Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Just Started Effexor Xr...how Long? Side Effects? Etc...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SUTHERN REDD

SUTHERN REDD

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hello,

I just started Effexor XR 2 weeks ago. I began on 75 mg and then at 1 week she wanted me to increase to 150 which I am now currently taking. Just curious how long it takes on this medication before you really begin to feel a difference. I know all med's are different in timing and I am wondering about this one....

Any information would be helpful =)
Thanks!
~ SUTHERN REDD ~

#2 Gonzo

Gonzo

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

It generally depends on the person, their health, tolerance for medication and any other medication they might be taking. I notice a slight difference after 3 weeks and the full effect after about 10 to 12 weeks. After 3 yrs on Effexor, I take 225mg daily and feel pretty good.
Brian
[We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools.]
-Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr
Posted Image Posted Image

#3 nero82

nero82

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:13 AM

Hi there,
a look at the poll in this forum about how long it took to help will show you how variable it can be. Personally I think because I went up to 450mg over about 3 years I can't gauge when it "started working", but at the end of the day, you can't doublethink yourself every few hours to see if you feel better. As for the side effects, make sure you get your pharmacist to print you off a sheet or at least look it up on the internet, so that you know if you are experiencing anything unusual.
As a bit of optimism for you, I now know 5 people including myself who eventually tried effexor, and for all of them it was the ONLY thing that worked. So if nothing else to far has helped you, this could be it. It can be a Barsteward of a thing to have to take, especially if you get side effects, but I can honestly say it saved my life.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep--
-- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#4 Joyce

Joyce

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 02:38 PM

Hi Sutthern,

I personnally have experienced very few side effects with effexor. Only things I had when I started was constipation (which is easily treatable) and more tired. A bit lethargic at first but eventually I was more able to focus. For me, the ideal dosage is 75mg. But we all are different. My cousin take effexor and cant take more than 35mg.
The only problem I experienced after years was I had palpitations and a loud and often fast heartbeat. I stopped (tappered) and it was disastrous. I tried many meds after with no avail. So decided to give effexor a try again and it seems my heart is fine now.

I take it for GAD mostly. I wasnt depressed but of course the GAD brought on a bit of depression (well...duh). It does goes hand in hand in the sense that when you have GAD and physical symptoms (which I have) it does get to you.

Anyhow, I recommend it highly and be patient. It took me a good 3 months the first time around to be 100% better. It was little by little that I noticed a difference.

Joyce
Posted Image

#5 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:01 AM

most initial start up side effects can be: dry mouth, feelilngs that light is too bright, headaches, constipation, some muscle twitches, sweating, vivid dreams. Most if not all will disappear after a few days to a few weeks.

The only side effects that I still get are some sweating and the vivid dreams.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#6 carriepeary

carriepeary

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

I've only been on it for a week almost now (37.5mg for now) and I can say that I've notcied a small difference already, not big, but enough to have hope for it.

As for me, the only side effects I'm having is a very small cotton-mouth feeling (but it's going away every day so far), trouble focusing for the first three days, and i seem to be a little more tired than usual, but it's nothing big or scary.

I hope it works for you!

#7 greybird2003

greybird2003

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:25 PM

Hi there,
a look at the poll in this forum about how long it took to help will show you how variable it can be. Personally I think because I went up to 450mg over about 3 years I can't gauge when it "started working", but at the end of the day, you can't doublethink yourself every few hours to see if you feel better. As for the side effects, make sure you get your pharmacist to print you off a sheet or at least look it up on the internet, so that you know if you are experiencing anything unusual.
As a bit of optimism for you, I now know 5 people including myself who eventually tried effexor, and for all of them it was the ONLY thing that worked. So if nothing else to far has helped you, this could be it. It can be a Barsteward of a thing to have to take, especially if you get side effects, but I can honestly say it saved my life.

I have tried Zoloft, Wellbutrin XL and now Effexor and by far Effexor has worked the best for my Depression and Anxiety. I am at 300 mg

#8 BookEater

BookEater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 18 November 2007 - 01:04 PM

I know everyone is different but I hope this is true for me. I started my Effexor XR yesterday after being prescribed a week ago (it always takes me around a week to get up the nerve :hearts: ). I'm hoping this one works and the SEs are minimal enough that I don't feel even more miserable.

BookEater
No change, no pause, no hope! Yet I endure....

#9 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:00 AM

Did not sleep at all the first night and the one side effect I did get was sexual dysfunction. I am a young man of 25 years and I met this side effect with sheer horror. :hearts: Seeing as I am taking this med for anxiety, this instigated a huge panic and depression where I am hanging at the edge of a cliff face and about to let go. I can't take the thought of them lasting longer, or expecting them to go - my system is going crazy. I can't even see or speak to a doctor until next week.
Beating depression since 2007

#10 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

Hi there,

That sounds good. I'm just starting on Effexor today !!!!
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#11 psychocandy

psychocandy

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

Did not sleep at all the first night and the one side effect I did get was sexual dysfunction. I am a young man of 25 years and I met this side effect with sheer horror. :hearts: Seeing as I am taking this med for anxiety, this instigated a huge panic and depression where I am hanging at the edge of a cliff face and about to let go. I can't take the thought of them lasting longer, or expecting them to go - my system is going crazy. I can't even see or speak to a doctor until next week.

I've been on Mirtazapine for the past 6 months and I dont think there are any sexual dysfunction side effects with that, so it may be worth trying if thats a big issue for you.

Personally, didnt work too well for me...
"Every day when I wake up I thank the Lord I'm Welsh" - Catatonia

#12 rgeyer

rgeyer

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi Joyce,

Did you experience palpitations while you were on effexor or after you got off? I was on zoloft for 6 months and started experiencing palpitations about two weeks after quiiting. I just started Effexor and they have miraculously gone away?

Ronald

#13 pandora42

pandora42

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:17 AM

I am wondering the same thing,my husband was put on 37.5 of effexor 4 weeks ago and it hasnt helped his depression,tomorrow the Dr is supposed to double it but from what ive been reading I'm not so sure that 75 mg will even be enough to help although I am aware that everyone is different.
I posted in the new members section but I will repost it here so you have a backround of what I am dealing with.

Thanks and have a great day,
Pandora

Hello,

My name is Stacey and this is my first post here.I am not the depressed person although I believe I am well on my way for what Ive been through and am going through.I will start by saying that 9 days ago my husband told me that he isnt happy,hasnt been happy for a long time and is considering leaving our marriage.About a month and a half prior he told me he was depressed but assured me it wasnt me so I told him to go to a Dr and maybe meds will help,ect. So he did that and about 4 weeks ago he started effexor but he is only on 37.5 mg a day which has helped his racing thoughts at night but its done nothing for his depression.This week he goes back and they are supposed to double it but Im not even sure that is the right dosage or if its even the right drug for him.
A day after our discussion he says he never thought of marriage counseling because he didnt feel I was doing anything wrong..but he wants to go and try to work things out.He told the counseler that he loves me very much and wants to work it out.He says he loves me but no matter what he does nothing makes him happy,he is depressed at work and everywhere else as well.We have a 2 year old son that he says even playing with him at times can be greatly difficult..although I have to say he is an excellent father.
About 4 months ago I got sick and have been on and off meds(for my stomach) and in and out of the ER,doctors ect and still no diagnosis.I was up alot at night so started sleeping on the couch so I didnt keep disturbing him and the baby from getting up and down all night.
Anyway let me back up.. he said hes been depressed over a year and its happend before where he'd get into funks but he would snap out of it but he isnt snapping out of it this time.When he started seeing the psychatrist a month ago he told my husband that he believes he has been depressed the past 20 years.My husband told me this has happend before he met me so it may not be me but he only works and comes home...he changed possitions in his job to see if that helped and it didnt so thats what makes him wonder if its the marriage.He dosent want to get divorced but he is desperate to feel better.
We never fight and never in my wildest dreams did I think this could happen.I thought I would be with this man the rest of my life.He says he feels numb,emotionless..cant show hapinesss or enthusiasm and he dosent know why.
After our discussion I started sleeping in the room again and we got intimate a few times and it was wonderful just as it always has been.He told me its been really nice having me next to him again.
By the things he says I want to believe he loves me and is just depressed but how do I know if he is unhappy because he is depressed or depressed because he is unhappy? I love him enough to let him go because I want him to be happy..the marriage counseler said she dosen even believe we need counseling that its obvious how much we love eachother that she thinks his depression needs to be treated properly.She also said that she believes he would become so much worse not better if he left the marriage.
So that is where we are now..he wants to continue counseling and trying the meds.He is aware that he may need to try different meds and dosages to find what works for him.If things still dont work out he wont be running out the door we will start fixing things in the house then get it on the market and once it sells we would get seperate apartments.I dont even want to think of that though because I still love this man as much as the day I married him.

A little backround about us:
We met on the internet in a chatroom back in 1998,me living here in New Jersey and him 3000 miles away just outside of London,England.We had a long distance relationship for a year,he visited me 4 or 5 times and I went to the UK once.After a year we went through immigration and got his visa and in April 99 he moved here to America to be with me and in June 99 we were married.
We fought so hard to be together,we survived a long distance relationship and alot of negtivity that it "won't work"
We have a gorgeous little boy that we planned and love with all our hearts along with my 3 that I had to a previous marriage.
We have been through so much together I dont want to give up on us now.But I dont want to force myself on him either,while my heart feels smashed in a million pieces I still have my pride.

I also want to say that I am no stranger to depression..my 25 yr old daughter is bipolar.She is doing pretty well,she works every day and has a wonder and understanding fiance that is so good to her,they are getting married in Sept.She takes lamictal.
I also hve a severly bi polar brother that I could write a book on but since Ive already done that I'll just keep it as short as possible.
5 years ago my Mom died of emphasema,my brother took it really hard and he also had just went through a divorce.2 months after on Christmas Eve he shot himself in the head right in front of my father.Miraculously he survived..he spent 4 months in the hospital..3 in a coma.He unbelivably has no brain damage whatsover but is permanantly blind.He still says he had no plans on doing it and still dosent understand why he did.

So yeah...I should be on my way to the funny farm,Im trying to hold myself together.Im praying for a miracle here that the meds help my husband and our marriage but I feel like Im in limbo.
I know Im not the depressed person but Im really happy to be here so I can learn things and maybe get a better understanding for what I am up against.

Thank you to those who have read this,Im sorry its so long.
Have a great day,
Pandora

Hello,

I just started Effexor XR 2 weeks ago. I began on 75 mg and then at 1 week she wanted me to increase to 150 which I am now currently taking. Just curious how long it takes on this medication before you really begin to feel a difference. I know all med's are different in timing and I am wondering about this one....

Any information would be helpful =)
Thanks!

#14 lestat

lestat

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:51 PM

Hi Pandora,

It sounds like he is looking for reasons as to why he is depressed. I think it is quite common to blame it on external factors. So we try change our environment hoping that it will change, but something else always come up and we think "I know now what it is it's this!!!", only to find that we feel no better when that particular thing is changed.

An important step with recovering from mental illenss I think is accepting that sometimes depression/anxiety is exactly that, it IS DEPRESSION or ANXIETY. I think when he accepts that he is depressed then he will sotp trying to change his environment and start seeking happiness within. I've spent many years dealing with anxiety/depression initially I though it was things/people in my life that made me feel like crap, after changing many things I realised I didn't feel any better, and my worries and sadness would only be directed towards something new.

Hopefully therapy and meds will help him see that you aren't the problem, the Depressoin is the problem.

Your personal history and knowledge of mental illenss has already rpepared you well in coping with this, so you're already a step ahead a lot of other people in similar situations.

I wish you the best.

#15 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:57 PM

pandora
because your husband has been depressed for so long ,the reasons aren't you or the marriage. It possibly has something to do with childhood and adolecence. It sounds like your husband is suffering from Dysthymia, which is low to medium depression which lasts at least 2 years and can last for many years 20+.

i think your husband would possibly benefit from his meds being upped, 37.5mg is areally low dose and is not considered to be the most therapeutic level (225mg or 300mg is). Also it takes about 4, 6 or 8 weeks before you get the full benefits from Efexor, once you are at the correct dose. So I think he has some way to go.

Also i think that talking therapies may help him.

I'd also try and persuade him to not make any drastic changes to his life, like breaking up. Let him know that you support him and love him and hopefully he will get better. it will take time. Ask him to give you the time. Keep talking to him.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#16 Joyce

Joyce

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 10:01 AM

Hi Joyce,

Did you experience palpitations while you were on effexor or after you got off? I was on zoloft for 6 months and started experiencing palpitations about two weeks after quiiting. I just started Effexor and they have miraculously gone away?

Ronald

Hi Ronald,
Sorry for the delay. I dont come around as much :hearts:

Well, if I remember correctly it got worst when I went down from 75 to 37.5. That is where it got worst. And I eventually had blood tests done which my psych wanted me to get done (you need to be checked regularly when you take medication, from what I know) and I had a bit of hyperthyroide caused by the medication. I had stopped and everything went back to normal (heart wise) but my anxiety symptom kicked in and I had to start again. I tried other medications and it just didnt work for me. Only Effexor makes me feel more 'normal'. Been on it since around September and i'm now fine. Crossing my fingers.

I know that each person react differently to ADs. I'm glad you are doing good but I do know that some people and its rare can have a problem with their thyroide due to Effexor but the percentage is very very small and unfortunately I was in that little percentage. But it can be monitored.

But now everything seems to be back to normal and I wouldnt trade Effexor for nothing else. Since I tried everything else!

Let me know how you are doing now?
Joyce
Posted Image

#17 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 11:48 AM

Joyce:

Happy to hear that you've found success with Effexor and that things are going well for you.

Please update us from time to time. We do care! :hearts:

:bump:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#18 Joyce

Joyce

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:02 AM

Joyce:

Happy to hear that you've found success with Effexor and that things are going well for you.

Please update us from time to time. We do care! :hearts:

:shocked:

-Bean

Thank you Bean. I know you do care but somehow I tend to feel isolated and also not always up to talk about what I'm going through.

Well, I am on 75mg Effexor but I have to go down as it is too strong for me. I saw my psych this last week and we agreed to that because at 75mg I tend to lose interest in everything and do become more depressed.

It is quite an emotional roller coaster adjusting to the right dosage. I get really desperate at times. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired :bump:
Posted Image

#19 scarletquill

scarletquill

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:03 PM

I had the night sweats thing...still do actually and I am on day 4 of the 37.5 mg dose that I'm starting out on. And sore ears and sore throat. I hope it goes away because the first day or two I was feeling fantastic.
~Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away~
- part-time student & full-time dreamer -
- film and theatre fan -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users