Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Took Triple The Dose Of Zoloft

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

Last night I was feeling down and got no sleep. So I didn't care and I took triple the amount of Zoloft. I took 150 mg instead of my normal 50. Today Im feeling really sick. My whole body hurts, headaches, nauesa, weakness, no sleep, no appetite, and things seem kinda foggy at the moment. I know this will pass..just wondering if this will mess up my brain chemicals?

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#2 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

You really shouldnt be doing that. Tripling the dosage isnt going to magically make you feel better. I'm positive that no long term damage has been done, but like youve already said you are probably going to be sick for a little while. How long have you been on the 50mg? If it has been over six weeks I would go back to your doc and tell them that the current dosage isnt helping you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#3 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:18 PM

I was on 25 mg for the first 2 weeks and now 50 mg for 3 weeks.

- Christa Lynn

#4 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:24 PM

Have you noticed any improvement at all over the past 5 weeks? Dips are to be expected when going on these meds. I had them when I was going on lexapro and while I've been on cymbalta. Some days I could swear that the medicine had quit working on me but as more time went on the dips got less and less.

Brian

#5 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:30 PM

Also, if you are not sleeping well I would see if you can get something to help with that. How did you sleep before the zoloft? If it was well, its probably the zoloft. Oddly enough, these medications can cause insomnia which is the last thing most people with depression need. It could be a short term thing or it could stick around the whole time you are on the medication. Either way, there are very effective medications out there to help with sleep.

Brian

#6 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:39 PM

I have noticed some improvement with my depression, not my anxiety. I was never a great sleeper but I remember before the meds I was sleeping pretty good. Is there any sleep meds I can take that doesn't cause addiction ,becasue I was addicted to ativan and I used that in the past to sleep.

- Christa Lynn

#7 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 02:58 PM

Yep there a few that you could try. First off the top of my head would be trazodone. Its an old antidepressant thats not really used for depression anymore because it makes most people drowsy as heck. A dose of 50-100mg does the trick for most folks. The side effects are low and its pretty safe and its cheap.

Then you got your hypnotics like ambien and lunesta. Ambien is not really meant to be used for long term, but some people do take it long term. Lunesta has been approved for long term use. Personally, I prefer lunesta. These are classified as "non-benzodiazepine hypnotics"(benzodiazepines are your ativan, valium, xanax, etc) and have a very low addiction potential. You are more likely to suffer psychological dependence as in "I CANT SLEEP WITHOUT MY LUNESTA!!" than you are any physical dependence.

Then there is remeron, another antidepressant that in low doses is very sedating.

Then there is seroquel, an antipsychotic that is very sedating in low doses.

There's elavil, an old trycyclic that is sedating.

They have a new one out called rozerem that works on melatonin receptors and is non-addicting. I really havent found too many folks who have had much success with it though.

Brian

#8 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

thank you so much...I will bring it up with my doc :hearts:

- Christa Lynn

#9 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:38 PM

((((((Christa))))))

I do hope you won't do that again!

I was prescribed amitriptylin (generic elavil) to help me sleep, and it seems to help my anxiety & depression as well. There certainly are options that aren't addictive, and I can understand being cautious about that. It was a concern of mine, but my doc didn't even bring up addicting sleep aids.

Remember, your body has to adjust to the meds, and dramatically increasing/decreasing dosages will most likely shock your system. It's not a good idea to play with AD's as I'm afraid you've found out. As far as how it has affected you, well, I can't say, because I'm not a doc. It wouldn't hurt to talk to your doc about it, explaining that you'll never do that again, of course!

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 luvanimals

luvanimals

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:10 AM

I accidentally took a double dose of Zoloft a few years back. I was heading out for a vacation, took my meds before I left the house, and then in all the chaos, ended up taking another dose on the plane forgetting that I'd already taken them at home. I realized my mistake as soon as I'd swallowed the pills and braced for the impact which wasn't pleasant. I take 200mg of Zoloft so the 400mg that I got that day was pretty rough--especially since the max dose is usually 200mg.

You will be ok though. You've already said that you're planning on talking with your doc so as long as you do that right away, you're on the right track! I started on 25mg and was bumped up every 3 weeks until I maxed out at 200mg. Keep your appointments close together for now so that your doc can get you to the right dose as quickly as is safe. Hang in there, you will get where you need to be, it's just a little bumpy while you and your doc are figuring out what you need to take.

Is there any sleep meds I can take that doesn't cause addiction ,becasue I was addicted to ativan and I used that in the past to sleep.

I understand about the ativan, I have to be very careful with it. I used to take Seroquel as a sleep aid, and it did work for me, but when I decided to come off it, I had a rough withdrawal. I now prefer to use good old diphenhydramine to sleep. It's just Benadryl and doesn't cause addiction. Maybe that is something you might consider and talk with your doc about too.

:hearts:
I know you've got a little life in you yet, I know you have a lot of strength left...

#11 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:09 PM

Yes, talk to your doc about the Benadryl, because you'll need to discuss taking it every day. It's my understanding that taking some OTC allergy meds daily can cause your pulse to race. I had that happen on another OTC allergy med - won't do that again! I'm not sure if the Benadryl does the same or not, but it's worth asking.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:42 PM

yes I will ask him, but my appointment is not until another few weeks..I guess I can make another and discuss the Insomina..casue it's driving me nuts

- Christa Lynn

#13 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:23 PM

If your doc is very familiar with your situation, you might just call your doc's office and tell them that you can't sleep. My doc will call in prescriptions for me without an appointment sometimes for things such as that, but it all depends of course..... It's worth a shot! They may require you to come in for an appointment, though, especially since you're starting a new med.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 KeepingAwake

KeepingAwake

• Platinum Member
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

Diphenhydramine (benadryl) is a tried and true sleep agent. Just avoid any formulations that include other ingredients like a pain reliever or pseudophedrine. It's the pseudophedrine that causes the racing heart.

Diphenhydramine is out of your system in about 4-6 hours. It will make you drowsy but may not keep you asleep once it wears off. As it is an antihistamine, it is drying and may aggravate any 'drying' symptoms that you are having from the Zoloft like dry mouth.

However, as DeeBear said, it is always best to let your docs know everything you are taking--even vitamins, so they can keep track of potential interactions.

KA
Beliefs Aren't Etched in Stone... Unless Your Brain is Made of Rock

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users