Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remission

Cymbalta

357 posts in this topic

Posted

JKM -

Day 14 today.  First 10 days was 20 mg twice a day.  Recent 4 days, 30 mg twice a day.  Perhaps I would do better taking both 30 mg (i.e. 60 mg) all at once in the AM.  I would not object if my pdoc had me go above 60 mg total a day either.

You are 60 mg once a day?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I'm doing 60mgs in the AM

Posted

Tomorow is lift-off at 60mg.  Velvet, what are the effects from 60mg, about 1 hr. after you take it?  I want to be prepared.... :hearts:

The 30mg. in the am is dandy!  A boost of energy, and cruise-control....   :idea3:  minimal.       :wave:

Posted

There's a mild stimulant effect and some nausea for the first few days.  I'm taking it in conjunciton with dexidrine, so I can't really tell exactly how stimulating it is.  It does take the edge off the dexidrine though.

Posted

Just got home from the pdoc appointment with 2 sample packs of 30 mg Cymbalta, so thought that I'd pop in to say hi.

Posted

Welcome to the club!  We're here trying to be good people and lead the way for others who eventualy may want to try this medication.  It works on the serotonin and norepinephrine in the brain, and depression is believed to be caused by an imbalance of these two chemicals.

Some people experience pain and fatigue with their depression, digestive problems, sleep problems, and weight changes.  Cymbalta is supposed to work on depression and pain both, so I switched from Lexapro to this with the hope that it takes the pain symptoms down.  The lexapro did real well with the concentration and anxiety I experienced, but seemed to do nothing for the headaches or backpain.   So far, so good.    :bump:

New meds can increase or decrease your blood pressure, so I get mine checked everytime I see the doc.  Mine runs high, and I get 'white coat' blood pressure where mine spikes up when I go to the doc's, anyhow.  It's a good idea to keep your docs on the same page with your medical issues.

When are you planning on starting you new meds?  I started when I was off from work with a viral infection, as I didn't want any surprises on the work site.  I found that this med tends to give a burst of energy, so taking it at bedtime had me up till 3am one night.  I now take it in the am before I go to work.  Caffine seems to increase the stimulating effect for some, so if you drink coffee or cola, you may notice a buzz or uncomfortable feeling, and want to switch to low test for awhile.

In the first week, I've had less pain, and noticed that I feel more clear-headed than the Lexapro.  I don't have the jaw clenching that I experienced on Lex, either, which is a big relief after 15mo. of headaches for that, and a tender jaw.  I have GAD, and have noticed no increase in anxiety.

I hope you get good results with this new medication!      :hearts:     Jackie   :shocked:

Posted

I took my first pill last night around 6, after dinner.  (Usually barry just hands me the meds and a few weeks later, asks when and how I take them.  This time he gave me explicit instructions)

Woke up at midnight with extreme nausea which lasted until about 2:30.  An upset stomach is not uncommon for me, but this was clearly more than that.  I'm wondering if it's because I have been med free for 6 - 8 weeks, so the chemicals have to start from square 1.

Thanks for the welcome, Jackie.                     deb :hearts:

Posted

Note to self:

Cymbalta + 2 oil cans Fosters = up at 6am with blinding headace.

Second not to self: That was stupid.  Don't do it again.

*moan*

Posted

TC: I've learned to always take in the morning, even it means setting my alarm to get up early, taking it, and then going back to bed.

Posted

Good morning!  I think this is one of those meds that needs to be taken in the am, unless you're working the midnight shift....  LOL!

Sorry you were up late, but that happened to me too, Deb.  I was on another med and did a quick taper and switch over, so I didn't get many side-effects, except for the energizing thing when I took it a night.  Won't be trying that again, either.....  I'm thinking it's a start-up effect, as the nausea.  I think remission had that, too.

Velvet,  I guess the alcohol tolerance is different, too.  I found out last weekend that it intensifies alcohol, and a couple of drinks, and you're   :hearts:  People come over to celebrate  our wedding anniversary, and I went to bed while they were still here.) Two drinks, I was very tired. I'm usually very active when company comes around, so they were like where is she going?    

Yesterday I was suppossed to go to 60, but was afraid that I'd have some kind of side-effect at work, so I opened one up, and dumped half of it out.  Those little balls in there are some powerful stuff!  I put half of it on a spoon, and chucked it down.  About 7 hrs. later, I had terrible stomach pain.  I know there are many viruses going around that manifest themselves like this, but I don't think I'll be doing that again!  I'm still chicken to try 60 all at once, and have to go to the mall today with my kids.  I better take one, before I chicken out.  ( I took it,  It looks just like a thirty, only bigger.)  Anyone else doing the 60mg., yet?

I'll keep you posted......    :wave:

Posted

Not doing so hot today.  Major step backwards.  The magic of starting and/or upping the dose has caught up with me.  Hopefully this is only a minor hiccup.  Today is definitely worse than while I was on no meds prior.  

Anxiety is high, mood very low, and feel wiped out.  Appetite is back (bad thing).  

Cymbalta for me has been like the weather; you don't know what is in store in a few more hours.

Posted

I took the 60 before 8am, and feel fine!!

Posted

Noticed a bit of queezyness off and on throught the day, but otherwise I'm feeling pretty well.  I'm able to think about stuff in my life (debt, school, career, etc)  that would previously have me hiding under my bed.  At 10AM took 60mgs cymbalta, 150mgs Wellbutrin-SR and 20 mgs Dexidrine Sansules.  Was pretty even keeled through out the day untl between 3 and 4 when I had the urge to nap hard.  I was due for another Dexidrine dose at this time anyway, so that pepped me back up.

Oh.  Yeah.  Ad the prozac is leaving my system I'm begining to think that this is going to have NO SEXUAL SIDE EFFECTS, or the wellbutrin is enough to counter any which might be there.  Regardless, this is a good thing.

I've broken down and pretty much ditched high-caffine beverages.  Coffee and Cola are gone and replaced by green tea which seems to scratch the caffine itch while still keeping me pretty chilled.  I've gone through phases where I'd easily drink a half gallon of green tea a day and felt much better as a result btw.  Now that the weather is cooling off, I guess it's time to break out the tea set.

Posted

I'm off to take another 60.  I sorta worried about it as I've had this stomach pain for the last 2 days, and don't want to get it started up again.  I hear it's another fine virus going around.  I know that if I don't take it in the realy am, it's going to keep me awake all night.  I was up until 2am the way it is.  Hope this side-effect goes away, too, or I'll have to ask the doc to lower it to 40.  

I understand where you're coming from about being able to take a look at things, that previously were upsetting.  I've spent lots of wasted time looking at things, too.  Now, I have the energy to do something about it....   :hearts:  My house need a facelift with Halloween coming.    :holloween:  So does my flowerbed!  I also procrastinate over paying bills.  I have lots of thing that I previously let go because I felt too tired to take of them.  I've even purchased some craft supplies!  Now, if I can get rid of this stomach thing..... :confused:  It's not nausea, either.  I haven't had that, yet.  Hopefully, I don't get it.  I just re-gained weight I lost with this depression, and can't afford to lose it.  It's been a long haul....

Posted

I'm still trying to make it with the after dinner time, altho last night it was a little later.

Posted

taffycat - I have been sleeping the sleep of the dead since starting Cymbalta. It has been wonderful as I was the same way as you. As for the nausea...if I were you I would try to take your dose with food to see if that helps.

Remission - I am sorry that you are having a bad time of it. Fatigue has been one of the most brutal start up side effects for me. It seems to be improving everyday though. Hang in there. Maybe you are coming down with something.

JKM - I have been having some bowel issues that last few days. I haven't decided yet whether it is just a fluke or the Cymbalta. I have actually been losing weight since I started Cymbalta. I am already down three or four pounds. I hope that you don't start losing as well, although I know that Effexor was causing me to gain so it may just be the change. I honestly hope so and I hope that I keep losing as Effexor caused me to gain 30lbs in less than three months.

VelvetElvis - I am glad that you are doing well. Me too!!

Effexor had some pain in the butt sexual side effects for me. It made it super hard to orgasm. Well, I have to report that last night I had two orgasms in the space of five minutes. Can it be true? Please let it be true! So, I am doing GREAT on all fronts!

Posted

I am ready to start cymbalta however my doc prescibed 20mg bid and my pharm is having a hard time getting it, how many ppl just started on 30 for 7-10 days and went up to 2 30s bid?? thanks for any imput :hearts:

Posted

She only had one other person on it, and told me Lilly is touting it for ALL kinds of things.

Posted

Neurontin was manufactured for epilepsy.  As time went on, it was prescribed for just about everything.  For a mood stabilizer, (which works well), to a pain med for various ailments.  My own Mother takes it for pain for residual shingles, and says she prefers it to addictive pain meds, but it knocks her out, all the same.  After awhile the drug co. was sued for their reps selling it for any reason.  One of the news talk shows did a segment on it about a month ago.

You're on this for mood stablilzation or pain?  Wellbrutin and Prozac are for depression.  Wellbrutin has an energizing effect, so it is used in conjunction for people who have tiredness to perk them up vs. people who have tons of anxiety and need something more sedating.

I decided to try Cymbalta, as I have tons of pain from arthritis, and the vague aches and pains that plague some depressed people.  Headaches, backaches, cramping in both my legs and feet.  I'm also going through the change and my doc won't give me anything for the symptoms, as I smoke and cancer runs in both sides of my family.  So far, the pain has had some reduction, but I've had that stubborn virus that gives on a bad headache, backache, and stomache, plus a few other things I won't groose you out with.  I have more energy than when I was on Lexparo, sleep better, and feel more awake.  I had terrible jaw clenching on Lexapro, which led to an almost constant headache.

Now, if I can get my physical health back, I'll see what's left.  I initially went on this while I was sick, as I was off on sick leave and figured it would be a good time to transition, since I was already sick.  As time goes on, I find that it's too stimulating, and I need to take it in the early am, or be up till 3am  It's covering the anxiety, and I was initially dx'd. with Panic Disorder, and now with GAD, so that's saying a lot!  I haven't had the stomach problems with it, either.  I've felt the zaps a couple of times, but that goes with most ad's when you are coming off one, and going onto another.    

:idea3:  You need to get on opinion from your doc about the med change.  It's so new, I'd think it may replace your antidepressants, but not the neurontin.  He might want you to take it with all your meds for all we know.    :hearts:

It's too new for anyone to have much of an opinion about.  I'm still finding out and hearing things, myself.  I don't know how it's going to be for depression.  If I get more energy and can sleep a deeper sleep, I have everything to gain.

Posted

I am ready to start cymbalta however my doc prescibed 20mg bid and my pharm is having a hard time getting it, how many ppl just started on 30 for 7-10 days and went up to 2 30s bid?? thanks for any imput :hearts:

Hi-

My doctor prescribed 20 Mg for me as well because I am sensitive to side effects.  It seems like many people are starting off at 30 MG, but that is because the free samples doctors get from the drug company are only in 30 MG lowest dosages.  From what I see in the forum, people seem to tolerate the 30mg well, but only you know how well your body will handle the med.

BTW -- I have not tried the 20mg yet, as the doctor switched me to Lexapro at the last minute.

Posted

After  10mg. of Lexapro for 15mo., I went down to 5mg. for 2 nights, and went right onto 30mg., for 7 days, then 60mg. for the rest.

Are you saying that you are on both?  I'm not understanding this.. :hearts:

Posted

thanks, Jkm, I have my pdoc appointment tomorrow. I will have plenty to discuss with her.

Posted

Day 4 for me on the 30 mg.  I'm still taking it after dinner, since that's what the pdoc said to do.  The nausea is still present, but just in the background.  I'm sleeping really well, actually overslept this morning, and only woke up once during the night.  Feeling really fatigued tho, and woosey - my normal start-up effects.  Headachy too, but don't know if that's just the time of year, or the meds.  Normal for me as well.

I'm thinking about taking it as soon as I get home from work.  I really like a glass (or more) of alcohol while I watch TV after dinner, and found it took about 2 hours to get into my system enough to **** that craving.

Hope that everyone else is doing well.           deb     :hearts:

Posted

We have quite a group going here!  I have to give us all the 'Hat's Off!' for trying a new med.

I'm sleeping much better and dreaming away, which is normal with a new med, but the dreams are interesting and not of the nightmare variety, which has been my experience with start-up from past 'new' ad's.  I feel refreshed, and this is much better than how I was feeling with my previous ad.   Maybe that was not as effective for me after 15mo?  I like the idea that I'm not having to take other meds for anxiety, like I did when I went on Lexapro.  This is covering my anxiety, too!

I think there are so many things we don't know about this med.  The first reason I got on it was because it's supposed to deal with the intensified pain that some people feel when dealing with a pain disorder and depression.  I have arthritis, and having to take doses of Motrin every day would set my stomach in an uproar.  I was on the med they pulled off the market the other day, too.  I quit it after 3mo., as I got no relief from it. I'm still taking 2 Motrin before I go to bed, but haven't had a 'flare'  that people get with the type of pain disorder that I have.  I'll have to wait till the weather gets damp to see what happens...

I'm on day 11. Still taking 60 in the am.  I case anyone is interested, I weigh 100lbs., which is very petite, so the milligrams seem to have little to do with weight, but more with the amount of depression one is dealing with.  I don't have the 'spaced-out feeling', either, but more of the tiredness that comes with depression.  I'm waiting to see if this is a start-up feeling, and am hopeful that it is....

:hearts: Mindless and Jumping Frog.  I hope that your pharmacy can get the 20mg. for you soon!

So far the start-ups seem to be an upset stomach for some.  I haven't had this experience.  It also seems to make some more sensitive to caffine, which can easily be substituted by switching over to 'caffine free' or  50/50, which I did for the coffee affection I have!   :bump:  Some find this too stimulating to take at bedtime, so people have moved that dose down to early evening.  I'm taking mine in the early am.  How are the rest of the group doing?

Remission, are you still out there?                        Jackie   :shocked:

Posted

Well, I too am joining the ranks of the Cymbalta group.

My first try was Wellbutrin. 9 weeks of hell. Next was zoloft. I've been on that for 7 weeks now. Don't like the s/e's but I could tolerate them if I was getting good results otherwise. But it's just not working for me.

Went to the doc yesterday. He recommended Paxil CR to try next and I asked him about Cymbalta. He said he hasn't precribed it yet but did attend a conference on it and I could try it if I wanted. So, I have an Rx to start on 20mg. 1x day for 2 weeks. Then up to 20mg twice a day. He said if i'm feeling pretty good in a week I can call the office and start the 2 tabs sooner.

He said I could make the switch from zoloft straight to Cymbalta because the Cymbalta works on serotonin too. I'll pick my up my Rx this affternoon and take my first tab tomorrow morning. I'm praying this will work for me. I don't know what is was with the wellbutrin that I could not tolerate but I hope it wasn't the norephinephrine....

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with this new drug. I'll be checking back and adding my own experience as well.