Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Can You Complete A Task? Get Through The Day?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TukuMusic

TukuMusic

ID: 17523

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

So I was reading this summer about self-efficacy... basically, the feeling that you have the power to do something. I have realized that I have very low self-efficacy. I always think that if there is a task, that I won't be able to complete it. Even just for school, reading a chapter of a book. I feel that I can't do it, or I can't make myself do it because I am inherently weak. I feel like I know I will give up... which then become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Inevitably, I do give up, and then feel like s***.
Maybe I hold myself to high standards, standards that are too high. But then again, they don't seem so high or so unreasonable. Why do I keep failing? Because I feel that I know I will fail...
Something like that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else feels that they can't do it. That they can't get through a task, the day, whatever.

#2 tigerlily

tigerlily

ID: 16265

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:02 PM

So I was reading this summer about self-efficacy... basically, the feeling that you have the power to do something. I have realized that I have very low self-efficacy. I always think that if there is a task, that I won't be able to complete it. Even just for school, reading a chapter of a book. I feel that I can't do it, or I can't make myself do it because I am inherently weak. I feel like I know I will give up... which then become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Inevitably, I do give up, and then feel like s***.
Maybe I hold myself to high standards, standards that are too high. But then again, they don't seem so high or so unreasonable. Why do I keep failing? Because I feel that I know I will fail...
Something like that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else feels that they can't do it. That they can't get through a task, the day, whatever.

All the time. I don't know that I fear failure so much as I just procrastinate, though. It feels so good to get things done, but sometimes I just can't do it. It's been happening a lot more lately. I guess I haven't given much thought to why I procrastinate - maybe I should.

There's a lot to the whole "self-fulfilling prophecy" thing. I notice that in myself as it relates to all kinds of things.

#3 Countryman

Countryman

Advanced Member

ID: 1571

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:13 PM

hello tukumusic i have the same problem as you.the only thing that has help me try to finish what i start is my medication.cannot explain why we get into that little rut..anyway in my opinion the anti-depressants keep me more focused.hope this helps-wht-

#4 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

ID: 9557

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:21 PM

Tuku:

I have similar problems. Whenever I have a task that must be complete I become overwhelmed and can't seem to even make a dent. I've learned to break the task down into smaller, easier-to-complete portions. I focus only on the portion I'm currently working on, ignoring the incomplete part of the task. I find that this works well for me, and I am now able to finish projects.

Also, you may want to try offering yourself a small reward. Something like, "If I read chapters 3 and 4, I can than take a break and..." Pick something that you really enjoy doing. Don't cheat! No accomplishment, no reward.

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#5 downNotOut

downNotOut

ID: 18459

• PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 07:44 AM

I think that's a pretty common problem, and depression just makes it so much worse. Then, as you say, you can get into a cycle in which your sense of failure feeds on itself and you feel more and more hopeless and overwhelmed.

I agree with Beanchop99 about breaking a task down into small subtasks so it doesn't seem so overwhelming. When you finish a subtask, take a moment to feel proud of yourself for doing that. Success can feed on itself too. Feeling that I've successfully completed something -- even a small subtask -- gives me confidence that I will be able to complete the next subtask. That can also become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just remember to start small.

#6 Grumpy_Bear

Grumpy_Bear

ID: 13305

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:17 AM

In the past before i had severe burnout, i was used to doing huge tasks quickly and efficiently due to my background, but now i struggle the same, but getting abit better, i think part of us gets stuck in the thinking of why we are depressed etc, that we obsess and dont get anything else done.

The advise of beach is good, that kind of mentality helped me get 10,000 words done in under 2 weeks a few days ago.

#7 littlestar

littlestar

Gold Member

ID: 13351

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,153 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 10:54 AM

This is 'so' me. Also, my depression and overloaded loneliness really drain all my motivation and energy away from doing anything. (Even deep inside my heart, I really want to do something)
God, help me.

#8 Elhaym

Elhaym

ID: 18134

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:17 AM

Hi TukuMusic,
Yeah, depression tends to make me feel immobilized and weak, especially when I think of all the tasks I have ahead of me. When I finally get started on my work, I can't stay focused and I get absolutely exhausted. Lately, I've been breaking up my tasks (as others have suggested) and I agree it does help somewhat. The key is to get started though. Keep reminding yourself of how good you'll feel when you're finished your work. The reward system works well too, but don't do what I do: I study for 15 minutes then sleep for 1 hour. :tongue:

- Elly
- Elly

(\__/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")

#9 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

Feeling like you are a failure is depression telling you that. YOU ARE NOT A FAILURE. You will need to work on yourself to overcome that feeling. Start out with small goals that you can finish successfully, even if it takes all day or several days. Give yourself a pat on the back when the goal is completed. Only do one thing at a time, otherwise, you will become overwhelmed and give up. You need to eliminate the word "can't" from your vocabulary and replace it with "I can." Positive thinking helps to move you forward.

I've been completely unmotivated all summer and have struggled daily to get something done. My house is a total wreck inside and the weeds outside make my place look like Tobaco Road. I am having difficulty even taking care of myself. The only daily accomplisments are taking care of all the animals on my farm. They need me. I still don't consider myself a failure because I do have a daily task that is accomplished and I reward myself for completing that task.

You can do whatever you want to and not be a failure. Don't give up on yourself.

Are you seeing a therapist or psychiatrist? Getting professional help can put you on the road to recovery.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#10 svendorrian

svendorrian

ID: 17910

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:27 PM

It depends if I am burned out or not.

My diagnonsis: Major Depression, PTSD, social anxiety disorder. Issues are chronic-permanent. On Antidepressants and Antipsychotics indefintiely. Mental Stability is an issue and it is monitored. Source: military combat tours. Therapy and Treatment is ongoing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users