Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

What Time Of Day Do You Take Zoloft?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 idontknowmyself

idontknowmyself

ID: 12785

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:05 AM

Hi, I just wanna know what time of day you guys take the zoloft, i take 200 mg at night and thinking about changing to morning after doing some research and finding out its taken in the morning (usually).

I think when i take it at night then go to bed (trazodone makes me sleep) it kicks in while im asleep and when i wake up im not getting the full benefit of it during the day, but if i take it in the morning it will kick in in the morning then i will feel it more during the day, does that make any sense ?

Thanks,

#2 hedgehog

hedgehog

Platinum Member

ID: 16359

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 10:32 AM

Hi, I just wanna know what time of day you guys take the zoloft, i take 200 mg at night and thinking about changing to morning after doing some research and finding out its taken in the morning (usually).

I think when i take it at night then go to bed (trazodone makes me sleep) it kicks in while im asleep and when i wake up im not getting the full benefit of it during the day, but if i take it in the morning it will kick in in the morning then i will feel it more during the day, does that make any sense ?

Thanks,

Hi Idontknowmyself ,

Best to stick to what the doc recommended . I take my meds in the evening this is helping me to repair my shattered sleêp
pattern . As the effect of meds is culmative , the full effectiveness is not apparent till any thing from 3 to 5 weeks . It is probably best to stick to the rythem with which you began . It is best to refer back to your doc if you feel you would like to change .

Hugs Hedge
Posted Image

#3 idontknowmyself

idontknowmyself

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:21 PM

i been on zoloft for 2 months i just changed it to morning instead of night, plus i take trazodone at night to make me sleep. I just wanted to know for the people on "zoloft" when do you take it ? morning or night ?

Thanks,

PS. My doc gave me freedom of choice in the matter.

#4 DeeBear

DeeBear

ID: 10620

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hi idontknowmyself,

Like Hedge says, it is best to talk to your doc. Mine didn't have a problem with me taking zoloft in the morning, and I also take another AD at night which helps me sleep. I've heard many people say zoloft disturbs their sleep patterns, and while I've always had trouble sleeping, the zoloft does seem to make it worse (hence the second med to help with both depression and sleep.)

I also have found that by splitting my dose and taking part of it in the morning and a second dose at lunch, I don't feel "washed out" at the end of the day and my meds don't "hit" me so hard all at once, but of course, I had to, once again, go to my doc and talk it over with her so she'd prescribe the 25mg tablets instead of the 100. Just an idea for you to consider when you see your doc!

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Christopher

Christopher

Advanced Member

ID: 19158

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:41 PM

My doc told me it has to be taken in the morning, because otherwise one may start suffering from sleeplessness. I have not starte to take it on a regular basis yet.

#6 Joanna

Joanna

ID: 6297

• 7,272 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hi Idontknowmyself,

I take my Zoloft in the morning, and have been doing this for years. I wasn't told by my psychiatrist when I should take it though. He left that up to me.

Whenever I start a new AD, I always take it in the morning because that way, if I'm going to have a bad reaction to it, this would happen during the day when it would be easier to get some help (as opposed to having a bad reaction in the middle of the night, which would send me into an even greater panic!)....But of course that's just me.

Good luck!

Joanna

Edited by Joanna, 21 September 2007 - 04:53 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#7 idontknowmyself

idontknowmyself

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 21 September 2007 - 08:07 PM

Well, i know it is usually taken in the morning, but because it makes me feel a bit tired and lethargic (i dont know how you guys dont feel that on zoloft) he said to take it at night. I took it this morning as a trial (after i asked him OFCOURSE) and i did feel lethargic and a bit tired and zoned out, but at the same time i can feel a little benefit from taking it morning, i think.

Now im so frikin confused night day night day pros and cons, never satisfied. My question is how do you take a meds like zoloft at night if the peak level in your body is reached after 2 hours of a dose, that means ill be feeling the meds (daily kick in) while im in bed! what good can that do me.

I have no idea when to take it now, i tried both but morning for only 1 day maybe not enough.

Yes my doctor told me its my choice, so please dont tell me talk to your doctor because he doesnt like meds anyway, i think i need lithium.

peace

#8 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 09:45 AM

Hi idon'tknowmyself,

Of course, everybody reacts differently to a med - but I did have a similar experience when I was on another med, it helped my depression but made me sleepy no matter when I took it. Zoloft made me feel that way a bit at first, and I was afraid it would make me sleepy too, but that went away for me after a few days. I tried taking it at night at first, like I had the other med, but it kept me awake, and like you, my doc said it was my choice of when to take it.

And I hope you understand that we're only trying to help when we say talk to your doc, because all we can do is share our experiences here. I'm sorry your doc doesn't like meds - can you see another one with your depression? I know that's not always an option, but doctors all have different levels of experience in treating depression. I went to a doc that was wonderful at treating my grandfather's diabetes - but was horrible with my depression. It's not that he's a bad doc, just that he wasn't the right one for me, and treatment of depression is something that has always required me to communicate frequently with my doctor. For me, the more I talk to my doc, the better my treatment has been. I know that's not always easy, or possible, though, just wanted to let you know where I was coming from.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 christalonely

christalonely

ID: 19012

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 01:04 PM

I take mine in the morning..but I have taken it at night as well and never noticed any difference

- Christa Lynn

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always gotten.

#10 Peze24

Peze24

ID: 19607

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:15 AM

Thanks,

Hi, I take my 150mg in the morning (well, sometimes early afternoon) when I get up. I dont know for sure about how much it matters, but I read on the zoloft.com website that the average peak plasma levels (which Im pretty sure means when its being the most effective) is from 4-8 hours after taking it.

#11 Steeb

Steeb

ID: 16733

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:44 AM

I take mine (150mg) in the morning. I have tried it at night before and it gave me a bit of sleeplessness, so that's why.

#12 btab1085

btab1085

ID: 19757

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:05 AM

I just started taking Zoloft again, the first day I took it before I went to sleep and couldn't sleep. I was supposed to take it earlier this morning, but today I'm going to take it in a few minutes to see if that helps. Does taking it every other day lessen the side effects any? I don't have a therapist right now, and I'm taking 25 mg.

Edited by btab1085, 18 October 2007 - 11:05 AM.

"...but it's calm under the waves in the blue of my oblivion"

#13 kirkwuk

kirkwuk

ID: 12666

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:13 AM

My doctor advised that most anti-depressants should be taken at dinner time. Anyone tried that?

Just my two cents.
Beating depression since 2007

#14 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:13 PM

I split my dose and take zoloft twice a day, in the morning and at lunch, and am thankful that my doc worked with me and specified the 25mg tablets to make this easier. This has helped lessen the side effects for me, especially since if I take it all at once, it hits really hard at first, and then wears off by the end of the day. It could be related to the fact that I take the generic.

Also, and this could be in my head, but the side effects seem less severe if I take a multivitamin in the morning. I have another health issue which the vitamins are for, but it seems to me that if I forget my vitamin my zoloft related SE's are worse.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 eterea

eterea

ID: 1767

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:35 PM

My pdoc just bumped me up to 150 mg and I take it in the morning. I take most of my meds in the morning because I want to make sure that I remember to take them. It's turned into a bit of a ritual. My pdoc didn't specify when to take my Zoloft.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Donal

Donal

ID: 20313

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 06:00 PM

I have taken it in the morning from the start.

#17 Burman

Burman

ID: 21801

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

I take my dose in the morning because it affects my sleep. I have to take klonopin at night in order to get a good nights sleep.

#18 terrifictuesdays47

terrifictuesdays47

Gold Member

ID: 13064

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 04:50 AM

I did every morning when I was on it, whenever I woke up. I once took it twice in 1 day by accident. YIKES! :)

#19 nova

nova

ID: 22187

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:19 PM

I take it in the evening with dinner. My doctor advised me that in regard to getting the most out of the medicine, taking it with food was more important than taking it at a certain time of day - and my breakfasts are anything but regular. He said that as long as it didn't interfere with my sleeping, taking it at night was just as good as in the morning.

#20 Joanna

Joanna

ID: 6297

• 7,272 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:55 PM

I take it in the evening with dinner. My doctor advised me that in regard to getting the most out of the medicine, taking it with food was more important than taking it at a certain time of day - and my breakfasts are anything but regular. He said that as long as it didn't interfere with my sleeping, taking it at night was just as good as in the morning.

Hi nova,

I agree with you and your doc that it's important to take Zoloft with food. That's my experience too. I always take my Zoloft in the morning after breakfast, but I was recently abroad and the time difference was 8 hours ahead of my usual, local time. This meant I was taking my Zoloft in the early evening for a while. I didn't notice that this had any effect on my mood. My sleeping was disrupted, but I'm pretty sure that was just down to jet lag.

It's interesting to hear about other people's experiences. Thanks for sharing!

Wishing you all the very best.

Joanna
Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#21 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 11:04 PM

I take a small dose in the morning, usually along with a little snack since I don't eat much for breakfast, and a second small dose at lunch. For me, it keeps me up at night if I take it later in the afternoon, but then again, disturbed sleep runs in my family, and splitting the dose in two does a better job of keeping my mood level throughout the day.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 whitemage2817

whitemage2817

ID: 24002

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

I take 50 mg in the morning, although i'm still having trouble staying asleep.

#23 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

I've always had trouble sleeping, and the zoloft didn't help. My doc gave me another med that helped me sleep and also helped with my depression/anxiety, so definitely bring this up the next time you go! It makes a huge difference when you an get the rest you need.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users