Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Different people, different antidepressants

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lindsay

Lindsay

Forum Super Administrator

ID: 2

• Super Administrators
  • 15,154 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 12:19 PM

Tuesday, March 29, 2005
By Melania Zaharopoulos

The prescription drug market is awash in medications marketed for the treatment of depression with what could be as many as 30 common prescriptions on the market today, said Dr. Shan Crockett, a Santa Cruz psychiatrist who assists with a Hollister-based geriatric mental health program two days per week.

And while a wide variety of options are available, selecting the right prescription for each patient is a balancing act that takes into account symptoms, state of mind and family history before signing off a prescription.

œSome depressions are really agitated and some are really slow,? said Crockett. œWe would think about that, about whether there was a sleep problem involved or whether there were other things going on.

œWhen folks are very depressed, they still want to have sex. They come in and say, ˜Is this going to affect my drive?™ The other thing is ease of administration. Is it once a day? Three times a day? Do you go up in dosage once or is it a long process??

Health professionals attempt to use the answers to all of these questions in selecting a prescription for any potential patient, but family history can be the strongest predictor of what will work best.

First degree family members, such as parents or siblings, are likely to have a good experience with the same types of drugs that will be right for the patient, said Crockett, but efficacy is not guaranteed.

œIf I gave the same drug to 10 people, eight would be able to tolerate it, and of the two who had side effects, one would decide to stay with it for the benefits,? said Crockett. œOf those 10, six would actually be helped.?

Most of the time, Crockett gets his most effective results by using side effects to a patient™s advantage. For instance, he™ll use a sleep-inducing anti-depressant administered at bed time for patients with insomnia, and the bevy of choices he™s offered today give him a lot more options in prescribing such drugs.

Prior to 1988, two classes of antidepressant drugs existed - tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors, commonly known as MAOIs - but both had significant drawbacks.

When taken according to prescription, tricyclics were both safe and effective, but in overdose, they often triggered cardiac arrhythmia, which made any overdose more likely to be fatal. Drugs under this classification included desipramine, imipramine, amitriptyline and doxepin.

On the other hand, MAOI™s like phenelzine, tranylcypromine and isocarboxazid didn™t offer users much fun. They included strict dietary guidelines that clamped down on the ingestion of fermented foods like wines, cheeses and other yummy items.

œThe big revolution started in 1988, when Prozac came out,? said Crockett. œProzac, whose generic is fluoxetine, was the first in a class called SSRI™s: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Basically, all of these antidepressants affect the neurotransmitters, which are chemicals in the brain. There are maybe 30 or 40 of them, but with modern classes of drugs, we are affecting maybe two or three: serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine, all of which are connected to mood.?

Common prescriptions today almost unfailingly fall into this category. From the social anxiety medication Paxil to antidepressants like Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft and Luvox, they help the body effectively make use of limited supplies of serotonin, a chemical associated with mood.

For ease of use, this set of prescriptions also takes the cake. However, users must wait at least six weeks to determine if the medication is working, and SSRI™s can have disturbing side effects such as depressed libido in men and women, as well as poor ejaculation control and impotence in men, according to manufacturers.

œThe SSRI™s basically work on the serotonin alone, and we have other drugs that work on other brain chemicals,? said Crockett, who noted that an even newer class of drugs called SNRI™s for selective serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, are gaining on the market as well. This set includes Effexor and Cymbalta, and works on the same brain chemicals as older tricyclic medications without the same risks, said Crockett.

Other drugs, such as the popular antidepressant Wellbutrin, are in a class of their own, as they don™t readily correspond to anything else on the market.

œWe think Wellbutrin effects norepinephrine and dopamine,? said Crockett. œRemeron is also its own class.?

Wellbutrin is best suited for melancholic, low-energy depressions that lead to somewhat vegetative behavior, while Remeron is better indicated for someone with an agitated depression and insomnia, said Crockett.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melania Zaharopoulos is a writer for the Lifestyles section. She can be reached at melaniaz@svnewspapers.com

Be Well....

~Lindsay ღ , Forum Super Administrator
Founder, depressionforums.org

Forum Super Administrator
DF member since June 2001 goldenvelope1jr.gif  

----
"I cannot make my mark for all time...those concepts are mutually exclusive.
"Lasting effect" is a self -contradictory term.  Meaning does not exist in the future, nor do I.  
Nothing will have meaning, "ultimately."
Nothing will even mean tomorrow what it did today.  Meaning changes with the context.

My meaningfulness is in the here and now. It is enough that I may be of value to someone today.
It is enough that I make a difference now."  ~Lindsay    

Hotlines

kumanomi.gif

#2 Cobber

Cobber

Just Registered

ID: 48933

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

Tuesday, March 29, 2005
By Melania Zaharopoulos

The prescription drug market is awash in medications marketed for the treatment of depression with what could be as many as 30 common prescriptions on the market today, said Dr. Shan Crockett, a Santa Cruz psychiatrist who assists with a Hollister-based geriatric mental health program two days per week.

And while a wide variety of options are available, selecting the right prescription for each patient is a balancing act that takes into account symptoms, state of mind and family history before signing off a prescription.

œSome depressions are really agitated and some are really slow,? said Crockett. œWe would think about that, about whether there was a sleep problem involved or whether there were other things going on.

œWhen folks are very depressed, they still want to have sex. They come in and say, ˜Is this going to affect my drive?™ The other thing is ease of administration. Is it once a day? Three times a day? Do you go up in dosage once or is it a long process??

Health professionals attempt to use the answers to all of these questions in selecting a prescription for any potential patient, but family history can be the strongest predictor of what will work best.

First degree family members, such as parents or siblings, are likely to have a good experience with the same types of drugs that will be right for the patient, said Crockett, but efficacy is not guaranteed.

œIf I gave the same drug to 10 people, eight would be able to tolerate it, and of the two who had side effects, one would decide to stay with it for the benefits,? said Crockett. œOf those 10, six would actually be helped.?

Most of the time, Crockett gets his most effective results by using side effects to a patient™s advantage. For instance, he™ll use a sleep-inducing anti-depressant administered at bed time for patients with insomnia, and the bevy of choices he™s offered today give him a lot more options in prescribing such drugs.

Prior to 1988, two classes of antidepressant drugs existed - tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors, commonly known as MAOIs - but both had significant drawbacks.

When taken according to prescription, tricyclics were both safe and effective, but in overdose, they often triggered cardiac arrhythmia, which made any overdose more likely to be fatal. Drugs under this classification included desipramine, imipramine, amitriptyline and doxepin.

On the other hand, MAOI™s like phenelzine, tranylcypromine and isocarboxazid didn™t offer users much fun. They included strict dietary guidelines that clamped down on the ingestion of fermented foods like wines, cheeses and other yummy items.

œThe big revolution started in 1988, when Prozac came out,? said Crockett. œProzac, whose generic is fluoxetine, was the first in a class called SSRI™s: Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Basically, all of these antidepressants affect the neurotransmitters, which are chemicals in the brain. There are maybe 30 or 40 of them, but with modern classes of drugs, we are affecting maybe two or three: serotonin, norepinephrine and dopamine, all of which are connected to mood.?

Common prescriptions today almost unfailingly fall into this category. From the social anxiety medication Paxil to antidepressants like Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft and Luvox, they help the body effectively make use of limited supplies of serotonin, a chemical associated with mood.

For ease of use, this set of prescriptions also takes the cake. However, users must wait at least six weeks to determine if the medication is working, and SSRI™s can have disturbing side effects such as depressed libido in men and women, as well as poor ejaculation control and impotence in men, according to manufacturers.

œThe SSRI™s basically work on the serotonin alone, and we have other drugs that work on other brain chemicals,? said Crockett, who noted that an even newer class of drugs called SNRI™s for selective serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, are gaining on the market as well. This set includes Effexor and Cymbalta, and works on the same brain chemicals as older tricyclic medications without the same risks, said Crockett.

Other drugs, such as the popular antidepressant Wellbutrin, are in a class of their own, as they don™t readily correspond to anything else on the market.

œWe think Wellbutrin effects norepinephrine and dopamine,? said Crockett. œRemeron is also its own class.?

Wellbutrin is best suited for melancholic, low-energy depressions that lead to somewhat vegetative behavior, while Remeron is better indicated for someone with an agitated depression and insomnia, said Crockett.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Melania Zaharopoulos is a writer for the Lifestyles section. She can be reached at melaniaz@svnewspapers.com

Hi Lindsay,
I've just joined this Forum.
You're obviously quite knowledgeable on the subject. May I ask if you're a sufferer yourself or a compassionte soul with an interest in the subject?
Regards.
Cobber

#3 Girljusthiding

Girljusthiding

ID: 117095

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:07 PM

I've struggled with depression most of my life, but wasn't truly diagnosed until I was well in my 30's, after having my first child.

Post partum was the original diagnosis.  The last medicine I was on was Zoloft, but I went off of it because I was going through a divorce.

That was in 2005.  I have been pretty successfully off of meds and doing well until recently.  Some of it I think is dealing with the

loss of my little brother in December of 2012 a few days before Christmas.  Now my 16 year old son has came to me and ask to

visit our family Doctor.  He feels he is depressed, and hadn't bothered me with it until now, because he sees me struggling already

and doesn't want to add to my troubles. He simply can't continue dealing with it alone. 

My concerns. of course, are what medicine will be safe for him, if the Doctor chooses to go that route.  I remember so many

I tried listed suicide as a possible side effect in teens and young adults.  I'm scared for him, and really worried it is in fact my

depression and inability to deal with it currently that is causing him to feel he is suffering from it.  

Are these worries justified?    

Edited by Girljusthiding, 13 January 2014 - 11:08 PM.

#4 Saros

Saros

Advanced Member

ID: 112468

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

I've struggled with depression most of my life, but wasn't truly diagnosed until I was well in my 30's, after having my first child.

Post partum was the original diagnosis.  The last medicine I was on was Zoloft, but I went off of it because I was going through a divorce.

That was in 2005.  I have been pretty successfully off of meds and doing well until recently.  Some of it I think is dealing with the

loss of my little brother in December of 2012 a few days before Christmas.  Now my 16 year old son has came to me and ask to

visit our family Doctor.  He feels he is depressed, and hadn't bothered me with it until now, because he sees me struggling already

and doesn't want to add to my troubles. He simply can't continue dealing with it alone. 

My concerns. of course, are what medicine will be safe for him, if the Doctor chooses to go that route.  I remember so many

I tried listed suicide as a possible side effect in teens and young adults.  I'm scared for him, and really worried it is in fact my

depression and inability to deal with it currently that is causing him to feel he is suffering from it.  

Are these worries justified?    

I don't know much about teen issues, but I wanted to recommend you might get a referral from your GP to see a mental health professional, like a psychologist or psychiatrist. My psychiatrist has had additional training and remains aware of current developments in mental health, and spends a lot more time diagnosing. I'd be concerned a GP would simply suggest medication, or not, after 5 or 10 minutes and then wait a few months to see what happened. Good luck to you.

P.S. I've had mildly psychotic reactions to two mainstream SSRIs, one of which had a profound effect on suicide ideation. I think it's something to remain aware of whether teen or adult.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users