometimes with Hellbutrin you forget to eat... and that makes it worse...

It's very interesting... Are you okay right now?

Your boss is wrong and I'm not sure what recourse you have, but I bet there HAS to be SOMETHING you can do about his "caustic" attitude toward your depression.  I'd look into it, if you want to keep your job.

I wish you love and laughter... be careful, ok?
Cat

*edit* I am almost 100% sure it wasn't the Depakote, which is a mood stabilizer... It's usually quite easy going down... at least in the beginning stages... but there are always exceptions.

:bump:

#7 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:29 PM

Most people complain about nausea and constipation with start up of Cymballta.  I've been on it since Sept., and can tell you the nausea was terrible, but went away after one week.

My heart goes out to you.  Meds are something to get on and get off.    :hearts:
Posted Image

#8 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 11:34 AM

:bump: Big change from yesterday in the Cymbalta II topic... Today was my first time on Cymbalta @ 30mg, I took it an hour after I took my wellbutrin sr (today I reduced from 300 to 150mg), last night I started a new medicine called "depakote ER 500mg" (not sure what that does yet)..  :shocked: :shocked: :blush21: :tear2: In short...I felt kinda weird this morning, but felt happy for awhile..then I develop some kinda weird thing going on with my THROAT.. it felt like I wanted to vomit and it was soooo intense... It was such a strange uncomfortable feeling in my throat, like it was spasming for me to throw up... (HAS ANYONE HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE???) so i started to drink water... about an hour after that.. I started to get dizzy, lightheaded and unbalanced, and started getting weak... and I was sweating profusely.... this subsided a little bit... however I'm guessing my emotions got way out of wack... in short again.. I was told my  I was pacing around in a circle like I didn't realize it (I don't think I was at least) and that i had a disturbing blank or zombie look as she describe it on my face that was scaring the other employees and customers. So I got suspended for the rest of this week, and was told I wasn't wanted there if I'm going to have depression problems.

I've NEVER been this bad before at work or anywhere.. I couldn't concentrate on what I was saying or anything.. and feel very distraunt. and I can't even explain the look I had.. cause It didn't look strange to me, but other people thought so.  I don't think it was reducing the wellbutrin cause I forget to take it some days rather just take one (150 2x/day..300) and I never felt so emotionally f**ked up like I wanted to die. So I don't know what depakote ER does for depression it had to be it or the Cymbalta.... :nod: :hearts:

#9 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 08:35 AM

How are you feeling, today?  Maybe the problem was too many med changes at once.   ???
Posted Image

#10 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:22 PM

:hearts: Sammy thank you very much for the information. It's really helpful. My doctor did not explain to me what they do except I knew what ambien does. Yeah I started talking cymbalta and depakote at the same time... since you said it is a mood stabilzer.. I did remember telling him there are times I get extremely happy that I just wanna blow up, and I'm really depressed most of the time. It's weird though.. I was just reading about it... I'm taking 500mg of depakote er, but i read that for any effect on mood you have to take over 1000mg..  why do you ask? Do they interact in a bad way with each other ??? ??? I've been trying to contact my doc but he hasn't call back at all. Does anyone know when you are going up to 60mg of cymbalta a day do you take both 30mg @ the same time, or in intervels? Sorry for so many questions. Thanks very much. :)

#11 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:37 PM

Take the 60mg. in one dose.

Hope you get some response from your doc.  Maybe he didn't realize that the two meds would cause some kind of reaction.  Cymbalta is so new....  At least you could let him know what it did to you.

Maybe he plans on increasing the Depakote if you don't notice any change in your mood.  I know that some meds are started at a lower dose and increased slowly.  Take care.  Med increases and having new meds started can be a rough road till you body adjusts.  I hope you're feeling better, now.
Posted Image

#12 swinn

swinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 April 2005 - 04:07 PM

aberCoreyfitch,

I think I would call my dr. and tell him what happened.  He might have some suggestions or know exactly what it was.  Has it happened again.  It isn't fair for you to have lost your job over it.  Some things are real bummers.  Just hang in there but I would call my doc.
Sally

#13 aberCoreyfitch

aberCoreyfitch

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

Thank you all so much... that really helped... I'm going to try to keep on truckin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users