Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
356 replies to this topic

#321 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 04:42 PM

My pdoc was gone for the holiday.  My PCP sent me straight to the nearest emergency room.  They drew blood and everything else if fine, except my liver enzymes are still elevated.  They concluded that it was due to the Cymbalta, as Cymbalta is the only med I am taking.  They tested for Hepatitis too, which was negative to rule that out.  They reduced my dose from 60 mg to 40 mg and to get with my pdoc after the holiday to get totally off Cymbalta.

Just when something was starting to help.  Cymbalta was the first thing to help me in over 2 years.  I am not looking forward to what happens next.

I would recommend getting a hepatic profile after you have been on Cymbalta over a few months.  If you are the unlucky type to have a liver reaction, it genrally does not show up in lab test for 2-3 months.  You can see the problem when most of the clinical trials only last 9 weeks.  Too short a time for anyone to develop abnormal liver tests during the trials.

#322 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:05 PM

Thanks for this info.  I'll be sure to have my doc check on it, as I'm having trouble with one of my kidneys.  It's shrinking, but has been doing this for a couple of years, that they never told me about.  She said it may be the cause of my high blood pressure.  She was surprised no one never told me.  Well, now it hurts.  No other symptoms.  What next?  Maybe they'll try to baloon the arteries...
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#323 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 January 2005 - 07:19 PM

Feeling real anxious today, tired, projecting. Did increasing from 30 to 60 mg help others with anxiety. Have been on the 30mg for a little over three weeks.
Fred

#324 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:54 AM

My anxiety was under control by the Lexapro.  The couple of days I tapered down to five mgs., I could feel it.  When I went on 30, if went down.  Hope the 60 does this for you.  If not, ask your doc for something to help you out for a couple of months.  It took that long with the lexapro.
Posted Image

#325 HerbalMaxx

HerbalMaxx

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:53 PM

Oh well, was thinking of trying this stuff,but I already have elevated liver enzymes. Dont need anything adding to it.
In a dream I woke and found myself in life. It flashed before my eyes like a story from long ago. Filled with pain, and tears, and love, and joy. I wished I could wake, but dreamed on. Then before I knew it the dream was over. Now I sleep, wishing to wake again.

DF member since Oct 01

#326 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:57 PM

I am probably the .00001% that got a rare spike in liver enzymes.  In addition, the increase could be unrelated.  I am getting a battery of tests to find out.  If they go back down with a taper of Cymbalta, then I can say it with more confidence.  The final verdict is still out.  My guess is I am just an unlucky rare event.

#327 Sumatra

Sumatra

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 10:55 AM

I asked my pharmacy team about liver problems with Cymbalta.  They agreed that it is not usual to test for elevations in liver enzymes because problems are rare.  Still . . .

Today I went from 30 mg to 60 and added 150 mg. of Wellbutrin XL.  I was doing OK on the lower dose of the Cymbalta, but it seemed to stop working.  Granted, the holidays are not my best time.  I was also getting a carb craving on the Cymbalta, and from my weight gain on Paxil, I know that's a big problem.  The doctor was concerned too, so he suggested the Wellbutrin to help dull my appetite.  I hope this combination doesn't make me jittery.  Is anyone else taking this combination?  Took the pills 3 hours ago and no headache or problems so far.  Just the first day, though.

#328 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:03 PM

This makes me depressed (surprise).... I had hopes for this drug and now after reading your threads feel like it is going to be another tried but... :hearts:.  Guess I will have to wait and see, something I am not real good at, Obsessive Compulsive to...
Have others had the problems with the liver enzymes elevated and is this a problem with any of the other ssri's or snri's.?
Fred

#329 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 09:03 PM

Sumatra:
How long were you on the 30 mg dose before you bumped up to 60 mg? Did you have anxiety also?
thanks
:D
Fred

#330 Sumatra

Sumatra

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:49 AM

I was on 30mg for a couple of months, I think.  I had no side effects at all.   The only benefit I saw was that I didn't feel so overwhelmed with everyday tasks.  This is a major benefit for me.  However, I got depressed over the holidays and decided to go for an increase.  I was a bit jittery at bedtime, perhaps from the Wellbutrin.  I may do that one every other day.  Its only purpose is to try to keep the carb cravings in check.

#331 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

I have been on 30 mg for 3+ weeks and am still feeling quite anxious and may go up to 60 mg.  I will be interested to hear how going up works for you.  I understand carb cravings also, what a pain.
Thanks
Fred

#332 Jaded

Jaded

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 01:28 PM

Well, I'm still around. I've been taking 20mg Cymbalta twice a day and I'm doing great. Side effects are almost none. Biggest thing is fatigue but definitely tolerable and I feel sooooo much better. It really works for my depression and anxiety. I'm so happy to have found this. Virtually no s/e's and I feel great. What's not to like? :)

I'll admit I haven't had any blood tests. My doc hasn't mentioned it. I see him Wednesday. I did decide to begin taking a liver support supplement with milk thistle in it just in case, but I'm in no hurry to stop Cymbalta. It works for me.

#333 mindless13

mindless13

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:54 PM

Remission,
I wouldn't say your a rare exception because my enzyme, namely alt and ast elevated also on cymbalta also. However, it returned to normal after it was stopped.  I had no other syptoms though.  Maybe folks should be aware of this.
HELP

#334 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:19 PM

Mindless - Thanks for your update on the liver issue.  My doc's recommended that reduce my Cymbalta until we get this all figured out.  I have had a battery of tests to rule out other causes (ultrasound Gall Bladder, Liver, etc.) and some labs (hepatitis, HIV, etc.).  I got everything back today, and I am all the tests were neg. and it was officially determined to be due to the Cymbalta.  Since going from 60 mg to 30 mg, my liver enzymes have returned to an acceptable range (still mildly elevated).  You could be right, that this might not be such a rare occurrence.

I would recommend everyone on Cymbalta get a liver panel after being on it a few months, and regular check ups to see if anything has changed.

Cymbalta is so new.  I am told that it generally takes a few months on an effect dose to cause problems, if you are going to have any.  The problem is that most of the clinical trials that tested Cymbalta were for less than 9 weeks.  If it takes more then 9 weeks to develop the problem, they would have missed it in the trials.

#335 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 05:32 PM

FYI -

January 2005) [View the entire January 2005 issue in PDF format]
AN FDA reviewer wrote: In the event that unconfounded cases of severe liver injury or acute liver failure related to duloxetine treatment are identified and submitted early in the postmarketing period, the division will use the threshold of three œclean? cases to initiate additional regulatory action that could range from a more prominent warning to the withdrawal of the drug product. Abruptly stopping duloxetine treatment can result in a withdrawal syndrome that consists of the following symptoms: dizziness; nausea; headache; a sensation of P**king, tingling, or creeping on the skin (paresthesia); vomiting; irritability; and nightmare. Discontinuation of duloxetine should only be done under medical supervision. Duloxetine

#336 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:16 PM

Thanks for that, remission.  Never stop any of these meds 'cold turkey'.  If you do, you'll be so sorry!    :hearts:  Get advice from you medical doc or psychiatrist.  Not all meds react on everyone the same way.....  The next time I see my doc, this will be at the top of the list.
Posted Image

#337 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:41 PM

Was there this same concern of Effexor?
Fred

#338 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 05:53 PM

Daddo -

No, the group that pulished this report (worstpills.org) does not badmouth any other antidepressants, except Serzone.  This group did recommend to not take Serzone 2 years before the FDA acted and the manufacturer withdrew the drug.

They have a good record.  They warned about 8 of the last 9 big drugs (all kinds) to with banned, an average of two years before it happened.

I think Cymbalta might be doomed.  Cymbalta may have less of the typical benign AD side effects, but liver toxity and blood pressure problems can not be swept under the rug and blamed on the mental patients.  Lab tests don't lie.

#339 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 09:45 AM

Daddo - The majority of people in the trial did not have a problem and there are lots of others on Cymbalta now.  You might never have the liver problem, no matter how high a dose you took.  It is probably not a bad idea to get your liver panel done every month while on Cymbalta.  Since it can take years and millions of patients later (VIOXX, SERZONE, etc.), when taking new med, it is wise to be extra cautious.

My liver tests are lower after I reduced the dose (under doctor™s orders) to 30 mg from 60 mg. No increased depression since tapering the dose.  This is also weird, because the clinical trials for Cymbalta did not show any help for depression at a dose less than 40 mg per day.  I did experience some withdrawal when decreasing the dose (similar to Effexor withdrawal), but without any increase in depression symptoms.

My guess is Cymbalta will be around for awhile, as it generally takes years and doctors are notoriously bad about reporting any adverse events.  Although to play it safe, I dumped my Lilly stock.  

Don't do anything different without your doctor's orders.

#340 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:53 PM

I increased to 60 mg. three days ago and it seems to be helping the anxiety as so far I am feeling better. I seem to have more energy.  I have had trouble staying asleep the last two nights, have woken up two or three times each night. Fighting a head cold (I think it is winning)..
JKM How are you doing?
Fred

#341 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

I have some good news.  So far, discontinuing Cymbalta has not been too bad.  I am down to 20 mg and will be totally off it in a few days.  Liver tests are back to normal now.  I was a pretty sick pup there for awhile.   My mood is still elevated, but once the Cymbalta is gone, I am scared about what is around the corner.   My doc has recommended Moclobemide (reversiable MAOI).  Believe it or not, but I almost have more trust in Moclobemide, because it WAS NOT approved for use in the USA by the FDA.

#342 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:04 AM

I have seconds thoughts with all the warnings about cymbalta.  I got back on the Ativan sonce my Dad passed away as it triggered my anxiety back up.  I'm struggling to keep up, and the depression has reared it's ugly head with the grief, but I'm going to work and trying to do what needs to be done....   I'm so glad I'm off on Monday!
Posted Image

#343 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:46 AM

JKM - It sounds like you are having a rough time, which is understandable regarding the circumstances.  Ativan short term won't hurt you it is good that you have something to help right now.  I would not get down on Cymbalta just yet.  My liver experience could be 1 out of 100,000, and very remote.  It does not cost much to have a simple liver panel done every few months just to be sure.

Take care of yourself.

#344 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:55 PM

I tend to obsess when I get zonked with lifes' issues, but will have this done.  I also have a kidney which is shrinking, and have to have a scan done in Feb.  I never heard of such a thing.....  Doc thinks that's causing the high blood pressure....
Posted Image

#345 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:16 PM

JKM:
I can certainly understand the obscessing.  I obscess when I get overtired, or stressed etc.  Hope that you are feeling better.  I am also going to get a liver panel done, but I am feeling better since going up to 60 mg. Hang in :hearts:
Fred

#346 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 10:33 AM

I trying to get my mind out of the Bermuda Triangle....     :hearts:
Posted Image

#347 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

I don't know about you but whenever I obscess about something it is not very often something that is good or positive. ???  Go figure
Fred

#348 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 08:48 AM

It's like you turn up the normal concern about things 10 time, and now you have worry and obsessive thoughts, which are usually negative and start with the "I can't....."  Hard to break the cycle when it starts, but it's part of the anxiety disorder.  I don't have the complusions with it, I just have too many things going on and am thinking if it doesn't quit happening, I'm going to have to get back in therapy and get some support to get this all figuured out.

My son has to have his tonsils out in two weeks and I'll have to go on FMLA for this.  Things at work are not pleasant. Management has been pretty nasty to alot of people whom they can't afford to employ to start with.  People are grumbling under their breath.
Posted Image

#349 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 05:33 PM

Sounds like your plate is full and then some. Is FMLA family leave? I sometimes have the compulsion part,  but I am trying to let things go more, we will see.  Hugs to you JKM
Fred

#350 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 01:28 AM

FMLA is the 'Family Medical leave act;   one of the better thhings Bill Clinton left for us working people.  You can take up to 12 weeks a year to take care of yourself or a family member who is ill.  the work est. has to pay you sick time or vacation time, your ins. while you are being paid, and guarantee a job when you come back.  You cannot be fired or let go...

Our sicktime policy is so strict, that this works better if you are unsure of how long you will need to be off.  It's flexible, so I can return to work as soon as he is able to take care of himself, but I can still take time off to take him to the doc's and stay with him, if necesary.  A person can take up to 12 weeks a year of this.

Thanks for the support.  It sure helps to know that wonderful people are out there!     :hearts:
Posted Image

#351 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:18 PM

One of the many things I have learned in AA is that if I share something with someone else then I am not carrying it alone.
I hope that your load does lessen in the near future,  and I appreciate all of your help and support also.
Fred

#352 Orion

Orion

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:09 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have a whole story to tell you all about my time on Cymbalta but haven't been feeling well enough (Cymbalta has been working very well) from other things and meds for quite some time.  I don't feel well this morning either but promise to get back here soon.
Orion

Dancing on the Edges

#353 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 04:09 PM

Jaded:
What did your doctor have to say? Glad to hear that Cymbalta is working so well for you, I don't see my doctor now until March so we will see.  I was supposed to see her today but had to cancell due to another commitment.
Fred

#354 Remission

Remission

• PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 05:24 PM

FYI - More news on Cymbalta -

Eli Lilly's Yentreve Casts Shadow On Cymbalta
01.28.05, 2:05 PM ET

Tear Sheet   |    Chart   |    News  

Prudential Equity Group said the recent decision by Eli Lilly (nyse: LLY - news - people ) to withdraw its application of Yentreve suggests that there may be a safety issue with the incontinence drug. "While a missed opportunity for Eli Lilly, the bigger concern is whether this could have any spill-over onto Cymbalta, which we forecast will be an over $3.00 billion product by 2009," Prudential said. "At this point, we are not saying that Cymbalta will run into a problem, but merely note that an issue could potentially arise here." Prudential said there are no marketed drugs for stress urinary incontinence, suggesting the Food and Drug Administration would have a lower threshold to approve Yentreve. The research firm said the Food and Drug Administration has already asked once for safety data related to QTc prolongation (heart conduction abnormality) and drug-drug interaction studies back in 2003. "Post the withdrawal of Vioxx, our industry contacts say the FDA is already acting more cautious in certain regards," Prudential said. Whether the FDA will now pay closer attention to what Eli Lilly's Urologics division had done with Yentreve is a valid question, according to Prudential. The research firm reiterated a "neutral-weight" rating on Eli Lilly.

#355 Jaded

Jaded

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 January 2005 - 03:01 PM

Jaded:
What did your doctor have to say? Glad to hear that Cymbalta is working so well for you, I don't see my doctor now until March so we will see.  I was supposed to see her today but had to cancell due to another commitment.

My appt went well. I have a script with refills for a year and a follow up appt in 6 months. He didn't mention anything about checking my liver...

I'm just gonna wait it out and see how things go.

#356 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:20 PM

Glad the appointment went well.
Fred

#357 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

• Super Administrators
  • 14,463 posts

Posted 06 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

Topics are usually closed within 10 pages. We are closing this thread and hopefully Random will start another on this road with Cymbalta and his recovery.  :;):

~Lindsay

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users