Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Remission

Cymbalta

357 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

Started 20 mg Cymbalta today.  Too soon to tell a story yet.  Any one else giving it a try?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I guess I am doing Cymbalta solo.  Day 3 and upped the dose to 20 mg BID.  Not near as harsh as starting Effexor XR (done that 4 times before), but today I am starting to have some Effexor like side effects.  Besides the expected male sexual problems, I am a little foggy and reved up.  On to day 4.

Posted

Hi Remission

I have never heard of it. I just started back on Effexor last week. I had been on Wellbutrin for over a year. What kind of a med is Cymbalta? What side effects did you get from Effexor?

Posted

Hi Unquiet,

Cymbalta (Duloxetine) is a me too drug to Effexor (SNRI).  Check it out ---> www.cymbalta.com

Supposedly, Cymbalta is more balanced in reuptake of NE and 5HT than Effexor.  Meaning you don't have to go way up on the dose to get the NE to kick in, like Effexor.

So far I have noticed much less side effects with Cymbalta, then at anytime with Effexor.  Cymbalta just feels less harsh.  

Every time I started Effexor, the first few weeks were really hell. I would get such bad headaches and nervousness that I would need to just lay down quiet for a few weeks.  Effexor also gave me gas, jitteriness, sweating, foggy, and the antidepressant effects did not last well beyond 6 months.

What dose are you on at Effexor?  How is it going?  You took it before, why did you stop and come back?

Remission

Posted

Thank you for your thread, Remission!

There are many members who would like to know how you

are doing with this new drug..

Wishing you the best and please keep us posted!  :;):

~Lindsay

Posted

I appreciate your input, too, as I'm interesting in something that will help me with chronic pain.  I'm tired of Motrin, and have bad reactions with muscle relaxers, and hate pain meds....Ick!  I'd love to get this pain down, and not feel hazy instead.  I'd still like to have control over my head......LOL!  and not escape with sleep to avoid it.  I like Lexapro, thought, and am hesitant to go through new start up effects...Please keep posting!    :hearts:

Posted

Remission, I am eager to hear about your experience with Cymbalta.  I won't be able to take it myself because I tend to become very manic on that particular neurotransmitter scheme(Effexor XR).  I do have an aunt though that has maxed out on Effexor XR and has been awaiting the approval of Cymbalta.  Things are kind of turbulent for her right now since my other aunt has breast cancer so I think she is going to wait until she won't have to worry about needing to provide care on such a regular basis.  I hope though that she can make the change, because this new worry really weighs heavily on her.  What kind of history do you have with antidepressants in general?  I also wondered if body aches are an issue for you or if that had nothing to do with the choice of Cymbalta.  So many questions, but I enjoy hearing experiences and I appreciate all you have shared about transcranial magnetic stimulation.  Thank you.

Katie :wave:

Posted

Thanks all for your interest.  JKM - I do have many physical symptoms w/ depression, although I do not fall in the category of chronic pain.  I know what that is all about, having had back surgery 6 years ago.  The back surgery was a major success, just wish the same could be said about the depression, which is actually more disabling for me than my previous severe back pain (could hardly even walk).  I know your pain.  The jury is still out if the chronic pain benefits from Cymbalta are real, or if it is a slick marketing campaign in order to market it.  Clinical trials are one thing, but I imagine it will take a few years to see if it is really true or not.

Katie - I hear ya about your aunt and the timing issues about trying a new med.  That is a tough decision.  My history of meds is long.  All the SSRI's (except Luvox), TCA's, Remeron, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Serzone.  I have had very short trials of atypical antipsychotics and Lithium (could not tolerate them).  Tired rTMS and was labeled a non-responder.  Afraid of MAOI's.  Currently, they are again pushing for the dreaded ECT.

I did once have a partial response with Effexor in combo w/ Remeron.  Although it faded and/or I have some form of bi-polar illness that has not been properly diagnosed.

Too soon yet for me to form a solid opinion on Cymbalta.  Although, I can compare it to the start up of Effexor (started Effexor 5 times before).  The Cymbalta startup for me is about 1/10th as harsh as initiating 37.5 of Effexor.  Headaches are not so bad, not as foggy, less nervousness, no sweating yet; Effexor gave off a smell (in higher dose).  I continue to have problems with sleeping. Initially I had a spark of depression/anxiety relief, but that is quite common for me whenever I first start most AD's.  All in all, I feel I am going to be able to tolerate Cymbalta better than Effexor, but the verdict is still out if it is going to provide any significant relief for my depression/anxiety.  

Take care,

Remission

Posted

Hello,

I'm starting Cymbalta tomorrow.

Posted

Max, Welcome to our Forums! :hearts:

We have so many members here who are interested in Cymbalta and it's effects.

Posted

Max, thanks for volunteering to share info.  There aren't many people on the board who have tried Cymbalta so it is good to know that there are a few people here are bravely stepping forward and trying this new med.  Good luck with it.

Katie :)

Posted

Max -

Posted

I asked my doc about it today, and I'm starting it as soon as I cut down the lexapro..2days.  She gave me free samples and I start with 30mg. the first week, and 60mg. the second.  She told me they are using for lots of things....?I'll try anything to get this pain down, myself.  If I don't like it, I'll go back to the Lexapro.

Posted

Jkm - Glad you are giving it a try w/ me and Max.  Please let us know how it goes.  I got off Lexapro once, and it was not that difficult (compared to some other like Paxil and Effexor).  I plan to up my dose from 20 mg BID to 60 mg a day sometime next week.

Good Luck! :hearts:

Posted

I'm having the mild zaps from Lexapro disc.  I never had this with Paxil.  LOL!  It's no problem, but 'zap' there it is.  Guess my brain is wondering where the dose is.  I'm starting the new med tonight.  I'll take it early in case it zips me up.  The Lexapro put me to sleep.  I'm off from work, so it doesn't matter....

Posted

I am currently taking Effexor XR which has pooped out. I have been waiting for the arrival of Cymbalta to change meds because my doc thinks that it is the best next step for me because I have tolerated Effexor so well. I go in tomorrow to pick up my samples. Woohoo! I will be totally happy to share my experiences.

JKM - I suffer from chronic, frequent migraines. Effexor has actually helped to suppress them but is not working like it did in the beginning. I have high hopes for Cymbalta with both my migraines and depression.

Can't wait to hear the experiences and share my own. Think positive!

Posted

Remission,

I took the Cymbalta aboout 10pm, and went to bed.  I woke up around 12:30, and was fully awake till 3am.  I slept restlessly for a couple of hours, and got the children up for school.  I still feel wide awake.  Do you take yours in the am or pm?   :grinning:

Posted

JKM - I am taking Cymbalta 20 mg BID.  So I take on in the AM and one after dinner.  I get a weird feeling after I take it.  Usually, soon after, I get an anti-anxiety effect, and then later in the day it turns to worse then before I took the med.  I have had bouts of extreme anxiety, somewhat like a former experience with Wellbutrin.  

Today only marks 7 days for me.  So it is way to soon for me to be sure about anything with Cymbalta.

I can be very sure that for me, the start up on Cymbalta is much easier than Effexor ever was.  No sweating, no odor, no bad headaches, little fogginess.  I have had some initial sparks of antidepressant effects, but it comes and goes.

Since being able to tolerate a med long enough to give it a chance to work is 90% of my problem; I am encouraged that I will be able to stay the course to see it Cymbalta helps.  :suspect:

Remission

Posted

Well...I just took my first dose of Cymbalta. My doctor is participating in a study for Lilly and now so am I. We started straight away at 60mg. I am a bit nervous because we are not ramping me down off of Effexor and just switching straight over. My doc is not anticipating any problems with that be I am apprehensive just the same.

Wish me luck!

Posted

I went from Lexapro to Cymbalta 30mg. in two days.  My doc gave me sample boxes.  She told me to take 60mg., after one week.  I was used to the Lexapro putting me to sleep, and I took the Cym. before I went to bed.  I slept 2hrs., and woke up with the 'big eye"!   :hearts:

I was awake till about 3am, got up with the kids at 6am to get them out for school, and felt woosy all yesterday. I took a nap in the afternoon.   I didn't take any last night.  I'm thinking I need to take it earlier today, but don't want to feel like I'm on a chemical restraint..LOL!

Any suggestions?  I'm supposed to take one dose.  I have problems staying asleep.  Any recommendations wil be deeply appreciated.  I have to go back to work Monday.  I need to sleep at night, and not through the day.  Do you find this med to be energizing?  I slept like a ton of bricks last night, by the way!   :bump:  Yo- yo effect?   :shocked:   :shocked:    :blush21:

Posted

Lightbeing -

Welcome to the Cymbalta Club  :hearts:

I wish you luck and please keep us informed on your progress.  Starting at 60 mg does not sound uncommon, according to the clinical trials.

Yes, Lilly is paying doctors to jump start Cymbalta sales.  They are paying them $300 per patient that they get on the drug.  It is called the Lilly LEAPS program.  In order to get their $300, they have to follow the patient and fill out some questionnaires related to the physical symptoms of depression.  Honestly, I feel this is sort of controversial myself.

But hey, it is hardly that much different then other ways (perks) that the drug companies incent the psychiatric community.  I bought Lilly stock and hope that Cymbalta becomes a blockbuster.  It would be a bonus if it proves to be effective for me too.

Good luck!

Posted

My doc didn't ask me to fill out any papers!  I think WE should get the $$!    :hearts:  I live in Ohio, (NE)

I got a box of Lexapro pens off the Lexapro Man.  I also have tumblers...LOL!  What are these guys giving away?  $$ bonuses to docs?  I'll have to ask mine.  She only had one other person on it, and told me Lilly is touting it for ALL kinds of things.  I reminded her of the 'Neurontin scam'  and we both laughed.

Lilly stocks?  That's an idea.  I have money sitting in investemnts that is rotting away, for all I know.  I pulled one out a couple of years ago, as it was loosing $$ all over the place, I needed $$ myself with this poor economy.... :Oo:

I'll let you know what I see.  I work in a place that prescribes psych meds, and am used to the free lunches and courting the drug reps do.  I should be a drug rep!   :cool1:

Posted

JKM -

I can totally relate to your experience so far.  I can not be sure what the day has in store for me with Cymbalta.  Initially, I had an antianxiety effect and actually fell asleep in a chair watching TV two nights.  That is unheard of for me, as getting to sleep is very difficult for me.  Most days, after I take the pill in the AM, I get a tired feeling for a few hours, then later in the day it turns over to stimulation.  I get very restless and feel like I am taking speed.  Last night was very restless with sleep.  I wake up very stimulated, but not well rested.  I am tense and noticed that I am clinching my teeth.  Kind of like I am plugged into the wall socket.  ECT in a pill.

I do have some Antivan that I might start using to help take the edge of this excitement and I hope that this will lessen with more time under my belt.  Day 8 here.

Good luck everyone!

Posted

Since I'm only taking a dose one time a day, I'll have to give this some thought.  I really don't want to be asking her for a bottle of ativan to counter the effects.  She'll take care of me, though.  

I like the "ect in a pill" expression.   LMAO!  I had a day of zaps when coming off the Lexapro. I also had an episode of anxiety; I almost forgot how terrible that felt.  It went away as soon as I started the Cymbalta.  I guess the trade off was the  :Oo: 'big eye'.

How is this effecting you at work?  I don't need to have panic or  :hearts: when I go ack.  They know I'm changing meds, and will be making cracks--they're rotten in the office where I work. :rasp:

Posted

JKM -

We might be neighbors.  Akron, OH here.

Not all pdoc's are doing the LEAPS thing, some might not figure it is worth their time for $300.  They can only get paid on 10 patients enrolled, per doc ($3000 max).  It is an interesting marketing scheme, and I applaud their ingenuity.

I have not even seen my Cymbalta prescribing pdoc yet.  I had him call it in.  It will be interesting to see if he presents me with the "study."  I see him next week.  If he does, I have half the mind to ask him to split the $300 with me.  :hearts:

You can find information on the Lilly Leaps program by a google search.

I imagine I will be increasing my Cymbalta to 60 mg when I see my pdoc this week.  Not sure if it will be 30 mg BID or 60 qd.