Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Does Effexor Numb You???

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Sunshine2

Sunshine2

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 10:46 PM

I am no longer on Effexor but have been on it for a number of years; quite frankly I wish I had never been on it. I felt
like I was on auto-pilot, doing things because I had to but gathering no enjoyment out of the things that used to give me
enjoyment. The only good thing about Effexor is that it worked effectively as a numbing agent, great when coping with
grief and it was great at containing any anger but aside from that not much good.

It did make me fill full so I wasn't eating as much but I still felt depressed. One day (about 1 month ago) I decided that
I had had enough of feeling this way and that I had to make some changes so hence I tapered off in a matter of a fortnight; I'm now on Avanza and am starting to feel alive again, still only early stages so I don't know whether they
will prove to be effective.

How do you feel whilst being on Effexor? Does it numb you?

DO you feel motivated? Are you looking forwards to getting out of bed and into your daily routine?

Are you able to sleep okay? etc etc.

#2 swinn

swinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:18 AM

I am no longer on Effexor but have been on it for a number of years; quite frankly I wish I had never been on it. I felt
like I was on auto-pilot, doing things because I had to but gathering no enjoyment out of the things that used to give me
enjoyment. The only good thing about Effexor is that it worked effectively as a numbing agent, great when coping with
grief and it was great at containing any anger but aside from that not much good.

It did make me fill full so I wasn't eating as much but I still felt depressed. One day (about 1 month ago) I decided that
I had had enough of feeling this way and that I had to make some changes so hence I tapered off in a matter of a fortnight; I'm now on Avanza and am starting to feel alive again, still only early stages so I don't know whether they
will prove to be effective.

How do you feel whilst being on Effexor? Does it numb you?

DO you feel motivated? Are you looking forwards to getting out of bed and into your daily routine?

Are you able to sleep okay? etc etc.

Hummm, let me see. Well, I am tired just about all the time and don't have much motivation but I have to say the anxiety is much less and I'm not depressed. I sleep better than I did before I took it but it's hard to get out of bed in the morning. I guess you could say there is a numbing effect but when I compare that to being anxious all the time...I'll take numbing. I had been on Wellbutrin for years and it wore out and didn't help the anxiety or depression anymore at all.

I'm only on 75 mg. because the doctor doesn't want to up it with the side effects I still have. I get dizzy too but not as bad. I've been on it for about 5 months.
Sally

#3 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:37 PM

Sunshine:

I've been taking 450 mgs of Effexor for the last 7 years. At first, it did, indeed, numb me. I, too, felt like I was auto-pilot.

The good news is the feeling goes away. I can't recall exactly when I adjusted to the med, but I know i did. It does get better.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#4 Guest_shadowlesss_*

Guest_shadowlesss_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 01:53 PM

D***,i did get that but i never knew it was Effoxor.i thought it was the time depression lasts which tired me out.my god

#5 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

Shadowless:

Effexor causes a numbness. Sort of like being on auto-pilot, going through the motions without caring. Depression can also cause this feeling, plus severe fatigue, too. It's hard to say which - the med or the illness - made you feel this way without further discussion and a little background.

Are you feeling better now? Are you currently taking any meds? Which ones?

:hearts:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#6 GinnyP

GinnyP

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:53 PM

D***,i did get that but i never knew it was Effoxor.i thought it was the time depression lasts which tired me out.my god

Maybe you were right and it wasn't the med. I felt the same after a few months on 75 mg, numb and tired, not worse but not better. But then I increased to 150 mg and I felt a new energy. Now it turns out it's still not enough, but it did improve after increasing the dosage.

All I can say is, as Beanchop said, it's very difficult to know and you should be careful about what doctors said. I saw two psychiatrists while on 75 mg and when I asked if it was normal to be so tired, they both said that effexor is supposed to stimulate, so it can't tire you. But none of them went a step further and told me that it must have been depression, meaning the med was not strong enough. As for the doc who finally increased it, taking a low dosage can "trap" you in a numb state. But she thought I was like that because of effexor, and not because of depression. So she tried to make me stop after only a few months. Now it's a year later and I'm still in an awful state, still not knowing who's right and who's wrong, what's efficient and what's not right for me.
The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
J.K. Rowling

#7 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:11 PM

Ginny:

I'm so sorry that you're having such a difficult time. :hearts:

Are you currently under a doc's care? Are you currently taking meds?

Just looking for a little background so I can better answer your post.

:bump:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#8 GinnyP

GinnyP

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:20 PM

Ginny:

I'm so sorry that you're having such a difficult time. :bump:

Are you currently under a doc's care? Are you currently taking meds?

Just looking for a little background so I can better answer your post.

:shocked:

-Bean

Thanks Bean.

The answer is yes to both your questions. Luckily I'd already started not trusting that doc when she told me to stop, so I decreased much slower than she intended, and when I saw how terrible I felt when I tried to stop, I told her that I couldn't. Then I had to see another doctor anyway for financial reasons, and for a few months I've been back on 150 mg. And more importantly, the doc I'm seeing now has no intention to decrease the dosage. So I'm finally able to have a regular treatment. Now I'm wondering if even 150 is enough, but I couldn't know before, because the treatment was so irregular, I thought my mood swings were because of that.
:hearts: God, it's so complicated...
J.K. Rowling

#9 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:31 PM

Ginny:

It is complicated. Your mood swings could be caused by either depression or Effexor. It's so difficult to isolate the reason.

Talk to your new doc. See if he/she agrees that a higher dosage would be a good idea, even it's just on a trial basis.

I think upping your dose - with a doc's approval, of course - would be a good idea. This way you can see if the higher dose improves your mood swings. If that doesn't work, you can always decrease your dose (again, with your doc's approval).

Talk to your doc. Please let us know what your doc says.

:hearts:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#10 GinnyP

GinnyP

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:39 PM

Ginny:

It is complicated. Your mood swings could be caused by either depression or Effexor. It's so difficult to isolate the reason.

Talk to your new doc. See if he/she agrees that a higher dosage would be a good idea, even it's just on a trial basis.

I think upping your dose - with a doc's approval, of course - would be a good idea. This way you can see if the higher dose improves your mood swings. If that doesn't work, you can always decrease your dose (again, with your doc's approval).

Talk to your doc. Please let us know what your doc says.

-Bean

:hearts: This dialogue on two different posts is getting hard to follow. I'm going to bed anyway, it's 2 am here, so I'd better go to sleep. But before that I just wanted to thank you for you advice and to say how invaluable this forum is. I've had more information and answers in a few days than I had in years. It feels so comforting to talk here with people who understand and KNOW what they're talking about.

So thanks Bean and everyone. I promise I'll let you know what happens.
:shocked:
J.K. Rowling

#11 Guest_shadowlesss_*

Guest_shadowlesss_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

Shadowless:

Effexor causes a numbness. Sort of like being on auto-pilot, going through the motions without caring. Depression can also cause this feeling, plus severe fatigue, too. It's hard to say which - the med or the illness - made you feel this way without further discussion and a little background.

Are you feeling better now? Are you currently taking any meds? Which ones?

-Bean

i m still taking Effoxor as long as it keeps me from depression. thanks though :hearts:

#12 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 09:24 AM

I'm on 225mg and I'm not feeling numb, but have heard over the years that some people feel that they feel less on meds than they do without meds. I guess we are all different and willl react differently to things. Maybe its to do with our personalities. People with a more pessimistic, melancholic personality may not have much 'feelings' anyway (remember I am not a medic so I'm just making an assumption you can shoot me down if you like).

I do have problems sleeping, but I was told by a psychiatrist that Efexor is a stimulating med and shouldn't be taken at night. But depression can cause problems sleeping. And if you have problems sleeping at night then you will feel tired during the day. Also depresssion can make you tired.

I'm not very motivated at all, but this is the depression and general problems that I have and not the med.

The first time I took Efexor it really perked me up for the first few weeks. I was almost hyper and felt 'up', things were brighter, but it didn't last.

Eileen
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

#13 Sunshine2

Sunshine2

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 08:15 PM

Thank you for your responses. I am certain that the lack of motivation is due to the Effexor, the numbing effect also numbed my motivation, I felt more energetic whilst on Effexor but without the motivation what is the point of feeling more
energetic when you would rather spend the day in bed!!! I am now on Avanza but I don't think I will be staying on this med
for much longer....

#14 warpysaint

warpysaint

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 11:50 PM

Thank you for your responses. I am certain that the lack of motivation is due to the Effexor, the numbing effect also numbed my motivation, I felt more energetic whilst on Effexor but without the motivation what is the point of feeling more
energetic when you would rather spend the day in bed!!! I am now on Avanza but I don't think I will be staying on this med
for much longer....

I have dealt with the sort of 'mood disorder' aspects of depression for my entire adult life, it's the 'cognitive symptoms' that really freak me out. I remember seeing "suicide hotline ads" that said "if you or anyone you know are thinking about suicide..." and thinking (erroneously):"Well that's just dumb.... EVERYBODY thinks about suicide." Thoughts of self destruction were a fairly regular phenomenon. It wasn't until my short term memory deteriorated, my ability to concentrate was failing, and I would suffer bouts of disorientation (like I just woke up from a daydream and had no idea how much time had passed or what I was supposed to be doing) that I decided I needed to talk to my doctor. So far, effexor has been the best AD I've tried at relieving those 'brain farts,' I still get 'down' emotionally sometimes, but I think I am much better able to handle that than not being able to remember what my wife asked me to do ten seconds earlier, what I was supposed to do next at work, or why the heck I walked into the room I find myself standing in! I am up to 225mg now and a little bit apprehensive because the last AD I tried seemed to just peter-out at regular intervals, and if the same biology applies to this one, I'll likely have to switch to something different in 6 months or so, and since I get 'uncomfortable' if I am as little as 5 hours late taking my pill, I can only guess what coming off of this will be like. I have been able to get so much more done, and felt somewhat enabled to effect changes in lifestyle to help keep stress levels lower, perhaps someday our illustrious pharmaceutical companies won't need to be my good buddies anymore. Hmmm not sure if I addressed the 'numbing' effect question, but I guess I haven't really noticed anything like that.
-WS
In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -Douglas Adams The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

"I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert, but I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime..." -Big CountryPosted Image

#15 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,222 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 11:28 AM

WS:

I take 450 mgs of Effexor, along with 5 other meds. Like you, I start to feel slight withdrawal symptoms if I forgot a dose. If I ever need to quit it, it will be hell.

Seven years ago, my doc started me 150 mgs. Over time that dosage has been increased to 450. Wellbutrin, Lithium, Risperdal, Xanax and Halcion have been added. This cocktail works fine for me.

If Effexor starts petering out on you, instead of finding a new med altogether, ask your doc if adding in an additional med would work.

Please keep us updated.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#16 nero82

nero82

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:23 AM

Hi guys,
I'm on 450mg, and I actually can't report feeling numb. My side effects were: dry mouth, which went away after a few weeks thankfully, it was so dry I had to drink water with each bite of food just so I could swallow. And got terrible mouth ulcers!
I have the sexual side effect, which I just put up with. I can still perform, but it just doesnt feel as good as it used to. I actually noticed that side effect kick in about 48 hours after taking my first dose, so it was def. the med.
But my god... the withdrawls. I HAVE to take mine EVERY day or its all over. By nighttime of a day when I forget, my head is spinning, I can't think and it feels like there is lightning going off through my brain. And annoyingly, they have stopped making the fast release formula, so all I can do is take my usual slow release dose and wait it out.
Everyone has different effects, I think the guy on that crazymeds site put it best though. You just have to weigh it up. And I think most of the time the good effects outweigh the side effects. Personally I would rather zombie through life than screaming every night and wishing I wasn't such a coward and could just go jump off somthing.
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep--
-- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#17 Rs DH

Rs DH

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:40 AM

I am a new member, so first off let me say hello to everyone!

I have been on effexor since Wed of last week. I went in for inpatient treatment after being unmedicated for about 5 years. I am on effexor and concerta (I am also ADHD alongside my depression.) and between the two, I am totally energized and feel renewed. My only problem so far is inability to reach orgasm. I do NOT feel numb though. I have been through the full range of fear, emotional pain, happiness, love, etc within the past few days after being on it, it just helps the lows not be AS low.

I hope thing work out for you and above all else, try to build a local support group for yourself. I havethe numbers of 4 other patients who were in the ward with me and we all agreed to act as a sunding board and crisis intervention safety net for each other.

#18 nero82

nero82

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:18 PM

Welcome Rs DH.

I know what you mean about the good effects of effexor. To me it felt like it enabled me to feel happy. Before I was on it, i was incapable of happiness, but on it, it just enables me to lift myself up.
The inability to reach orgasm may well get better. When that side effect first kicked in for me I couldnt orgasm either. It slowly got better so that It was possible, though not consistently. Now after 2 years Its fine, just it feels a bit different to how it used to.

Great news about the other people in your ward. It sounds like a good idea!

Nero
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep--
-- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

#19 Maho

Maho

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:46 PM

im not sure if it numbs me... i think it used to,
about a month ago my dosage got upped, wich was supposed to make me feel better, (im on 225 now)
it was upped because i diddnt feel it was working anymore, but now about 4 weeks into the new dose, i still feel the same, if not worse.

so maybe it did numb me, but i'd take that over this any day!

#20 Fearful

Fearful

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:11 PM

I was on 300 mg of it and I felt so numb. Someone could say they died and I would just respond "okay" and not have a clue what I was truly feeling.

#21 firelizardee

firelizardee

Lifetime Platinum Mermber

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 09:38 AM

Some people say they feel numb, I haven't though. It is something to talk about with your dr. Or maybe its how you feel normally, when not depressed. Could it be like that?
Take care
Firelizardee

"Eat a live frog before breakfast and nothing worse will happen to you all day"
"Only Robinson Crusoe can get things done by Friday!"

Posted ImagePosted Image

Suicide help on DF

UK help for people who are suicidal

I am not a medical professional, when I reply to posts I do so basing my reply on personal experience or a wish to support the poster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users