Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Effects Of Taking Zoloft If Your Not Depressed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 huntergreen85

huntergreen85

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 05:22 PM

What would happen to a person taking Zoloft if they were not clinicaly depressed? Like say if you just felt depressed and werent actually medicly depressed. Would it damage your system in some way? And if it would damage your system, then why is it be ok to take when you are actually depressed?

#2 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 07:47 PM

The only damage I have been made aware of is if you take way too much - and any medicine will cause damage when you exceed the max dosage. Furthermore, since SSRI's are intended to restore your neurochemistry to normal functioning, if your neurochemistry was normal, and you took meds, it would likely make you feel worse. I can only comment on my experiences with another med which made my imbalance worse, and gave me symptoms of bipolar disorder. I needed an SSRI and was given Wellbutrin - which is an atypical AD that, as I understand it, works on your dopamine and norepinephrine levels. In other words, the WB made my neurotransmitter imbalance among serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine worse.

It's just like type I (or insulin dependent) diabetes. If insulin isn't there, your body can't regulate your blood glucose. If seratonin's not there, you can't feel happy no matter the situation. So, diabetics take insulin to regulate their blood chemistry and return it to normal just as depressed people take meds to return their brain chemistry to normal. Taking insulin wouldn't be a good idea if you weren't diabetic, any more than if you weren't depressed (situationally OR clinically) and took an AD. If you were situationally depressed, and took an AD for a while to get over the rough spot, it would help due to your brain's need for seratonin - however, if your brain chemistry returned to normal on its own, you'd feel worse and need to wean off the meds.

One thing that many people fail to understand is that antidepressants don't make you happy - they only make you capable of being happy by making the neurotransmitters available at your synapses. They have a normalizing effect, not an influential one.

I have known people who were situationally depressed for periods in their life, and took SSRI's for their symptoms, and none of them reported anything other than the normal side effects which were temporary. And after going off meds, they were fine again.

For me, the side effects of depression are far more dangerous than the side effects of meds. At least the side effects of the meds go away after a while....

Take care,
Dewayne
I'm not a complete *****. Some parts are missing.
Please don't drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
If life is a joke, then I don't get it.
I'm just mentally ill. It's the rest of the world that's crazy.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 08:09 PM

Hunter Green:

You should NEVER take a drug unless it has been prescribed specifically for you. I can't stress enough how important it is that you do not take meds unless they were prescribed for you by a doc.

Have you been prescribed Zoloft? Has a doc ever diagnosed you a depressive? How are you getting the Zoloft?

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#4 huntergreen85

huntergreen85

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:19 PM

Thank you both for your ansers, and you can relax because I was perscribed Zoloft by my doctor for depression and anxiety (situational).... I was just wondering.

#5 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

Thanks for letting us know - I know how scary going on meds can be, I was afraid of them for a long time, but as long as you follow your doc's advice you should be okay.

Just remember that any side effects you experience should go away - if they don't then tell your doc. And remember, you need to taper off on SSRI's, because quitting cold turkey is a shock to your system and is not good for you. Those seem to be the two things that worry people most about going on meds.

Keep us posted though!

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 RockingHard

RockingHard

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:09 AM

What would happen to a person taking Zoloft if they were not clinicaly depressed? Like say if you just felt depressed and werent actually medicly depressed. Would it damage your system in some way? And if it would damage your system, then why is it be ok to take when you are actually depressed?

I wouldn't bother, then you will have to go through withdrawal..

#7 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, and besides, taking an SSRI when you don't need one can actually cause you to feel worse. SSRI's are intended to correct a chemical imbalance, so if none exists and you take an SSRI, it can actually create an imbalance.

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 luvanimals

luvanimals

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 01:23 AM

I know it's been a while since your initial question but I thought I'd pipe in on this thread for you or anyone else who may also be interested...

Would it damage your system in some way? And if it would damage your system, then why is it be ok to take when you are actually depressed?

As far as damage to your system, I really don't know for sure. There is info out there but I try not to be too aware of what 7 years and counting of taking Zoloft may or may not do to me physically ;)

But, I don't think that if it did cause damage to your system that it would be "ok" to take it if you are depressed versus not depressed. For me, it is the lesser of two evils so to speak. I really don't have a choice in the matter. If I don't take Zoloft, I cannot function, I lose touch with reality, I'll have upwards of 60 panic attacks a day. Zoloft does for my brain chemicals what they can't seem to do naturally.

I wish very much that I do not need to take meds and fought having to take them for a long time before things got so out of control that I had to try them to save my life. Don't get me wrong, I am very very thankful that medical science has made such strides in mental health medication. If these were the really old days, I'd be sailing around on the "ship of fools" just because I have a chemical imbalance!

I think that Zoloft is a fantastic med for those who truly need it. But with all psych meds, there are downsides. So I don't think that I would take it unless I absolutely without a doubt knew that I required it and that it was given under appropriate medical supervision.

Anyway, just my two cents (sorry it turned into $2.50) :)
I know you've got a little life in you yet, I know you have a lot of strength left...

#9 DeeBear

DeeBear

• Platinum Member
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 24 September 2007 - 11:47 AM

Hi luvanimals,

I think you have hit the nail on the head here - many of us feel that way. While meds have saved my life, there are downsides, but the side effects of depression/anxiety are far worse than the side effects of meds.

I wish no one had to take meds, and that all mental illness could be cured. Maybe someday....

Take care,
Dewayne
Posted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users