Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Lamotrigine

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

Thanks Cat and Lisa,
Im going to call my doc tomorrow just to let her know whats going on.

Lisa,
Im sorry your feeling so bad.Hopefully the extra sleep helped.
hope tomorrow is a better day. Let us know how you are doing.
                                            Cat :hearts:

#2 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

I was on Lamictal for a long time.  I took it in conjunction with Topomax.  I was on a doseage of about 450 mg I believe when I had to go off it and switch to Abilify.  According to many I've talked to here, that's a pretty high dose, but it's within normal limits according to the PDR, so I wasn't concerned.  

I really enjoyed being on Lamictal the entire time I was on it, and only had a few breakthrough mania bouts, which were taken care of by upping my meds and/or adding another mood stabilizer temporarily.

I wish you luck, Bebo... and sorry someone didn't answer you sooner, hon

wishing you love and laughter,
cat :hearts:

#3 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:26 PM

Cat and Lisa,
I think that since you're both experiencing stomach problems and some other things... that perhaps asking your doctor about taking it at night would be a good thing... that way, perhaps you'll get past the worst of your side effects, AS YOU SLEEP?  My pdoc tried this line of thinking with my Topamax, making my trouble with word retrieval better.  We just stopped the daytime dosage that was making me cloudy, and stuck to a nighttime doseage hoping that the worst of it would come while I slept....

worked like a charm! :;):

Might ask your doctor about that.  I remember I took mine during the morning, but my son takes his at night... so, go figure.

#4 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hi all,

I am taking neurontin but I have read several good things about lamactal and wanted to know if anyone has tried both of these.  I am taking the neurontin as a mood stabilizer along with paxil for depression but I have so much fatigue and I heard lamactal was supposed to be energizing.  Any experiences would be appreciated.

thanks
bebo

#5 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 02:05 PM

Hi I am Cat and Cat - the two cats!  Thanks for your words of encouragement, I'm still giving the Lamictal a chance, Cat I take it first thing in the morning, like pdoc told me.  I've since read that Lamictal can make you tired.  Sleeping in until 9:30 this weekend, both days really helped, can't do that on a workday though, bummer!  I got stomach cramps with it to.  I've relapsed because I quit the Paxil, and have been so depressed the last two days it isn't funny, not at all.  What am I to do?   :hearts:  Oh well, I do hope this finds you both well.  It really does help talking to you two about this!  Take care,

Lisa
"Love's A State of Mind" - SN

#6 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:52 PM

Almost six weeks on lamictal (up to 75mg for the last week) and I dont really know what it is doing since I am trying to come off provigil at the same time.  Is there an average dose for lamictal if you are on other meds (paxil, neurontin)?  Thanks,

bebo

#7 Anna-Karina

Anna-Karina

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 07:57 PM

Lamictal can be activating for some people. Maybe your heart is just going a little faster. As long as you don't feel too anxious, that side effect should go away soon or it may just occur everytime you increase the med (because you have to titrate it slowly).

I hope the med helps you. :)

Anna-Karina

I told another lie today
And i got through this day
No one saw through my games
I know the right words to say
Like "i don't feel well," "i ate before i came"
Then someone tells me how good i look
And for a moment, for a moment i am happy
But when i'm alone, no one hears me cry
~ Superchick, Courage ~

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:55 AM

I'm on day 3, feeling ok tho I can hear my heartbeat real clear, seems to be beating stronger lol maybe i'm worried bout nothing, how is taking it for all you?

#9 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:04 AM

Daddo,
I was only on it for 12 days. I noticed a spacey(dumb) feeling the 1st week.Other than that just most of the above. Good. luck on this med.

#10 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 01:17 PM

My sister is BP and on Lamictal too - 200 mg. but she's almost 6 feet tall.  I'm sorry that you had to go thru 11 years of hell, and hopefully this will help out - it's helped her.  Let me know how you do!   :wave:

Lisa

#11 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 11:06 AM

Hey Las,
We are hoping I can get by with 100mgs.Im being treated for Bipolar (newly diagniosed)For 11 years Iv been fighting what I thought was depression/anxiety.I guess thats why I flipped out on most of the meds they had me on. Thanks for your replies. :) It helps!! :)

#12 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:19 AM

Hey Cat!  It sounds like you've got the "Lamictal headache" - I had that for awhile but it went away after maybe 2 weeks?  I didn't have a drunk feeling, probably because I was on 300 mg. of WB, and this Paxil is kicking my tail!  Very sedating and makes me REALLY tired in the a.m., but has helped a little.  Even taking 200 mg. of Lamictal hasn't helped me get any energy today.  Did your pdoc say how many mg's he wants you to work up to?

Lisa

#13 Daddo

Daddo

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 07:23 PM

What kind of side effects has anyone experienced on this medication.  I am currently taking depakote but don't like the dull, dumb feeling that it gives me.
thanks
Fred

#14 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 August 2005 - 01:06 PM

Cat,
when do you think is the best time to take lamictal? I Take mine 1st thing in the morning.Would evening be better or would that interrupt sleep?

#15 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

Well, my very 1st post!  I just started Lamactil 3 days ago, still on the WB and a little neurontin when I need it.  Anyone ever feel "fuzzy" or tired when they first started it and any stomach upset?  I swear, I've tried every other medication and this is probably the end of the road for me, meds wise, don't think there's any others I can try!  Does it really work on depression?  I'm feeling really irritable today and you know the vicious cycle - then you feel guilty about being witchy and just want to strangle your ownself!  How long does it usually take to feel a difference?   :help:Thanks much!

#16 bebo

bebo

• PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:18 AM

Hi all,

I have been on lamictal for awhile now and it seems to be doing good for me.  It has helped with the tired feeling I get from my paxil and it seems to help with the depression also.
I wish everyone well - I like this med so far!

bebo

#17 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

Hi
I am on day one of Lamictal.I feel fuzzy! Hows everyone else who is still taking lamictal doing????

#18 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:15 AM

Hi Cat!  I felt fuzzy at first, and then more energetic as I kept taking it.  I'm up to 100mg. and by 8/2 will be on 200 mg.  I'm taking it for depression, and it has been said that it can help with that, aparently I'm not taking enough yet. I found when I went from 25 mg. to 50 mg. that it was harder to sleep at night.  I guess you just have to give it time like the other meds.  Let us know how you do on it.

#19 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:21 AM

Hi Las
Just like you I have been on many medications and Iv said to my self this is my last attempt.Aahh Id probably try again but I pray this one is it! What was it like going from 50 to 100? thats seems like a big jump. .Please let us know how your doing on 200mgs. :)

#20 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 10:39 AM

Cat:  The first morning that I went from 50 to 100mg I got a very slight rash and then it went away.  The jump seemed to give me more energy, but since I'm so far dddoooowwwwnnnnn in this depression, my pdoc just added 12.5 mg. of Paxil at night to hopefully help me climb out of it, and he said that he thinks the 200 mg. will really help me.  Like you, I said that this is my last attempt at meds!!  My sister is on 200 mg. of Lamictal for BP and it helps her.  Wishing you a happy day!

Lisa

#21 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hi Las,
Im on day 4.Do you or did you experience a kinda drunk feeling about an hour after taking it? I dont really like the way im feeling physically,slight head ache and muscle aches.But whats strange is that from day 1. Mentally I felt better. More at ease.as if my head has been cleared  of the useless
troublesome thoughts.Hope you doing ok on paxil so far. :)

#22 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:02 PM

Thanks Las,
Hope your feeling better today. :)

#23 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

Hi Cat!  I quit taking the Paxil last night because I was soooo tired and lethargic all I wanted to do was go home and sleep.  Today I have more energy and haven't felt down YET.  No rash or anything since I increased to 200 mg. of Lamictal, hope you don't get "the rash" and can stay on it.  How's your headache and muscle aches?

Lisa

#24 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:23 AM

Hi Las,
Sorry the paxil didnt work out for you.Are you going to try a different medication? Hows it going on 200mgs of Lamictal? Im on Day#7 25mgs. Everyday is a new experience.Nothing to severe but last night I felt so weird. I was just lit!Felt like my eyes were going to pop out of my head!My head was spinning.I had a small glass of alcohol to calm down and it did help.Today the headache is back (maybe from the alcohol!)Im feeling pretty mellow today.My head is kinda in the clouds.Im alittle scared to up my dose next week.   :hearts:
                                                        Cat :bump:

#25 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi Cat!  If the deep depression comes back, I'm sure I'll have to try one of the very few remaining meds left to me!  I'm wondering why at 25 mg. you're getting dizzy, that can be a side effect.  I think you're getting the "lamictal headache" which should go away soon.  I had a glass of alcohol last night too, and it really affected me, got a little tipsy.  I'm happy to hear you're mellow, you'll probably be more so at 50 mg.  I'm still very tired, I'm going to look again at description of lamictal and see if this can be a side effect.  Hang in there and stay in touch!

Lisa

#26 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2005 - 12:33 PM

Be patient guys... when I was on Lamictal, I was on 450 mg of it!  and I'm a little shrimp of a thing... i mean, I'm 5'7", but my bout with anorexia is no secret, so sometimes it doesn't matter about your weight and the mgs... sometimes it's the severity of your mania!  and what you're taking it with.

my teenage son is quite a bit taller than I am, still very thin, but is only on 200 mgs... and it's working well for him so far.

I wish you all luck, love and laughter....

(and never say never on the meds thing... BP is a lifelong disorder... remember that!)

:hearts:

#27 cat

cat

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 06:47 PM

Hey las,
How are you feeling today? On and off meds, up dose ,lower dose.   :bump: :) :hearts: :shocked:  :shocked: What a rollercoaster,Huh? Every day I have a different side effect.Today ,Its stomach cramps.Still feeling clumsy.I know its got to be the meds.I wish this stuff would balance out before I have to go up to 50mgs.Iv really got my hopes up for  lamictal to be the one.Take care :)
                                                  Cat

#28 LAS

LAS

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 11:09 AM

Bebo, glad it's working for you!  It couldn't overcome my fatigue with the Paxil, but happy to hear it's doing it for you!  Hang in there!

Today is the 18th - went to Pdoc and we're increasing Lamictal to 200 mg. in am and 100 in pm, and will continue neurontin as often as I need it.  If this doesn't work in 2 weeks, he'll take me off the Lamictal and will start me on cymbalta.  From what I've read about cymbalta, it's kinda like Effexor, which worked well for me until it quit working.  It seems like the Cymbalta has a lot of side effects though.  Goodness, I hope this works!

#29 ka11ey

ka11ey

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:38 AM

I was on 200mg of Lamictal, and had no S/E at all. We decreased it to 100mg when we added my Depakote.  The Lamictal took away my depression and the Depakote just stabilizes me- it's a nice combo- but I take Neurontin and Remeron too. :hearts:

~Kalley

#30 Guest_I am Cat_*

Guest_I am Cat_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:13 PM

((((((((Ka11ey))))))))) Hey girl! I've seen you around here the last week or so, it's so nice to see you again!  Come by the Cafe if you get a chance!  You're missed!

That being said.... I'm so glad that the Lamictal is working for you  Looks like you've got quite a big combo there!  Wow, but I'm glad it's working.  I'm no longer ON Lamictal, but when I was, it worked well, with little or no side effects... I took it combo'ed with Topomax, which is notorious for word retrieval problems.  And it definitely has a "dumbing down" effect, but I love the med.  It works very well for my mania (when I remember to take it)

Daddo... you shouldn't get any of the dumbing effect with Lamictal... but your doctor didn't put you on Lamictal did he?  I can't remember what you said he put you on..... (blame it on the Topomax.) LOL!

My son just recently switched to Trileptal because of sores in his mouth.  Can't be too careful with that rash thing and Lamictal. :hearts:

Good luck everybody!

Cat

#31 sjn27

sjn27

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

Hey!

I'm on day 2 of Lamactil for the same thing as you. How did yours go? Are you still on it? I'm feeling really really tired. Did that go away? Can you please tell me about your experience on it?
Serena

<font color='#000F22'>Hey Las,
We are hoping I can get by with 100mgs.Im being treated for Bipolar (newly diagniosed)For 11 years Iv been fighting what I thought was depression/anxiety.I guess thats why I flipped out on most of the meds they had me on. Thanks for your replies. :) It helps!! :)
                                                            Cat :hearts:</font>

#32 Guest_mooodybones_*

Guest_mooodybones_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

i started on 25 and moved up to 200 , i feel sick on my stomach, nervous and dont sleep that much. i went from being very hyper last week to really depressed this week. my boss told me that i look really tired and worn out, i was on symyax prior to this and i wonder if i came off it too fast and this drug isnt in my system good yet. i have had some thoughts like going far away. i have felt at times like i dont care if i hurt the people i love or that love me. how long does it take for this med to take effect and make a difference in the way you feel?

#33 Xephon

Xephon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 10:17 PM

I am on 300 mg of lamictal per day. I am forced to stop taking lamictal due to being poor and not having health insurance.

Has anyone gone off lamictal cold turkey before?

I am VERY concerned about withdrawl affects. I hope somone can tell me what I may expect.

Thanks, I'm scared and trying to find a solution...
It is only for the sake of those without hope that hope is given to us.
-Walter Benjamin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users