Advertisement

Scheduled Maintenance:

Please be aware that depressionforums will be down for a short period beginning from 02:00 EST (07:00 GMT) on Sunday 21st December for necessary maintenance. We apologise for the inconvenience and it should only take about 45 minutes.

• No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Soy Products May Cause Depression

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:19 PM

Overconsumption of soy isoflavones can potentially trigger a thyroid condition, or worsen an existing thyroid problem in many people. The symptoms, such as fatigue, weight gain, and depression or moodiness, are often overlooked and hard to diagnose.

"There is abundant evidence that some of the isoflavones found in soy, including genistein and equol, a metabolite of daidzen, demonstrate toxicity in estrogen sensitive tissues and in the thyroid. This is true for a number of species, including humans. Additionally, isoflavones are inhibitors of the thyroid peroxidase (TPO) which makes T3 and T4. Inhibition can be expected to generate thyroid abnormalities, including goiter and autoimmune thyroiditis. There exists a significant body of animal data that demonstrates goitrogenic and even carcinogenic effects of soy products. Moreover, there are significant reports of goitrogenic effects from soy consumption in human infants and adults."

(from researchers Daniel Doerge and Daniel Sheehan, two of the Food and Drug Administration's key experts on soy, protesting the health claims approved by the FDA on soy products.)

My fellow DF members:

I wanted to pass this information along to you, because I have personally noticed that when I consume soy foods, my depression is significantly worsened. I realize that not everyone will react this way, but if you consume soy and are experiencing the symptoms described above, you should at least be aware of this information. You could always try avoiding soy for a few days to see if there is any difference. If not, eat up! Personally, I have switched to whey protein, with great results. I realize that soy has some health benefits, but for me, the cons outweigh the pros.

If you want to read more about this controversy, you can Google "soy" and "benefits", as well as "soy" and "dangers", and decide for yourself.

Good health to you.
:hearts: Burgy

Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#2 Avery

Avery

ID: 13261

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for passing this information a long. I myself don't particularly care for soy products, but my sister does, so I'm going to make sure she knows about it as well. With so much going on for all of us already, if we can do something simple like cut back on how much we eat of a particular type of food, why not do so to help ourselves out? Thanks again.
"I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell."

"I guess some people are just born with tragedy in their blood."

"Will I lose my dignity? Will someone care?
Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?"

"I get plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions."

#3 Boo Forever

Boo Forever

ID: 17959

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hey Burgy!

Thankyou for posting this information as i substitute everything dairy with soy so this information is good to know!
IM not vegan but i try not to eat as many animal products as possible......I also just dont like milk and think its wierd that we as humans are the only species that drink infant milk from another animal hence why i dont drink it......Althought ill be going back on dairy only just to see if it makes a difference with my depression or not! I will research it more though before i do this but thankyou!

Thanks!

Jessie! :hearts:

#4 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 07:54 PM

I've tried rice milk, and it's pretty good. I agree, it's kind of weird to drink the mother's milk of another species. Although I use whey protein powder now, which is a milk derivative, and I really like it. It's one of the most easily assimilable proteins available.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#5 Boo Forever

Boo Forever

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

Hey Yes i have tried rice milk once not long ago! As far as i remember it was pretty nice!
I might actually get it again ans see how it goes with my breakfast cereal and whatever else!

Thannx :)

#6 Joanna

Joanna

ID: 6297

• 7,272 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:14 AM

I've been vegan for 6 years and I consume quite a few soy products. I've also read the bad health press about soy, but honestly, I think dairy products are so much more harmful to our health than soy. The way the dairy industry promotes milk as healthy is just plain wrong in my opinion. But that's a whole other topic!!

As for depression: I had it long before I went vegan and, unfortunately, I still have depression since I went vegan! But my personal experience definitely has not been that my depression has worsened as a result of going vegan (and therefore consuming more soy).

The food product that seems to wreak most havoc with my emotional state is sugar.

Joanna
Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

#7 shane79

shane79

ID: 4960

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:09 AM

Thanks for the info on soy. Everyone's body chemistry is different, and sometimes you just have to experiment with adding or deleting certain foods to see if there is any effect on your mood. I've read so many studies and I think I'm now more confused about what I should eat! :)

#8 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

I've read so many studies and I think I'm now more confused about what I should eat! :)

I know what you mean! There seems to be a new study out every week that contradicts what we've been told before. I listen to all sides, but then I let my own body, intuition, and logic make the final decision.

Soy has many health benefits, but it also has an estrogenic effect. That may be okay for women, and especially postmenopausal women, but my 35-year-old male body doesn't like it! Other men may not be as sensitive, and I certainly think that each person needs to let their own body be the judge, just like with antidepressants.

I'm very impressed with vegetarianism and especially veganism. It's a cleaner and more humane way of life. I wish I had the willpower for it! I've been able to taper down to one serving of fish or white meat a day, but I can't seem to go completely without!

Edited by suburgatory, 03 August 2007 - 10:00 AM.

#9 adorabelle

adorabelle

Platinum Member

ID: 11021

• Platinum Member
  • 2,638 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

i'm a vegetarian and I love soy-products. it has actually helped me with the way i feel, i feel better. there may be some truth to that, but nowadays if you take any food out there and hold it under a microscope and do some tests there is always going to be something negative. eat everything in moderation and you'll be fine. take meat for an instance (i'm not attacking meat-eaters, i'm doing this as my own personal choice and don't expect anyone else to change their eating habits because of me), meat is dirty - filled with antibiotics and feces because the conditions most slaughter animals live in are indescribable. the meds that are in the meat, a lot of times, cause reactions with other meds you are actually knowingly taking and no one can ever explain as to why?. now that can't be much worse than eating soy products :hearts:

:bump:
I'm too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and way too determined to be defeated. 

goldenvelope1jr.gif

#10 deepdiver

deepdiver

Advanced Member

ID: 7984

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:16 PM

Burgy,

Thanks for the info. I'm a vegetarian and living in a country where soy is used a lot. This is one of my protein source so I don't know what I should eat if I don't eat tofu and tempe. Has this been proven? Does this means vegetarians are more prone to depression? And what food gives the ups, just to counter the effect of the soy (if it does give any)? Besides sugar and chocolate, that is...

DD
Live might be hard for me right now but I'm working hard to get over the depression, even if I have to crawl slowly to recovery...

#11 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

Hi deepdiver,

There are so many contributing factors to depression, it's difficult to isolate any particular one. I just happened to notice some negative side effects when I drink soy milk, like fatigue, moodiness, and water retention, so I looked it up and found legitimate research on some possible ill effects of soy foods. Not everyone will react this way, and it seems that women get more benefit than men from soy, because of its estrogenic effect. Soy has many positive health benefits, so each person has to make a personal evaluation of the pros and cons. If you're not sure how soy is affecting you, I would suggest avoiding it for a week, to see if there is any difference. I know there are many conflicting opinions in the world about so many things, so I encourage people to listen to all sides, but make up their own minds based on their personal experience.

Vegetarians may be more prone to depression, not because of soy necessarily, but because of possible nutrient deficiencies. For instance, it's a challenge to get your full requirement of all the B vitamins as a vegetarian. But a good multivitamin can help.

I should mention that in these studies, fermented soy products don't seem to cause the side effects that unfermented soy products can. So the tempe and the more fermented tofus should be just fine. I encourage you to read up on it if you're concerned about the possible link between depression and soy products.

:hearts: Burgy

#12 Boo Forever

Boo Forever

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:39 PM

I've been vegan for 6 years and I consume quite a few soy products. I've also read the bad health press about soy, but honestly, I think dairy products are so much more harmful to our health than soy. The way the dairy industry promotes milk as healthy is just plain wrong in my opinion. But that's a whole other topic!!

As for depression: I had it long before I went vegan and, unfortunately, I still have depression since I went vegan! But my personal experience definitely has not been that my depression has worsened as a result of going vegan (and therefore consuming more soy).

The food product that seems to wreak most havoc with my emotional state is sugar.

Joanna

I agree Joanna!
I became depressed years before i ever comsumed soy also! It hasnt really made a difference if anything its been really beneficial for me!

#13 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

ID: 16232

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

Hi Boo Forever,

I totally understand where you are coming from about humans drinking another species milk. So, please do not take offense. But as a Veterinarian, I have seen kittens suckle from dogs, puppies suckle from cats just to name a few inter-species feeding habits. And I am not talking about in times of need only, just when the alternative is available. I have even been told by clients that their adult (young) cats having suckled off a female dog with a litter of puppies, and she lets them. And not just one experience, but 3-4 different times. There are also anecdotal and scientific accounts of inter-species feedings when animals are orphaned in the wild. So, in reality, I think it truly boils down to we do it because we can and not some seemingly unnatural act. LOL But we are most likely the only 'adults' of a species to regularly drink milk from a different species.

But regarding Burgie's thoughtful research, I myself am a soy nut (not to be confused with a bean). Much of it is fermented, liking Japanese food dearly. However, I also drink soy milk, about 4 to 1 cow's milk - 2% fat (nothing like a good shot of tryptophan in a warm glass of milk before bed - I am not sure it is as much the tryptophan as just having something in my stomach) and I have found it (the soy milk) has a calming effect for me. This is probably because I suffer (or did before we found the right medication) from anxiety/panic DO, so maybe a slight touch of depression was good for me. LOL Who knows, just my experience with soy milk. I guess this falls under different strokes for different folks!

Another thing that intrigued me, the estrogenic effect of soy products, that is supposed to be a good thing for males, counteracting the negative effects of testosterone on the heart and arteries. It is even supposed to protect against hair loss, boy I hope so! At my age, every hair is accountable.

And Jessie, let us know how your experiment with dairy products go, I'd like to hear you results. If you choose not to, I can understand that too. Cheers!

BE Peace and BE Love... wayne

Hey Burgy!
Thankyou for posting this information as i substitute everything dairy with soy so this information is good to know!
IM not vegan but i try not to eat as many animal products as possible......I also just dont like milk and think its wierd that we as humans are the only species that drink infant milk from another animal hence why i dont drink it......Althought ill be going back on dairy only just to see if it makes a difference with my depression or not! I will research it more though before i do this but thankyou! Thanks! Jessie! :hearts:

Edited by lambvet, 05 August 2007 - 11:13 PM.

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#14 Boo Forever

Boo Forever

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:30 AM

Hi Boo Forever,

I totally understand where you are coming from about humans drinking another species milk. So, please do not take offense. But as a Veterinarian, I have seen kittens suckle from dogs, puppies suckle from cats just to name a few inter-species feeding habits. And I am not talking about in times of need only, just when the alternative is available. I have even been told by clients that their adult (young) cats having suckled off a female dog with a litter of puppies, and she lets them. And not just one experience, but 3-4 different times. There are also anecdotal and scientific accounts of inter-species feedings when animals are orphaned in the wild. So, in reality, I think it truly boils down to we do it because we can and not some seemingly unnatural act. LOL But we are most likely the only 'adults' of a species to regularly drink milk from a different species.

But regarding Burgie's thoughtful research, I myself am a soy nut (not to be confused with a bean). Much of it is fermented, liking Japanese food dearly. However, I also drink soy milk, about 4 to 1 cow's milk - 2% fat (nothing like a good shot of tryptophan in a warm glass of milk before bed - I am not sure it is as much the tryptophan as just having something in my stomach) and I have found it (the soy milk) has a calming effect for me. This is probably because I suffer (or did before we found the right medication) from anxiety/panic DO, so maybe a slight touch of depression was good for me. LOL Who knows, just my experience with soy milk. I guess this falls under different strokes for different folks!

Another thing that intrigued me, the estrogenic effect of soy products, that is supposed to be a good thing for males, counteracting the negative effects of testosterone on the heart and arteries. It is even supposed to protect against hair loss, boy I hope so! At my age, every hair is accountable.

And Jessie, let us know how your experiment with dairy products go, I'd like to hear you results. If you choose not to, I can understand that too. Cheers!

BE Peace and BE Love... wayne

Hey Burgy!
IM not vegan but i try not to eat as many animal products as possible......I also just dont like milk and think its wierd that we as humans are the only species that drink infant milk from another animal hence why i dont drink it......Althought ill be going back on dairy only just to see if it makes a difference with my depression or not! I will research it more though before i do this but thankyou! Thanks! Jessie! :hearts:

HI Wayne!
Thats fine not offended at all! I myself just dont enjoy drinking milk and it totally doesnt bother me wether other people do or dont consume it!
I was going to try dairy but i cant do it! Also i was talking to my mom just about how long ive been depressed for and we both agreed that i was depressed years before i started drinking soy and cutting out dairy so i think i might just stick to my soy stuff, my mum agrees that she thinks a contribution to my depression is due to the fact that i dont eat meat or drink milk but i dissagree with her! but thats fine shes just being motherly about it all!

Anyways if i ever decide to try it ill let you guys know thanx!

Jess :)

#15 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

• 12,824 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 12:57 PM

Dang it! I decided to try soy again, to be sure of its effect on me. That was a mistake. Just an hour after consuming about 50mg of isoflavones in the form of organic soy milk, I'm feeling tired, bloated, moody, and depressed. :bump:

I'll be back in a while. I have to go get a tan, and stop by Starbucks to get a triple shot latte, so I can get through the day.

I wish I didn't have this reaction, because I love the taste of soy foods! :hearts:

#16 marak88

marak88

ID: 18416

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:54 PM

I also think too, if your allergic to it the symptoms will be worse. I consumed a lot of soy products-which may have been a big cause for my depression worsening. I have now switched over to almond milk as I am also allergic to dairy. There isn't a whole lot of nutrition in almond mild but it had good flavor and tastes great with a bowl of organic cereal!

I've also been told that soy beans as well as penuts for anyone with either of those two allergies your reaction may not be because of the product but infact you may be allergic to the chemicals. Farmers plant these in order to get all of the chemicals out of the soil so they can start fresh the following year. So by eating non organic penuts and soy you are actually eating a mouthful of chemicals. If you think it may be the cause of your depression you could try organic. As for the penuts, if you are allergic to other nuts as well it is infact a nut allergy, but if it is just penuts than that might be something to ask your doctor about.

Hope that helps someone out there

~Mara

#17 Joanna

Joanna

ID: 6297

• 7,272 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

I definitely agree that many people are allergic to soy. Soy is right up there with dairy, nuts and wheat as one of the most common allergy-causing food products. I imagine if you have an allergic reaction to any of these products it would certainly make you feel depressed.

I am vegan so I already avoid quite a few food groups :bump: I do consume some soy products, but I have vegan friends who completely avoid soy. It's certainly possible to eat a very rich and varied diet without eating soy (or meat, eggs or dairy!) :hearts:

It's amazing what you can do with nuts and seeds, for example. They make a great basis for sauces, salad dressings and desserts, and they are of course packed full of protein!! Nut milk is also a good substitute for soy or dairy milk (unless, of course, you are allergic to nuts!)

There are so many different types of foods to choose from so it makes total sense to avoid the ones that make you feel bad and substitute them with those that your body does well with.

Joanna

Edited by Joanna, 21 August 2007 - 10:00 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image Joanna

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users