Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Whats The Usual Price For Therapy?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hollykins

Hollykins

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:23 AM

I think I'll be starting therapy soon and I was just wondering what the usual price was and if people under the age of 18 dont have to pay or get some kind of discount.
I really can't afford to pay $100+ per session.

#2 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:36 AM

I think I'll be starting therapy soon and I was just wondering what the usual price was and if people under the age of 18 dont have to pay or get some kind of discount.

Hi Holly,

Don't have a clue about NZ, what about government run programs if you are short of money. But in Calif. it runs between $150 for therapy to $250 for psychotherapy. But you might search the net for that info in NZ, not too sure how many members we have here from NZ. Do they have a National Health Service there? If they do, it may not cost much at all.

P&L..... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#3 Hollykins

Hollykins

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

There must be some kind of government funding for therapy especially for people under 18.

I'm not so much short of money, just not making enough to be able to afford it.
Of course I could always ask my "father" to pay for it considering he the the cause for alot of my issues.

#4 betsylou

betsylou

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:26 PM

in the UK our school or college usually funds it.. xxx

#5 tbeav

tbeav

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:45 PM

I've been paying $120/hr to a CSW in suburban Philadelphia, PA

#6 Hollykins

Hollykins

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 01:15 AM

in the UK our school or college usually funds it.. xxx

I'm not at school or college. Haven't been for 3-4 years lol. I work full time.
So also getting time off work to go to an appointment is going to be a pain in the bum, I presume most therapy places close at 5pm?

#7 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 03:08 AM

Hi Holly,

Im also from NZ.

Have you heard of capital coast health? Their in most places around NZ and will treat people 18 or under for free. They have a serperate team which deal with mental health patients.

Depending on where you are i may be able to connect you with a few people who can redirect you.

Send me a pm if you like.
Take care,
SO6
Life is too short to wake up with regrets,
So love the people who treat you right.
Forget about the ones who don't.
Believe everything happens for a reason.
If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.
If it changes your life, let it.
Nobody said life would be easy....
they just promised itd be worth it.

#8 Hollykins

Hollykins

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:53 AM

My Dr has found me somewhere for free. Eastern somethingsomething. Which I'm glad, because I reeeeeallly can't afford $150+ a session and I really do think I need to see someone. But the waiting list is quite big so I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait. Just hoping I can get time off work to go.

#9 bunnzy

bunnzy

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 01:02 AM

I'm from australia, and medicare help out alot with my psychiatrist bills. They are $85 but i get back $65. The therapy i get for free from a church program, LDS Family Services. They usually charge $60 per hour, but if you have alot of appts like me and cant afford all of them the church helps and pays. I was sent to boarding school in hamilton for a few years, PM me if you want to talk about screwed up parents.

I'd rather be a mother than anyone on earth
Bringing up a child or two of unpretentious birth....
I'd rather tuck a little child all safe and sound in bed
Than twine a chain of diamonds about my (carefree) head.
I'd rather wash a smudgy face with round, bright, baby eyes
Than paint the pageantry of fame or walk amoung the wise.
- Meredith Gray, from The Beauty of Motherhood

#10 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:25 AM

My Dr has found me somewhere for free. Eastern somethingsomething. Which I'm glad, because I reeeeeallly can't afford $150+ a session and I really do think I need to see someone. But the waiting list is quite big so I'm not sure how long I'll have to wait. Just hoping I can get time off work to go.

Hey Holly,

Great your doc managed to sort you out with a free agency. Hopefully it wont take too long before you get your first appointment.
As far as work goes...work on that when the time arises...until then take care of yourself. But im sure they will be understanding or maybe the agency will run sessions outside of your work hours.

#11 Hollykins

Hollykins

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:37 AM

I'll get my Dr to write a note or something for my boss. Who knows, I could have been there 6 months by the time I get an appointment. (thats why I think it will be hard to get time off because I haven't been on the pay role for 6 months yet.)

#12 surgeon2006

surgeon2006

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 03:48 AM

I'll get my Dr to write a note or something for my boss. Who knows, I could have been there 6 months by the time I get an appointment. (thats why I think it will be hard to get time off because I haven't been on the pay role for 6 months yet.)

Even if you havent been there 6 months you woudlve still accumulated so many hours annual leave which your boss may allow you to take to attend your appointments.
If not...theres always the possibility of working some time in lieu if your boss would allow that. On the other hand a note from the doc will do the trick as well!

#13 crashandburn

crashandburn

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 05:48 PM

I go through work and it is free!! Lasts from 40 minutes to 3 hours!!!! Work gives me time off to go.

#14 rehill

rehill

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 01:51 AM

My psychiatrist is my therapist so it is covered by my provincial health care, no cost to me. I'm so lucky!!

#15 timmy

timmy

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

I pay about a 1 per minute, my sessions range from between 30 mins to an hour so the cost isn't too bad but when you have weekly appointments it does get pricey.
It is the client who knows what hurts, what directions to go, what problems are crucial, what experiences have been deeply buried - Carl Rogers

#16 badsleep

badsleep

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:30 PM

As far as I know price changes because of allot of factors.
Insurance type can change it from $1 - $100
How much the Dr him/herself charges can effect it, as each sets their own rate
It's always different, I pay about $30 per visit, so I can understand, it does add up.

Wishing you the best!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users