Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

7 Ways To Make Yourself Happier In The Next Hour

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

ID: 2

• Super Administrators
  • 15,152 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:41 AM

7 Ways to Make Yourself Happier in the Next Hour

You can make yourself happier — and it doesn’t have to be a long-term ambition. You can start right now. In the next hour, check off as many of the following items as possible. Each of these accomplishments will lift your mood, as will the mere fact that you’ve tackled and achieved some concrete goals. The first one is to boost your energy, which can be an easy, quick transformation...

1. Boost your energy: stand up and pace while you talk on the phone or, even better, take a brisk ten-minute walk outside. Research shows that when people move faster, their metabolism speeds up, and the activity and sunlight are good for your focus, your mood, and the retention of information. Plus, because of “emotional contagion,” if you act energetic, you’ll help the people around you feel energetic too.

2. Reach out to friends: make a lunch date or send an email to a friend you haven’t seen in a while. Having warm, close bonds with other people is one of the keys to happiness, so take the time to stay in touch. Somewhat surprisingly, it turns out that socializing boosts the moods not only of extroverts, but also of introverts.

3. Rid yourself of a nagging task: answer a difficult e-mail, purchase something you need, or call to make that dentist’s appointment. Crossing an irksome chore off your to-do list will give you a big rush of energy and cheer, and you’ll be surprised that you procrastinated for so long.

4. Create a calmer environment: clear some physical and mental space around your desk by sorting papers, pitching junk, stowing supplies, sending out quick responses, filing, or even just making your piles neater. A large stack of little tasks can feel overwhelming, but often just a few minutes of work can make a sizeable dent. Try to get in the habit of using the “one minute rule” — i.e., never postpone any task that can be completed in less than one minute. An uncluttered environment will contribute to a more serene mood.

5. Lay the groundwork for some future fun: order a book you’ve been wanting to read (not something you think you should read) or plan a weekend excursion to a museum, hiking trail, sporting event, gardening store, movie theater — whatever sounds like fun. Studies show that having fun on a regular basis is a pillar of happiness, and anticipation is an important part of that pleasure. Try to involve friends or family, as well; people enjoy almost all activities more when they’re with other people than when they’re alone.

6. Do a good deed: make an e-mail introduction of two people who could help each other, or set up a blind date, or shoot someone a piece of useful information or gratifying praise. Do good, feel good — this really works. Also, although we often believe that we act because of the way we feel, in fact, we often feel because of the way we act. When you act in a friendly way, you’ll strengthen your feelings of friendliness for other people.

7. Act happy: put a smile on your face right now, and keep smiling. Research shows that even an artificially induced smile has a positive influence on your emotions — turns out that just going through the motion of happiness brightens your mood. And if you’re smiling, other people will perceive you as being friendlier and more approachable.

Some people worry that wanting to be happier is a selfish goal. To the contrary. Studies show that happier people are more sociable, likeable, healthy, and productive — and they’re more inclined to help other people. So in working to boost your own happiness, you’re benefiting others as well.
Feel happier yet?

Gretchen Rubin is writing The Happiness Project, an account of the year she spent test-driving the current scientific studies and wisdom of the ages about how to be happy. On her popular blog, The Happiness Project, she recounts her day-to-day adventures as she strives to be happier.

• pensiveone, vzlacuttie, clown xo and 5 others like this

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.

My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#2 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:15 PM

I LOVE THIS, LINDSAY!! :hearts: I'm going to refer to it often.

I love how simple and manageable the suggestions are!
:bump:

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#3 daisychain

daisychain

Platinum Member

ID: 17143

• Platinum Member
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 02:40 PM

Some excellent ideas here :hearts: especially number 2. I know when you feel depressed sometimes the last thing you feel like doing is to make the effort to meet a friend.

I was a bit like that today. I offered to meet somebody that I had only met once before and her sister[ whom I had never met ] for coffee. They had come from London to my town for the day so I met up with them and showed them around too. I made myself go but I really enjoyed it!!!

I do have to push myself at times.

love Daisychain.
Posted ImagePosted Image

I’ve learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend.

#4 QNA

QNA

ID: 18623

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 01:49 PM

I meant to start doing a lot of those things today, at least all but part of number 7...I haven't SMILED since 1986.
'Love is a strange emotion. When one thinks of it, a conflicting multitude of thoughts arise. Love is pitiful and marvelous, empowering and parasitic. It is hideous; it is beautiful. It is weak and strong at the same time. Love has started wars, ended wars, caused the depression and death of millions, as well as caused uncountable others to be thrown to the heights of ecstasy. So is love truly such a pure, lovely thing? I think it is a mixture of both. Just as nothing is purely good or evil, so is love.'

Anonymous

#5 Poogles213

Poogles213

ID: 19762

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 02:53 PM

I know how much #7 is true...at my job I have to be friendly and approachable, making me have to force a lot of smiles...and usually I feel at least a little better after a few hours of this.
  • Handon Frypan likes this

#6 momof2gr8kids

momof2gr8kids

ID: 17685

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 03:16 PM

I'm printing this one and keeping it nearby
I need some simple strategies to help me feel like I can do this!

#7 Thunder

Thunder

ID: 21336

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:51 PM

Thanks,love this esp no.4 as I know that by doing this really helps me.
Will be printing this out. :hearts:

#8 doubletalkinjive

doubletalkinjive

ID: 21714

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:41 AM

Some good suggestions there. I often go for a short jogs because it makes me feel better. I also like sticking close to friends because really they're pretty much the only thing that keeps me happy.

#9 Uinen

Uinen

ID: 22529

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

I found that I do pace often, when I am desperate for something to help me.... I can't force a smile on my face though... it might as well hurt.

#10 imsodepressed

imsodepressed

ID: 24555

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

the "acting happy" thing definitely worked for me...it's tough sometimes to force myself to do it though. and i still feel alone but it helps! haha..so doe s reaching out to a friend

#11 azerty

azerty

ID: 24010

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for this , I have made a copy for frequent reading , and smile practising !!

#12 johnx

johnx

ID: 25436

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:58 PM

And when none of this does a D*** thing?

#13 Isabeau

Isabeau

ID: 17697

• Platinum Member
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:30 AM

I just came across this post right now, but I just done a few of those things and feel pretty good at the moment.

Thanks Lindsay, I think its a super post!!!

HUGS
Isabeau :hearts:

IS-A-BOW
© AJ

We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes,
and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.

#14 bluefinger

bluefinger

ID: 25902

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

numbers six on seven on that list are great and are quite easy ti achieve on this site. i'd urge everyone to look through the forums and find someone that they can offer support or advice to. it will hopefully make the recipient feel better and helping someone (even someone you don't know) can lift your spirit.
Great list Lindsay

Edited by bluefinger, 12 July 2008 - 08:24 PM.

#15 Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Admin Team

ID: 4

• Super Administrators
  • 14,469 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 03:31 PM

numbers six on seven on that list are great and are quite easy ti achieve on this site. i'd urge everyone to look through the forums and find someone that they can offer support or advice to. it will hopefully make the recipient feel better and helping someone (even someone you don't know) can lift your spirit.
Great list Lindsay

Thank you blue :hearts:

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

"One person can make a difference through their seemingly small actions" ~Unknown
"To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived". ~ Bessie Stanley

Depression Forums are PG rated and we comply with Health on the Net's HONcode
goldenvelope1jr.gifplatinumstar.jpg

Hotlines

#16 Mirthless

Mirthless

ID: 551

• PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

Awesome stuff! I think I've gone after these goals at one time or another to try to alleviate some of my depression, but I've never seen them all nicely listed and briefly explained before ... it's so nice to have a little structure in what seems like such a chaotic time in my life, and to have all of these helpful hints available in one reference is really astounding ... this could be the stuff that guides me through a much less painful winter ... putting some positive spin on that, it could actually leave me feeling content and joyful. Good stuff!

Thanks for sharing it with us!

P.S. I printed it out! I never print anything out! :D

Edited by Mirthless, 02 November 2008 - 08:50 PM.

#17 DesertLily

DesertLily

ID: 6300

• Platinum Member
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:07 AM

I just found this topic, I like it a lot and all of those things are so true! Before I came into school I did all of those except 4 and I feel really great. Especially the walking helps me, and setting up lunch dates w/ friends(which is this Thurs =)
~Ann

"Our Greatest Glory Consists Not In Never Falling, But In Rising Every Time We Fall"-- Unknown

#18 Serenity_Gate

Serenity_Gate

ID: 41065

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:33 AM

Thanks Lindsay,
As soon as I read this, I went out with a bag and pulled out a whole heap of weeds, felt better until I saw how many there were!!!!!!!!
Well, It will give more more to do
Have a beautiful day
Peace, Happiness & Serenity to you all

#19 pocketlily

pocketlily

ID: 42185

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 11:59 PM

I love 1-6 but 7 irks me a bit.

I spent years pretending to be happier than I am to keep up appearances. When days came by when I couldn't be happy bubbly me everyone would ask what's wrong and some people even said they missed happy me. Nothing makes you feel worse than to think that people prefer the fake you to the real you.

#6 is my favorite. I always feel better after making a stranger at the drive through smile or letting someone out in a difficult to cross intersection. The little things make more of an effect on my day than anything else.

Just my $0.02

#20 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:54 AM

Yes I like these type of tasks - simple and straightforward and a challenge to apply in one hour - Great Stuff

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#21 Aniela

Aniela

ID: 43842

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:00 AM

This is helpful for me except number 6. I don't know how to do a good deed without screwing it up (I have been trying and found out that I upset 5 people in only 3 months and can't seem to fix it). I know that most of those will greately help me though. Thanks for this! I will refer to it often!
I try to be strong and not let them see my vulnerability.
I have a chronic need for approval but am told it's not about me.
I really want to belong somewhere and just to be happy....
To be wanted by those around me, especially friends and family.

#22 jimbow15

jimbow15

Platinum Member

ID: 35694

• Platinum Member
  • 9,241 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:24 AM

Well I have printed this out and applied it for the last 2 weeks with great effect.

Jim Bow
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." Albert E.

Information supplied on Depression Forums by members should not be relied upon and is not a substitute for medical advice from a health professional or doctor.

#23 JavaPower

JavaPower

ID: 53851

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:16 AM

Might try some.

#24 Hopefulx

Hopefulx

ID: 53971

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:30 AM

This is a great thread! Very upbeat. I hope I can find my way back here. I saw a place where you can "watch" certain forums here. Anyway, today I'm going to go see a movie with a friend. I always enjoy seeing her and it will be great to get out of the house. Very good suggestions. Thanks! I'm new here, and I have found that when we connected to a group of people that are wanting to move towards a healthier lifestyle, it's motivating. It's like we have been shipwrecked and we are all helping each other survive and get to safety.
  • gentle sun likes this
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
Albert Einstein

#25 lindahurt

lindahurt

Platinum Member

ID: 53269

• Platinum Member
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

This is a great thread! Very upbeat. I hope I can find my way back here. I saw a place where you can "watch" certain forums here. Anyway, today I'm going to go see a movie with a friend. I always enjoy seeing her and it will be great to get out of the house. Very good suggestions. Thanks! I'm new here, and I have found that when we connected to a group of people that are wanting to move towards a healthier lifestyle, it's motivating. It's like we have been shipwrecked and we are all helping each other survive and get to safety.

Welcome to DF Hopeflulx. I agree. Its a great thread. They have many here. I'm glad to you are going out to see a movie with a friend. Have fun.

Lindahurt

Edited by lindahurt, 31 October 2010 - 05:49 PM.

Even in the most horrific of situations, one's attitude has an enormous role in shaping what happens ~ Viktor Frankl
In you lies the power to choose, to commit - Stephen Convey

The kind of person you want to become is greatly influence by your inner decisions, and not from outside influence alone. We can even under adverse circumstances, decide what shall become of us ~ Brian C. Stiller

Posted Image

#26 Jellyfish

Jellyfish

ID: 67933

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:22 PM

In response to this, I just checked my email (which I've been avoiding because my boss emails me and my work situation feels completely impossible right now). So, I read my email, and it turns out that instead of being lectured or scolded or anything like that, everything is working out far better than I would have assumed. Then, the pharmacy called (as they have been doing for days) and I actually picked up so they will stop calling. And then I talked to my mother one the phone for 25 minutes (while pacing!). So, thanks for posting this! This made my day a little bit better and me a little less anxious.
  • gentle sun likes this

#27 darkest_soul

darkest_soul

ID: 66020

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

I think I will print this out and keep it on my fridge as a reminder. Sometimes it's so hard to remember to do the simple things. And it's always important to take time for YOU.
  • starla1979 likes this

#28 kurt983

kurt983

ID: 70573

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

The energy boost thing is totally true. I was feeling like crap for most of today but somehow I managed to pick myself up and get myself into the gym with my mp3 player. I have a pretty good exercise mix of upbeat songs.

I lifted weights and did a bunch of cardio, and by the end I was practically dancing into the shower! :biggrin:

#29 Handon Frypan

Handon Frypan

ID: 42964

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:59 AM

I like most of those. I think #7 might work just be virtue of the fact that knowing I had a fake smile might make me giggle. Knowing others are like "who is that freaky person and why is he smiling in such a forced manner?"
  • gentle sun likes this

#30 SueIssydal1

SueIssydal1

ID: 68305

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:55 AM

Thank you for posting this Lindsay, I am certain that many will be encouraged and helped by these simple and very achievable ideas. The Enery thing works well for me.

Thanks again,

S

#31 Dogsbody

Dogsbody

ID: 78999

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:59 AM

Walking is good even if it's a trip to the corner store. Another good thing is making cereal bars to graze on during the day. There are plenty of receipes for these, they store well and we don't need to eat more than a bar. Cheap to make and more nutritious than bought in the shops. My daughter calls cereal bars "brain food". True I say, but also they're tummy food of the nicest kind. :)

#32 Lucbut

Lucbut

ID: 85877

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:21 AM

I have found that exercise is good for you, to get outside and get some fresh air and if you are lucky get out into the country. I reaction to bad things is to walk away - I do not like confrontation. I usually get the bad stuff out the further I walk usually through self talk going through the pro's and cons. And making a to do list even if it is simple things like washing, dressing and eating is good. And break big things down to smaller chunks - get the envelope for a letter, address it and stamp it if you have an important letter to write it is remarkable that just doing that leads to you finishing the job.
  • gentle sun likes this

#33 Woman32

Woman32

ID: 83991

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

8. Eat your favorite chocolate!!!!!!

#34 starla1979

starla1979

ID: 88831

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:15 PM

Thank you to the OP, that's a great list of advice. After self-medicating myself for depression and anxiety for so long, I kind of forgot the importance of the simple concept of getting out in the sunlight and excercising. I'm so pale, people have said I look like a ghost. Thanks again for the great tips.

#35 SunshineRayy

SunshineRayy

Advanced Member

ID: 111178

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

SOO agree with this article! Especially #1, even if it's difficult to make my lazy behind get up! :P

“A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”

:hearts:

#36 Mr Wright

Mr Wright

ID: 111556

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

I think that happiness is what we are ultimately seeking for in our life

thanks for this 6 easy ways to make yourself happier

second one is the best, I sure I can count at least 5 good friends and we should nourish our friendships to help enrich our own personal happiness.

#37 BetsyLu

BetsyLu

ID: 113361

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the list! 

I have more of a struggle with anxiety than depression, but I will keep this in mind on the rare occasions that I am feeling depressed but not too anxious. :) 

#38 cjay

cjay

ID: 123257

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

:online2long: ah...I always forget to do these little things. Though my cat is right beside me...lickin' 'is paws. That makes me happy. I would like to get outside more. I am such a homebody.  Reading for FUN??? What's that???  Not really. I love to read. I needed these reminders. Thanks! 

Sending cyber-comfort

:computer:  :console: 

Cjay

#39 gentle sun

gentle sun

ID: 6842

• Platinum Member
  • 4,732 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

My husband talks to everyone he meets and they respond because he is so relaxed and talks like he already knows them.  Im more quiet, so I am trying to say a little something besides hello to strangers and it does make me feel good...and them too I notice.

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#40 lastevns

lastevns

ID: 124030

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I'm very goal-oriented so this list is super helpful (it gives me something to work on immediately). Also, I found your signature line with the link to The Happiness Project really interesting and signed up for everything over there. Thank you for the great resources.

Edited by lastevns, 14 September 2014 - 10:36 AM.

• gentle sun and lastevns like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users