Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Fighting Ocd "naturally?"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 07:20 AM

Hello all OCD Comrades.

I was diagnosed with OCD about two years ago. After having a "break-down," I spent about 36 hours in a constant care facility where the diagnosis was made.

My OCD seems so different than most. I just can't stop thinking about certain things - losing my job and the death of loved ones. It is like someone is playing a horrific movie over and over in my head. That causes tremendous stress and depression that pushes me over the edge. When we had the last round of layoffs at our company, one of my managers said, "just put it out of your mind." That is the problem, I can't.

After two years on Cymbalta, I completely lost the ability to feel "relations" with my wife. That was the end of that. I went cold-turkey and have been off of it for about two weeks. The first "amorous encounter" was absolutely incredible. It was overpowering and all consuming. Words are inadequate to describe that encounter. I felt like at teenager again.

I'm afraid my OCD will force me to take another SSRI or some other drug that will take away such a beautiful life experience. Does anyone have information about natural cures for OCD? I don't want to give-up such a great part of my life if I can help it.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Avery

Avery

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:54 PM

Are you discussing your med concerns with a doctor or therapist, etc.? I'm sure that a doctor (of whatever sort) could discuss some alternatives with you, from a different type of med to natural treatments. I'm not sure if your search will lead you in this direction, but be careful of over-the-counter vitamins or supplements, as those are usually not FDA approved and can be iffy when not provided by a well-known, established brand. I'd also suggest checking out your local library, there'd probably be some very informative books there on the subject. Good luck in finding the treatment plan that works best for your health and peace of mind.
"I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell."

"I guess some people are just born with tragedy in their blood."

"Will I lose my dignity? Will someone care?
Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?"

"I get plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions."

#3 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:30 AM

Are you discussing your med concerns with a doctor or therapist, etc.? I'm sure that a doctor (of whatever sort) could discuss some alternatives with you, from a different type of med to natural treatments. I'm not sure if your search will lead you in this direction, but be careful of over-the-counter vitamins or supplements, as those are usually not FDA approved and can be iffy when not provided by a well-known, established brand. I'd also suggest checking out your local library, there'd probably be some very informative books there on the subject. Good luck in finding the treatment plan that works best for your health and peace of mind.

Thank you for the thoughts and ideas. I have an appointment with a Psychologist who specializes in this type of therapy. In addition, I'm going to see a Psychiatritst to discuss alternatives to SSRIs in case this doesn't work. I've been searching for info on alterantive treatments but don't see anything that sounds promising.

I want to avoid SSRIs because they completely remove my ability to enjoy physical relations with my wife and create a high level of anxiety. To be honest, I'm not optimistic.

If I can't eliminate OCD, perhaps they could fight the symptoms (anxiety/depression).?

Once again, Thanks for your help.

OCDRunner

#4 Avery

Avery

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:07 PM

If I can't eliminate OCD, perhaps they could fight the symptoms (anxiety/depression).?

I completely understand your concerns about SSRIs. The sexual side effects are a valid issue. I've only tried Paxil for my depression, which made things worse, but that never seemed to have any sexual side effects. A different SSRI might have a different effect for you, even though most of them do list sexual side effects. Again, that's certainly something your med doctor can help you with. There's also the options of anti-anxiety meds. I'm not sure about many of the medication treatment options for OCD, or all of the ways in which your OCD effects you, but I'm sure there are options for you. Also, cognitive behavioral therapy has been effective to treat OCD.

Anyway... hopefully you will find the treatment that works for you! OCD, depression, anxiety, etc. are so difficult to live with.
"I'm not crazy. I'm just a little unwell."

"I guess some people are just born with tragedy in their blood."

"Will I lose my dignity? Will someone care?
Will I wake tomorrow from this nightmare?"

"I get plenty of exercise jumping to conclusions."

#5 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:10 AM

I completely understand your concerns about SSRIs. The sexual side effects are a valid issue. I've only tried Paxil for my depression, which made things worse, but that never seemed to have any sexual side effects. A different SSRI might have a different effect for you, even though most of them do list sexual side effects. Again, that's certainly something your med doctor can help you with. There's also the options of anti-anxiety meds. I'm not sure about many of the medication treatment options for OCD, or all of the ways in which your OCD effects you, but I'm sure there are options for you. Also, cognitive behavioral therapy has been effective to treat OCD.

Anyway... hopefully you will find the treatment that works for you! OCD, depression, anxiety, etc. are so difficult to live with.

Thank you once again for your thoughts. This website is a nice place to discuss these issues. It is hard for friends, family members and spouces to understand what we are going through.

CAR

#6 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 08:10 AM

Hi OCDRunner,

Actually, if the OCD is not too severe, CBT without meds is usually recommended with good results. And in your case, which I totally understand, after my experiences with just about all the SSRIs, I finally told my pDoc to either find an alternative or no meds. Well we settled on mirtazapine and it worked for my MH issues and even was a little bit of a booster where SSRIs had been a bummer.
Plus there are newer ADs now, used in OCD, that have minimal sexual SEs. But they all vary. Even trazodone, known to sometimes have the opposite effect also lists ED as a poss. SE. Bupropion is another with minimal ED SEs, in fact it is sometimes added to a SSRI regimen to counteract the ED SE of SSRIs. So if it turns out that you do need to find a med there are probably many options still left to you.

Hope this helps with you search for answers, this is a common complaint, esp. with SSRIs.

wayne

Hello all OCD Comrades.
I was diagnosed with OCD about two years ago. After having a "break-down," I spent about 36 hours in a constant care facility where the diagnosis was made.
My OCD seems so different than most. I just can't stop thinking about certain things - losing my job and the death of loved ones. It is like someone is playing a horrific movie over and over in my head. That causes tremendous stress and depression that pushes me over the edge. When we had the last round of layoffs at our company, one of my managers said, "just put it out of your mind." That is the problem, I can't.
After two years on Cymbalta, I completely lost the ability to feel "relations" with my wife. That was the end of that. I went cold-turkey and have been off of it for about two weeks. The first "amorous encounter" was absolutely incredible. It was overpowering and all consuming. Words are inadequate to describe that encounter. I felt like at teenager again.
I'm afraid my OCD will force me to take another SSRI or some other drug that will take away such a beautiful life experience. Does anyone have information about natural cures for OCD? I don't want to give-up such a great part of my life if I can help it.
Thanks in advance.

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#7 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 12:24 PM

Wayne,
You seem to know a bit about these drugs. What is an AD?

SSRIs do not cause ED for me, but rather a complete loss of sensation. Its like someone could stop all of my nerves from "firing" in that area.

Another interesting note to this is how Cymbalta affects muscle cramps. I run alot and will often get a cramp in my legs or back side. After being on Cymbalta for about a year, most of the muscle cramps stopped. After stopping Cymbalta for a few days, my muscle cramps have returned. ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

CAR

#8 lambvet

lambvet

Premium Member

• Premium Platinum Member
  • 8,655 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:26 PM

Wayne,
You seem to know a bit about these drugs. What is an AD?
SSRIs do not cause ED for me, but rather a complete loss of sensation. Its like someone could stop all of my nerves from "firing" in that area.
Another interesting note to this is how Cymbalta affects muscle cramps. I run alot and will often get a cramp in my legs or back side. After being on Cymbalta for about a year, most of the muscle cramps stopped. After stopping Cymbalta for a few days, my muscle cramps have returned. ?
Thanks for your thoughts.
CAR

Hi CAR,

An AD is an anti-depressant, it gets used so much around here that it is so much easier.

Sorry, used my own experience, I used to call it chemical castration. No desire, no results and like you no sensation.

Interesting about the cramps, because, serotonin is also a neuro-muscular transmitter, so it would make sense. Neurotransmitters change the cell permeability and alter the potassium and sodium pumps at the cell membrane level. And since cramps are usually a function of faulty sodium-potassium exchange in the muscle fiber, it makes sense that it might somehow alter that whole system. In fact serotonin antagonist (blockers) are known to cause muscle cramps as a SE. So perhaps the SSRIs were providing you with a higher serotonin level at the muscular level. Or at least keeping it available to the receptor site longer.

The mirtazapine I mentioned works on serotonin in a different fashion than a typical SSRI, maybe you could have the best of both worlds. Wouldn't that be nice. Ask your pDoc about it, he may think is could help you with the OCD if you find that meds are your only option for good recovery.

P&L..... wayne

* * * NOTE: Administration/Moderator Team members are not Mental Health or Medical Professionals. * * *

(if you have any questions about your care or treatment, please contact your Doctor or Therapist for advice,
those of us here on DepressionForums are here as your personal peer support system.)

* * * * * If you feel you have an emergency, please click on one of the hotlines below. * * * * *

Posted ImagePosted Image U.S. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image U.K. Hotlines ❤ ❤ Posted Image International HotlinesPosted Image

" Angels fly because they take themselves lightly "

#9 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Depression can cause loss of sex drive. So can a dip in hormones. My ADs cause busy dreams so I wake exhausted, I could sleep for England! Not much good to Hubby .......

Relaxation therapy can help. Making time for ourselves to sit quietly - contemplation, deep breathing, prayer - what ever helps during 'you' time. Swimming and cycling are good exercises, also brisk walking. Maintaining a healthy diet, remaining hydrated and keeping to a routine is also useful - but we must allow flexibility within our day-to-day living otherwise anxiety can take over if we have to step outside the comfort zone. Finding a happy medium can be hard work!

Cognitive behaviour therapy can help but not always. Short courses of medication gives us breathing space. Sharing ideas here has been useful to me.
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#10 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 07:17 AM

Lizzy,

Thank you for your response. The issue is more of an inability to feel. I literally lose feeling in my lower section. Function isn't an issue. I've performed some research and found that the problem isn't unheard of. In fact, quite a few men get to the point of inorgasm. They/we are able to function, but are unable to actually feel what we are doing. It's like someone could shut down all of the nerve "firing' in that area."

I dropped Cymbalta about four weeks ago and have had bone jarring :hearts: orgasms since. My latest issue is just the opposite: Too good too fast, if you catch my drift.

That is all well and good, but I still have OCD and the issues that caused me to go on Cymbalta are coming back.

#11 Lizzy

Lizzy

• Platinum Member
  • 9,506 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:12 AM

Lucky you <rolls eyes> - so it was the medication which caused loss of sensation. So now which is worse: the lack of feeling or the OCD?

What stresses are you under? Is there anything that is making your 'habits' worse? If I'm anxious then my OCD is more noticeable.

What form does your OCC take? Where any of your family members aiming for constant perfection?
Lizzy
Any change is scary even when we want it Posted Image

#12 gentle sun

gentle sun

• Platinum Member
  • 4,505 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:03 AM

Lizzy,

Thank you for your response. The issue is more of an inability to feel. I literally lose feeling in my lower section.

Function isn't an issue. I've performed some research and found that the problem isn't unheard of. In fact, quite a few men get to the point of inorgasm. They/we are able to function, but are unable to actually feel what we are doing. It's like someone could shut down all of the nerve "firing' in that area."

I dropped Cymbalta about four weeks ago and have had bone jarring :hearts: orgasms since. My latest issue is just the opposite: Too good too fast, if you catch my drift.

That is all well and good, but I still have OCD and the issues that caused me to go on Cymbalta are coming back.

A little off to the side here, but I think my husband has that problem. He doesnt take any meds. Any suggestions? I never knew that was common. Is there a natural remedy? GS

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#13 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

Lizzy,

Stresses I'm under: I/We have suffered several"life events:" Death of father (68 years) from lung cancer, death of brother-in-law from colon cancer (47) years, loss of a job (15 years) that I dearly loved and financial shortfalls associated with that, sister-in-law HAS operable liver and brain cancer (40), nephew (8 years) tumor on spine (prognosis is fairly good?). All of these things started in the early part of 2004. So, in three years I watched two people close to me suffer and die with two others being considerably ill. The job issue was/is a career killer and that will never go away. I can't jump start my career unless I'm willing to move. (I lost my job because the company closed all research in Michigan.) That would require taking all of my kids out of their schools and asking my wife to quit her job that she loves and has been most successful at for 20 years.

Please, I'm not asking for sympathy. We all have rough spots in life. So, does my OCD cause me issues? You bet, but who wouldn't understand with all of that going on. To be honest, for the sake of brevity I left off some other major issues we are going through.

I'm going to a Psych and talk to him about taking antianxiety meds that don't have the nasty side effects. Your statement about my OCD being worse when I'm anxious sealed the deal for me. I'll bet many OCD people would have less issues if they were less anxious. Perhaps, that is what they should go after rather than the OCD itself.?

Lizzy, sorry this is so long and thanks for your input.

CAR

#14 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:29 AM

CAR,

Those tragedies are a great deal to go through without getting some help. For what it's worth my Pdoc told me that OCD is a form of anxiety disorder, so the fact that you have anxiety is no surprise, especially under the circumstances. Even if you didn't have all the extraneous events, I think it warrants talking to him/her since the OCD is enough to justify getting attention from the doctor.

I understand that you are not asking for sympathy, but I am sorry for your losses, as this must cause a great deal of sadness.

Sincerely,

Maddie

Lizzy,

Stresses I'm under: I/We have suffered several"life events:" Death of father (68 years) from lung cancer, death of brother-in-law from colon cancer (47) years, loss of a job (15 years) that I dearly loved and financial shortfalls associated with that, sister-in-law HAS operable liver and brain cancer (40), nephew (8 years) tumor on spine (prognosis is fairly good?). All of these things started in the early part of 2004. So, in three years I watched two people close to me suffer and die with two others being considerably ill. The job issue was/is a career killer and that will never go away. I can't jump start my career unless I'm willing to move. (I lost my job because the company closed all research in Michigan.) That would require taking all of my kids out of their schools and asking my wife to quit her job that she loves and has been most successful at for 20 years.

Please, I'm not asking for sympathy. We all have rough spots in life. So, does my OCD cause me issues? You bet, but who wouldn't understand with all of that going on. To be honest, for the sake of brevity I left off some other major issues we are going through.

I'm going to a Psych and talk to him about taking antianxiety meds that don't have the nasty side effects. Your statement about my OCD being worse when I'm anxious sealed the deal for me. I'll bet many OCD people would have less issues if they were less anxious. Perhaps, that is what they should go after rather than the OCD itself.?

Lizzy, sorry this is so long and thanks for your input.

CAR

Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 OCDRunner

OCDRunner

• PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:20 PM

MaddieLouise,

Thank you for your consideration and support. Like I said before, this is a great site. I will talk to my doctor about antianxiety meds.

It is best not to get into the "I feel sorry for myself" mode. I don't have to look too far to see someone, very close to me, who has things much harder than I do. Still, it is nice to hear people say they feel for you.

Thanks again,

OCDRunner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users