• Announcements

• Lindsay

Depression Forums Are Back Online!   02/09/2016

Hello Members! Please understand that this upgrade was huge and is a process that will be ongoing for a tad longer. Somethings may not seem 'right' or look a bit 'strange' at the moment, such as your profile page or "Quotes" etc.. Some things may not work as expected... for the time being, but please appreciate that we have to prioritize function over appearance. Eventually DF will all come together and be wonderful! It will be as if nothing had ever changed... As an afterthought...DF will be ACCESSIBLE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE
      Whether you’re on your smartphone, tablet or computer, access to Depressionforums.org/forums is right at your fingertips with our new upgrade. The
      refreshing, dynamic look translates across all platforms and devices.
      Come join up, become a member if not already! It’s free to post to your peers about anything that is troubling you.  We are certain there is a Forum for that. Tomorrow we will have a Forum set up for members to answer any questions that you may have about the upgrade. We really appreciate all of your feedback! Your Forum Administrators
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remission

Cymbalta

357 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post  

JKM -

I understand how difficult it is to be changing meds and work.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to work and on disability from my depression for over a year.  When it gets this bad, ECT becomes a viable remedy.

Remission

Posted · Report post  

I live right outside of the town that is known for Football.  I went to school there and graduated in 1970.  I work in town, but orange and black are not a part of my dress scheme.  My daughter is a cheerleader for a country school out of the city limits, and is in another division, so I'm a Cheerleading Momma', and I take a bunch of girls to classes up by Akron and 241 for cheerleading classes and tumbling.

I had tons of panic when driving, and I got on ad's so I would be able to drive them to competitions, and sleep at night and to stop being "Puff The Majic Dragon" with the anxiety attacks.

Posted · Report post  

Day one and all is well. I actually felt really energized except for the darned migraine meds that I had to take this am.

Remission - My gp is the one participating in the LEAPS program. I have been with her quite awhile and believe her when she says she has great hopes for the good Cymbalta can do. $300 bucks isn't much considering that she actually has to see me about three or four times in the next seven weeks. I am just please to have at least 7 weeks of free meds, especially if they work.

JKM - I am really glad to see you here. It is nice to be starting something new with such a familiar monicker.

Have a great night!

Posted · Report post  

My doc's apparently not in the study.  I took mine at 1:00 this afternoon, and fell asleep for an hour after feeling goofy for about 3hrs., got up and was fine.  Light, what time are you taking yours?  I'm going to 60 after 7days at 30.  Hope this works.  I was on Lexapro, and it kept the anxiety down.  My doc said this was so similiar, but it's supposed to help people with pain, so we'll see. So far, too early to tell, but worth giving it a chance.  Going to bed son.

Posted · Report post  

Howdy.

First time poster here.  I just registered for this discussion as I've been having trouble finding people talking about Cymbalta anywhere.  I started it at 30mgs a few days ago and am going to be going up to 60mgs shortly.  I'm dxed with depression, OCD, overfocused ADD, and GAD.  I'm taking it in conjunction with Wellbutrin, Serequel and Dexidrine.  I'm  currenly coming off Prozac and Strattera while starting the Cymbalta.  

The only noticable side effect thus far has been some nausea which comes and goes throughout the day.  Insomnia is a problem for me no matter what, so I can't comment on that.  I have to take serequel at night to make my brain shut up and leave me alone long enough to get some sleep.

One thing I like about it is how quickly it comes to effect, reaching optimal serum levels in a week or less.  After about a week at half dose, I can allready tell that I didn't realize how depressed I was before.  Now I have my figers crossed, hoping that it works to prevent overfocus on dexidrine so maybe I can finish up all these papers that are overdue by about three years and get my degree.

Posted · Report post  

Welcome Velvet!  Good to have you aboard of our growing group.    That is great that you seem to be getting some sort of positive depression benefit so soon.  Good luck with those papers.  I am waiting for Cymbalta to kick in too, so I can catch up on a few years taxes!

JKM - I too feel "goofy" / "unsteady" for a few hours after I take Cymbalta.  So far, it seems to be a variable by the hour kind of thing for me.

Light - I better understand the LEAPS benefit for you.  I did not know that you did not have drug insurance, and 7 weeks of Cymbalta retail is nothing to sneeze at.  I also did not know that you get three or four free GP visits out of the deal.  Not bad.  Please let us know how it goes.  Hope that it helps with the pain problems you are having.

Day 9 here, 20 mg bid.  Probably going up to 60 mg tomorrow.  Pdoc appt then.

Remission

Posted · Report post  

Remission,

Have you noticed any benefits with day nine?  I slept really well last night, and feel more energetic today.  Took the dose at 10am, to see if the side-effect would preclude me from doing my job, if I took it when I got up in the am.  So far, noticing nothing out of the ordinary....  Cool!  I was having the "mini ect-zaps" before I took the dose yesterday.  Brain wants serotonin!

Posted · Report post  

JKM -

Early on, my sleep improved and I was much more energized.  I did have some panic symptoms (one trip to the ER). In recent days, sleep is in a decline and the depression relief has deminished.  But, if I am going to respond, this course is typical for me.  Initially I get a up tick, then go into worse mode (and a holding pattern) until I know if it is going to help or not.  The most positive thing I can still say is the side effects are not near as harsh as Effexor for me.

Good luck!

Posted · Report post  

After I take it, I get a dizzy feeling in a couple of hours.  After that goes away, I'm fine.  During this, I feel like i could go to sleep.  have to fight that feeling.  I wonder if this the effect of having the   norepinephrine increase, I didn't kntice anything like this on  lexapro.  That had a nasty headache and stomachache going on as start-ups.  Lots of jaw clenching, too.  I have noticed a reduction in that already.  Thank the Lord!

Posted · Report post  

JKM - My doc told me that one of the things that her patients were reporting was that they felt energized and since I have been having insomnia issues lately we thought it best that I take it in the am which is the same time that I have been taking Effexor. There is enough in my life to keep me awake and I don't need a med to do it too! LOL! I took it yesterday more and was jazzed for hours. Hopefully this am will be the same.

Remission - Do you think that being at a lower dose could be why you aren't feeling the positive effects yet? I am curious to see what happens for you once you get up to 60mg. I do have prescription drug coverage it just isn't very good so saving the extra $40-60 bucks for a couple of months is good news for me. I can't wait to see if Cymbalta has more of an effect on my migraines. Effexor actually was a miracle for them for the first 4 months or so and then gradually started pooping out. My neuro wants to give botox injections a try, which I am open to so I am hoping that between the Cymbalta and the botox that I might start to live a normal life again. No pain and No depression...Woohoo!

Welcome VevetElvis!! Depression forums is a pretty special place. Be sure to check out the other boards.

Posted · Report post  

Gotta add...No need for migraine meds yet this am! I have had to take an abortive almost every morning for the last couple of weeks because I have woken up with migraine aura. Effexor had helped within 3 days so I have my fingers crossed.

Posted · Report post  

I didn't have problem w/ headaches prior to Cymbalta, but at least I have not added that problem since starting to take it.  Effexor did give me headaches.  Going up to 60 mg might be what is necessary for me to see a lasting antidepressant effect.  Based on my history of intolerance to many meds, I can't argue with a slower taper upward that I am on.  Again, tomorrow might be the day for me to go up to 60 mg.

Posted · Report post  

Somthign else I've noticed sine I started cymbalta is that the stimulant effects of caffine have been greatly intensified.  This isn't like the increased anxiety which sometimes comes with too much caffine.  The odd thing is that it's not boosting the effects of the Dexidrine I take for ADD.  Maybe caffine boosts norepinephrine whereas amphetimines work on dopamine?  

Anyone else notice this?

Posted · Report post  

Cymbalta makes me feel like I have had too much caffine.  The same energized (jittery) feelings.  I have not been able to tolerate caffine with or without meds in years.  I just stay away from the stuff, and "just say no."  With a past history of panic (in remission), caffine is something to avoid.

Posted · Report post  

VelvetElvis,

How long have you been on Cymblata, and what is you dosage, if you don't mind me asking?  Were you on any med previous that you tapered off from to this?

Posted · Report post  

Today would be my 6th day at 30mgs.  I'm going up to 60 after 1 week.

I started coming off Strattera (120mgs/day) about two weeks ago and prozac (60mgs/day) one week ago.  Since we're talking about NE here, I'll add that my response to Strattera was pretty atypical.  Once I went up to 80mgs it worked great, as well as any of the CNS stims for about a month.  It then pretty my pooped out and did nothing.  I went up to 120 mgs are waited another month.  Still nothing.  It ended up having about the same effect on me as a brisk cup of tea.  The odd thing was if I took Dexidrine or Focalin during this time it would make me real real sleepy.

The Strattera is probobly pretty much out of my system by now, but the prozac is going to be hanging around a bit longer.  That works out well as it's my understanding that the norepinephric action of Cymbalta comes to effect faster (full effect in 1 week) than the seratonic effect.  I think that's the oppisite of Effexor btw.

Posted · Report post  

Please let this start working in a week. I really need it too. I was sooo depressed today. I ended up in bed for the better part of the day unable to move except for pushing the buttons on the remote.

Posted · Report post  

I'm going back to work after being off for a week with a nasty viral infection.  I'm sorta leery about taking this, so I'm taking the bottle with me.   :hearts:  I also have a new boss, so This will be a great change.  This is day 5 at 30mg.  This week will be something!  I've been on Lexapro for so long, and am used to the effects, and being able to sleep a little better.  I haven't had too much anxiety, lately, and feel kind of dragging this morning.....  Monday is not my favorite day, anyhow!

Posted · Report post  

OK.  Today's my last day at 30mgs.  

Had a weird side effect this AM, not bad, just weird.  I got up, took my meds and went back to bed to snooze for a while, waiting for them to kick in.  I started having weird muscle spasms in my extremities.  There was a weird electrical feeling for a couple of seconds combined with a whole-body feeling that was somthing like a sneeze or micro-orgasim.  Not unplesent. Just weird.  The whole thing lasted maybe 10 seconds.  I don't know if this imeans I'm going to have more problems when I go up to full dose of 60mgs or not.

I have been tested for seizure disorders, and I'm fine in that department, so it's nothing like that.

Posted · Report post  

As expected, pdoc appt. today upped my dose to 30-mg bid.  Going to take my first 30-mg cap in about an hour.  Day 11 and CymBARFa has not kicked in for me yet.  Side effects are still less than Effexor.  

I was a little more irritable that my normal irritable self today.  Less panic symptoms today, but I am starting to get foggy and my mental abilities are suffering.  I got weighed today.  So far, I have lost a 1/2 pound per day on CymBARFa.

For sleep, pdoc offered Trazadone or Remeron.  I decided against being the very first person to start mixing other AD's with CymBARFa.  I am going with Cymbalta solo for at least 4 weeks, before I start mixing things up.  It gets too confusing when you start combo's and don't know what is doing what.

Here goes my first 30 mg.

Posted · Report post  

FWIW, you'd be at least the second.  I gave up on monotherapy a long time ago.

Posted · Report post  

CymBARFa, huh?     :hearts:  I'm not having any problems with it in that area, I've been on 30, and will go up to 60 in a couple of days.  What I notice is a burst of energy, then my vision gets kind of foggy for about an hour.  The 60 will come near the weekend.  Taking this in the afternoon is working out, as afr as trying to deal with the side-effects when the work load is lighter.  The irritability is present, but knowing why it's there is helpful.  I don't miss all the clenching I was experiencing on Lexapro.  My sleep is more restless than before.  Jury is still out.....

Can you take something for the stomach problem?  Are you feeling queasy, or just plain ill?  I still have the headache form the virus, and had a terrible headache when starting Lexapro, so I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem...like a tension headache.....where's the ibuprophen???      ???

Posted · Report post  

Glad you liked CymBARFa.  I still like it better the SideEffexor.  For me the stomach problems are mild and I can handle this.  I guess my depression symptoms are a little atypical, since I tend to eat more when I am depressed (with or without meds) and have gained 25 lbs. during this last episode.  Some one said that men often have increased appetite, rather then reduced with their depression.  Definitely the case for me.

In other words, the reduced appetite is (hoping) a good sign for me.  The recent panic like symptoms are a horse of a different color and not as easy to handle.  Although, if I go back 10 years to when I started my first AD (paxil) and it eventually worked, I had to get worse before it got much better.  Starting Paxil the first time gave also made me feel a little this way.

2 hours into my first 30 mg cap.  So far so good.  I thought stepping up might give me so problems.  Actually, increasing the dose was less dramatic then had I stuck with the evening 20 mg.  Time will tell.

Good luck at work and all your neurochemical adjustments this week.  Then you can experiment over the weekend.

Posted · Report post  

You make me laugh!  I do feel like a walking experiment!  I like to do these med adjustments at home, but my doc said this was very close to what I was on before....  I did have an episode of the zaps, today.  It reminds me of what is going on....   :idea3:  Remember Reddy Kilowatt?   :idea3:

Posted · Report post  

Hi all! Day four here at 60mg. I am feeling OK, I guess. The only complaint that I have is that I get really jazzed right when the Cymbalta kicks in and about four or five hours later I totally crash. I am so uncomfortable and fatigued that I can barely move. Could be a start up side effect or a withdrawl side effect from totally stopping the Effexor. I will definely give it some time and hopefully it is something that will pass. My husband has really started to pitch in which makes me feel like I can do what I need to to keep going. I have a decrease appetite...very good thing as I was gaining before I started this. It seems that so far I also have a decrease in cravings which is another really good thing that I hope continues. I am REALLY thirsty which is strange for me but good for me considering that I live in the desert and should drink far more than I normally do.

Just thought that I would check in and share what is going on with my Cymbalta journey.