Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft Making Me More Depressed!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:26 PM

I am a 35 year old male, 150lbs body weight. I have been on Zoloft for 3 weeks now. During the first week I took 25mg per day. Since then I have been taking 50mg per day. I take it with my evening meal.

So far I have noticed:-

(good) I am more relaxed and a bit sedated. The feeling is similar to taking a sedative.

(bad) My powers of concentration have lessened. Again similar to taking a sedative. Reflexes are also worse.

(very bad) I am very lethargic and tired constantly. I just don't feel like doing anything. I just want to be still and motionless. It takes a lot of effort and will power to exercise and do things generally. I have become very lazy.

(neutral) My appetite is low. During the first week I hardly ate. Even now it is still less than normal. But I don’t mind this,

(bad) My sex drive is gone. This happened almost immediately after I started taking Zoloft.

(bad) It is hard to sleep at nights. I toss and turn and it takes about an hour or two before I nod off.

(very bad) Thanks to Zoloft I now have Tinnitus. After one week of taking Zoloft I suddenly noticed a buzzing noise. This noise just won't go away. I have never had such a thing happen to me before. My hearing has always been perfect.

So I am getting a lot of side effects. However I am willing to put up with them if Zoloft made me happy. But it isn't...

I am more much more depressed than before. I feel weak and I feel like my life is meaningless now. Before I used to be happy sometimes, now I am no longer happy at all,

What is going on? Why is it not working?

I am very depressed that it is not working for me. I had very high hopes for it. Surely after 3 weeks it would have made me feel a little better and most certainly not worse!

From what I understand Zoloft and SSRIs in general do not increase the Serotonin, but rather make it last longer and make it more "efficient".

I exercise a lot anyway. So my natural Serotonin levels are probably high. So has Zoloft lowered Serotonin for me inadvertently?

Thanks in advance.

#2 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:02 PM

Meds can take up to 8 weeks to kick in, so at three weeks you're likely not getting the full effect yet. It's very frustrating, I know, but it takes time for them to work. Also, 50 mg. is a low dose, and some people get by with it, but you may require ramping up to a higher dose, but that's for you and your doc to decide.

I'm sorry you're feeling worse, and I hope things get better. Most of the side effects go away with time, but sexual side effects are common. Most everyone I've talked to say that their libido recovered some, but was never the same, and that's true for me. Just wanted to let you know, that is very common with SSRI's.

Keep us posted on how you're doing, we're here to listen!

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 08:28 PM

I am like you for almost most of your stmptoms...I hardly eat..I toss and turn almost all night...decrease sex drive...for the first 2 weeks I had nausea and was sleepy all the time...I didn't want to do anything.

I was to the doctor a few days ago and I was on 25 mg for the first 2 weeks and then 50 mg for 2 weeks...My doc told me that it could take up to 6-8 weeks on my personal theaputic dose to feel better..I am currently on my 4 week on the drug and have felt some difference..On a scale of 1- 10 before meds I was a 2..now Im around a 5..Im hoping to be a 7 or 8 in 3-4 weeks time.

give it time my friend...Im going to...check with your doc to see what they think is the best thing for you.

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#4 nevel

nevel

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:01 PM

I have been on Zoloft for one year at 100 mg a day. I say give Zoloft time to work. It took me 8 weeks to start to feel better. As you feel better the side effects will lessen in time. I felt like crap for the first couple of weeks. I had most of side effect you have. The side effects should should lessen in time.

#5 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for all the replies. It gives me hope. I will hang in there and hope it starts to kick in - soon.

#6 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:18 PM

I hope you see quick results, too - Keep us posted, we're listening!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:37 AM

By the way, how is the dosage for Zoloft determined? Of course wth time the dosage is increased as the body gets used to it, but how is the initial starting dosage worked out?

Is it a function of body weight? Like most drugs?

Thanks.

#8 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:51 AM

Another thought about the dosage. Is it also a case of more milligrams equals stronger effect? So for very depressed people a higher dosage is then necessary?

Thanks.

#9 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:50 AM

Unfortunately, just like choosing the right med, the right dose is a matter of trial and error. Some people may take only 50 mg and be fine, yet others may require the max recommended dose which is 200 mg. I wish it were a more exact science, it would save lots of people from suffering longer than necessary.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 01:11 PM

UPDATE

It has been 4 weeks now and I feel no better. I certainly do feel more depressed than a month ago when I was med free. My personal circumstances have not changed, so I should not be more depressed.

Also I notice that I am more irritable and my temper is slightly worse. And I get lots of weird dreams every night, which I don't like either.

I am thinking of quiting Zoloft. How should I quit? How to reduce the dosage and how slowly?

I have another Anti-Depressent, Remeron. Is it worth trying that?

Please advise me.

Thanks.

#11 DoctorDre

DoctorDre

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 04:23 PM

I just read the thread "Effects Of Taking Zoloft If Your Not Depressed" and it has scared me.

Basically it says that if one is not clinically depressed and instead situationally depressed then SSRI's can make things WORSE.

Why didn't anyone mention this earlier to me? Obviously it seems that I am not clinically but rather situationally depressed as I am going through lots of personal problems. And so that is why Zoloft is making my depression worse. Am I right???

So it would be wise then, to stop it asap. Right?

What about Remeron? Would that help me then?

Thanks.

#12 christalonely

christalonely

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:14 PM

I just read the thread "Effects Of Taking Zoloft If Your Not Depressed" and it has scared me.

Basically it says that if one is not clinically depressed and instead situationally depressed then SSRI's can make things WORSE.

Why didn't anyone mention this earlier to me? Obviously it seems that I am not clinically but rather situationally depressed as I am going through lots of personal problems. And so that is why Zoloft is making my depression worse. Am I right???

So it would be wise then, to stop it asap. Right?

What about Remeron? Would that help me then?

Thanks.

now that scares me :hearts:

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#13 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 09:41 PM

I think you're misinterpreting what was said.

People suffering from situational OR clinical depression can greatly benefit from AD meds. However, someone who is NOT depressed who took it would likely not benefit, and chances are their mood would worsen because their balance of seratonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine would be upset by the med. In other words, if you're not depressed, don't take them. If you're situationally or clinically depressed, they can help tremendously.

Also as a side note, there are meds such as Wellbutrin that operate on different principles, and every med and every patient are different, so how you feel on zoloft should not be used to determine whether you're situationally or clinically depressed, either. Furthermore, I think you've been on the z for about a month? It may take 8 weeks to feel the full effects, so it's too early to say anything definitive about the med's effectiveness for you.

So NO! It is not wise to stop meds without your doc's supervision since it can be a shock to your system, especially for those who quit cold turkey. Just as you slowly taper on meds, you should slowly taper off - under a doctor's supervision, always.

I'm sorry if you were scared by that thread, and I hope I didn't say anything in it that caused you to be upset. Hang in there, give the meds more time, and if you have any questions or problems don't make any changes without talking to your doctor first. That's what they're there for, and they're a lot smarter than me, LOL!

Take care,
Dewayne

Edited by DeeBear, 04 October 2007 - 09:42 PM.

• willieverbenormal likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 DuntyMolly

DuntyMolly

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:59 AM

I think you're misinterpreting what was said.

People suffering from situational OR clinical depression can greatly benefit from AD meds. However, someone who is NOT depressed who took it would likely not benefit, and chances are their mood would worsen because their balance of seratonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine would be upset by the med. In other words, if you're not depressed, don't take them. If you're situationally or clinically depressed, they can help tremendously.

Also as a side note, there are meds such as Wellbutrin that operate on different principles, and every med and every patient are different, so how you feel on zoloft should not be used to determine whether you're situationally or clinically depressed, either. Furthermore, I think you've been on the z for about a month? It may take 8 weeks to feel the full effects, so it's too early to say anything definitive about the med's effectiveness for you.

So NO! It is not wise to stop meds without your doc's supervision since it can be a shock to your system, especially for those who quit cold turkey. Just as you slowly taper on meds, you should slowly taper off - under a doctor's supervision, always.

I'm sorry if you were scared by that thread, and I hope I didn't say anything in it that caused you to be upset. Hang in there, give the meds more time, and if you have any questions or problems don't make any changes without talking to your doctor first. That's what they're there for, and they're a lot smarter than me, LOL!

Take care,
Dewayne

• Rambof10 likes this

#15 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

interesting. i have been feeling more suicidal since i started zoloft. i've always had thoughts pass thru my head.. but now they linger and loop relentlessly. arrrrgh... perfecting my plan, i'm afraid if i see it one too many times i may just act upon it. i've been on zoloft 3 weeks.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#16 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

I've had those "looping" thoughts too, especially during the holidays or other times of extreme stress. I was starting on Zoloft during the holidays last year, and after getting stabilized, and getting through the holidays, those thoughts faded. However, if I get really stressed, and need my dose adjusted, they come back. It's a warning sign for me - although I wish I had a more pleasant one......

Please make sure your doc is aware of these thoughts, and monitor your SE's, especially now, on startup. The best thing you can do to get through the startup process is to listen to what your body is telling you!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 03:17 PM

my np took me off zoloft. my thoughts were becoming very morbid, and suicidal ideation was all i could think about. last appointment, i was in the corner of the room rocking back alternating between covering my ears and eyes to block "them" out. this was last week. i've been off zoloft a few days... still feeling depressed but fidgity. i'm having more morbid-like thoughts but feeling very impulsive.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#18 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 04:01 PM

((((((flipping)))))

I do hope you feel better soon - be sure and tell your np how you're feeling.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 securitysimple

securitysimple

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

I am a 35 year old male. I just felt getting depressed the last couple of years. My mother, both sisters and most of my moms side of the family suffer from depression. My doc put me on celexa and after 8 weeks i swtiched over to zoloft.
This is my 16 day on it and i am on 100 mg a day. I am so confused. I am so lazy and don't feel like doing anything. Nothing sounds fun or worth doing. It takes 3 times the effort or motivation to get the simplest things done. I own a business so you could imagine the load. My mom takes zoloft and it has helped her, but i don't feel any better. I have read it can take up to 8 weeks but my hope is sheltered by the unsuccess of celexa. Not to mention that i am now more depressed than ever after taking zoloft. I just want my old self back....i am scared ....not sure what to do anymore.

#20 BenC

BenC

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:05 AM

I once was prescribed Zoloft and also found it seemed to make me more depressed, with tinnitus being a big factor. I recommend getting off it asap and changing to another medication. I did this and it was immediately noticible as better and I found my self getting better in a couple of weeks. I know so many people who have had similar negative reactions to zoloft I think everyone should avoid it.
By the way the medication I went to after Zoloft was Luvox, now I am on Lexapro.
  • Glyn likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users