Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaitrin

How many antidepressant meds have you tried?

How many antidepressant meds have you tried?   752 members have voted

1. 1. How many antidepressant meds have you tried?

• none
    • 9 or more

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

320 posts in this topic

Posted

drinking tea made from St.John's Wort would not give you enough of the stuff for it to be effective it seems, the dosage in the studies i've heard / read of about St.Johns Wort was much higher than what you find in tea.

Yes, possibly so. The liquid tincture should be the ideal way to take it. From what I've read, it's much more potent in that form or made from the dried herb than tablets, but I'm no expert on the stuff.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Past meds for GAD/PTSD:

Lorazepam, which turned me into a zombie

Paxil CR, shot up the BP and gave me the shakes, worsened the anxiety, etc.

Present meds:

Gabapentin, for the SSRI withdrawal/Anxiety-on 1200 mg, taken off after 30 days and recently put back on-currently 600-900mg

Buspar, since I'm med sensitive and it plays nice besides the occasional shakes-currently on 30mg

Atenolol, for HT/HBP and Anxiety-on for life I guess...100 mg

It's been a strange ride trying to get the right med/dosage combination, but so far so good!

Posted

As for me, I have tried 6 different antidepressant medications: Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, and Lexapro. None of them worked for me. Presently I am taking Effexor and Wellbutrin together.

Posted

I've tried Paxil, Zoloft, Celexa, Remeron and Nortriptylene (with Lorezapam).

So far the only thing that helps a bit is the Lorezapam for the anxiety. But nothing has worked for the depression. I am now trying Nortriptylene because the SSRIs gave me terrible side effects.

Posted

i have tried several antidepressants such as paxil, zoloft, effexor, cymbalta, remron, celexa, prozac, lexapro, currently on wellbutrin xl 300mg and just added geodon--suppost to help depresion and bipolar

Posted (edited)

Anti-depressants have side effects for most people. It's good to know I'm not the only person getting them. I think everyone is different though in what they can and can't take.

For me, I always get horrendous side effects. Most of the people I've told think I'm insane that I would live with them. But I know it's better than coming off them and feeling like I'm dead every day, or not having any positive thoughts. The med I'm on at the moment is giving me a new lease of life. Happiness is very important to me.

I've been told a lot of side effects people get happens because of the anxiety, and the way the body reacts to its relief.

Edited by kirkwuk

Posted

So far Prozac, Zoloft and now Effexor. I think the last is working. Keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Posted

ive had so many failures with these crappy medicines it p isses me off

i took one dose of xanax yesterday and felt like my old self again..

but my doctor prolly wont perscribe them.

Posted

ive had so many failures with these crappy medicines it p isses me off

i took one dose of xanax yesterday and felt like my old self again..

but my doctor prolly wont perscribe them.

Hi 'Stealyourface722,

Certainly, not in the long run, but perhaps as a stop gap until you might find the right one. Just the fact that you have responded positively to Xanax should give your pDoc a clue what might work for you. Since they work by by modulating the GABA, A subtype of the GABA receptor, the most prolific inhibitory receptor within the brain. And they work as a calcium chloride channel blocker. Both pregabalin and gabapentin work at the same level. Neither one of them is considered truly addictive and should run afoul of your doctor's ideas. So that is one clue of a possible answer for your form of mood disorder. Perhaps you might suggest that to your doctor. Because of the potential addictive (high affinity) qualities of Xanax, it will be hard to convince them to treat you with them for anything other than short term relief from anxiety (?). But it is a clue to a possible treatment modality. Good luck in your quest for the right answer. Remember, the worse thing you can do is throw up your hands and quit searching. For that will lead you nowhere. Keep up the fight, almost all of us have an answer out there, we just need to be vigilant in our search for answers. Only you can ultimately sabotage your treatment, as the most important advocate and member of your treatment team, your attitude is extremely important to the ultimate outcome of your quest for remission from your mood disorder. Giving up is never really an option.

BE Peace and BE Love.... wayne

Posted

Have previously been on Celexa (Horrible! Hated it. Made me sleep around 18 hrs a day!), Effexor (Loved it, it worked for almost a year and then suddenly stopped working). Am now on Wellbutrin (So far, so good. Let's wait and see..)

Posted

Just thought i'd update the amount of medications i've tried to ten now. However this time iam currently taking five different meds a day and finally i think iam getting somewhere with my anxiety and depression.

Posted

My main thing is OCD and I have had it since I was 7 or 8 yrs old. Didn't start meds till a breakdown at 15 yrs old. I have been on 7 meds and 1 herbal. I also have Anxiety Disorder and Depression.

Paxil 3 times

Celexa

Wellbutrin (with Paxil but had an allergic reaction)

Anafranil

Xanax

Ativan

Effexor 3 times

St.Johns Wort which was THE WORST!!!

There may be more becuse a Dr. I was seeing around 20 yrs old changed them a lot and I don't remember all of them. For some reason I remember one called Manerex but I have never found that since...maybe I misunderstood the name.

Currently taking Effexor 150 mg's I don't find it's working much.

Posted

I have taken/tried a whole host of depression/anxiety medications, with varying degrees of success. Several of them I stopped due to side effects.

Here is a list of the meds I've taken for depression, anxiety and ADD:

Prozac

Paxil

Celexa

Effexor

Serzone

Strattera

Xanax

Klonopin

Wellbutrin

Ritalin

Cymbalta

Plus the herbal supplements St. John's Wort, L-Tyrosine, GABA, 5-HTP, Kava and Valerian.

Might be one or two others I'm forgetting--it's hard to remember all the meds I've been on lol.

Posted

i have tried : paxil, pamolor, serzone, navane, trazadone, prozac, effexor, lithium, lexapro, geodone, cymbalta, zoloft, visteril, lamictal, and wellbutrin (not ALL antidepressants)...

currently i am taking a coctail of prozac, wellbutrin, and lamictal... visteril prn for anxiety, trazadone for insomnia.. the day antidepressats are really good, but the trazadone makes me really groggy- and i can't sleep unless i take it... what a conundrum lol :hearts:

Posted

Last year I was prescribed Paxil for panic attacks. Currently I am on trazodone, serafem, and strattera (Although the strattera is for ADD). Is anyone having weird side effects from trazodone?

Posted

I didn't realize how many tries it takes most people to find a proper medication!

I only tried one -- Zoloft -- before they switched me to a mood stabilizer. I just started the 100mg dosage today, thank god; at 50mg my moods were all over the place.

Posted

Was diagnosed with panic disorder and depression. Was on Zoloft for many years. Then it pooped out. Tried Wellbutrin, gave me panic attacks, Remeron didn't work. Now I'm on Cymbalta, which was working initially. Now, after finding out I had really low testosterone levels, it does not seem to be working - even though I went through hormone therapy, and my testosterone is back within normal ranges. My Pdoc added seroquel, she believes that since I am resistant to other anti depressants that I could be classified as 'soft bipolar' or bipolar II.

Posted

The 2 I was on for any length of time were paxil and celexa. Both seemed to help but both had sexual side effects. Paxil's did not go away, celexa's sse's lessened over time. Paxil made me feel decent for awhile, then I started having night sweats and getting moody on it so I stopped. I think I have a tendency to stop taking meds when I feel good, thinking that I don't need them . Lately though I can't seem to take anything, Luvox gave me terrible diarrhea, lexapro also upset my digestive system and caused my anxiety to increase. Tried to go back on paxil, even though I did not want to , but initial side effects were rough there too. Currently just taking xanax and restoril to sleep. the xanax seems to smooth me out but seems like I could still use something to lift me up. Do most of you get your meds from a psychiatrist or from your primary care doc ? I've done both . Went to a pdoc (actually the nurse practitioner at his office) but they pretty much just gave me the same stuff my regualr doc had been trying, so I figured what's the point if they're all just going to shoot in the dark until something clicks, and besides my regular doc is more accessible.

Posted

Has anyone tried starting on an ssri like lexapro, etc.. and initially combining that with something like xanax to maybe knock down the anxiety effects of the lexapro startup ? I've never been on well butrin because I figured that with me having anxiety it might make it worse but maybe combined with xanax or something like it maybe that would work. Tried cymbalta once and was up for 2 days straight pretty much and it felt like someone was sticking knives in the top of my head. My wife also claims I'm ADD but she's got no documented proof (LOL). THis rough spot I've been going through fro the last year and half (and worse since Christmas) started after I had simple gallbladder surgery, which for some reason I freaked out about. Still trying to work that out. If anyone knows of a good therapist and or Pdoc in the Columbus, Ohio area let me know.

Posted

Hi,

I am on prozac which is working great for me. I have been on several others because

they seem to last about 4 years before pooping out and then I have to switch. During

the switchover period I use xanax to help me through the really rough times - it has been

a lifesaver for me. Once I am adjusted on a new med I quit taking the xanax and then

I start the cycle all over again! I took lexapro but it raised my bp and gave me stomach

cramps- so far it is the only med I havent had any success with. I hope you feel better

soon,

starr

Posted

I have tried so many different medications. The only one I truly have been on was Lexapro 20mg a day. It worked great the first 2 years, but I still had mood swings really bad and couldn't figure out why. I finally got diagnosed with bipolar and tried Cymbalta(so wanted to cut my head off because it hurt so bad from this med), Zybrexa(caused high blood sugars), Wellbutrin(didn't give it enough time, gave up), Paxil(headaches), Strattera(stop taking because copay was to high and also didn't really effect me).

Well I am now on Symbyax(Prozac and Zybrexa), I have now been on it for 10 full days. I started having to go to the bathroom(a lot, every 30 mins), so I called the DR and he said take it every other day until it gets in your system, so that's what I am doing. I find that when I bend over to pick something up, it feels like all my blood is rushing to my head and it hurts so bad for a while, the headaches come and goes, I sleep better at night(more deep sleep), I also find that it helps control my eating, I am not hungry all the time or think about food like I use too. I have a ED(bulimic) have been for a year and have now, so this drug has really help me not to purge or want to purge. I find that I want to eat smaller meals now so I don't over eat. I am so tired of suffering and making others suffer, I can't wait for the day when I feel better and have my life back to normal..well as normal can get anyways. LOL

God Bless you All~~

Posted

Hello,

Citalopram - 20-40mg Took this for 4/5 years. Pretty good but gave me ultra rapid cycling mania / depression (Bipolar III). Still, the highs were worth it. Good as a general mood elevator and much cleaner than the rest of the SSRI's

Cipralex 10-20 mg - Didn't notice any difference between this and citalopram.

Effexor 75mg - Horrible. Didn't do much for my depression. Made me a frothing loony. My anxiety went through the roof the first week. Harsh side effects. After 3 months of this, I'd had enough.

Mirtazapine - Useless. Hand on heart, this med was utterly useless. God knows why I stayed on it. Had the WORST episode of depression ever whilst on 45mg of this med and came closer to suicide than I'd done previously. Felt sleepy, gained weight. Did zip for depression and anxiety.

Sertraline - OK but no great shakes. Citalopram was much better. Very strong serotonergic side effects. Couldn't sleep, incredible muscle tension, dilated pupils, anxious though it did pull me out of the abyss.

Lamotrigine - I'm still undecided as to whether this did anything. I feel more depressed now having stopped it but I think that's due to other stuff going on in my life. Still, zero side effects.

Waiting for a psychiatrist appointment to talk meds. I want wellbutrin but don't think I can get it prescribed in the UK for depression. I want something that'll give me a shot of energy. I've given the usual SSRI's a good go. Now it's time to hit another bunch of neurotransmitters. I like the sound of ritalin or adderall. Haven't tried prozac or paxil. Don't think I want to either with the side effects.

Posted (edited)

Diag... Dysthemia/Atypical depression

History from 1995ish. on and off.

Prothieden - 1 month. Cant remember i was late teens. Prob got myself out the hole and stopped taking them.

Zoloft/Sertraline - 2 years, worked OK but made me fat and tired. Sex was a problem (orgasm)

Prozac/Fluoxetine - 1 Year, Worked well for a few months after the awful 6 weeks it takes to get going, then too tired, slept for hours, lethargic, apathy, carb craving and weight gain.

Effexor/Venlaflexine - 6 months. Nice strong effect, got me out a dark time but again always very tired and numb emotioanally. Sex a problem again. Eyes always glazed. Pooped out at 75 and doc didnt want to go higher for some reason?? Awfull time getting off them, awfull. Twitches lasted for 1 year after stopping and i gained weight after stopping.

Roboxetine 3 weeks - Made my manhood shrink ! Scared me away. More like speed.

Lexapro/Escitalapram 5 weeks - Made me not care about anything, craved alcohol and put on 5lbs in 5 weeks, also itched at ankles and yawned lots. Weight gain scared me off. Sex was a joke...numb.

Cymbalta/Duloxetine 4 weeks - Didnt sleep the whole time really, made me run like a lunatic for miles.

Manerix/Moclobomide. Present- Hardly any side effects but not much AD effect either. Seem in my own little world. Not happy, not sad. Anything above 300mg and i cant sleep and feel toxicated.. BP up al litlle. Seems very inconsistant. Not much motivation do do stuff One day is ok the next just blah..Alcohol makes me v moody following day. Goint to stick at 450. No dietty interactions as i dont eat much of the MAOI forbidden stuff.

Edited by over thinker

Posted (edited)

Citalopram 10mg - Felt so alive after EIGHT MONTHS and like I had never lived before when I took on a new job. Was unstoppable and had unlimited confidence then became incredibly anxious and caused nasty nerve shaking and burning. Came off three years later and crashed VERY HARD.

Amityriptyline 10mg - Made me sleepy all day but unable to sleep at night. Gave up after three days as I could not perform in work.

Sertraline - Diahhorea and burning effects much like the Citalopram. Gave up after one day.

Effexor 75mg - Seemed to work after half a day then suffered INSANE nerve shredding physical feelings and was in the bath for two days, did not sleep for the five days I was on it. Also killed my libido and had to stop taking it. Admitted into A&E for strong feelings of suicide and very scary heart palpatations.

Decided to go back to the Amitriptyline for physical pain, depression and anxiety. It has taken almost five months and I only just feel that it's working. But at least I feel like I can go back to work. I had debilitating side effects and a libido crash but after three months these have vanished 100%.

Edited by kirkwuk

Posted

too many to list