• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huntergreen85

Effects Of Taking Zoloft If Your Not Depressed

9 posts in this topic

Posted

What would happen to a person taking Zoloft if they were not clinicaly depressed? Like say if you just felt depressed and werent actually medicly depressed. Would it damage your system in some way? And if it would damage your system, then why is it be ok to take when you are actually depressed?

You might also be interested in:

Posted

The only damage I have been made aware of is if you take way too much - and any medicine will cause damage when you exceed the max dosage. Furthermore, since SSRI's are intended to restore your neurochemistry to normal functioning, if your neurochemistry was normal, and you took meds, it would likely make you feel worse. I can only comment on my experiences with another med which made my imbalance worse, and gave me symptoms of bipolar disorder. I needed an SSRI and was given Wellbutrin - which is an atypical AD that, as I understand it, works on your dopamine and norepinephrine levels. In other words, the WB made my neurotransmitter imbalance among serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine worse.

It's just like type I (or insulin dependent) diabetes. If insulin isn't there, your body can't regulate your blood glucose. If seratonin's not there, you can't feel happy no matter the situation. So, diabetics take insulin to regulate their blood chemistry and return it to normal just as depressed people take meds to return their brain chemistry to normal. Taking insulin wouldn't be a good idea if you weren't diabetic, any more than if you weren't depressed (situationally OR clinically) and took an AD. If you were situationally depressed, and took an AD for a while to get over the rough spot, it would help due to your brain's need for seratonin - however, if your brain chemistry returned to normal on its own, you'd feel worse and need to wean off the meds.

One thing that many people fail to understand is that antidepressants don't make you happy - they only make you capable of being happy by making the neurotransmitters available at your synapses. They have a normalizing effect, not an influential one.

I have known people who were situationally depressed for periods in their life, and took SSRI's for their symptoms, and none of them reported anything other than the normal side effects which were temporary. And after going off meds, they were fine again.

For me, the side effects of depression are far more dangerous than the side effects of meds. At least the side effects of the meds go away after a while....

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

Hunter Green:

You should NEVER take a drug unless it has been prescribed specifically for you. I can't stress enough how important it is that you do not take meds unless they were prescribed for you by a doc.

Have you been prescribed Zoloft? Has a doc ever diagnosed you a depressive? How are you getting the Zoloft?

-Bean

Posted

Thank you both for your ansers, and you can relax because I was perscribed Zoloft by my doctor for depression and anxiety (situational).... I was just wondering.

Posted

Thanks for letting us know - I know how scary going on meds can be, I was afraid of them for a long time, but as long as you follow your doc's advice you should be okay.

Just remember that any side effects you experience should go away - if they don't then tell your doc. And remember, you need to taper off on SSRI's, because quitting cold turkey is a shock to your system and is not good for you. Those seem to be the two things that worry people most about going on meds.

Keep us posted though!

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

What would happen to a person taking Zoloft if they were not clinicaly depressed? Like say if you just felt depressed and werent actually medicly depressed. Would it damage your system in some way? And if it would damage your system, then why is it be ok to take when you are actually depressed?

I wouldn't bother, then you will have to go through withdrawal..

Posted

Yeah, and besides, taking an SSRI when you don't need one can actually cause you to feel worse. SSRI's are intended to correct a chemical imbalance, so if none exists and you take an SSRI, it can actually create an imbalance.

Take care,

Dewayne

Posted

I know it's been a while since your initial question but I thought I'd pipe in on this thread for you or anyone else who may also be interested...

Would it damage your system in some way? And if it would damage your system, then why is it be ok to take when you are actually depressed?

As far as damage to your system, I really don't know for sure. There is info out there but I try not to be too aware of what 7 years and counting of taking Zoloft may or may not do to me physically ;)

But, I don't think that if it did cause damage to your system that it would be "ok" to take it if you are depressed versus not depressed. For me, it is the lesser of two evils so to speak. I really don't have a choice in the matter. If I don't take Zoloft, I cannot function, I lose touch with reality, I'll have upwards of 60 panic attacks a day. Zoloft does for my brain chemicals what they can't seem to do naturally.

I wish very much that I do not need to take meds and fought having to take them for a long time before things got so out of control that I had to try them to save my life. Don't get me wrong, I am very very thankful that medical science has made such strides in mental health medication. If these were the really old days, I'd be sailing around on the "ship of fools" just because I have a chemical imbalance!

I think that Zoloft is a fantastic med for those who truly need it. But with all psych meds, there are downsides. So I don't think that I would take it unless I absolutely without a doubt knew that I required it and that it was given under appropriate medical supervision.

Anyway, just my two cents (sorry it turned into $2.50) :)

Posted

Hi luvanimals,

I think you have hit the nail on the head here - many of us feel that way. While meds have saved my life, there are downsides, but the side effects of depression/anxiety are far worse than the side effects of meds.

I wish no one had to take meds, and that all mental illness could be cured. Maybe someday....

Take care,

Dewayne