Advertisement
maintainin

How Long Before You Consistently Felt Better On Cymbalta

How long before you consistently felt better on cymbalta   80 members have voted

1. 1. How long before you consistently felt better on cymbalta

• 1 week
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • 5 weeks
    • 6+ weeks
    • Never

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

84 posts in this topic

Posted

Advertisement

I'm on day 8 eight of cymbalta. Just wondering how long it took it to really kick in for other folks.

You might also be interested in:

Posted

I'm only on week 3... I felt great for the first week, then had a change in mood my second week, thought the pills weren't working and my depression was coming back worse than before. But it must of been just my body adjusting to the meds cuz now on week 3 I feel great again.

Posted

It took me about three weeks to start consistently feeling better.

I'm on day 8 eight of cymbalta. Just wondering how long it took it to really kick in for other folks.

Posted

I really have to admit that it took about 2 mo. to get over the side effects and give the med time to work on what I had set out for it to do. I had anxiety and depression that were resolved fairly well on Lexparo, but was interested in the pain relieving component that Cymbalta was initially advertised to do. I don't have diabetes, but do have neuropathy in both legs and feet and it's painful at times. I also have restless legs and fibromyalgia. Cymbalta helps with the pain of fibromyalgia. It helps tons!!! :hearts: It doesn't do much for the neuropathy. I had to go on another med for that, but together, they work well.

It also helps with the anxiety. It also helps with the depression. I wouldn't want to quit taking it. I know there's lots of issues for some, but at this point, I'm all for the med. Getting on it isn't a walk in the park. Getting off won't be a walk in the park, either. I suppose the easiest way to do this would be to titer off cymbalta and onto another ad, then titer off the other ad. (I get the zaps if I'm a couple hours late in taking it, but I had the same thing happen when I was on Lexapro). It's kind of a reminder that I forgot to take the pill and fades out in a couple of hours.

Jackie

Posted

Weirdly, after my second dosing, during my trial, I felt better ((tho i was prolly depressed for SOOOO LONG that my body welcomed any sorta of relief at all and thus I noticed it that much more))

Anway, I'm a month in a half in, and no longer get the nausia I got at first, I don't get jittery, and have insominia before I even started anyway and mood wise I feel very good.

I take 2 30s a day. 1 60 in the morning was too much ((heart raced and such o.O)) and 1 30 was not enough, tho during the day, I feel sometimes a bit low before taking my second dose. But that could be all in my head? I def get mellowed out right after taking one, my dr. has me on it for both anxiety and depression, tho moreso for the depression, I can't tell if its working on my anxiety just yet... tho I can't say I don't feel less stressed then beforehand.

Posted

I believe it took me two weeks before I was feeling better. It has been the best med I have been on to date.

Posted

I believe it took me two weeks before I was feeling better. It has been the best med I have been on to date.

That's very encouraging to hear. Happy it's working so good for you :hearts:

I started feeling a difference within a week.

Posted

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months.Feel a little better but still have day's when I'm sad and depressed.Of course though I just ended a relationship so that added to my already depression is making it difficult most day's. When I first started taking it I lost about 20 pounds but have now gained back all 20 so that doesn't help me either. :hearts:

Posted

Bobbiebrowneyes,

I also have fibro and found that the horrible flares stopped. I still have muscle pain, buy it's not unbearable. My Mother takes Lyrica for muscle pain, but I was put on a small dose of Neurontin and found that this too, helps lots. Some people with fibro don't like the way that Neurontin makes them feel, but it give me a little boost of energy and helps me live my chaotic life...... I have two teens and a 12 year old, and they are very active in sports or getting hurt and trying to recover for more sports. I work a job where I stand on my feet and have restless legs and neuropathy, not due to diabetes. This is what drew me to asking my doc to try me on this in the first place. The pain from the fibro was making me irritable, unsociable and depressed. I got panic disorder and major depression after spending many, many sleepless nights and working a very stressful job.

We also have a room called, 'Other Disorders Contributing to Depression' if you look down the first page of the forums. Please look and see if there's anything you can add for us fellow Fibromites!

Jackie

Posted

Hello everyone!

It's the first time i write on this forum; i'm hoping to get some feed-back from others forced to go on antidepressants as a last resort. I was on ADs for 3 years, 2 years ago because then i tried the alternative med route but didn't get much help. I didn't want to go back on ADs at first because the memory of all the horrible side effects was still vivid in my mind but my Dr told me that Cymabalta was well tollerated by his patients so I decided to try it (60mg).

Strangely enough i've been tollerating it very well considering all the side effects I've read about. The only problem i have is a little extra tiredness (waking up during the night and constipation are normal for me). I had a dry mouth and really upset stomache for 1 day only.

I've been taking it for 2 wks and haven't felt any improvement yet. The absence of irritating side effects makes me wonder if it'll even work.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please answer, someone.

Thanks!

Posted

Hi Air,

Everything I've read or seen says that it takes 4-6 weeks before you might feel the full potential of an antidepressant. You're fortunate to not be encumbered by many of the negative side effects. I'd hang in there and see how you feel in a couple of weeks before you give up on Cymbalta. Good Luck! Maddie

Hello everyone!

It's the first time i write on this forum; i'm hoping to get some feed-back from others forced to go on antidepressants as a last resort. I was on ADs for 3 years, 2 years ago because then i tried the alternative med route but didn't get much help. I didn't want to go back on ADs at first because the memory of all the horrible side effects was still vivid in my mind but my Dr told me that Cymabalta was well tollerated by his patients so I decided to try it (60mg).

Strangely enough i've been tollerating it very well considering all the side effects I've read about. The only problem i have is a little extra tiredness (waking up during the night and constipation are normal for me). I had a dry mouth and really upset stomache for 1 day only.

I've been taking it for 2 wks and haven't felt any improvement yet. The absence of irritating side effects makes me wonder if it'll even work.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please answer, someone.

Thanks!

Posted

Hello, I've been on cymbalta for 12 days. I am doing OK with it so far except my stomach is starting to get upset. I am just wondering if the spaciness goes away. I am on 60mgs (30mg 2x/day) and have been since Sunday. Also, the reason why I am taking it twice a day is because of the morning depression. Has anyone experienced that on Cymbalta when waking up? I thought that 30mg at night would cover me through the morning but I am still getting that yucky feeling until I get out of bed and take my morning dose. I dont get that feeling at night. I try really hard to take it exactly 12 hours apart so I am unsure of this morning deal. Look forward to hearing from someone!

Posted

I understand that upset stomach can be a common side effect. Are you eating something when you take it? I've heard people say that taking some of the common OTC stomach meds. like Pepto, and others can help relieve the stomach until you get past this.

As for spaciness, that was a definite side effect that I had, but I noticed that each day it lessened and finally was completely gone after about three weeks.

I tried taking Cymbalta twice a day, but found that it made me too restless at night to sleep, so I take my total dosage in the am. As for recurring depression in the am, you may want to talk to your doctor about that. I suppose it's possible that the it's wearing off by then. Maybe a larger does is in order, but of course you'd have to ask your doctor about that.

Good luck!

Hello, I've been on cymbalta for 12 days. I am doing OK with it so far except my stomach is starting to get upset. I am just wondering if the spaciness goes away. I am on 60mgs (30mg 2x/day) and have been since Sunday. Also, the reason why I am taking it twice a day is because of the morning depression. Has anyone experienced that on Cymbalta when waking up? I thought that 30mg at night would cover me through the morning but I am still getting that yucky feeling until I get out of bed and take my morning dose. I dont get that feeling at night. I try really hard to take it exactly 12 hours apart so I am unsure of this morning deal. Look forward to hearing from someone!

Posted

I understand that upset stomach can be a common side effect. Are you eating something when you take it? I've heard people say that taking some of the common OTC stomach meds. like Pepto, and others can help relieve the stomach until you get past this.

As for spaciness, that was a definite side effect that I had, but I noticed that each day it lessened and finally was completely gone after about three weeks.

I tried taking Cymbalta twice a day, but found that it made me too restless at night to sleep, so I take my total dosage in the am. As for recurring depression in the am, you may want to talk to your doctor about that. I suppose it's possible that the it's wearing off by then. Maybe a larger does is in order, but of course you'd have to ask your doctor about that.

Good luck!

Posted

Thank you for your reply, I started taking 60 mgs this morning and will continue with the 30 mgs at night. This morning I didn't have any problem. It could be leveling out in my body. I would rather take it all at once. Anyway I was reading about the half life of Cymbalta and it is pretty short, thats why we are feeling it wear off before our next dose. When I was on Prozac I never felt the ups and downs as I do on Cymbalta. Today I read that Prozac's half life is 2 days and Cymbalta's half life can be anywhere from 8-17 hours (something like that). From what I read I think that is also why it's harder to get off of. I am hoping my increase will help with the consistency of the effect. Also I am glad to hear that you are maintaining your weight. I hope it does the same for me. After a year of losing weight I would hate to get back to where I was. Thanks Again

Good luck!

Posted

Yes, Cymbalta does have a pretty short half life compared to Prozac. Glad to hear that you were better today. I'm sure you'll notice improvement each day.

Thank you for your reply, I started taking 60 mgs this morning and will continue with the 30 mgs at night. This morning I didn't have any problem. It could be leveling out in my body. I would rather take it all at once. Anyway I was reading about the half life of Cymbalta and it is pretty short, thats why we are feeling it wear off before our next dose. When I was on Prozac I never felt the ups and downs as I do on Cymbalta. Today I read that Prozac's half life is 2 days and Cymbalta's half life can be anywhere from 8-17 hours (something like that). From what I read I think that is also why it's harder to get off of. I am hoping my increase will help with the consistency of the effect. Also I am glad to hear that you are maintaining your weight. I hope it does the same for me. After a year of losing weight I would hate to get back to where I was. Thanks Again

Good luck!

Posted

Thanks for this discussion! I have been taking cymbalta 40 mg for about 8 weeks for major depression. Was on Celexa 40 mg before this med for 3 yrs with return of depressive symptoms over time and very lethargic and unmotivated and sleepy and fat.

When I take the 40 mg dose of cymbalta in the am, I too have the early morning dark pit of obsessive and never ending verbage of depression, hard to find the off button, really yucky. So I tried taking one pill early and the next one at noon....somewhat better. My P doc didn't think that this early morning thing should be happening and felt it was not impacted by timing of med....so she gave me abilify for " ruminating thought pattern". That's certainly what it is. Just taking 2.5 mg of the abilify in the am and am feeling quite active and talkative. Wake up in the night ALOT with some of the thinking thing still happening but maybe less intense. I still think that taking the cymbalta as I was is a help.....anyone else have this early morning ick on cymbalta?

Posted

Today is my 5th day on Cymbalta and my God, it works. MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

It's day three for me on cymbalta. I haven't noticed any positive effects yet, but I am willing to wait.

I'm tolerating it well except for the fact I'm a useless, spaced out zombie. No drive, no energy, no focus. I'm switching to taking it at night, hoping that helps, but I really need this side-effect to pass if I am to function at my job.

How long does the lack of drive and listlessness last?

I'm normally a very motivated, fairly driven person. My problems are usually centred around a anhedonia, irritibility and a continuous low level anxiety. Now I have all this, and I can't get anything done. Not good.

Posted

Im on day 20 of cymalta 60mg, having been on effexor 300mg for 5.5 years.

I havent really felt much of anything yet, but i think having been on effexor for so long its bound to take ages as my body may be stubborn to accept the new unfamiliar drug.

Effexor worked for me within days, so im a little miffed!

Posted

So much for the taking-cymbalta-in-the-evening experiment. I am more exhausted today than ever. I know SSRIs make you drowsy, but this is ridiculous. I think I'm going to have to stop.

Posted

It took a good month before I felt better on Cymbalta. I had just the opposite problem you are having-I had horrible insomnia, lightheadedness, no appetite, and just felt horrible sometimes. It does take our bodies awhile to balance anything new in the system. For me, it was worth the wait and temporary suffering. You may want to mention the fatigue to your Dr. Maybe he'd be willing to supplement the Cymbalta with something that will give you back some energy.

Posted

It took a good month before I felt better on Cymbalta. I had just the opposite problem you are having-I had horrible insomnia, lightheadedness, no appetite, and just felt horrible sometimes. It does take our bodies awhile to balance anything new in the system. For me, it was worth the wait and temporary suffering. You may want to mention the fatigue to your Dr. Maybe he'd be willing to supplement the Cymbalta with something that will give you back some energy.

Thanks for the response MaddieLouise.

I'm going to try to stick it out longer. I just reached a boiling point of frustration this evening when *bang* a happy, contented mood hit. It might be a coincidence, maybe not.

I think I'll try taking it at dinner time. Hopefully, by the morning I'll be reasonably alert.

I next see my Psy. on Sept 25th. I think I will ask him about going back on Wellbutrin for energy and drive. I was very happy on 100 mg WB SR (and Zoloft) for years. When my family doc referred me to a Psy., however, the Psy. insisted I switch to the XR formulation. It wasn't too bad, but I did notice a difference (even though I was told I couldn't) and it gradually gave me severe insomnia. That's why I was switched to Cymbalta. (Zoloft, too, had begun to cause problems. Over the years my moods became flatter and flatter. An improvement, but not ideal.)

I'll see how things stand at the end of my 2 weeks on 30mgs and reconsider before upping to 60.

Posted

I felt a little better right away. but it took about two weeks before the full effect took place. I started on 30 for one week, then 60 for several months. Now I am up to 90. I have been on so many combos of drugs. I started cymbalta while on lithium and lamictal. I dropped the lithium, felt no change then upped the cymbalta to 90.

My only problem is if I take it too late in the day I can't sleep. I take all 90 at one time in the morning and am trying the lamictal at night for awhile to see if that makes a difference in sleep.

The anxiety seems a little better but at times I still need either ativan or klonipin.

Anyone notice increased sweating with cymbalta or lamictal? I sweat profusely from my head and neck. My hair is always damp.

:hearts:

Posted (edited)

Day 7 on Cymbalta. Fatigue is still a problem, but "mental weirdness" is not anymore. It seems to be helping. I'm having fitful periods of "oh yeah, *this* is what happiness is" which is really cool. (I don't think I'd realized how gray and unhappy I'd become.) I wouldn't say I'm consistently better yet, but it has only been eight days. I'm really hopeful.

Edited by Maedhros