Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Zoloft Causing Weird Tastes In My Mouth?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RanDog

RanDog

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Have any of you every experienced this? Ever since I started taking the meds, I have a strange taste in my mouth all the time. It's hard to describe, almost like a metal taste maybe.

#2 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 27,603 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:36 AM

There are side effects associated with many meds. The taste effect is one of them. I hope it goes away in a few weeks, especially if you are new to Zoloft.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#3 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

I experienced this on start up, but it was temporary. I can't remember exactly how long, but it was at most a few days. I have had mild side effects compared to some, so you may experience it for longer, but it should still be only temporary. If it continues, this or any SE's that don't go away should be discussed with your doc. Many people get scared of the SE's when they start meds, but they will pass.

Keep us posted!

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

Hi RanDog,

:hearts: I experienced this on the start up of a few different SSRI's, but they passed. Can't really say that I paid enough attention to tell you how long they lasted. I can also remember experiencing it on some tapers as well, so may have something to do with lower doses.

Peace and Love... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#5 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:22 AM

Ran Dog:

You wouldn't happen to be taking Lunesta in addition to Zoloft, would you?

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#6 RanDog

RanDog

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:11 PM

No just Zoloft and Xanex. Today I had an episode where I just starting crying for no reason. Any of you go through that?

#7 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

Today I had an episode where I just starting crying for no reason. Any of you go through that?

More times than I can count, RD. More times than I can count.

You didn't mention how long ago you started Zoloft. If you've only recently begun taking the med, give it some time to get settled into your system and begin working. The crying jags should decrease over time.

If, on the other hand, you've been taking Zoloft for some time and are still experiencing tears for no reason, talk to your doc. You may need a higher dose or another med.

In either case, you should mention the crying to your doc. He/She needs to be kept up to date on all that is happening to you.

The reason I asked if you were taking Lunesta was because that particular med had the worst aftertaste. It was so awful that mere words cannot accurately describe the vile taste.

The bad tastes you're experiencing are probably caused by the Zoloft. This nasty SE will go away in time.

:hearts:

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#8 Isabeau

Isabeau

• Platinum Member
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:02 PM

RanDog :hearts:

I was on Zoloft a few years ago and found that all the food I was eating just tasted the same.

I am no longer on this medication as it didnt work for me. I had heaps of side effects that would just no ease off and then I started to lose a lot of weight and was also hallucinating and there were others things too. I was on the medication for about 9 months when the doctor changed me off that medication.

I think as others have said its probably best to go and see your doctor.

As for the crying that has happened to me on and off medication,for years where I start crying for no reason and it wont stop and I become so sad. I dont really know why that happens.

Isabeau :bump:
IS-A-BOW
© AJ

We're our own dragons as well as our own heroes,
and we have to rescue ourselves from ourselves.

#9 RanDog

RanDog

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:06 AM

I've only been on the medication for about 8 weeks. I am sleeping better for the most part, but it seems like I cry one a week. My poor wife I think is starting to lose her patience with me.

#10 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:19 AM

I've only been on the medication for about 8 weeks. I am sleeping better for the most part, but it seems like I cry one a week. My poor wife I think is starting to lose her patience with me.

Hi RanDog,

Has she said that? I have found most woman appreciate a man that can cry.

Peace and Love....wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#11 RanDog

RanDog

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

Well crying I suppose is one thing, breaking down like a blubbering ***** is another. Lately I fall into the later category. I have a stressful job and I want to quit, but the thought of the unknown scares the crap out of me. I have my first appointment with a therapist so we'll see how that goes.

#12 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 01:06 PM

RD:

It's good that you're seeing a therapist. Therapy can work wonders. Good luck.

Please give us an update after the appointment.

:hearts:

-Bean

Edited by Beanchop99, 22 August 2007 - 01:07 PM.

Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#13 RanDog

RanDog

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:34 PM

Well today was a great day. I told my boss and she was really receptive. She informed me that both her sons had similar issues. I think just telling her has lifted quite a load off of my shoulders. I also had my first appointment with my therapist and that went well too. Today was the best day I've had in a long time. Thanks for all your support everyone.

#14 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:41 PM

I'm glad to hear that you've had a good day - they mean a lot.

And I am especially glad to hear that your boss was receptive, and therapy went well. Hopefully, you have found a soft place to land, and can start on the path to recovery. And of course, keep us posted!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 RanDog

RanDog

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:27 PM

Most of you who've been dealing with this for a while, is it like a roller coaster when I can expect ups and downs? I hope not, but my therapist was great so we'll see. My next appointment is Monday.

#16 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hi Randog,

When the zoloft started kicking in, I would still have ups and downs. I would have a few good hours here and there, then a good day here and there, and then the good days started running together. I had ups and downs during that period, but the downs got progressively better until they were "normal" downs, not "depressed" downs. It was very discouraging to me when I'd start feeling better and then start feeling down again, but it was an adjusting process that eventually worked itself out and I stabilized.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users