Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Stopped Taking Meds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ghost79

Ghost79

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:18 PM

After 6 years i stopped taking meds but now 2 months has passed and i have never been so down and hurting inside, is this because my mind got used to the meds? And if so will i be able to keep deppresion better at bay as time passes by?

#2 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:05 PM

Many people have to continue meds indefinitely to keep their depression under control. It's hard to say if you will get any better on your own, but if you've "never been so down and hurting inside", then I think you should consider starting meds again.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#3 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,968 posts

Posted 16 September 2007 - 12:52 PM

Actually meds help with serotonin levels that determine how you feel mentally. Without the AD's you were taking, the serotonin levels drop down and lead you back to depression. Most people cannot get themselves out of depression without help. I think you should pay your GP or pdoc a visit and let them know how you are doing off meds. Do not get discouraged if you have to take AD's on a long-term basis (I will be taking meds for the rest of my life) to remain depression free.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#4 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,671 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:32 PM

Hi Ghost!

You know you have a very valid question. I often wondered that too. Because I took the meds so long, my brain has come to rely on them, so after being in balance for so long with meds, it can carry on being in balance without the meds. I would ask my doctor about that and let us know what he says.

I can tell you this from my experience. I was on Paxil for 10 years. Decided hey maybe we got on track now and my brain can carry on its own normally and in balance. I did taper off.

I went thru the worst depression ever!!!!! It lasted 8 months. So, that should have been enough time to get straight. But no, and it was bad!!! Only this time, meds werent working for me. It took many tries of meds to get me out of the depression because it was so severe. My pdoc hung in there with me trying different ones. Finally.........a combination worked!!!! I know I could not have waited much longer. Life had no meaning.

Now I am ME again!!! If it takes meds to keep my chemistry in balance for life, so be it!! I am so very grateful he was able to find something that worked. Just wanted to share that with you. :hearts: Hang in there and see your doc!!! Let us know how it goes!!! Best Wishes!!!

Gentle Sun

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#5 darkages40

darkages40

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

I stopped taking my meds after years at one point also. I only recently started up again because the zoloft was working and I neede something different. I'm also a diabetic. The reason I'm telling you that if I stop taking meds for that I'll get real sick and .....well you get the picture. Like a diabetic you may need to take the med the rest of your life. I know the pain of depression all to well and if you helps you out of this darkness you feel don't stop. I also believe seeking help like talking to somone is also half the help. Hope that helps.

Steve
And bless us all
With his oratory prowess,
His lame-brained antics and his jumping in the air.
And every night his act's the same
And so it must be all a game of chess he's playing--
But you're wrong, Steve. you see, it's only solitaire.
-Jethro Tull-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users