Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

How Long Before You Consistently Felt Better On Cymbalta

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Poll: How long before you consistently felt better on cymbalta (70 member(s) have cast votes)

How long before you consistently felt better on cymbalta

1. 1 week (9 votes [12.86%])

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

2. 2 weeks (7 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. 3 weeks (11 votes [15.71%])

Percentage of vote: 15.71%

4. 4 weeks (8 votes [11.43%])

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

5. Voted 5 weeks (4 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

6. 6+ weeks (13 votes [18.57%])

Percentage of vote: 18.57%

7. Never (18 votes [25.71%])

Percentage of vote: 25.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:20 PM

I'm on day 8 eight of cymbalta. Just wondering how long it took it to really kick in for other folks.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#2 Looking Up

Looking Up

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,292 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

I'm only on week 3... I felt great for the first week, then had a change in mood my second week, thought the pills weren't working and my depression was coming back worse than before. But it must of been just my body adjusting to the meds cuz now on week 3 I feel great again.

#3 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 06:24 PM

It took me about three weeks to start consistently feeling better.

I'm on day 8 eight of cymbalta. Just wondering how long it took it to really kick in for other folks.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 01:35 AM

I really have to admit that it took about 2 mo. to get over the side effects and give the med time to work on what I had set out for it to do. I had anxiety and depression that were resolved fairly well on Lexparo, but was interested in the pain relieving component that Cymbalta was initially advertised to do. I don't have diabetes, but do have neuropathy in both legs and feet and it's painful at times. I also have restless legs and fibromyalgia. Cymbalta helps with the pain of fibromyalgia. It helps tons!!! :hearts: It doesn't do much for the neuropathy. I had to go on another med for that, but together, they work well.

It also helps with the anxiety. It also helps with the depression. I wouldn't want to quit taking it. I know there's lots of issues for some, but at this point, I'm all for the med. Getting on it isn't a walk in the park. Getting off won't be a walk in the park, either. I suppose the easiest way to do this would be to titer off cymbalta and onto another ad, then titer off the other ad. (I get the zaps if I'm a couple hours late in taking it, but I had the same thing happen when I was on Lexapro). It's kind of a reminder that I forgot to take the pill and fades out in a couple of hours.

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 Cookiemonster86

Cookiemonster86

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 02:03 AM

Weirdly, after my second dosing, during my trial, I felt better ((tho i was prolly depressed for SOOOO LONG that my body welcomed any sorta of relief at all and thus I noticed it that much more))

Anway, I'm a month in a half in, and no longer get the nausia I got at first, I don't get jittery, and have insominia before I even started anyway and mood wise I feel very good.

I take 2 30s a day. 1 60 in the morning was too much ((heart raced and such o.O)) and 1 30 was not enough, tho during the day, I feel sometimes a bit low before taking my second dose. But that could be all in my head? I def get mellowed out right after taking one, my dr. has me on it for both anxiety and depression, tho moreso for the depression, I can't tell if its working on my anxiety just yet... tho I can't say I don't feel less stressed then beforehand.
-Mattypants
Depression Sufferer/Cookiemonster/Pokemon Addict

#6 bobbibrowneyes

bobbibrowneyes

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:08 PM

I believe it took me two weeks before I was feeling better. It has been the best med I have been on to date.

#7 Tbone

Tbone

• PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:13 PM

I believe it took me two weeks before I was feeling better. It has been the best med I have been on to date.

That's very encouraging to hear. Happy it's working so good for you :hearts:

I started feeling a difference within a week.

#8 ocean moonlite

ocean moonlite

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:05 AM

I've been on Cymbalta for 2 1/2 months.Feel a little better but still have day's when I'm sad and depressed.Of course though I just ended a relationship so that added to my already depression is making it difficult most day's. When I first started taking it I lost about 20 pounds but have now gained back all 20 so that doesn't help me either. :hearts:

#9 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Bobbiebrowneyes,

I also have fibro and found that the horrible flares stopped. I still have muscle pain, buy it's not unbearable. My Mother takes Lyrica for muscle pain, but I was put on a small dose of Neurontin and found that this too, helps lots. Some people with fibro don't like the way that Neurontin makes them feel, but it give me a little boost of energy and helps me live my chaotic life...... I have two teens and a 12 year old, and they are very active in sports or getting hurt and trying to recover for more sports. I work a job where I stand on my feet and have restless legs and neuropathy, not due to diabetes. This is what drew me to asking my doc to try me on this in the first place. The pain from the fibro was making me irritable, unsociable and depressed. I got panic disorder and major depression after spending many, many sleepless nights and working a very stressful job.

We also have a room called, 'Other Disorders Contributing to Depression' if you look down the first page of the forums. Please look and see if there's anything you can add for us fellow Fibromites!

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#10 air

air

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

Hello everyone!

It's the first time i write on this forum; i'm hoping to get some feed-back from others forced to go on antidepressants as a last resort. I was on ADs for 3 years, 2 years ago because then i tried the alternative med route but didn't get much help. I didn't want to go back on ADs at first because the memory of all the horrible side effects was still vivid in my mind but my Dr told me that Cymabalta was well tollerated by his patients so I decided to try it (60mg).

Strangely enough i've been tollerating it very well considering all the side effects I've read about. The only problem i have is a little extra tiredness (waking up during the night and constipation are normal for me). I had a dry mouth and really upset stomache for 1 day only.
I've been taking it for 2 wks and haven't felt any improvement yet. The absence of irritating side effects makes me wonder if it'll even work.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please answer, someone.

Thanks!

#11 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hi Air,

Everything I've read or seen says that it takes 4-6 weeks before you might feel the full potential of an antidepressant. You're fortunate to not be encumbered by many of the negative side effects. I'd hang in there and see how you feel in a couple of weeks before you give up on Cymbalta. Good Luck! Maddie

Hello everyone!

It's the first time i write on this forum; i'm hoping to get some feed-back from others forced to go on antidepressants as a last resort. I was on ADs for 3 years, 2 years ago because then i tried the alternative med route but didn't get much help. I didn't want to go back on ADs at first because the memory of all the horrible side effects was still vivid in my mind but my Dr told me that Cymabalta was well tollerated by his patients so I decided to try it (60mg).

Strangely enough i've been tollerating it very well considering all the side effects I've read about. The only problem i have is a little extra tiredness (waking up during the night and constipation are normal for me). I had a dry mouth and really upset stomache for 1 day only.
I've been taking it for 2 wks and haven't felt any improvement yet. The absence of irritating side effects makes me wonder if it'll even work.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Please answer, someone.

Thanks!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 milestone

milestone

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 05:16 PM

Hello, I've been on cymbalta for 12 days. I am doing OK with it so far except my stomach is starting to get upset. I am just wondering if the spaciness goes away. I am on 60mgs (30mg 2x/day) and have been since Sunday. Also, the reason why I am taking it twice a day is because of the morning depression. Has anyone experienced that on Cymbalta when waking up? I thought that 30mg at night would cover me through the morning but I am still getting that yucky feeling until I get out of bed and take my morning dose. I dont get that feeling at night. I try really hard to take it exactly 12 hours apart so I am unsure of this morning deal. Look forward to hearing from someone!

#13 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 10:33 AM

I understand that upset stomach can be a common side effect. Are you eating something when you take it? I've heard people say that taking some of the common OTC stomach meds. like Pepto, and others can help relieve the stomach until you get past this.

As for spaciness, that was a definite side effect that I had, but I noticed that each day it lessened and finally was completely gone after about three weeks.

I tried taking Cymbalta twice a day, but found that it made me too restless at night to sleep, so I take my total dosage in the am. As for recurring depression in the am, you may want to talk to your doctor about that. I suppose it's possible that the it's wearing off by then. Maybe a larger does is in order, but of course you'd have to ask your doctor about that.

Good luck!

Hello, I've been on cymbalta for 12 days. I am doing OK with it so far except my stomach is starting to get upset. I am just wondering if the spaciness goes away. I am on 60mgs (30mg 2x/day) and have been since Sunday. Also, the reason why I am taking it twice a day is because of the morning depression. Has anyone experienced that on Cymbalta when waking up? I thought that 30mg at night would cover me through the morning but I am still getting that yucky feeling until I get out of bed and take my morning dose. I dont get that feeling at night. I try really hard to take it exactly 12 hours apart so I am unsure of this morning deal. Look forward to hearing from someone!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 milestone

milestone

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 02:47 PM

I understand that upset stomach can be a common side effect. Are you eating something when you take it? I've heard people say that taking some of the common OTC stomach meds. like Pepto, and others can help relieve the stomach until you get past this.

As for spaciness, that was a definite side effect that I had, but I noticed that each day it lessened and finally was completely gone after about three weeks.

I tried taking Cymbalta twice a day, but found that it made me too restless at night to sleep, so I take my total dosage in the am. As for recurring depression in the am, you may want to talk to your doctor about that. I suppose it's possible that the it's wearing off by then. Maybe a larger does is in order, but of course you'd have to ask your doctor about that.

Good luck!

#15 milestone

milestone

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 03:03 PM

Thank you for your reply, I started taking 60 mgs this morning and will continue with the 30 mgs at night. This morning I didn't have any problem. It could be leveling out in my body. I would rather take it all at once. Anyway I was reading about the half life of Cymbalta and it is pretty short, thats why we are feeling it wear off before our next dose. When I was on Prozac I never felt the ups and downs as I do on Cymbalta. Today I read that Prozac's half life is 2 days and Cymbalta's half life can be anywhere from 8-17 hours (something like that). From what I read I think that is also why it's harder to get off of. I am hoping my increase will help with the consistency of the effect. Also I am glad to hear that you are maintaining your weight. I hope it does the same for me. After a year of losing weight I would hate to get back to where I was. Thanks Again

Good luck!

#16 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:09 PM

Yes, Cymbalta does have a pretty short half life compared to Prozac. Glad to hear that you were better today. I'm sure you'll notice improvement each day.

Thank you for your reply, I started taking 60 mgs this morning and will continue with the 30 mgs at night. This morning I didn't have any problem. It could be leveling out in my body. I would rather take it all at once. Anyway I was reading about the half life of Cymbalta and it is pretty short, thats why we are feeling it wear off before our next dose. When I was on Prozac I never felt the ups and downs as I do on Cymbalta. Today I read that Prozac's half life is 2 days and Cymbalta's half life can be anywhere from 8-17 hours (something like that). From what I read I think that is also why it's harder to get off of. I am hoping my increase will help with the consistency of the effect. Also I am glad to hear that you are maintaining your weight. I hope it does the same for me. After a year of losing weight I would hate to get back to where I was. Thanks Again

Good luck!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 ghsnead

ghsnead

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for this discussion! I have been taking cymbalta 40 mg for about 8 weeks for major depression. Was on Celexa 40 mg before this med for 3 yrs with return of depressive symptoms over time and very lethargic and unmotivated and sleepy and fat.
When I take the 40 mg dose of cymbalta in the am, I too have the early morning dark pit of obsessive and never ending verbage of depression, hard to find the off button, really yucky. So I tried taking one pill early and the next one at noon....somewhat better. My P doc didn't think that this early morning thing should be happening and felt it was not impacted by timing of med....so she gave me abilify for " ruminating thought pattern". That's certainly what it is. Just taking 2.5 mg of the abilify in the am and am feeling quite active and talkative. Wake up in the night ALOT with some of the thinking thing still happening but maybe less intense. I still think that taking the cymbalta as I was is a help.....anyone else have this early morning ick on cymbalta?

#18 Lost33

Lost33

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 04:37 AM

Today is my 5th day on Cymbalta and my God, it works. MIRACLE!!!!!!!!!!

#19 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:44 AM

It's day three for me on cymbalta. I haven't noticed any positive effects yet, but I am willing to wait.

I'm tolerating it well except for the fact I'm a useless, spaced out zombie. No drive, no energy, no focus. I'm switching to taking it at night, hoping that helps, but I really need this side-effect to pass if I am to function at my job.

How long does the lack of drive and listlessness last?

I'm normally a very motivated, fairly driven person. My problems are usually centred around a anhedonia, irritibility and a continuous low level anxiety. Now I have all this, and I can't get anything done. Not good.
We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#20 worldslastgunslinger

worldslastgunslinger

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:35 AM

Im on day 20 of cymalta 60mg, having been on effexor 300mg for 5.5 years.

I havent really felt much of anything yet, but i think having been on effexor for so long its bound to take ages as my body may be stubborn to accept the new unfamiliar drug.

Effexor worked for me within days, so im a little miffed!

#21 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

So much for the taking-cymbalta-in-the-evening experiment. I am more exhausted today than ever. I know SSRIs make you drowsy, but this is ridiculous. I think I'm going to have to stop.

#22 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

It took a good month before I felt better on Cymbalta. I had just the opposite problem you are having-I had horrible insomnia, lightheadedness, no appetite, and just felt horrible sometimes. It does take our bodies awhile to balance anything new in the system. For me, it was worth the wait and temporary suffering. You may want to mention the fatigue to your Dr. Maybe he'd be willing to supplement the Cymbalta with something that will give you back some energy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 09:49 PM

It took a good month before I felt better on Cymbalta. I had just the opposite problem you are having-I had horrible insomnia, lightheadedness, no appetite, and just felt horrible sometimes. It does take our bodies awhile to balance anything new in the system. For me, it was worth the wait and temporary suffering. You may want to mention the fatigue to your Dr. Maybe he'd be willing to supplement the Cymbalta with something that will give you back some energy.

Thanks for the response MaddieLouise.

I'm going to try to stick it out longer. I just reached a boiling point of frustration this evening when *bang* a happy, contented mood hit. It might be a coincidence, maybe not.

I think I'll try taking it at dinner time. Hopefully, by the morning I'll be reasonably alert.

I next see my Psy. on Sept 25th. I think I will ask him about going back on Wellbutrin for energy and drive. I was very happy on 100 mg WB SR (and Zoloft) for years. When my family doc referred me to a Psy., however, the Psy. insisted I switch to the XR formulation. It wasn't too bad, but I did notice a difference (even though I was told I couldn't) and it gradually gave me severe insomnia. That's why I was switched to Cymbalta. (Zoloft, too, had begun to cause problems. Over the years my moods became flatter and flatter. An improvement, but not ideal.)

I'll see how things stand at the end of my 2 weeks on 30mgs and reconsider before upping to 60.

#24 damonlabrador

damonlabrador

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 05:25 PM

I felt a little better right away. but it took about two weeks before the full effect took place. I started on 30 for one week, then 60 for several months. Now I am up to 90. I have been on so many combos of drugs. I started cymbalta while on lithium and lamictal. I dropped the lithium, felt no change then upped the cymbalta to 90.

My only problem is if I take it too late in the day I can't sleep. I take all 90 at one time in the morning and am trying the lamictal at night for awhile to see if that makes a difference in sleep.

The anxiety seems a little better but at times I still need either ativan or klonipin.

Anyone notice increased sweating with cymbalta or lamictal? I sweat profusely from my head and neck. My hair is always damp.

:hearts:
"The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it." Anonymous
In loving memory of Damon Erik... 1978-1998

#25 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

Day 7 on Cymbalta. Fatigue is still a problem, but "mental weirdness" is not anymore. It seems to be helping. I'm having fitful periods of "oh yeah, *this* is what happiness is" which is really cool. (I don't think I'd realized how gray and unhappy I'd become.) I wouldn't say I'm consistently better yet, but it has only been eight days. I'm really hopeful.

Edited by Maedhros, 04 September 2008 - 04:43 PM.

#26 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:34 PM

Day 7 on Cymbalta. Fatigue is still a problem, but "mental weirdness" is not anymore. It seems to be helping. I'm having fitful periods of "oh yeah, *this* is what happiness is" which is really cool. (I don't think I'd realized how gray and unhappy I'd become.) I wouldn't say I'm consistently better yet, but it has only been eight days. I'm really hopeful.

Sounds like you're making progress! That's terrific. Hope it keeps up. Let us know!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

Day 10. Wow! I think Cymbalta is really going to help me. The fatigue is becoming manageable (I've gone back to taking it in the day because it started to interfere with my sleep) and the periods of happiness are becoming more frequent, more stable. For the first time in my life I feel focussed and energetic, without being stressed and anxious (for me, those two things always walked hand in hand). It's still early, but I'm becoming ever more hopeful. I hope the SE don't mount or it poops out or something.

Weird med though. I sometimes sedates me, sometimes stimulates me. Makes me calmer, less anxious, but more energetic. Sometimes hot flashes, sometimes chills.

#28 LadyCampbell

LadyCampbell

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Weird med though. I sometimes sedates me, sometimes stimulates me. Makes me calmer, less anxious, but more energetic. Sometimes hot flashes, sometimes chills.

Yes me too, I was in the car with a friend and she really made me late for a very important occasion, and usualy I would let her know i was not happy, but this time i was like"well, never mind at least we'll get there eventually" I was so laid back And she was shocked.Ha! the chills are a bit irritating though. When I started i would take my tablet at night but since i swapped it around and take it in the morning it seems to suit me better.

#29 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

Yes me too, I was in the car with a friend and she really made me late for a very important occasion, and usualy I would let her know i was not happy, but this time i was like"well, never mind at least we'll get there eventually" I was so laid back And she was shocked.Ha! the chills are a bit irritating though. When I started i would take my tablet at night but since i swapped it around and take it in the morning it seems to suit me better.

What about appetite, LC? I can't seem to decide whether it's simulating/suppressing/or no effect/or varies. At first it seemed to stimulate it, now it seems to suppress it somewhat.

#30 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:30 AM

Day 10 was a mixed bag. I felt great in the morning. In the afternoon I was zoned out, unmotivated and listless. Not quite back to staring at the walls, but close.

#31 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 02:59 PM

Well, it's just over three weeks for me: 23 days, give or take one, to be exact. About 3 days ago I noticed the meds seemed to really hit their stride. The side-effects -- drowsiness and forgetfulness lessened -- and my depression/anhedonia lifted. :hearts:

For me it seemed that the anti-depressant effect of Cymbalta, as opposed to the anti-anxiety, anti-irritability effects, has been the last thing to kick in. I'm cautiously optimistic.

#32 KateBushRockz

KateBushRockz

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:34 PM

I've been on 60 mg since the summer of 2007. Haven't noticed any improvement whatsoever. Like all the meds I've taken. My psychiatrist won't listen every time I tell him this, so I'm stuck on Cymbalta.

#33 greatbigsea264

greatbigsea264

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

First few months on 30mg of cymbalta was great. I felt like all my problems were over. alas, it was not to be. I eventually went back to my old ways of deep depression periods and social isolation. Same thing happened when I upped the dosage to 60 mg, except it was only better for a month or so. Plus then some wierd side effects started kicking in.

#34 Yosemite

Yosemite

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

Cymbalta worked brilliantly for me for the first week, then did exactly the opposite of what it was designed to do. It made my depression much worse and I had increased thoughts of suicide. It was definitely not the right med for me.

I am really struggling to find something that works and something that does not tip the balance the "other" way.

#35 Cammeel1

Cammeel1

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:09 PM

I've only been on Cymbalta for 3 weeks. Another med, Abilify, was added at the same time, although I asked my pdoc not to try two at once. So it's hard to tell. I feel sleepy all the time yet jittery at the same time. No nausea, but I do have constipation. Not sure if this is the Abilofy though.
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” -Maya Angelou

#36 zoa9

zoa9

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Brian: I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg, for about 2 1/2 months. For me at least, it usually takes me the full 8 weeks for ANY AD to kick in. I have been taken most of the other AD, & Cymbalta has been shown to work the best. I take 60mg total in the am, & seem to have no problems with any "early morning ick", or insomnia. My psych MD actually thought I should be taking up to 120mg, but the 60mg seems to work for me. I never have gotten more energy from any AD, but at least with Cymbalta, it doesn't take away energy, my energy stays the same. I am also on Ritalin: My psych MD has perscribed it for "treatment resistant depression". I get the mental benefits with all AD, but I have never gotten more energy from any AD. So, I take anywhere from 20mg to 30mg/day of Ritalin to give me some energy, as well as help the Cymbalta with my depression. I started with 30mg Cymbalta & gradually worked up to 60mg. If I ever stop the Cymbalta, I will slowly decrease the dose as well, as I believe there are side effects with ANY AD if you just stop taking it.

As far as side effects, I break out in a sweat sometimes, & have a dry mouth sometimes. I take prilosec every day for acid reflux, so don't notice any stomach problems. I lost like 10 pounds when I first started Cymbalta, but have gained back a few pounds. Cymbalta is one of the few AD where I don't gain a ton of weight & actually might from time to time, lose weight.

I think anyone would need to try an AD for at least 8 weeks, before deciding if it will work. That is, if you can stand the side effects. Side effects do tend to go away in time; its just a matter of putting up with them. If you stop too soon with a new AD, feeling its not working for you, then you really don't know if it might be perfect for you; especially if you are prone to clinical depression & have been on several different AD. Believe me, I know about everything there is to know about AD. I'v drank alcohol when taking AD, & its just plain stupid to do that. You are taking in a depressant(alcohol) & your AD probably won't work as well, plus, there are risks in drinking alcohol/taking other mind altering drugs, when taking an AD.

Hope this helps anyone out there. zoa9

Edited by iowa, 03 October 2009 - 03:45 PM.

#37 funkspiel

funkspiel

• Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

Brian: I have been on Cymbalta, 60mg, for about 2 1/2 months. For me at least, it usually takes me the full 8 weeks for ANY AD to kick in. I have been taken most of the other AD, & Cymbalta has been shown to work the best. I take 60mg total in the am, & seem to have no problems with any "early morning ick", or insomnia. My psych MD actually thought I should be taking up to 120mg, but the 60mg seems to work for me. I never have gotten more energy from any AD, but at least with Cymbalta, it doesn't take away energy, my energy stays the same. I am also on Ritalin: My psych MD has perscribed it for "treatment resistant depression". I get the mental benefits with all AD, but I have never gotten more energy from any AD. So, I take anywhere from 20mg to 30mg/day of Ritalin to give me some energy, as well as help the Cymbalta with my depression.

I showed my pdoc what I learned about what's in the labs and on the way. The triple reuptake inhibitors (DOV 216,303) should arrive in 2011, they add dopamine to the list. She told me we could do that today by adding generic adderall, which is inexpensive.

So I'm a couple weeks into this, it solved my multiple sleep cycle problem as you sleep when the adderall is not in effect. I can more easily tell what day it is. Overall, it seems worthwhile. I need to remember to take the second dose of adderall on time or get into a rollercoaster situation.

Good luck.

#38 Noelieboats

Noelieboats

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

I'm on day 13 on Cymbalta and I'm feeling nothing though lexapro and all SSRI's drove me nut sso nothing isn't too bad. My anxiety is extreme and chronic so here's hoping!!

#39 Guest_iowa_*

Guest_iowa_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:55 PM

I'm really glad to hear that things are getting a little better for you. One day at a time, that's all we can do. :shocked:
iowa
  • charlie84 likes this

#40 Linder_Mac

Linder_Mac

• Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:05 AM

Day 6 of Cymbalta and feeling less stressed and less down that usual. Still have my moments, but am hopeful that this might actually do the trick. My P-doc has me reducing the amount of Lovan (prozac) that I was on (80mg and did nothing for me) so down to 30mg of that daily as well as 30mg Cymbalta. Tomorrow I go up to 60mg Cymbalta so will reduce the lovan to 20mg. Am on Zyprexa and Ativan too, my bedside drawer is starting to look like a pharmacy!

But I am determined to do whatever it takes to beat the depression. Taking one day at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users