Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Is It Really Okay To Take Two Antidepressants??

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bunnybear

bunnybear

ID: 15404

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:47 PM

I am taking 300mg of WB and 10mg of Paxil a day, and it has only been a month but I had a heart palpalation today, and my heart was just pounding it was so scary, i thought i was going to have a heart attack! I really think that it might be from these meds, im scared that it is going to happen again, i have another appt. in about a week or two but idk, has anyone ever had that happen?

#2 Burgy

Burgy

Platinum Member

ID: 17342

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,824 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

Hey Bunny,

I have been on Wellbutrin XL 300mg for 4 months and Celexa 20mg for 1 month. The combination is working very well. Many people have success with combining WB (norepinephrine and dopamine) and an SSRI (serotonin). Since the two work on different pathways, they complement each other.

On my first few weeks of Wellbutrin, I experienced periods of stimulation, anxiety, rapid heartbeat, and even high blood pressure, but all of that has faded away. Now I can't even tell I'm on it, it's so smooth. I would give your body some more time to adjust, but definitely tell your doctor about all of your side effects.
Posted Image We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world. ~Buddha

#3 gentle sun

gentle sun

ID: 6842

• Platinum Member
  • 4,779 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:23 AM

I am taking 300mg of WB and 10mg of Paxil a day, and it has only been a month but I had a heart palpalation today, and my heart was just pounding it was so scary, i thought i was going to have a heart attack! I really think that it might be from these meds, im scared that it is going to happen again, i have another appt. in about a week or two but idk, has anyone ever had that happen?

Bunnybear,

If you dont usually get heart palpitations, it probably is the meds. I would call my doctor now and tell him. Could be something is a little too strong for you.

I take Wellb and Paxil and it works well but I do have hbp now and have to take hbp meds. I know its from the Wellb because I usually have low bp.

Once when on just Paxil (after having gone off for awhile) I had skipped heart beats. That was scary. My dumb gp shrugged it off saying some people have that naturally - well I dont. Even her asst. was concerned. Left that gp and went to the psychiatrist. Doing well now on 400 Wellb and 40 Paxil but I take 1/2 to 1 xanex if I feel nervous or anxious. Supposed to take one 3 times a day but it can make me tired.

Good Luck to you!!!!

Gentle Sun

goldenvelope1jr.gifbronzestar.jpg
"What do I need to do right now to take good care of myself?" :flowers:

#4 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

ID: 9557

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:42 AM

Bunnybear:

I agree with Gentle Sun 100%. Definitely contact your doc and tell him/her about the heart palpitations that you've been experiencing. Probably is a SE of WB, but you'll need a doc to ascertain that for sure.

Please let us know what your doc says.

:hearts:

-Bean
Truth. Beauty. Freedom. Love.
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#5 Sheepwoman

Sheepwoman

Administrative Mod/Coordinator

ID: 637

• Admin Team- Mod/Administrator
  • 28,041 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:17 AM

SE's vary from person to person. Tell your pdoc about the papitations and get some feedback. It's possible that the dosages need to be adjusted or your meds need to be changed.

I currently take 2 AD's that are compatible with each other and have had no problems.
Sheepwoman :hearts:
It is not the life I lived; but the life I leave behind. Posted Image
Sheepwoman

God will give you no more than you can handle. This is all a test to see if you are really ready for the good things that are going to come your way. All this pain is going to come back and make me stronger.-Clarence Clemmons 1942-2011

Everything I know, I know because I love. Leo Tolstoy War and Peace

#6 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

ID: 14800

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

I take Wellbutrin and Zoloft -- I haven't had heart palpitations but since going on the Wellbutrin it raised my blood pressure enough to have me go on meds.

It has also caused my pulse to be higher than it was previously (about 85 now versus 55 before).

#7 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:43 PM

I take Wellbutrin and Zoloft -- I haven't had heart palpitations but since going on the Wellbutrin it raised my blood pressure enough to have me go on meds.

It has also caused my pulse to be higher than it was previously (about 85 now versus 55 before).

Rattman:

Sorry to hear that you now have HBP. Does the BP med have it under control?

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#8 rattman

rattman

Advanced Member

ID: 14800

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 04:49 PM

Hey Bean --

It's taken about 5 different BP meds to find the one that finally works without too many side effects. Metoprolol lowered my bloodpressure very well, but gave me nausea and heart palpitations, Lisinopril worked for about 2 months then the BP went back up - increased the dose to 20mg and then I got nauseated on the Lisinopril -- so doctor tried Toprol XL (another version of Meoprolol) and that caused me to have chest pains and a funny feeling in my chest -- lastly he put me on Diovan and it seems to be working well. I haven't had the BP tested in about 2 weeks but I'm not having the physical symptoms of high BP that I was having previously so it must be working. I go back to the DR in about 3 more weeks for a check on it.

The other negative thing of Toprol XL and Metoprolol is that I work out and rollerblade -- and because those 2 lower your heart rate so much, I'd get physically tired a lot easier and my muscles would get strained easier -- so Diovan SO FAR is the best I've tried.

I thought about going off the Wellbutrin, but I'd rather deal with the BP meds because the Wellbutrin/Zoloft combination is the best I've felt in years.

Thanks for checking :hearts:
J

Rattman:

Sorry to hear that you now have HBP. Does the BP med have it under control?

:bump:

-Bean

#9 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:26 PM

I thought about going off the Wellbutrin, but I'd rather deal with the BP meds because the Wellbutrin/Zoloft combination is the best I've felt in years.

Rattman:

I'm so happy to hear that the WB/Zoloft combo is working! :bump: Hope that Diovan is the answer for your high BP.

You mentioned a doc appt in a few weeks. Be sure, please, to let us know how it goes.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#10 bunnybear

bunnybear

ID: 15404

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:08 PM

Hey thank you all very much for the advice! I am seeing a new doctor next week, because I am not happy with my current doctor... I don't feel like taking both of these meds are the right combo for me. I had another heart palpalation too.. well, i will let you know how it goes and who knows what ill be next? :hearts:

#11 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

Bunnybear:

By all means, please do update us after your appt with the new doc.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

#12 tbeav

tbeav

ID: 17717

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

I've been on Lexapro 20mg for almost 2 years, and lately it has seemed to lose a lot of its earlier effectiveness. I met with a new psychiatrist for the first time yesterday, and she is adding Wellbutrin SR to my meds, starting out at 100 mg/day to make sure I don't experience any seizures, and then bumping it up to 200. From what I've researched, taking these two meds together, by itself, is safe, but of course can have serious adverse side effects in some patients. However, I was on WB a few years back and tolerated it well (took myself off - won't do that again), so I'm optimistic about this combo helping me with severe fatigue, body pain and general malaise.

I will report my progress from time to time for the benefit of this forum, and look forward to reading what others might have to report about this or combo.

#13 Beanchop99

Beanchop99

Platinum Member

• Platinum Member
  • 4,247 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:25 PM

tbeav:

I'm glad that you met with a new doc and sought out treatment when you realized that you were slipping. In a situation like that it's best not to wait.

I'm not on Lexapro, but do take WB with other meds (Effexor, Lithium, Risperdal, Halcion and Xanax). When the WB was added to my little cocktail (over 6 years ago) I felt an immediate difference. WB was like a miracle drug for me.

I do have to caution you that WB can cause restlessness and sleepless nights. It's best to take it as early in the morning as possible.

Please keep us posted.

-Bean
Posted Image

Suicide Hotlines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users