Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Buspar, Does It Work?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:04 AM

I've heard people say this medicine doesn't work. Does anyone have experience?

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi OCDRunner,

I'm sure you'll get some responses here, but just as another resource, I noticed that there are some posts about people's experience with Buspar under the "Other Depression and Anxiety Medications" forum. Also, under its "Important Topics", there is a "Buspar FAQs" thread.

I've heard people say this medicine doesn't work. Does anyone have experience?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 smithar

smithar

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:11 PM

Just thought i would chime in, I am on Buspar. I take it with my Cymbalta, i LOVE the buspar

#4 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:36 PM

I was on a small dose of buspar at night when I first started Lexapro and it helped me sleep, but had no effect on my anxiety. My doc suggested I take a small dose during the day and it actually make me anxious. One thing about buspar, is that it's not addictive. Now, I was on a really small dose and know of people who really had good success with it on a higher dose.

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#5 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:31 AM

I was on a small dose of buspar at night when I first started Lexapro and it helped me sleep, but had no effect on my anxiety. My doc suggested I take a small dose during the day and it actually make me anxious. One thing about buspar, is that it's not addictive. Now, I was on a really small dose and know of people who really had good success with it on a higher dose.

Jackie

Thank you to everyone who replied. I believe Buspar will be my next attempt to fight the demons that plague me.

To be honest, I don't think it will work. There have been too many attempts and failures. Joyful side effects or the lack of efficacy have stopped every other medication I've tried. Do I sound jaded or what?

Thanks once again for everyone's input.

OCDRunner

#6 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 06:53 AM

It inexpensive and worth a try. One never knows how a med will work for them unless they try it for themselves..... If you are anxious, talk to your doc about it as I'm sure he's heard all the press about different meds. I know I didn't want anything addictive and was afraid of benzo's, but they were the only thing that worked quickly. We've all heard lots about benzo's, and most people will say that they work well, but there are some who abuse them......

Jackie
Posted Image

#7 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:04 AM

Maybe someone can confirm (lambvet?), but I don't think Buspar is a benzo. Its PI states: "BuSpar® (buspirone hydrochloride tablets, USP) is an antianxiety agent that is not chemically or pharmacologically related to the benzodiazepines, barbiturates, or other sedative/anxiolytic drugs." I don't think that is what you were inferring Jackie, but just thought I'd show what I found. Now. . .if it's not in those "families" of drugs, I don't know which one it does qualify for.

I'd say, give it a try. I don't think you have anything to lose by trying and hopefully you'll have something to gain.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

It inexpensive and worth a try. One never knows how a med will work for them unless they try it for themselves..... If you are anxious, talk to your doc about it as I'm sure he's heard all the press about different meds. I know I didn't want anything addictive and was afraid of benzo's, but they were the only thing that worked quickly. We've all heard lots about benzo's, and most people will say that they work well, but there are some who abuse them......

Jackie

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 sober4life

sober4life

Gold Member

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 05:25 PM

It works but it was very addictive for me so watch out! I went from the minimum to the maximum without the doctor's aproval in a week. It was like I couldn't stop taking it.

#9 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:01 AM

Buspar is not addictive. It made me more anxious, so I couldn't take it. I guess one could get addicted to the effect it has, as there are some meds that people prefer, but to be addictive, you have to go through a withdrawl and this med has no withdrawl.

Benzo's are addictive. Ativan, Xanax, Klonapin, Valium, to name a few popular ones.

I tried it and took a small dose at night to keep me asleep. When I tried to take it during the day, I almost had a panic attack.

Ihatelife,

What do you find this med does that you really like?

Jackie Sorry for any misunderstanding! :hearts:
Posted Image

#10 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:35 AM

Hi OCDRunner, and thank you MaddieLouise,

According to the literature it has an efficacy comparable to diazepam in treating generalized anxiety disorder.

However it shows no potential for addiction compared to other drugs commonly prescribed for anxiety, especially benzodiazepine medications. The development of tolerance has not been noticed. Cross-tolerance to benzodiazepines, barbiturates and alcohol does not exist. If it was addicting, it would be used in detox of these drugs, but it is contraindicated because it won't protect someone from the withdrawal symptoms. Furthermore, it is non-sedating. And IT IS NOT ADDICTING! But obviously it can be abused by some.

It was a favorite years ago but is falling back in favor of some of the newer ADs that have shown efficacy in GAD as well. It words as an agonist/antagonist (blocker by taking up the receptor site) of serotonin and dopamine reducing the stimulation of these brain amines. So this works much differently than the SSRIs. This is an example of why different meds have different responses. This particular med only works for those that their anxiety is caused by too much serotonin or dopamine. Other people get relief from their anxiety by increasing the availability of serotonin. The difference lies in which part of the brain the problem lies in, some areas of the brain use serotonin to increase nerve transmission and in other areas serotonin is used to reduce nerve transmission. An example is generally, high serotonin level cause excitation like in serotonin syndrome, whereas a good dose of serotonin (elevation of the precursor tryptophan) cause sleepiness - like in mother's milk and a good turkey dinner. That is one of the reason it is so hard for our doctors to pick the right medication, first time, every time. There are no blood test to tell them where or what is not functioning correctly.

BE Peace and BE Love.....

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#11 ShailynsMOM

ShailynsMOM

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'm starting on BuSpar this weekend I hope it helps my severe anxiety. *crosses fingers*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users