Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How many antidepressant meds have you tried?

• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

Poll: How many antidepressant meds have you tried? (725 member(s) have cast votes)

How many antidepressant meds have you tried?

1. none (14 votes [1.74%])

Percentage of vote: 1.74%

2. 1 (48 votes [5.98%])

Percentage of vote: 5.98%

3. Voted 2 (83 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. Voted 3 (102 votes [12.70%])

Percentage of vote: 12.70%

5. 4 (89 votes [11.08%])

Percentage of vote: 11.08%

6. 5 (96 votes [11.96%])

Percentage of vote: 11.96%

7. 6 (73 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

8. 7 (43 votes [5.35%])

Percentage of vote: 5.35%

9. 8 (35 votes [4.36%])

Percentage of vote: 4.36%

10. Voted 9 or more (220 votes [27.40%])

Percentage of vote: 27.40%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 Scattered13

Scattered13

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Anti-depressants:
Citalopram - Every dose from 10mg - 60mg. Each worked for a few weeks tops and them I was back at square one.
Sertraline - First time when I was 14, it gave me a lift then. This time round, nothing. Dose went up to 100mg.
Mirtazapine - Up to full dose, 45mg. Again very little gain. Dose increases made me super agitated for about a week or so. The only positive effect it's had has been to put a glass wall between me and my dreams, making it easier to distinguish between dream world and real world.
Velaxafine or imipramine: not started yet, but they are the next in the pipeline.

Benzo's:
Lorazepam - worked for extreme agitation and panic. Hated taking it though.
Diazepam - Did nothing. Also hated taking it.

Atypical Anti-psychotics:
Olanzapine or respiradone: About to start one of these. Taking it as both a mood stabiliser and anti-psychotic. Fingers crossed!

My pdoc says I have titanium neurotransmitters. I think he enjoys the challenge!
Dx: psychotic depression, panic disorder, rheumatoid arthitis, 'something else going on'
Rx: mirtazapine 45mg,respiridone 1mg, adalimumab 40mg, azathioprine 150mg, hydroxychloroquine 400mg, prednisolone 5mg, diclofenac sodium 150mg, codeine 30mg, zaleplon 10mg, calcium and vit.d

#162 Cowl

Cowl

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

For antidepressants, I've tried Prozac, Wellbutrin Trazodone, and Celexa. The Celexa is the only one that has really helped.

For other meds, I've had Klonopin, Ativan, Abilify, Seroquel, Zyprexa, and Lamictal.

Edited by Cowl, 25 September 2009 - 03:32 PM.

#163 alexius1313

alexius1313

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:46 PM

I know it is common to try a lot of different drugs before finding one that works (or giving up on the search.) How many antidepressant medications, if any, have you used?
If you'd like to list them, and/or say if you finally found one that works for you, that would be great.
~Kait

It's pretty scary when I think of how many ADs I've been on. However, I try to look upon it as a type of experiment (you've got to have a sense of humour or you'll go nuts lol!) ...

TCAs
1. Imipramine
2. Amitriptyline

SSRIs
1. Paroxetine
2. Fluoxetine
3. Citalopram
4. Sertraline

NaSSA
1. Mirtazapine

Other
1. Trazodone

I'm currently on Zoloft and doing OK... It's a long road...

Good luck to everyone!

#164 quietCherub

quietCherub

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:19 PM

Antidepressants I've tried:

Prozac - made me feel numb, didn't like
Paxil - numb and really sleepy, didn't like
buspar - really sleepy, didn't help
trazodone - don't remember
Lexapro - gave it a try, made my anxiety worse, my eyes would jitter, felt like i looked cracked out and everyone could see
remeron - didn't help all that much, made me want to eat sweets all the time
wellbutrin - i have a love hate relationship with this one. first took it when i was a teen, hated it. i felt like i had the flu times a billion, plus was even more anxious. have taken it approx 3 other times since then. i can take it in combination with another antidepressant that helps with anxiety, but not alone.
cymbalta - awful start up, took it for a few days then stopped because i felt like i had the flu, plus i was extremely nauseus; however, i tried it again a few days later at half the dose (approx 15 mg) and slowly tapered it up. ended up being on it for 3 years or so, maybe more. loved it once the initial side effects went away. sexual problems at first, but they eventually went away as well.
pristiq - a little less than a year ago i switched from cymbalta to pristiq. started on 50mg. for 3 weeks i was deeply depressed and it was awful, but then i went up to 100mg and about a week later i was feeling better. i love it. don't really have any troubling side effects ... night sweats and vivid dreams, but i can deal with that.

currently taking: wellbutrin 150mg, pristiq 100mg and hydroxyzine 50mg 2x day. the hydroxyzine really helps calm my mind so i can sleep at night. recently added wellbutrin to the mix because i was feeling so tired, and tend to get more depressed in the winter.

other psych meds i've taken:

Seroquel
Abilify
Deplin ("medical food")
Lithium
Xanax
Klonopin
Valium
Trying to save myself, but my self keeps slipping away...

#165 westof101

westof101

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

I took prozac for about 18 years: can't say it really worked.
Paxil: didn't work at all.
Wellbutrin: made me way too anxious.
Celexa: too much anxiety.

Anti-psychotics: Risperdone: didn't work

Now on Lithium (900mg)
and Lamictal (100 mg)
Get busy Living, or Get busy dying. I'm trying the living side.

#166 teddi

teddi

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:03 AM

ive taken
invega..doc was not thinkn straight
zoloft..more bad thoughts then ever
celexa...stopped responding
trazadone...made me tired as hell
lithium..900mg..currently on ..keeps me stable..gettin used to side effects
risperidone...allright..but the doc wanted to try sumin diff..thats how the invega happened
lexapro..10mg..slowly doin its job

#167 Mandaly

Mandaly

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:48 PM

zoloft - made me a sleep monster
prozac - didnt do anything
lexapro - didnt do anything
wellbutrin - made me have panic attacks
effexor - didnt reallydo anything
paxil (currently taking) - have been taking since 2003... really helped make panic attacks stop
buspar (currently taking) - helped a little with depression...not sure if it is really that great

tried these when a doctor thought I might have BPII because of my episodes of rage and irritability
geodon - best that I can describe is made my entire body feel like i had restless leg syndrome
abilify - wasnt on long enough to know if it helped
lamictal - dont know if it helped or not
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times....no wait, it was just the worst of times...."

#168 elviesttey

elviesttey

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:41 AM

Lexapro, Klonopin, Zoloft, Cymbalta, Prozac, Geodon, Zyprexa, Tradazone, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Remeron, Cogentin, Lamictal, lithium, Risperdal, Invega (side effects GALORE), Ritalin, Adderal, Xanax, Deplin, vistaril (for sleep), any sleeping pill you can name (Ambien, Lunesta, Rozerem, Sonata) . . . and I'm probably forgetting things.

Edited by elviesttey, 29 December 2009 - 02:09 AM.

#169 JadedGirl

JadedGirl

• Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:49 PM

Zoloft (100mg)- made me suicidial..after being on it for a month..I overdosed on it when I was 14...lucky im alive.

Celexa (40 mg)- couldnt sleep for days..had to quit taking it

Lexapro (20 mg)-couldn't sleep...weight gain

Wellbutrin- allergic..made my skin blister in welps and itch like crazy

Abilify-allergic..made my skin itch making me scratch and pick sores all over my body that are now hideous scars..extreme amount of weight gain

Prozac- didn't help with depression at all..made me have obsessive compulsive thoughts.

Effexor XR-didn't help with depression at all..made me have obsessive compulsive thoughts.

Seroquil-allergic..violent vomit until i bursted a blood vessel in my eye, felt my tongue swelling...and my throat closing up

Lamictial-works great no side effects

Cymbalta-works great no side effects

Saphris -works great no side effects

Cloninapine- doesnt help anxiety attacks

Valium- I might as well eat a Tylenol for anxiety..did nothing at all

Ativan-works fast and last long for anxiety attacks..no side effects

Remeron- hallucinations

Strattera-made me violent and angry..had mirgrane for 3 days..high blood pressure

Focalin XR- works good

Adderal XR- too strong makes me anxious as hell and smoke more

the list goes on..........

#170 Guest_Sweetest1_*

Guest_Sweetest1_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

I can't believe how many people have tried 9 or more! that just amazed me!

Ok, I've tried 2 AD's. Both threw me into manic episodes. (I'm bipolar but didn't know it yet when I took them)

The first was Zyban (welbutrin) which my father gave me to quit smoking (around June /99), so no doc's care because I didn't have coverage and couldn't afford it. It made me angry and violent. After about a week my husband took them away and flushed them. I never went to the doc, but I often wonder how different my life would be now, if I had gotten help 10 years earlier. Can't go back though now, can we.

The second was Effexor, which made me paranoid, gave me akathesia, caused me to SI, and have suicidal ideations. Thankfully I was under a docs care then and he sent me to a pdoc. That was march/09.

My pdoc wants to put me on another AD, while I'm rapid cycling uncontrollably?? I don't Fing think so. I can't imagine I'll ever try another one, it just isn't worth the risk to me.

Edited by Sweetest1, 31 January 2010 - 11:53 AM.

#171 Volturi

Volturi

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:26 PM

Prozac - taken when I was a kid, stabalised me for a little while, didn't stay on it for long
Celexa - Worked wonders for me at first, went on & off of it, eventually the magic died down
Zoloft - So-so, gave me bad insomia & night sweats
Wellbutrin - Made me hyper & giddy within hours of taking it
Cymbalta - Works well, although may have induced cycling
Remeron - Horrible, made me zombie-numb & drowzy as hell within half an hour of taking it

and now....... Lamictal. No side effects (as of yet, on 50mg now), hasn't totally held me in place, but I am sure as hell more stable now than I was prior to it. Still have to lower or axe the Cymbalta though.

All this & I am not even twenty yet.

Edited by Volturi, 02 March 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#172 Psychatition

Psychatition

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:21 PM

I'm currently on my second anti-depressant. It's called cipralex, and it unfortunatly has a couple of negative side effect's. One, being exhaustion, and the other being dizzy spells if I miss taking them for more then one day. I can't remember the name of the first anti-depressant I was on, but it made me gain some weight, leaving me with a gut I still haven't gotten rid of, although it's not really THAT noticable unless you're actually trying to spot it... Only one person I knew has ever mentioned it, but whatever..

If any one else is on Cipralex, give me a shout and maybe we can trade stories about it's effects on us or something. That goes out to others who have tried it in the past as well. :shocked:

#173 ChitownBex

ChitownBex

• PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:18 PM

Paxil in my twenties --- worked well for awhile ... then kind of stopped ... also caused me to gain some weight --
Wellbutrin (when I switched off of Paxil ... bad bad bad ... made me nervous and I am allergic to )
Prozac -- loved it for my mood , but caused terrible bleeding and brusing ---
Lexapro -- same ... good for mood , but terrible bruising and bleeding ---
Effexor -- Four days into this and my knees , legs, and feet are burning and tingling -- I do not think I can take it as I work on my feet mostly all day and teach fitness classes ----

so three ssri's and two snris ----

I think I need to try something else which is not going to cause issues -- ughhhhhh

#174 tealtastic

tealtastic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

I'm currently on my second anti-depressant. It's called cipralex, and it unfortunatly has a couple of negative side effect's. One, being exhaustion, and the other being dizzy spells if I miss taking them for more then one day. I can't remember the name of the first anti-depressant I was on, but it made me gain some weight, leaving me with a gut I still haven't gotten rid of, although it's not really THAT noticable unless you're actually trying to spot it... Only one person I knew has ever mentioned it, but whatever..

If any one else is on Cipralex, give me a shout and maybe we can trade stories about it's effects on us or something. That goes out to others who have tried it in the past as well. :shocked:

Cipralex is the European trade name for escitalopram so it's Lexapro under another name.
Love After Love

The time will come
when, with elation
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here. Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give alcohol. Give bread. Give back your heart
to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

Derek Walcott
Posted ImagePosted Image

#175 luvdogs

luvdogs

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

i've tried about 30 different kinds of meds & combinations for this illness.i even tried electroshock therapy but that didn't work either.tried prayer too--i still pray but not much hope there.i am starting dbt therapy next month,something new for me,so will see if that works.i lost hope a long time ago......

#176 SilverMoon

SilverMoon

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

Remeron, Wellbutrin, Prozac. I was lucky to find one that worked REALLY well for me on the second try. Eventually after 5 years it seemed like the Wellbutrin wasn't working as well so I switched to Prozac but I hated it. Not on anything right now.

#177 booboobasketcase

booboobasketcase

• PipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

I know it is common to try a lot of different drugs before finding one that works (or giving up on the search.) How many antidepressant medications, if any, have you used?
If you'd like to list them, and/or say if you finally found one that works for you, that would be great.
~Kait

I've tried so many things....my psyche said to me one day "you just want to try all the pills". That wasn't the case. I wanted to find something that would work. They seemed to think that if you didn't respond to the drugs there was nothing wrong with you "all in your mind attitude". In the old days all we had were tri's & mao's...seems like they all had about the same effect. I ordered some antidepressants thru the mail once in the early 90's from Greece. One was called Opipramol. No effect on me at all on me either (it was a tricyclic also). Still looking for the perfect pill however...I know it will be along soon.....

#178 Sphinxy

Sphinxy

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I have tried

Citalopram (Didn't work)
Prozac (Made me feel like a zombie)
Zoloft (Works well for me but I hate the side effects)

#179 squelette

squelette

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 10:08 PM

I'm glad to see that I'm actually in the majority with "9 or more"

I've taken nine anti-depressants and five anti-psychotics, totaling 14 different meds, none of which have worked. Some were worse than others, though.

Anti-depressants
-Zoloft: Felt the side-effects but none of the positive effects...my anxiety and depression did not improve while on it.
-Prozac: Same as above, but the side effects were less severe.
-Paxil: The worst side effects of the SSRIs came from this one; huge weight gain and made me incredibly tired all the time.
-Lexapro: Very bad side effects with this one too
-Elavil: Turned me into a zombie. Probably the most sedating medication I've been on.
-Wellbutrin: The least side effects of any anti-depressant I've been on. Unfortunately it didn't do much else, either.
-Effexor: My doctor and I jokingly called it "Side-Effexor" because of how bad the side effects were with it.
-Cymbalta: Not a ton of side effects but again no positive ones either.
-Lithium: Felt like a placebo; eventually got off of it because of health concerns.

Anti-psychotics
-Seroquel: I'm listing these in order from most side effects to least (none of them had any positive effect): seroquel caused the most weight gain of anything I've taken and again turned me into a zombie.
-Risperdal: Again, huge weight gain and extreme fatigue.
-Zyprexa: Second-most sedating med I've taken, after Elavil
-Abilify: Side effects weren't too bad but didn't notice any improvement either.
-Geodon: No side effects, but also no improvement.

#180 Always_Sad

Always_Sad

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

I have tried quite a few different AD's. Some did nothing for me, others seemed to help a little but the side effects were too much for me to handle. I have recently been thinking about discussing MAOI's with my doc. I have atypical symptoms of depression and have read a few times that these respond better to MAOI's.

#181 onemorechance

onemorechance

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:40 AM

I took Zoloft for about ten years. Got off it. Then started having panic attacks without it. Then have been taking Paxil. Now am on/off. I get panic attacks without, emotional, angry without the meds. They allow me to work, if not in the best way, at least to survive.
I am hoping to survive some how until I reach pension age, about three more years.
If I could live a life without economic problems, a simple life, I would be OK. Interacting a lot with people, stress...it's getting harder and harder to handle.
There a good days and bad days. I have absolutely no idea what causes them.
This is a complicated illness. I live in Italy where a lot of stigma is attached to emotional illness (although many Italians are obviously depressed).
Don't you think it's because we are trying to do too much?????

#182 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:48 AM

Well 4 trials was enough for me , hated the SNRI's and for me Citalopram was always best.

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#183 foggygirl

foggygirl

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

I took Zoloft for about ten years. Got off it. Then started having panic attacks without it. Then have been taking Paxil. Now am on/off. I get panic attacks without, emotional, angry without the meds. They allow me to work, if not in the best way, at least to survive.
I am hoping to survive some how until I reach pension age, about three more years.
If I could live a life without economic problems, a simple life, I would be OK. Interacting a lot with people, stress...it's getting harder and harder to handle.
There a good days and bad days. I have absolutely no idea what causes them.
This is a complicated illness. I live in Italy where a lot of stigma is attached to emotional illness (although many Italians are obviously depressed).
Don't you think it's because we are trying to do too much?????

I've read all your post and can honestly say I too have tried all the mentioned antidepressants with little or no help. I have trd depression, (Treatment Resistant Depression). But I did not see the device that I have that is now treating my depression extremely well. Its called a Vegus Nerve Stimulator. Any one else out there have one. It works like a mini pacemaker for your brain. I truly would be locked up in some state institution if I was not given the opportunity to have a chance to get one.

#184 japanlover

japanlover

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:35 AM

Tried them all and hated them all. They all have horrible side effect ranging from easier suicidal thoughts, sexual frustration, zombie-ism, and many more. I've honestly given up on meds, they never help me.

#185 RatBoy

RatBoy

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:42 PM

Five - Zoloft, Effexor, Wellbutrin, and Paxil in various combinations, and now Emsam. With the Effexor, I'd feel a slight initial uptick in mood then back to where i was before. Have now been on Emsam for about 2 1/2 months, and it seems to be showing some positive results. :shocked:

#186 littledorrit

littledorrit

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:16 AM

Prozac - helped with OCD but gave me rage attacks.
Wellbutrin - did absolutely nothing
Celexa - works AMAZING for depression, but not for my other conditions
Abilify - miracle drug

Psychiatric diagnoses: Asperger's syndrome, major depression - recurrent - extended with psychotic features, OCD, ADHD, panic disorder.

Trauma history: bullying, emotionally abusive father, TVUUC church shooting, trouble with homophobia in the community

Medications: in flux right now

Outlook: bright

#187 sadkoala71

sadkoala71

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 11:09 PM

Trazadone,Effexor,Gabapentin,Neurontin,Ativan,Depakote(made my hair fall out),Lamictal,Risperdal,Lithium,Wellbutrin,Vistaril,and seroquel.....enough said!!!!! :shocked:

She finally gave up. She wiped the fake smile off her face. A tear rolled down her cheek. She whispered to herself," I can't do this anymore."

#188 tsh

tsh

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

Lexapro - worked relatively good for my mood but disrupted sleep so tired all the time

Zispin - helped me sleep although I developed sleep apnea with it and also was extremely irritable on it

Cymbalta - awful! Sleep went out the window and one day I forgot to take it and felt horrendous, completely out of it

Valdoxan - my current AD, helping sleep, slightly helping mood...watch this space...

#189 Achelois

Achelois

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 12:31 AM

I have GAD, OCD, and Social Phobia==these are all the meds ive tried, im now on Luvox and Klonopin as needed.

Paxil --worked somewhat for my anxiety and ocd, had nausea
Zoloft--no effect
Celexa--no effect
Serzone--no effect
Buspar--just made me dizzy
Effexor XR--made my anxiety worse
Prozac--made me feel crazy
Paxil CR--didnt do much
Lexapro--no effect
Remeron--made me gain 10 pounds in one week
Klonopin--worked great but made me irritable at same time
Valium--no effect
Ativan--worked somewhat, quick tolerance
Tranxene--extremely awesome, best benzo---got tolerant
Neurontin--sucked, no effect
Risperdal--made me a zombie
Luvox--currently on, awesome antidepressant

Effexor XR is my 5-th and it's the best one so far.

#190 Tim 52

Tim 52

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Prozac: Made me very hyper and totally panicked. Serotonin syndrome?
Luvox: My wonder drug for 15 years (ah it is hard when an affair ends! :) Then it stopped working. Positive mood. Calm, Slept great.
Cymbalta: Been on for 5 weeks. Verdict is out.
Klonopin: On and off for 15 years. Find it very helpful. Taking same dose or less than when I first started.

goldenvelope1jr.gifInformation supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor. 

#191 kayeselle

kayeselle

• PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:50 PM

Citalopram - took it for six months and went up to 40 mg. I had some minimal relief, along with some nausea (I threw up my breakfast more than once; had a hard time convincing certain people that I was NOT pregnant) and loss of appetite. Lost a bunch of weight. I was a college student at the time and the nurse practitioners at the student health center were overseeing. After about six months I went to my family doctor for continuing insomnia. She asked me several questions and finally said she thought the insomnia was due to my depression not being controlled. She put me on Prozac.

Prozac - for that particular episode, it worked well for me. I think I stayed at 20 mg. My only side effect was way decreased appetite - lost about 19 lbs total between Proz. and Cit. - but I liked that :). I went off of it a little over a year later.

Fast forward to my current major episode:

The PA I saw started me off with Prozac and Trazodone.

Trazodone was fabulous for helping me sleep. I still take it now. I was in a high-stress job and the Prozac only agitated my anxiety. I was then switched to Sertraline.

Sertraline - worked well, had a very calming effect on my body and mind. It was a relief at the time. I stopped it about a month ago, because Sert. combined with the Traz. was just too sedating. Currently the Trazodone alone is doing the trick. As long as I can sleep, I can survive in this world.

Though You have made me see troubles, many and bitter, You will restore my life again; from the depths of the Earth, You will again bring me up."
~Psalm 71:20 (NIV)

#192 r90

r90

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:49 PM

Started with Prozac (20mg); didn't help at all, moved to Anafranil (25mg); didn't help too, and now with Solotik (Sertraline; current dosage: 200mg); nothing effective yet...
Borderline Personality Disorder: Is it just a diagnosis label or a constant chaos of suffering?

DepressionForums.org is a community support group for mental health issues, our job is to support, if you're seeking a medical advice or treatment, please refer to a qualified mental health professional
Posted Image

#193 Achelois

Achelois

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

I have GAD, OCD, and Social Phobia==these are all the meds ive tried, im now on Luvox and Klonopin as needed.

Paxil --worked somewhat for my anxiety and ocd, had nausea
Zoloft--no effect
Celexa--no effect
Serzone--no effect
Buspar--just made me dizzy
Effexor XR--made my anxiety worse
Prozac--made me feel crazy
Paxil CR--didnt do much
Lexapro--no effect
Remeron--made me gain 10 pounds in one week
Klonopin--worked great but made me irritable at same time
Valium--no effect
Ativan--worked somewhat, quick tolerance
Tranxene--extremely awesome, best benzo---got tolerant
Neurontin--sucked, no effect
Risperdal--made me a zombie
Luvox--currently on, awesome antidepressant

Effexor XR is my 5-th and it's the best one so far.

and now it's up to 6 - Mianserin instead of Effexor.

#194 memyselfi10

memyselfi10

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:12 PM

It's been very helpful (reassuring) to read this thread and know that I'm not the only one who has trouble finding a medication that really helps. Here's my list:

1. Paxil

2. Triavil

3. Zoloft

4. Lexapro

5. Elavil

6. Wellbutrin

7. Xanax for anxiety

On Paxil I just wanted to stay in bed and stare at the walls all day, but my family and friends liked it because they said I was nicer to them. :innocent: On Zoloft I had horrible insomnia, so was given Lexapro instead -- never take it with Ambien! Since Lexipro kept me awake too my doc gave me Ambien. I didn't sleep for over 48 hours straight, became violent, freaked out, and was terrified I'd end up in the psych ward of a hospital (luckily I was able to take myself away from people and rode it out over 24 hours). No one told me about that drug interaction. Elavil has been the second best thing I've ever taken. It doesn't help everything, but it does take care of my chronic insomnia and lifts my mood a bit. I only took wellbutrin for the side effect, it helped me be alert during the day at work because the Elavil made me a bit groggy. Otherwise I didn't see any other effect from it. Xanax helps take the edge off my anxiety.

Unfortunately, it was #2 that was the miracle drug for me. A brillant psychiatrist prescribed it for me many years ago when they were still using it for depression. It's the only drug I've ever taken that has cured my serious avolition (and my depression, and my insomnia, and my anxiety). The others... some lift my depression, others calm my anxiety, but I still get no enjoyment out of life. I stay at home mostly, and even things like going grocery shopping are a huge chore for me. Triavil was the only thing that made me literally jump up out of bed in the morning, excited and wanting to go out and do things, be active. I don't know why an anti-psychotic had that kind of affect on me when I'm not schizophrenic, but it did.

Edited by memyselfi10, 23 September 2010 - 03:15 PM.

"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell; I know right now you can't tell..."

("Unwell," Matchbox 20)

#195 speck

speck

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:05 AM

This thread makes me feel (more) hopeless. I've been on several ADs (I answered 4 but remembered more as I was reading) and I honestly can't tell if and how any of them worked or didn't work. I am just kind of amazed how so many people can, with any confidence, state that any of these drugs has this certain effect or made this or that happen ... I have never been able to be sure if it's "me" or "it" when something changes.

The drug I've been on the longest was prozac, which I stopped taking last Fall because I just wanted to know what it felt like as just me without any drugs. Well ... I felt depressed before I stopped taking and I felt just as depressed after I stopped taking it; I really didn't notice any difference. I had some panicy feelings ramping up on the wellbutrin I'm on now, but currently I feel pretty much the same as always - depressed. I feel more or less depressed from day to day or as different things happen in my life, but I can't really say what the drug is doing.

It just disturbs me greatly to see one person saying glibbyglop made them more panicy and the next person say glibbyglop made them less panicy ... it just all seems like it's all random.

#196 Achelois

Achelois

• Just Registered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:28 AM

Do not despair!

Mianserin is my 6-th (I am chronically depressed for years) and it's the first time in 6 months i begin to feel something that resembles happiness.

I feel a significant improvement!

So there is hope for all of us, we have to keep trying !

Edited by Achelois, 25 September 2010 - 01:28 AM.

#197 memyselfi10

memyselfi10

• PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:21 AM

This thread makes me feel (more) hopeless. I've been on several ADs (I answered 4 but remembered more as I was reading) and I honestly can't tell if and how any of them worked or didn't work. I am just kind of amazed how so many people can, with any confidence, state that any of these drugs has this certain effect or made this or that happen ... I have never been able to be sure if it's "me" or "it" when something changes.

I know how frustrating it is -- we all do. But that's because none of us are text book cases, and what the doctors have been taught will work wonders may not do a thing for your particular brain. Then in addition to the drug not being right for us, the doctor we're going to may not be a good fit either as they all have their own approaches to treating MH issues and it needs to work for us. But what if the drug that finally gave you your life back was just around the corner, the very next thing you try -- and you gave up instead? That's why I'll never give up, no matter how discouraged I get. It is out there somewhere. I know it is. I just have to keep looking until I find it.

I'm also going to try and make a committment to taking advantage of the blog feature here. I think it might be helpful to make note of everyday changes, moods, impressions, and situations. It all becomes a blur sometimes, our minds often aren't clear. Like now that I'm on my old meds again, I can't really remember specific details about how exactly I felt with them before. All I know is a general "they helped enough to keep me functioning but not enough to help my severe avolition." How much on a scale of one to ten? :huh: Don't know. I didn't write things down so I don't even have any good arguements/helpful info to give my pdoc. Or maybe I'll keep a hand written journal, I used to like those but stopped years ago. Writing it down -- if you aren't already doing that -- might help you and your doc figure out if it's "me or it". Just a suggestion. I haven't tried it yet myself though so I don't know if it works. :whistling:
"I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell; I know right now you can't tell..."

("Unwell," Matchbox 20)

#198 pinkdaisy

pinkdaisy

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:30 PM

I started on Paxil. Only took it about 6 weeks; I had severe side effects including an intense craving for soft sweet foods (I basically lived on cinnamon rolls) and feeling like I was outside my body, two separate people. Gained about 25 pounds during that 6 week period.

Then switched to Wellbutrin for about 6 months. I felt really good on Wellbutrin. However, after 6 months, I began to feel like I hadn't slept. I would sleep lightly each night and dream intensely and wake up feeling pretty good but noticed I would swerve while driving, etc, like I was sleep-deprived.

Switched to Cymbalta two years ago.

Am currently moving from Cymbalta to Symbyax as my depression and anxiety have relapsed to SEVERE.

I've also taken Ativan (lorazepam) off and on as needed for panic attacks. It works very very well for me and also helps me sleep.

I've kept a journal faithfully for 20 years (I am 31) and it is enlightening to go back and review my entries during each med and during the times between.

#199 urkel123

urkel123

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:52 AM

i have just turned 22 and my tally is 6

cipramil- my first AD, started when i was 13, did nothing at all for me
zoloft- was hell on earth, attempted suicide at the age of 14
prozac-worked great for me for probavky 3 years until i felt well enough to come off it.
effexor-after 6 months of nothing i hit a low and now being 18 my doc gave me effexor. what a lifesaver. but after awhile the headaches and sexual side effects were too much
cymbalta-worked for me but i was such a zombie i tried...
pristiq-thinking its the same as effexor, better on the s/es but not so great for my mood
then back to effexor and im now im giving pristiq another shot. just because of those horrid headaches.
it helps to hear that you arent alone and people out there are finding the help.
its a hard road.
good luck to you all
jaclyn

#200 Pepsi109

Pepsi109

• Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:23 PM

I'm 23 and I've been on three:

Sertraline - 50mg then 100mg. I had the most effective counselor in the world so I was able to pull myself out with her help on a very low dose. When I couldn't see her anymore, and upped to 100mg, there was no difference and it pretty much stopped working.

Citalopram - 20mg then 40mg. Switched to this, helped a little bit but felt like more of the same.

Bupropion - 150mg then 75mg. Added this to Citalopram, horrible sweating and felt manic (I think that's what it was). It energized me but made me hate my situation with more passion and that was not good. Went down to 75mg and while the sweating and impassioned fits of rage are better, I don't get that energy anymore :(.

Edited by Pepsi109, 01 October 2010 - 03:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users