• Announcements

• Lindsay

National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016   05/01/2016

Proclamation 9433 of April 28, 2016 National Mental Health Awareness Month, 2016 A Proclamation Nearly 44 million American adults, and millions of children, experience mental health conditions each year, including depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and post-traumatic stress. Although we have made progress expanding mental health coverage and elevating the conversation about mental health, too many people still do not get the help they need. Our Nation is founded on the belief that we must look out for one another—and whether it affects our family members, friends, co-workers, or those unknown to us—we do a service for each other when we reach out and help those struggling with mental health issues. This month, we renew our commitment to ridding our society of the stigma associated with mental illness, encourage those living with mental health conditions to get the help they need, and reaffirm our pledge to ensure those who need help have access to the support, acceptance, and resources they deserve. In the last 7 years, our country has made extraordinary progress in expanding mental health coverage for more people across America. The Affordable Care Act prohibits insurance companies from discriminating against people based on pre-existing conditions, requires coverage of mental health and substance use disorder services in individual and small group markets, and expands mental health and substance use disorder parity policies, which are estimated to help more than 60 million Americans. Nearly 15 million more Americans have gained Medicaid coverage since October 2013, significantly improving access to mental health care. And because of more than $100 million in funding from the Affordable Care Act, community health centers have expanded behavioral health services for nearly 900,000 people nationwide over the past 2 years. Still, far too few Americans experiencing mental illnesses do not receive the care and treatment they need. That is why my most recent Budget proposal includes a new half-billion dollar investment to improve access to mental health care, engage individuals with serious mental illness in care, and help ensure behavioral health care systems work for everyone. Our Nation has made strong advances in improving prevention, increasing early intervention, and expanding treatment of mental illnesses. Earlier this year, I established a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force, which aims to ensure that coverage for mental health benefits is comparable to coverage for medical and surgical care, improve understanding of the requirements of the law, and expand compliance with it. Mental health should be treated as part of a person's overall health, and we must ensure individuals living with mental health conditions can get the treatment they need. My Administration also continues to invest in science and research through the BRAIN initiative to enhance our understanding of the complexities of the human brain and to make it easier to diagnose and treat mental health disorders early. One of our most profound obligations as a Nation is to support the men and women in uniform who return home and continue fighting battles against mental illness. Last year, I signed the Clay Hunt SAV Act, which fills critical gaps in serving veterans with post-traumatic stress and other illnesses, increases peer support and outreach, and recruits more talented individuals to work on mental health issues at the Department of Veterans Affairs. This law will make it easier for veterans to get the care they need when they need it. All Americans, including service members, can get immediate assistance by calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK or by calling 1-800-662-HELP. During National Mental Health Awareness Month, we recognize those Americans who live with mental illness and substance use disorders, and we pledge solidarity with their families who need our support as well. Let us strive to ensure people living with mental health conditions know that they are not alone, that hope exists, and that the possibility of healing and thriving is real. Together, we can help everyone get the support they need to recover as they continue along the journey to get well. NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim May 2016 as National Mental Health Awareness Month. I call upon citizens, government agencies, organizations, health care providers, and research institutions to raise mental health awareness and continue helping Americans live longer, healthier lives. IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-eighth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand sixteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and fortieth.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MaddieLouise

Cymbalta Success Stories

90 posts in this topic

Posted

I'd like to start a thread in which people who have successfully taken Cymbalta can share their stories about how it has helped them. It would be great to know the dosage you take, when you take it and if you take anything else. It would also be helpful to know what you are diagnosed with (Major Depression, Anxiety, Bi-polar, etc.).

We may not get many responses here as I understand most of us are here because we had trouble or a problem we needed to share. I am certain that there are probably many people who have taken this drug successfully that we'll never know about because they would never come to a forum like this (they've never needed to). I think Jackie has made this same point in a previous thread.

I also know there are many nightmare stories and bad experiences. You can find hundreds of these posts, so it would be great to focus on the positive, especially for those of us who are new to this medication.

Thank you,

Maddie

Seekingpeace4me likes this

You might also be interested in:

Posted

Wow! Not very encouraging, is it? ha! I thought of this idea from looking over at the Effexor forum, where they have many success stories (I guess I copied their idea. . .). That doesn't really look good for those of us taking Cymbala, does it? Oh well, maybe a few brave souls will come forward.

I'd like to start a thread in which people who have successfully taken Cymbalta can share their stories about how it has helped them. It would be great to know the dosage you take, when you take it and if you take anything else. It would also be helpful to know what you are diagnosed with (Major Depression, Anxiety, Bi-polar, etc.).

We may not get many responses here as I understand most of us are here because we had trouble or a problem we needed to share. I am certain that there are probably many people who have taken this drug successfully that we'll never know about because they would never come to a forum like this (they've never needed to). I think Jackie has made this same point in a previous thread.

I also know there are many nightmare stories and bad experiences. You can find hundreds of these posts, so it would be great to focus on the positive, especially for those of us who are new to this medication.

Thank you,

Maddie

Posted

Lol, I know what you mean. I don't know why there is not much action on the cymbalta forum. Maybe it is because it is still considered a fairly new med. Or it could be because it works so well, nobody has to come to the forums anymore. They are all out having a good time! Hee Hee!!! I would love to see some success stories too, especially where anxiety disorders are concerned.

Posted (edited)

americandancer,

I like your line about "out having a good time". You mean as in not coming to the boards so often to see what people are saying and having a life (HA!). I have much I can do and many things to do; I just don't want to do them (like clean the kitchen). How's that for motivation?

Still kind of disappointing that no one is willing to tell us anything good. . .Oh well, we can just plod along. .

Lol, I know what you mean. I don't know why there is not much action on the cymbalta forum. Maybe it is because it is still considered a fairly new med. Or it could be because it works so well, nobody has to come to the forums anymore. They are all out having a good time! Hee Hee!!! I would love to see some success stories too, especially where anxiety disorders are concerned.
Edited by MaddieLouise

Posted

I'll start...

Cymbalta has helped me turn a corner. I thought I had my depression under control but physically felt horrible. I never really mentioned this to my pdoc thinking it was just fatigue because I sleep so poorly. When I did, she switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta and it has made all the difference. The achiness and discomfornt in the center of my chest has gone away.

My mind is clearer, I am better organized and more productive in my work.

I take 90 mg/day - 30 in the AM and 60 in the PM. I also take Xanax ER and Provigil. I have been diagnosed with Insomnia, Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Posted

americandancer,

I like your line about "out having a good time". You mean as in not coming to the boards so often to see what people are saying and having a life (HA!). I have much I can do and many things to do; I just don't want to do them (like clean the kitchen). How's that for motivation?

Still kind of disappointing that no one is willing to tell us anything good. . .Oh well, we can just plod along. .

I didn't mean it in a bad way, just that I think people tend to be here more often when they are feeling badly or just starting a new med. Hey, I hear you on the motivation issue. I feel lots better, but have no strong desire to do the cleaning that needs to be done. I always have to force myself. I do feel better once it's done, though, and I look around and everything is nice and clean. That is until about a day later when the dust is back and the family has scattered stuff around, lol.

Yay, shabur! Good for you!!!!

Posted

Thank you for posting Shabur! It's great to hear these kinds of success stories!

I'll start...

Cymbalta has helped me turn a corner. I thought I had my depression under control but physically felt horrible. I never really mentioned this to my pdoc thinking it was just fatigue because I sleep so poorly. When I did, she switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta and it has made all the difference. The achiness and discomfornt in the center of my chest has gone away.

My mind is clearer, I am better organized and more productive in my work.

I take 90 mg/day - 30 in the AM and 60 in the PM. I also take Xanax ER and Provigil. I have been diagnosed with Insomnia, Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Posted

Hi americandancer,

I know you didn't mean it in a bad way. I thought it was funny myself. I just get worried that I dominate the boards too much, especially when I look at all the threads and see my name as the last one posting on so many of them!

I often look through previous posts to see if there is light at the end of this tunnel, and I see you've been through quite a Cymbalta journey! I think it's interesting that you are on 30 mg., as that may be where I stay. Maybe I'll venture up to 40 mg. I did try a split dose of 40 mg. this week and although I felt great, the insomnia was unbearable. I may try two 20 mg. capsules in the am only, although I'm all freaked out about two capsules releasing at once. My Dr. and the pharmacist have both said it's safe. Yeah, but will it induce a bunch of SEs is my concern?

Talk to you soon I hope!

Maddie

americandancer,

Posted

Great thread!

I've actualy been out Ridin' my StreetGlide (motorcycle), i'm having fun again! The only down side so far is the sunburn I got from staying out too long in the sun.

Seekingpeace4me likes this

Posted

Well americandancer, Fried just proved our point! Others are out having fun!! Good for you Fried. Thanks for chiming in!

Great thread!

I've actualy been out Ridin' my StreetGlide (motorcycle), i'm having fun again! The only down side so far is the sunburn I got from staying out too long in the sun.

Posted

Hi MaddieLouise! I've been out of town all week with my family. Unfortunately, there was no internet service. I felt like I was on a deserted island, lol. How are you doing now? I would suggest going ahead and taking the whole 40mg first thing in the am. As early as you can get up and get something in your stomach, anyway. I slept later all this week and was taking my cymbalta much later in the morning, and it really affected me in terms of how I felt and how I slept. I am ready to get back on a schedule and start back taking it at my regular time.

Please don't feel bad about posting. I come here everyday (except this past week) looking for support and guidance. If I hadn't come here and gotten Jkm's support, I would have once again given up on the cymbalta, and then I wouldn't be at the stage I am at now. It is definately a med that has to be taken consistently and for a longer amount of time to tell if it will work or not. I have been feeling so much better lately, whereas before I was shaky and jittery, fatigued and felt just plain awful! I am out of work for the summer, but when I start back up getting my classroom ready next month, I hope to find that it is the med that has worked so well for me, and not just being away from my job. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Whether I am feeling better or not, I still want to be able to come here and talk to others who are experiencing what we are experiencing. You all helped me out on the blood pressure issue, too. I don't know what I would do without everyone here!

Posted

Thank you for the encouragement americandancer. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having insomnia and fatigue from this med. I'm really wanting to just feel good, energetic, ready to face the world-ha! I guess that's pushing it, huh?

Hi MaddieLouise! I've been out of town all week with my family. Unfortunately, there was no internet service. I felt like I was on a deserted island, lol. How are you doing now? I would suggest going ahead and taking the whole 40mg first thing in the am. As early as you can get up and get something in your stomach, anyway. I slept later all this week and was taking my cymbalta much later in the morning, and it really affected me in terms of how I felt and how I slept. I am ready to get back on a schedule and start back taking it at my regular time.

Please don't feel bad about posting. I come here everyday (except this past week) looking for support and guidance. If I hadn't come here and gotten Jkm's support, I would have once again given up on the cymbalta, and then I wouldn't be at the stage I am at now. It is definately a med that has to be taken consistently and for a longer amount of time to tell if it will work or not. I have been feeling so much better lately, whereas before I was shaky and jittery, fatigued and felt just plain awful! I am out of work for the summer, but when I start back up getting my classroom ready next month, I hope to find that it is the med that has worked so well for me, and not just being away from my job. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Whether I am feeling better or not, I still want to be able to come here and talk to others who are experiencing what we are experiencing. You all helped me out on the blood pressure issue, too. I don't know what I would do without everyone here!

Posted

Thank you for the encouragement americandancer. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having insomnia and fatigue from this med. I'm really wanting to just feel good, energetic, ready to face the world-ha! I guess that's pushing it, huh?

Yea, I can relate. I want to feel that way everyday, too! I hope you find the 60mg is the dose you need and then it can have some time to get in your system and start to work better for you.

Posted

Hi. I love Cymbalta but the nausea was....and sometimes is a bit annoying. I tried every SSRI going for my depression and they all ended with being too hyper. This one does not....but the nausea was (and occasionally is) annoying...just breathe and it will pass. My arthritis pain is lowest it has been since 1975! And I am on only 20mg. I have had a few depression breakthroughs so may be going up to 30 mg...have not met with my psychopharmacologist yet.

Posted

Hi everyone, it's been great reading about the success stories. I have suffered depression since childhood and since a teenager have tried most of the groups of anti-depressants. Due to side effects I stopped taking them in my early 20's. So for a couple of decades struggled on my own without help. Then in my 40's started on the SSRI's, Prozac being the first and Effexor the last. After Effexor for 4 years the side-effects became too severe so tried Mirtazapine for 6 months.

Cymalta seems definitely worth a try, but is unavailable in the country where I live, which I don't understand why since it does have a registration number here. Eli Lily could not tell me why it is not released either. I am hoping it will become available one day.

Posted

That's wonderful that Cymbalta has helped you so much with your Arthritis, especially on such a low dosage! Good luck if you move up to a higher dosage.

Hi. I love Cymbalta but the nausea was....and sometimes is a bit annoying. I tried every SSRI going for my depression and they all ended with being too hyper. This one does not....but the nausea was (and occasionally is) annoying...just breathe and it will pass. My arthritis pain is lowest it has been since 1975! And I am on only 20mg. I have had a few depression breakthroughs so may be going up to 30 mg...have not met with my psychopharmacologist yet.

Posted

Wow, it's amazing that you put up with side effects for four years! You're braver and more patient than I am.

I'm sorry that Cymbalta is not yet available where you live. Have you asked your doc. about it? Just wondering if he/she has heard anything about when it might become available. Any other SSRI's or SNRI's available that you haven't tried. I hear that many people have good luck with Wellbutrin.

Hi everyone, it's been great reading about the success stories. I have suffered depression since childhood and since a teenager have tried most of the groups of anti-depressants. Due to side effects I stopped taking them in my early 20's. So for a couple of decades struggled on my own without help. Then in my 40's started on the SSRI's, Prozac being the first and Effexor the last. After Effexor for 4 years the side-effects became too severe so tried Mirtazapine for 6 months.

Cymalta seems definitely worth a try, but is unavailable in the country where I live, which I don't understand why since it does have a registration number here. Eli Lily could not tell me why it is not released either. I am hoping it will become available one day.

Posted

Hi Mackerel! I'm glad your arthritis pain is better! I agree the nausea can be annoying, but it does get better with time. I mainly have it now only if I don't eat enough when I take it.

Turtledove, I had heard cymbalta is not approved everywhere. I would think that maybe they are in the process of getting it approved elsewhere, but I don't know. I can't believe you hung in there with effexor that long. I would definately ask your doctor if he could get it for you, or when it will be approved. I'm curious to know as to why it hasn't gotten approval.

Posted

Let

leezie likes this

Posted

:hearts: Good for you, smithar!!!!

Posted

Just back from Ireland which I was able to really enjoy thanks to Cymbalta! After years (like 10-12) of Pamelor (anyone old enough to remember that one?!) and feeling the dragged get-through-the-day feeling, starting Cymbalta 3 years ago was like someone flipped a switch. I am at 60mg/day for MDD but have to have a pain killer property as well so very few regular meds work. This does it. No pain at all and plenty of energy. (Of course there is an annoying downside which I fuss about under "Sexual Side Effect" thread, but this is the success story place.) For me Cymbalta has been a great breakthrough. And I need to remember to stop by here and be encouraging since I feel good!

Blessings to you all - Robin

Posted

Thank you Robin! Being a new Cymbalta taker I love to hear the success stories. It gives me encouragement to keep taking it. So far, it's worked well for me too (once I worked through the SEs).

How great that you were able to take your trip to Ireland! I'm just now feeling like I want to travel again, something I love to do, but had lost interest in when my anxiety kicked up.

Just back from Ireland which I was able to really enjoy thanks to Cymbalta! After years (like 10-12) of Pamelor (anyone old enough to remember that one?!) and feeling the dragged get-through-the-day feeling, starting Cymbalta 3 years ago was like someone flipped a switch. I am at 60mg/day for MDD but have to have a pain killer property as well so very few regular meds work. This does it. No pain at all and plenty of energy. (Of course there is an annoying downside which I fuss about under "Sexual Side Effect" thread, but this is the success story place.) For me Cymbalta has been a great breakthrough. And I need to remember to stop by here and be encouraging since I feel good!

Blessings to you all - Robin

Posted (edited)

I came across a video on youtube a few weeks ago while I was researching Depersonalisation - an ever present symptom of my own depression - with a guy stating it worked wonders on his ability to focus. Do a youtube search for wallace758 (the uploader) or else 'cymbalta' 'depression' and 'depersonalisation'. The general consensus seems to be that unlike other anti-depressants, it doesn't leave you with that apathetic jet-lagged sensation which is exactly the reason I discontinued medication in 2006. I'm hoping to begin this medication in the next fortnight and I'll update on my progress.

Edited by TheMelodyOfRain

Posted

I came across a video on youtube a few weeks ago while I was researching Depersonalisation - an ever present symptom of my own depression - with a guy stating it worked wonders on his ability to focus. Do a youtube search for wallace758 (the uploader) or else 'cymbalta' 'depression' and 'depersonalisation'. The general consensus seems to be that unlike other anti-depressants, it doesn't leave you with that apathetic jet-lagged sensation which is exactly the reason I discontinued medication in 2006. I'm hoping to begin this medication in the next fortnight and I'll update on my progress.

Well, all I have to do is look back at that post in August of 2007 and realize I've come a long way in a year, and I attribute it to Cymbalta. I feel great and have been very productive and happy. You might have some side-effects when you start, but try to push through, as I'm sure you'll feel better and be happy you did. Do update us!

Posted

I thought the date on that post was 2008...apologies. No idea how that happened.

How long did it take before you noticed the benefits?