Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

I Want To Sleep All The Time!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 smilingneondream

smilingneondream

ID: 18055

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:59 PM

What can I do, is this normal… Whenever something unpleasant happens or I become depressed or even anxious I want to go to sleep!!! I am sleepy all day, my thinking is muddled and my memory is horrid. I feel that I am a drag to be around. It is a chore just to open my mouth and speak. Does anybody know how to get out of this terrible mode …
  • Hamz94 likes this

#2 Mini_Me

Mini_Me

ID: 17612

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:22 PM

What can I do, is this normal… Whenever something unpleasant happens or I become depressed or even anxious I want to go to sleep!!! I am sleepy all day, my thinking is muddled and my memory is horrid. I feel that I am a drag to be around. It is a chore just to open my mouth and speak. Does anybody know how to get out of this terrible mode …

So this is a symptom of depression?
Sleepy, negative thoughts always, no effort in trying.
I just thought I was being lazy or it was a thing I was going through.

Guess its really depression .... :hearts:

#3 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Yes, oversleeping is a symptom of depression. It's a way to escape a painful existence.

Sometimes willpower isn't enough to get you moving. Have you tried medication and/or psychotherapy?
  • Hamz94 likes this
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#4 smilingneondream

smilingneondream

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:14 PM

Yes, and I took them very diligently... But none seem to help me. I am still taking my lamictal, but I dont see any difference. I will keep trying though.

#5 smilingneondream

smilingneondream

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:15 PM

As far as therapy, I guess giving it a shot again couldnt hurt. But it is too expensive for me now, even with insurance!!!

#6 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

ID: 6878

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:13 AM

Hey Smiling,

I found that getting up and trying to do little things would help break the cycle. Depression is one of those things that likes to fester, the more we give in the worse it often becomes.

Therapy can be expensive, maybe there is the option of group therapy in your area which could work out cheaper or even free? Something to look into anyway.

Take care,
SO6
Life is too short to wake up with regrets,
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy....
they just promised itd be worth it.

#7 Shauny

Shauny

ID: 17705

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:09 AM

I think I oversleep a bit. I often get up very late in the morning (sometimes the afternoon), because I don't want to deal with the day. So I guess I can relate. I also find it easier to sleep in the day, as I have difficulty getting to sleep at night.

Anyway, I think therapy is a good idea. I'm fortunate to have the NHS here in the UK, so it's free. Well, that's until I'll have to pay taxes. I only see my therapist/counsellor fortnightly, and other than her, I don't really talk to anybody at all. But at least it's something.

#8 smilingneondream

smilingneondream

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

I notice that I become much more active and motivated at night! Perhaps that is because I know in the back of my mind that less people are out at this time, and that it is dark and no one can see you. Maybe that sounds strange, but alot of my depression stems from anxiety... I am nervous around others, afraid of bad things happening to me during the day(of course they always happen during the day...That phone call or accident or bad encounter because that is when the normal world is active( and insecure about my own self-worth. This keeps me from functioning and doing anything productive and because I am conciously aware of these facts I become depressed and hopeless because I feel useless. And where are we safe from these feelings? In our dreams, of course. But at night, it is more private and it is as if I have a live wire in me!

Any tips on how to be high-functioning during the day? By the way, thank you to everyone who has replied! Being new here and sort of desperate for help, I am very appreciative of your time and feedback.

#9 Guest_tomedcollins_*

Guest_tomedcollins_*

ID: 0

• Guests

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:15 PM

I've personally found that medication often doesn't help in this respect. Prozac, Cipralex, and Cymbalta (which i'm currently on) all significantly increased the amount of sleep I need, and my general level of lethargy when awake (conversely though, Seroxat left me needing only 4-6 hours sleep per night). Irrespective of state of mind, when medicated I find it difficult to read a book for more than half an hour or so as I get so tired and need to at least shut my eyes and rest my mind for a while, if not actually doze off. I'm often the same when playing video games and writing e-mails as well, although not so much when watching movies (I figure it's because that's a 'passive' activity).

A little experimentation (i.e. not taking my medication for a few days) led me to realise that the problem (or at least a very big part of it) is definitely the medication. It takes about 2-3 days without Cymbalta for my energy levels to dramatically rise, and for my need to sleep to dramatically lessen.

However, I cannot emphasise enough that what I did was foolhardy... OK, downright stupid, I admit it... and that NO-ONE should do it. I only mentioned it as some kind of proof for my claim, not as a suggestion!

#10 vanran

vanran

ID: 11570

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:17 PM

omg me too! i end up not doing any work and my grades are suffering :(

#11 flippingout

flippingout

Gold Member

ID: 11138

• Gold Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:30 PM

seek help. sleeping all the time will not solve your problem in the long run. i have slept many of my life away from debilitating depression. it is so not worth it.
Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
-Family Guy

#12 mccoffee

mccoffee

Advanced Member

ID: 16326

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:59 AM

i've been having a simmilar thing allergies have been kicking up when they do take the allergery med and sleep the only time I"m awake is midnight I see the quack toommorow not sure if a med change will do it ,or not.

It's like the only time ihave energery is at midnight durring the day i just feel like hell when i'm awake i'm at a lost.

#13 monrose

monrose

ID: 28662

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:28 PM

I think I oversleep a bit. I often get up very late in the morning (sometimes the afternoon), because I don't want to deal with the day. So I guess I can relate. I also find it easier to sleep in the day, as I have difficulty getting to sleep at night.

Anyway, I think therapy is a good idea. I'm fortunate to have the NHS here in the UK, so it's free. Well, that's until I'll have to pay taxes. I only see my therapist/counsellor fortnightly, and other than her, I don't really talk to anybody at all. But at least it's something.

hi shauny

you sound the same as me i stay in bed as long as i can cause i cant find an incentive to get me up n going even if realistically i have lots to do .. i also have trouble sleeping which makes me want to nap during the day and vert tired and lethargic

#14 LadyCampbell

LadyCampbell

ID: 28491

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

Since being on Cymbalta , i find I'm so sleepy . Some days its all I can do to sit up in bed. Its tough as I'm a single mum with 2 of my kids still at home. Thank God I live in community, so get lots of help. Its not all the time , it comes in spells so to speak. I wake up dreaming of napping after lunch. and when i do, i sleep like a log. When will my energy come back?
I don't get depressed nearly as much as before,but when i do get a bout ,its much worse than it ever was. Last time kept me in my bed for 24 hours!

#15 livingwithBPD

livingwithBPD

Silver Member

ID: 25123

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:47 AM

I'm exactically like you and want to sleep alot. I tend to sleep better during the day than night. Mind you depends on how I feel I can sleep 24\7 no worries. It depends on my depression.

#16 nikhaeli

nikhaeli

Just Registered

ID: 30255

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:12 PM

I'm exactically like you and want to sleep alot. I tend to sleep better during the day than night. Mind you depends on how I feel I can sleep 24\7 no worries. It depends on my depression.

i don't even know what BPD is, but i've been going thru the same thing- wanting to sleep all the time...i could easily sleep 12 hours a night. i was being treated for panic attacks, but i'd had alot of OCD and depression my whole life. i've been on Wellbutrin for years now, and it got to the point where it wasn't even working anymore. i just went on Cymbalta a week ago, and i feel much better already. i have more energy, and just generally feel better about everything. i felt...and still feel like i love my dream time cause it's so much more interesting than 'real physical' life. if you're opening up to a psychic plane, or the astral plane, or whatever it may be...it's really hard to come back to 'reality' when you wake up, and the excitement goes away. i dream about other worlds that are so interesting and that i can hardly stand leaving when i wake up. granted, i have done alot of drugs in my life, being an old hippy, but i'm not on drugs now. i wonder if my panic attacks are a flashback to when i did LSD. i really know of no studies about the long term affects of the drugs that so many kids did in the 70's. i don't know why that wouldn't be investigated. are there no real scientists out there that want to investigate this? i would also like to know if there's any research about mescaline...just a curious hippy. =)

"The world breaks everyone, and afterward...some are strong at the broken places." (~Ernest Hemingway)

#17 kaley123

kaley123

Just Registered

ID: 32302

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:09 AM

Cymbalta made me sleepy too. I took adderall at the same time so that is where i got my energy. I dont think it was a healthy combination.
I took myself off both last year, and as you know, when you miss a cymbalta YOU CAN FEEL IT.
Oh man, when I got off it, I think I slept for an entire week.

#18 nakissa

nakissa

Just Registered

ID: 42823

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 09:41 AM

i don't even know what BPD is, but i've been going thru the same thing- wanting to sleep all the time...i could easily sleep 12 hours a night. i was being treated for panic attacks, but i'd had alot of OCD and depression my whole life. i've been on Wellbutrin for years now, and it got to the point where it wasn't even working anymore. i just went on Cymbalta a week ago, and i feel much better already. i have more energy, and just generally feel better about everything. i felt...and still feel like i love my dream time cause it's so much more interesting than 'real physical' life. if you're opening up to a psychic plane, or the astral plane, or whatever it may be...it's really hard to come back to 'reality' when you wake up, and the excitement goes away. i dream about other worlds that are so interesting and that i can hardly stand leaving when i wake up. granted, i have done alot of drugs in my life, being an old hippy, but i'm not on drugs now. i wonder if my panic attacks are a flashback to when i did LSD. i really know of no studies about the long term affects of the drugs that so many kids did in the 70's. i don't know why that wouldn't be investigated. are there no real scientists out there that want to investigate this? i would also like to know if there's any research about mescaline...just a curious hippy. =)

I found this thread because of my own sleep issues. But I've also taken self medicated maybe 10 separate occasions each in my 38 yrs and it wasn't until about 32 when I had my first panic attack. Now I can talk my self down from the panic with breathing and drinking water, now that I know what's happening to me. I was very scared when they first started happening because I didn't know what was going on. I thought I was having seizures from wellbutrin and went to my dr. I don't take medication now but believe with my over sleeping it may be time. However, you might want to research Terrance McKenna (pod casts) and that may lead you to some mescaline research. I love my dream world too. Sometime excessive caffeine helps but at the cost of tummy aches. -cheers.

Edited by SecretMist, 22 November 2009 - 02:31 PM.

• chan hean likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users