Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remission

Cymbalta

357 posts in this topic

Posted

Well to see the doc yesterday and am starting on Cymbalta, hope I am doing the right thing (always second guessing myself..) Started on 30 mg Cymbalta with 5 mg lexapro for 2 weeks then 30 mg Cymbalta alone for one week after that.  She said that I should decide then if I wanted to go to 60 mg. or not.  Thanks to all for their posts about experiences, all were a big help on helping me to decide to give this a shot.

:D

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Let us know how it goes for you.  I was on Lexapro, and titered down to 5mg. for two night, then started on 30mg. of Cymbalta for five days, and went right up to 60mg.  I wasn't thrilled with the idea, either, and goofed around with the doseage-- but the Lexapro sorta pooped out, and every time I tried to titer it up, I got the WORST headache.  I had a mild headache the whole time I was on Lexapro.  I don't have it all the time, now.  I finally convinced myself that I could tolerate the 60mg. and started taking it, and didn't notice and side-effects at all.....      :)

I also wanted to add that I got on Cymbalta for coverage for a pain disorder.  For some reason, this all stopped working.  Not great, suddenly!  Three months is not great coverage....    :hearts:   The weather change has my pain way up there.  It could be caused by other things, but for different form of Arthritis, I thinking, this isn't working.  I thought if I took it with Motrin, I'd be set.

Now, back to the doc!

Posted

Have been on the 30 mg of Cymbalta for 2 weeks, no lexapro for one week.  Not sure how I feel, tired for sure but not really up or down kind of in the middle.  Will go a coupld of more weeks and see about going to 60 mg.  For those that have gone to 60 from 30 have you noticed any increase in sideeffects, sexual or otherwise? I don't want to go to a higher dose if I don't need to but also don't want to cheat myself by not going up, If I sound confused I am...

Thanks

:confused:

Posted

I didn't notice any difference in anything with the increase.

Posted

Been 2-1/2 weeks at 30 mg my emotions are all over the place. Woke up this morning angry, tonight feel like I could cry at the drop of a hat, plus feeling really tired.. I know that I am still in the "getting used to" phase and hope that this evens out.  I am still going to wait another 1 to 1-1/2 weeks before deciding whether to move up to 60 mg or not. At least I think so.. :confused:

Posted

Sorry you're having such a rough ride.  I came of Lexapro and went to Cymbalta, then had a virus, and my stomach was so messed up, I wasn't sure what was going on.  After a couple of weeks, things settled down.

Hope you feel better real soon!    :hearts:

Posted

I didn't notice any side effects going up either.

Posted

Daddo,

What does your doc say about this?  I don't remember having my mood shifting up and down.  Mine just stayed down......  Are you dealing with anxiety, too?

Posted

I don't see the doc until the end of January, she had just said that I could increase if I felt I needed to.  As far as anxiety, the ususal, financial stuff (never enough money), work is nuts, not able to take much time off.  Daughter is starting to date (almost 14 years old),  and other stuff.  I would say that I am pretty anxious, better than a week ago but still quite anxious.  Feeling real tired most of the time to, so I think depression is present right now?

Posted

I know the feeling.  We must be living the same kind of lifestyle.  I'm dealing with my Father dying, having to refinance the mortgage by my own neglect and lack of foresight,  A crummy employment situation, (no raises for 2yrs. as the last ceo stole tons of money and the agency borrowed; we're still paying back).  My DD will be 15 in Feb., cheerleads, constant stressing me out for $$.  Need I say more?  My Dh's job is slow in the winter....  Things are slowly being taken care of, but it's been a bumpy ride!

The 60mg. is getting me through most of this.  I'll call my doc if the anxiety comes back.  I'm trying to garner the energy just to get these things in motion that I have some control over, and it's difficult.  I'm still getting zaps in the am, right before and after I take the pill.  Maybe for about 2hrs.  Maybe it's from too much stress.....

Posted

Question:  Is DD = Dear Daughter, DH = Dear Husband?

I haven't gotten into much of instant messaging etc, so still trying to learn abbreviations...

You had mentioned you mood as being down, not up and down, with me the down manifests itself in anger and wanting to cry etc.  When I get down I just want the world to go away.. Have found exercise helps me alot. Have the next couple of days off (vacation day and holiday) so am going to try to have fun (not real good at that..)  

:hearts:

Posted

You have it correct.  Sometimes it feels like 'darned', though.  You know, at this age.

My Dad passed away this afternoon.  Like I said down mood.  I've been on antidepressants since he started to get to the point where his health was failing.  He's a peace, now.  There will be a lot to go through, but nothing as difficult as watching this happen.  The meds are keeping me together.

Posted

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father. No matter how old we are or they are it is hard.  I lost my dad when I was in my late 20's, now 47. My prayers are with you, do you have siblings to help with the things to come?  Sounds to me like the meds are helping but your strength is keeping you together.  Please try to hang in ((((()))))) (I think that means hugs?? :hearts::bump:

Posted

Thanks, Daddo,

This has been going on for quite some time.  I'm the strong one--I fall apart later!   LOL!  I have two brothers who are on the same page, but we'll have to see how it all works out.  My Dad had  various heart problems and had had differrent surgerys over the years, then they found he had lung cancer.  He was ready to go..  I think relief is the key word for the whole family.  It's not good seeing people you love suffer so.

Posted

Anyone on Cymbalta had any blood work recently?  I just got my labs today and my liver tests are elevated.  Since Cymbalta and Strattra are sister drugs, the Strattra scare about liver problems has me worried.  It took about two months on the drug for those on Strattra to show liver problems.

Posted

What does your doc want you to do with this info?

Posted

My pdoc was gone for the holiday.  My PCP sent me straight to the nearest emergency room.  They drew blood and everything else if fine, except my liver enzymes are still elevated.  They concluded that it was due to the Cymbalta, as Cymbalta is the only med I am taking.  They tested for Hepatitis too, which was negative to rule that out.  They reduced my dose from 60 mg to 40 mg and to get with my pdoc after the holiday to get totally off Cymbalta.

Just when something was starting to help.  Cymbalta was the first thing to help me in over 2 years.  I am not looking forward to what happens next.

I would recommend getting a hepatic profile after you have been on Cymbalta over a few months.  If you are the unlucky type to have a liver reaction, it genrally does not show up in lab test for 2-3 months.  You can see the problem when most of the clinical trials only last 9 weeks.  Too short a time for anyone to develop abnormal liver tests during the trials.

Posted

Thanks for this info.  I'll be sure to have my doc check on it, as I'm having trouble with one of my kidneys.  It's shrinking, but has been doing this for a couple of years, that they never told me about.  She said it may be the cause of my high blood pressure.  She was surprised no one never told me.  Well, now it hurts.  No other symptoms.  What next?  Maybe they'll try to baloon the arteries...

Posted

Feeling real anxious today, tired, projecting. Did increasing from 30 to 60 mg help others with anxiety. Have been on the 30mg for a little over three weeks.

Posted

My anxiety was under control by the Lexapro.  The couple of days I tapered down to five mgs., I could feel it.  When I went on 30, if went down.  Hope the 60 does this for you.  If not, ask your doc for something to help you out for a couple of months.  It took that long with the lexapro.

Posted

Oh well, was thinking of trying this stuff,but I already have elevated liver enzymes. Dont need anything adding to it.

Posted

I am probably the .00001% that got a rare spike in liver enzymes.  In addition, the increase could be unrelated.  I am getting a battery of tests to find out.  If they go back down with a taper of Cymbalta, then I can say it with more confidence.  The final verdict is still out.  My guess is I am just an unlucky rare event.

Posted

I asked my pharmacy team about liver problems with Cymbalta.  They agreed that it is not usual to test for elevations in liver enzymes because problems are rare.  Still . . .

Today I went from 30 mg to 60 and added 150 mg. of Wellbutrin XL.  I was doing OK on the lower dose of the Cymbalta, but it seemed to stop working.  Granted, the holidays are not my best time.  I was also getting a carb craving on the Cymbalta, and from my weight gain on Paxil, I know that's a big problem.  The doctor was concerned too, so he suggested the Wellbutrin to help dull my appetite.  I hope this combination doesn't make me jittery.  Is anyone else taking this combination?  Took the pills 3 hours ago and no headache or problems so far.  Just the first day, though.

Posted

Sumatra:

How long were you on the 30 mg dose before you bumped up to 60 mg? Did you have anxiety also?

thanks

:D

Posted

I was on 30mg for a couple of months, I think.  I had no side effects at all.   The only benefit I saw was that I didn't feel so overwhelmed with everyday tasks.  This is a major benefit for me.  However, I got depressed over the holidays and decided to go for an increase.  I was a bit jittery at bedtime, perhaps from the Wellbutrin.  I may do that one every other day.  Its only purpose is to try to keep the carb cravings in check.