Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta Success Stories

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

ID: 17288

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:18 AM

I'd like to start a thread in which people who have successfully taken Cymbalta can share their stories about how it has helped them. It would be great to know the dosage you take, when you take it and if you take anything else. It would also be helpful to know what you are diagnosed with (Major Depression, Anxiety, Bi-polar, etc.).

We may not get many responses here as I understand most of us are here because we had trouble or a problem we needed to share. I am certain that there are probably many people who have taken this drug successfully that we'll never know about because they would never come to a forum like this (they've never needed to). I think Jackie has made this same point in a previous thread.

I also know there are many nightmare stories and bad experiences. You can find hundreds of these posts, so it would be great to focus on the positive, especially for those of us who are new to this medication.

Thank you,

Maddie
  • Seekingpeace4me likes this
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 09:32 AM

Wow! Not very encouraging, is it? ha! I thought of this idea from looking over at the Effexor forum, where they have many success stories (I guess I copied their idea. . .). That doesn't really look good for those of us taking Cymbala, does it? Oh well, maybe a few brave souls will come forward.

I'd like to start a thread in which people who have successfully taken Cymbalta can share their stories about how it has helped them. It would be great to know the dosage you take, when you take it and if you take anything else. It would also be helpful to know what you are diagnosed with (Major Depression, Anxiety, Bi-polar, etc.).

We may not get many responses here as I understand most of us are here because we had trouble or a problem we needed to share. I am certain that there are probably many people who have taken this drug successfully that we'll never know about because they would never come to a forum like this (they've never needed to). I think Jackie has made this same point in a previous thread.

I also know there are many nightmare stories and bad experiences. You can find hundreds of these posts, so it would be great to focus on the positive, especially for those of us who are new to this medication.

Thank you,

Maddie

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

ID: 8499

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:43 PM

Lol, I know what you mean. I don't know why there is not much action on the cymbalta forum. Maybe it is because it is still considered a fairly new med. Or it could be because it works so well, nobody has to come to the forums anymore. They are all out having a good time! Hee Hee!!! I would love to see some success stories too, especially where anxiety disorders are concerned.

#4 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:40 PM

americandancer,

I like your line about "out having a good time". You mean as in not coming to the boards so often to see what people are saying and having a life (HA!). I have much I can do and many things to do; I just don't want to do them (like clean the kitchen). How's that for motivation?

Still kind of disappointing that no one is willing to tell us anything good. . .Oh well, we can just plod along. .

Lol, I know what you mean. I don't know why there is not much action on the cymbalta forum. Maybe it is because it is still considered a fairly new med. Or it could be because it works so well, nobody has to come to the forums anymore. They are all out having a good time! Hee Hee!!! I would love to see some success stories too, especially where anxiety disorders are concerned.

Edited by MaddieLouise, 20 July 2007 - 01:41 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 shabur

shabur

ID: 7914

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

I'll start...
Cymbalta has helped me turn a corner. I thought I had my depression under control but physically felt horrible. I never really mentioned this to my pdoc thinking it was just fatigue because I sleep so poorly. When I did, she switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta and it has made all the difference. The achiness and discomfornt in the center of my chest has gone away.
My mind is clearer, I am better organized and more productive in my work.
I take 90 mg/day - 30 in the AM and 60 in the PM. I also take Xanax ER and Provigil. I have been diagnosed with Insomnia, Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Posted Image
Courage doesn't always roar; sometimes its the voice at the end of the day that says "I'll try again tomorrow".

#6 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:03 PM

[quote name='MaddieLouise' date='Jul 20 2007, 02:40 PM' post='258486']
americandancer,

I like your line about "out having a good time". You mean as in not coming to the boards so often to see what people are saying and having a life (HA!). I have much I can do and many things to do; I just don't want to do them (like clean the kitchen). How's that for motivation?

Still kind of disappointing that no one is willing to tell us anything good. . .Oh well, we can just plod along. .

I didn't mean it in a bad way, just that I think people tend to be here more often when they are feeling badly or just starting a new med. Hey, I hear you on the motivation issue. I feel lots better, but have no strong desire to do the cleaning that needs to be done. I always have to force myself. I do feel better once it's done, though, and I look around and everything is nice and clean. That is until about a day later when the dust is back and the family has scattered stuff around, lol.

Yay, shabur! Good for you!!!!

#7 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 09:07 AM

Thank you for posting Shabur! It's great to hear these kinds of success stories!

I'll start...
Cymbalta has helped me turn a corner. I thought I had my depression under control but physically felt horrible. I never really mentioned this to my pdoc thinking it was just fatigue because I sleep so poorly. When I did, she switched me from Lexapro to Cymbalta and it has made all the difference. The achiness and discomfornt in the center of my chest has gone away.
My mind is clearer, I am better organized and more productive in my work.
I take 90 mg/day - 30 in the AM and 60 in the PM. I also take Xanax ER and Provigil. I have been diagnosed with Insomnia, Major Depression, Anxiety Disorder and Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Hi americandancer,

I know you didn't mean it in a bad way. I thought it was funny myself. I just get worried that I dominate the boards too much, especially when I look at all the threads and see my name as the last one posting on so many of them!

I often look through previous posts to see if there is light at the end of this tunnel, and I see you've been through quite a Cymbalta journey! I think it's interesting that you are on 30 mg., as that may be where I stay. Maybe I'll venture up to 40 mg. I did try a split dose of 40 mg. this week and although I felt great, the insomnia was unbearable. I may try two 20 mg. capsules in the am only, although I'm all freaked out about two capsules releasing at once. My Dr. and the pharmacist have both said it's safe. Yeah, but will it induce a bunch of SEs is my concern?

Talk to you soon I hope!

Maddie

americandancer,

Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 Fried

Fried

ID: 17008

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

Great thread!

I've actualy been out Ridin' my StreetGlide (motorcycle), i'm having fun again! The only down side so far is the sunburn I got from staying out too long in the sun.
  • Seekingpeace4me likes this

#10 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 05:06 PM

Well americandancer, Fried just proved our point! Others are out having fun!! Good for you Fried. Thanks for chiming in!

Great thread!

I've actualy been out Ridin' my StreetGlide (motorcycle), i'm having fun again! The only down side so far is the sunburn I got from staying out too long in the sun.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 12:52 PM

Hi MaddieLouise! I've been out of town all week with my family. Unfortunately, there was no internet service. I felt like I was on a deserted island, lol. How are you doing now? I would suggest going ahead and taking the whole 40mg first thing in the am. As early as you can get up and get something in your stomach, anyway. I slept later all this week and was taking my cymbalta much later in the morning, and it really affected me in terms of how I felt and how I slept. I am ready to get back on a schedule and start back taking it at my regular time.

Please don't feel bad about posting. I come here everyday (except this past week) looking for support and guidance. If I hadn't come here and gotten Jkm's support, I would have once again given up on the cymbalta, and then I wouldn't be at the stage I am at now. It is definately a med that has to be taken consistently and for a longer amount of time to tell if it will work or not. I have been feeling so much better lately, whereas before I was shaky and jittery, fatigued and felt just plain awful! I am out of work for the summer, but when I start back up getting my classroom ready next month, I hope to find that it is the med that has worked so well for me, and not just being away from my job. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Whether I am feeling better or not, I still want to be able to come here and talk to others who are experiencing what we are experiencing. You all helped me out on the blood pressure issue, too. I don't know what I would do without everyone here!

#12 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 04:56 PM

Thank you for the encouragement americandancer. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having insomnia and fatigue from this med. I'm really wanting to just feel good, energetic, ready to face the world-ha! I guess that's pushing it, huh?

Hi MaddieLouise! I've been out of town all week with my family. Unfortunately, there was no internet service. I felt like I was on a deserted island, lol. How are you doing now? I would suggest going ahead and taking the whole 40mg first thing in the am. As early as you can get up and get something in your stomach, anyway. I slept later all this week and was taking my cymbalta much later in the morning, and it really affected me in terms of how I felt and how I slept. I am ready to get back on a schedule and start back taking it at my regular time.

Please don't feel bad about posting. I come here everyday (except this past week) looking for support and guidance. If I hadn't come here and gotten Jkm's support, I would have once again given up on the cymbalta, and then I wouldn't be at the stage I am at now. It is definately a med that has to be taken consistently and for a longer amount of time to tell if it will work or not. I have been feeling so much better lately, whereas before I was shaky and jittery, fatigued and felt just plain awful! I am out of work for the summer, but when I start back up getting my classroom ready next month, I hope to find that it is the med that has worked so well for me, and not just being away from my job. I am keeping my fingers crossed! Whether I am feeling better or not, I still want to be able to come here and talk to others who are experiencing what we are experiencing. You all helped me out on the blood pressure issue, too. I don't know what I would do without everyone here!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 07:45 PM

[quote name='MaddieLouise' date='Jul 28 2007, 05:56 PM' post='261331']
Thank you for the encouragement americandancer. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having insomnia and fatigue from this med. I'm really wanting to just feel good, energetic, ready to face the world-ha! I guess that's pushing it, huh?

Yea, I can relate. I want to feel that way everyday, too! I hope you find the 60mg is the dose you need and then it can have some time to get in your system and start to work better for you.

#14 Mackerel

Mackerel

Just Registered

ID: 17897

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

Hi. I love Cymbalta but the nausea was....and sometimes is a bit annoying. I tried every SSRI going for my depression and they all ended with being too hyper. This one does not....but the nausea was (and occasionally is) annoying...just breathe and it will pass. My arthritis pain is lowest it has been since 1975! And I am on only 20mg. I have had a few depression breakthroughs so may be going up to 30 mg...have not met with my psychopharmacologist yet.

#15 Turtledove

Turtledove

ID: 17898

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Hi everyone, it's been great reading about the success stories. I have suffered depression since childhood and since a teenager have tried most of the groups of anti-depressants. Due to side effects I stopped taking them in my early 20's. So for a couple of decades struggled on my own without help. Then in my 40's started on the SSRI's, Prozac being the first and Effexor the last. After Effexor for 4 years the side-effects became too severe so tried Mirtazapine for 6 months.

Cymalta seems definitely worth a try, but is unavailable in the country where I live, which I don't understand why since it does have a registration number here. Eli Lily could not tell me why it is not released either. I am hoping it will become available one day.

#16 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:27 AM

That's wonderful that Cymbalta has helped you so much with your Arthritis, especially on such a low dosage! Good luck if you move up to a higher dosage.

Hi. I love Cymbalta but the nausea was....and sometimes is a bit annoying. I tried every SSRI going for my depression and they all ended with being too hyper. This one does not....but the nausea was (and occasionally is) annoying...just breathe and it will pass. My arthritis pain is lowest it has been since 1975! And I am on only 20mg. I have had a few depression breakthroughs so may be going up to 30 mg...have not met with my psychopharmacologist yet.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:30 AM

Wow, it's amazing that you put up with side effects for four years! You're braver and more patient than I am.

I'm sorry that Cymbalta is not yet available where you live. Have you asked your doc. about it? Just wondering if he/she has heard anything about when it might become available. Any other SSRI's or SNRI's available that you haven't tried. I hear that many people have good luck with Wellbutrin.

Hi everyone, it's been great reading about the success stories. I have suffered depression since childhood and since a teenager have tried most of the groups of anti-depressants. Due to side effects I stopped taking them in my early 20's. So for a couple of decades struggled on my own without help. Then in my 40's started on the SSRI's, Prozac being the first and Effexor the last. After Effexor for 4 years the side-effects became too severe so tried Mirtazapine for 6 months.

Cymalta seems definitely worth a try, but is unavailable in the country where I live, which I don't understand why since it does have a registration number here. Eli Lily could not tell me why it is not released either. I am hoping it will become available one day.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 09:51 AM

Hi Mackerel! I'm glad your arthritis pain is better! I agree the nausea can be annoying, but it does get better with time. I mainly have it now only if I don't eat enough when I take it.

Turtledove, I had heard cymbalta is not approved everywhere. I would think that maybe they are in the process of getting it approved elsewhere, but I don't know. I can't believe you hung in there with effexor that long. I would definately ask your doctor if he could get it for you, or when it will be approved. I'm curious to know as to why it hasn't gotten approval.

#19 smithar

smithar

ID: 13366

• PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:02 PM

Let’s see. I will definitely agree that those who are doing so well, no longer lurk daily on the depression forums. Myself included. I come here to vent, get out my anger to those who understand, and search for those who have the same problems i do, and see what they do about it...
With that said, i decided to check in today, and saw the forum for success stories. Well, Here I am. I had all of the start up symptoms that i have seen MANY post on. I had restless legs for a while, insomnia, jet lag feeling, ups & downs and in betweens. I have been on it since ..um.. January I think. 8 months. It has taken 8 months to feel so good on this stuff. I have the right mix (my dosage was upped again not too long ago, Hello start up side effects and insomnia all over again).
My life is great! I am enjoying being a newlywed. I finally see the sunshine in my life. A great husband, healthy horses. I have my ups and downs, but i look back on a diary i had wrote almost a year ago. I think i was almost suicidal then. I truly didn’t realize how "bad off" I was! Cymbalta has worked for me. I have no interest of getting off of it. As long as it works, why not take it? I guess the one thing I have learned in taking medicine, is when they say it takes a long time to figure out if it works for you, it is a LONG TIME. I hope everyone has the success and happiness i have found in life and with the aid of Cymbalta. No longer do i lurk on here, but i search other forums. Forums of my interest of horseback riding and belly dancing!! I might not be on here, but feel free to leave me a message and I will get back to you. Good luck to you all !!!!!!!
  • leezie likes this

#20 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 02 August 2007 - 04:26 PM

:hearts: Good for you, smithar!!!!

#21 rc2147

rc2147

ID: 17545

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

Just back from Ireland which I was able to really enjoy thanks to Cymbalta! After years (like 10-12) of Pamelor (anyone old enough to remember that one?!) and feeling the dragged get-through-the-day feeling, starting Cymbalta 3 years ago was like someone flipped a switch. I am at 60mg/day for MDD but have to have a pain killer property as well so very few regular meds work. This does it. No pain at all and plenty of energy. (Of course there is an annoying downside which I fuss about under "Sexual Side Effect" thread, but this is the success story place.) For me Cymbalta has been a great breakthrough. And I need to remember to stop by here and be encouraging since I feel good!

Blessings to you all - Robin

#22 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:28 AM

Thank you Robin! Being a new Cymbalta taker I love to hear the success stories. It gives me encouragement to keep taking it. So far, it's worked well for me too (once I worked through the SEs).

How great that you were able to take your trip to Ireland! I'm just now feeling like I want to travel again, something I love to do, but had lost interest in when my anxiety kicked up.

Just back from Ireland which I was able to really enjoy thanks to Cymbalta! After years (like 10-12) of Pamelor (anyone old enough to remember that one?!) and feeling the dragged get-through-the-day feeling, starting Cymbalta 3 years ago was like someone flipped a switch. I am at 60mg/day for MDD but have to have a pain killer property as well so very few regular meds work. This does it. No pain at all and plenty of energy. (Of course there is an annoying downside which I fuss about under "Sexual Side Effect" thread, but this is the success story place.) For me Cymbalta has been a great breakthrough. And I need to remember to stop by here and be encouraging since I feel good!

Blessings to you all - Robin

Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 TheMelodyOfRain

TheMelodyOfRain

ID: 27922

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:12 PM

I came across a video on youtube a few weeks ago while I was researching Depersonalisation - an ever present symptom of my own depression - with a guy stating it worked wonders on his ability to focus. Do a youtube search for wallace758 (the uploader) or else 'cymbalta' 'depression' and 'depersonalisation'. The general consensus seems to be that unlike other anti-depressants, it doesn't leave you with that apathetic jet-lagged sensation which is exactly the reason I discontinued medication in 2006. I'm hoping to begin this medication in the next fortnight and I'll update on my progress.

Edited by TheMelodyOfRain, 22 September 2008 - 06:40 PM.

Bad love of ones self makes solitude a prison for you.

#24 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

I came across a video on youtube a few weeks ago while I was researching Depersonalisation - an ever present symptom of my own depression - with a guy stating it worked wonders on his ability to focus. Do a youtube search for wallace758 (the uploader) or else 'cymbalta' 'depression' and 'depersonalisation'. The general consensus seems to be that unlike other anti-depressants, it doesn't leave you with that apathetic jet-lagged sensation which is exactly the reason I discontinued medication in 2006. I'm hoping to begin this medication in the next fortnight and I'll update on my progress.

Well, all I have to do is look back at that post in August of 2007 and realize I've come a long way in a year, and I attribute it to Cymbalta. I feel great and have been very productive and happy. You might have some side-effects when you start, but try to push through, as I'm sure you'll feel better and be happy you did. Do update us!
Posted ImagePosted Image

#25 TheMelodyOfRain

TheMelodyOfRain

ID: 27922

• PipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:26 PM

I thought the date on that post was 2008...apologies. No idea how that happened.
How long did it take before you noticed the benefits?
Bad love of ones self makes solitude a prison for you.

#26 jocelain

jocelain

ID: 27468

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 11:26 AM

Great topic, focussing on the positive :hearts: ! It's so true that we tend to be critical most of the time. I think it's not just human nature, but most typical of many of us with depression. We see the cup half empty. I joined a wonderful blog site/web forum earlier in the summer called "zenhabits.net". It has helped me immensely to focus on small and simple things that will help me improve my life. Medication is one aspect of coping with depression.

I am a bonafide manic (bipolar) depressive. There are many problems coping with this disease in society, and many benefits. Most of us have been blessed with outstanding creative gifts and intelligence. We are unusually sensitive and intuitive. Thus we see the world for the disaster that it is on a global scale. How can you deny the truth?

On the other hand, if you alter your perspective, and look for the good, you will be duly gratified. It's not easy! And our lot is not. Now here for a radical idea: Let's join forces and stop comparing ourselves to the rest of the world, thus determining that we are "falling short, dis-eased, misfits"! Imagine a new world of ultra-sensitive, smart beings who see a better way! Re-read John Wyndham's "The Chrysalids". "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Maybe there really is a necessary paradigm shift in this planetary evolution to the "Age of Aquarius"!

Sooooo...... just as you now ask yourselves, "what is she ON?!" :flowers: , I'll justify my posting here, and let you know that I am now well into my second month of Cymbalta, coming slowly down from 262.5mg of Effexor (now at 107.5), on 60mg Cymbalta - in the morning with my Effexor. At night I take .5mg clonazapam to sleep, and .75mg of mirapex for restless legs. I was seriously contemplating giving up on Cymbalta about a month ago, as I noticed no difference in my mood. Then I realized that I was actually coping quite well with a rather complicated life. I so appreciate one of your original postings here that claims Cymbalta takes months to positively take effect. I'm going to give it the opportunity to "do its thing", as so many of my previous drug trials were short-lived, and who knows what other circumstances may have played into their short-term sentence. The thing that really appeals to me about Cymbalta, is it's pain-relieving qualities. I haven't experienced those yet, and have pretty painful arthritic joints, so I'm hopeful that that aspect will kick in soon.

The other thing that keeps me optimistic about this drug, is that normally at this time of year I am feeling seasonal affective disorder blues quite strongly. Living in Canada, that starts early. I grew up quite a bit futher north from Toronto (about 500 miles); it's no wonder I had a miserable childhood! Anyway, I'm leaning towards wandering off-topic again, but thought I'd add my thoughts to the discussion. Maybe we could start a whole new general thread on the Positive Effects of (what society calls) Mental Illness.

#27 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

ID: 28313

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

Wish me luck! I see my psy. doc today and tomorrow marks 4 weeks on Cymbalta. I hope I'm not premature in posting on this thread but I've been feeling like a success story this past week. I might even have to change my avatar.

Cymbalta is not the first drug that has helped me, but it is the first drug that feels like it has "fixed" my depression, rather than feeling like it is masking it or treating the symptoms. I feel both happy, and myself rather than happy and anxious/tense like Wellbutrin or not unhappy/not happy like Zoloft.

I'm nervous because my hopes are rising. I've never feel so keyed up about a doctor's visit.

Edited by Maedhros, 25 September 2008 - 10:03 AM.

We are all failures -- at least, all the best of us are. -- Sir James M. Barrie

#28 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

Wish me luck! I might even have to change my avatar.

I'm nervous because my hopes are rising. I've never feel so keyed up about a doctor's visit.

You sound wonderfully positive. How you are feeling is the reality; the doctor's response will definitely reflect that. Are you on anything else right now? And, oh yeah, Good Luck!

P.S. I love the style of your avatar, I can hardly wait to see the new one!

Edited by jocelain, 25 September 2008 - 10:41 AM.

#29 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 07:15 AM

Four weeks now and feeling great! My visit with the doc went well and I'm going to stick with 60mg for now. I think I'll wait 2 more weeks then unreservedly declare myself a success (crosses fingers). I have a slight fear that I'm mildly bipolar and a mild fear that I will become hypomanic over time on Cymbalta. I want to confirm that that is not the case before I shout "SUCCESS!"

Once I've burned that bridge and established I'm stable, I will (after a big yahoo! :hearts: and avatar change) start weaning myself off Zoplicone (the only other med I'm on, since you asked Jocelain). It's not really that effective for me now, and I'm sleeping well with Cymbalta, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Edited by Maedhros, 26 September 2008 - 07:21 AM.

#30 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:52 AM

I have a slight fear that I'm mildly bipolar and a mild fear that I will become hypomanic over time on Cymbalta.

Awesome! I'm so happy for you. Regarding your fear of "bipolar", my feeling is that it is one of those words, like cancer, alzheimers (vs dementia), etc., that creates yet more fear and stress. The first time I read "bipolar" at the bottom of my chart, and "alzheimer's" at the bottom of my Mom's chart, I experienced this big rush of terror. Reality is, you are what you are, and I honestly think the medical world loves to put a tag on that gives them a handle on something they really don't know everything about. I don't mean that in an entirely negative way: I'd probably not still be around if my doctor hadn't started me on medication.

The anxiety that we can control is one of the causes of so much mental illness in our society. Words carry a strong vibration that can unnerve us. Trust yourself and be strong. Google new paradigm journal dot com May 2007 for a different way of looking at things!

#31 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:02 AM

I have a slight fear that I'm mildly bipolar and a mild fear that I will become hypomanic over time on Cymbalta.

Awesome! I'm so happy for you. Not about your fear (above), but about the success of your dr's app't! Regarding your fear of "bipolar", my feeling is that it is one of those words, like cancer, alzheimers (vs dementia), etc., that creates yet more fear and stress. The first time I read "bipolar" at the bottom of my chart, and "alzheimer's" at the bottom of my Mom's chart, I experienced this big rush of terror. Reality is, you are what you are, and I honestly think the medical world loves to put a tag on that gives them a handle on something they really don't know everything about. I don't mean that in an entirely negative way: I'd probably not still be around if my doctor hadn't started me on medication.

The anxiety that we can control is one of the causes of so much mental illness in our society. Words carry a strong vibration that can unnerve us. Trust yourself and be strong. Google new paradigm journal dot com May 2007 for a different way of looking at things!

#32 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 08:30 AM

5 weeks in. 1 more week then I'll think about calling myself a success. (fingers still crossed)

I had a tickle fight with my daughter last night and was just so happy with her glee and felt so light-hearted. It's been a long time since I took such pleasure in the simple things.

#33 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 12:13 PM

I had a tickle fight with my daughter last night and was just so happy with her glee and felt so light-hearted. It's been a long time since I took such pleasure in the simple things.

Great to hear from you. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow, and am wondering what will transpire. Unbeknownst to her, I've further reduced my effexor to 75 plus 37.5 (112.5?) since I saw her last. Havent' increased the cymbalta; just want to see where she thinks we should go from here.

I had a terrible morning, cried when my Mom called (she's 85, and in a nursing home), then wiped out on the floor as I ran to see what the dogs were barking at! That unleashed the torrent of tears, but no real harm done. So maybe having a good cry isn't a bad thing!? I know that on Effexor my emotions seemed somewhat hardened, so that may be a difference.

My longterm desire would be to find a medication that I could take in minimal amounts that adjusts the wiring in my brain! I'm so dependent on the company I work for for their drug benefits, and would like to feel free of that, even if I do stay working there! Cymbalta is expensive in Canada!

How lovely that you felt that progress in your emotional well-being. :hearts:

#34 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

Great to hear from you. I see my psychiatrist tomorrow, and am wondering what will transpire. Unbeknownst to her, I've further reduced my effexor to 75 plus 37.5 (112.5?) since I saw her last. Havent' increased the cymbalta; just want to see where she thinks we should go from here.

I had a terrible morning, cried when my Mom called (she's 85, and in a nursing home), then wiped out on the floor as I ran to see what the dogs were barking at! That unleashed the torrent of tears, but no real harm done. So maybe having a good cry isn't a bad thing!? I know that on Effexor my emotions seemed somewhat hardened, so that may be a difference.

My longterm desire would be to find a medication that I could take in minimal amounts that adjusts the wiring in my brain! I'm so dependent on the company I work for for their drug benefits, and would like to feel free of that, even if I do stay working there! Cymbalta is expensive in Canada!

How lovely that you felt that progress in your emotional well-being. :hearts:

Somebody else here said they felt harder on Effexor. I know I felt harder/deader on Zoloft, which when you are a supply teacher (and a very sensitive person like me), isn't such a bad thing, but I'm glad to feel again.

I tried Effexor briefly, years ago. it made me feel crazy. At that point in my life, however, I was less willing to have patience with the SEs so who knows how it would have served me in the long term.

Cymbalta IS expensive here (I'm a London Ont. boy transplanted to Windsor). I pay up front and have to apply for reimbursement. Ouch! Think of it this way: generics are coming in 6 years. You only need to hold on to that long until you are less dependent on your company.

Tell me how things go with your Psych. tomorrow. I hope you have a better day. What dose of Cymbalta are you on?

#35 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:19 PM

Somebody else here said they felt harder on Effexor. I know I felt harder/deader on Zoloft, which when you are a supply teacher (and a very sensitive person like me), isn't such a bad thing, but I'm glad to feel again.

I tried Effexor briefly, years ago. it made me feel crazy. At that point in my life, however, I was less willing to have patience with the SEs so who knows how it would have served me in the long term.

Cymbalta IS expensive here (I'm a London Ont. boy transplanted to Windsor). I pay up front and have to apply for reimbursement. Ouch! Think of it this way: generics are coming in 6 years. You only need to hold on to that long until you are less dependent on your company.

Tell me how things go with your Psych. tomorrow. I hope you have a better day. What dose of Cymbalta are you on?

Interesting comment about effexor. I've weaned myself from 262.5 to 112.5 in last 2 months. At 150 mg effexor, doc increased Cymbalta from 30mg to 60. Only been about 2 and a half months on Cymbalta. Initially Effexor had a dramatically positive effect on me (about 12 years ago) other than lowered libido. I tried other anti-depressants to help with that, and none were effective. Back on Effexor (poor hubby), and only just noticed in the last couple of years that it's effect has lessened. Also developed osteoarthritis and macular degeneration, neither of which ran in my family, and I'm only in my 50's. Actually both of my parents are in their late 80's and live in London.

I sometimes wonder if long term med effects our body's ability to fight stresses, thus resulting in "another dis-ease". In the meantime, I can live with Cymbalta I think. Thanks for the well-wishes about my day improving! It has already...6 years, eh? hmmmmm.....

Edited by jocelain, 01 October 2008 - 02:21 PM.

#36 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 08:20 AM

• Tell me how things go with your Psych. tomorrow. I hope you have a better day. What dose of Cymbalta are you on?

Saw my shrink yesterday, and she feels I should go back up to Effexor 150 for a while, stay at 60mg Cymbalta. Bless her heart, she gave me some samples of Cymbalta! I've maxed out (my plan) for the year, and will only get partial coverage next year as I worked reduced hours this year.

It seems that the main thing cymbalta is good for is anxiety. And we really can't seperate depression and anxiety I think. So I'm going to go with this for now, with an eye to the future to reducing effexor, so that I'm on Cymbalta only. My doctor sees that I'm in need of nourishing myself after a very hectic year with elderly parents. I must say that for me drugs are a partial treatment. The fact that the other part that helps me considerably is talking with my psychiatrist (psychotherapy) supports my hope (and theory) that this is not completely a chemically imbalanced "medical" problem. Whatever will I do when she retires? :hearts:

#37 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

• Tell me how things go with your Psych. tomorrow. I hope you have a better day. What dose of Cymbalta are you on?

Saw my shrink yesterday, and she feels I should go back up to Effexor 150 for a while, stay at 60mg Cymbalta. Bless her heart, she gave me some samples of Cymbalta! I've maxed out (my plan) for the year, and will only get partial coverage next year as I worked reduced hours this year.

It seems that the main thing cymbalta is good for is anxiety. And we really can't seperate depression and anxiety I think. So I'm going to go with this for now, with an eye to the future to reducing effexor, so that I'm on Cymbalta only. My doctor sees that I'm in need of nourishing myself after a very hectic year with elderly parents. I must say that for me drugs are a partial treatment. The fact that the other part that helps me considerably is talking with my psychiatrist (psychotherapy) supports my hope (and theory) that this is not completely a chemically imbalanced "medical" problem. Whatever will I do when she retires? :hearts:

I agree with what you say about depression and anxiety. I've often said that depression is just anger/anxiety without the energy. Or anger/anxiety that can't get out of bed in the morning. :hearts:

I found Cymbalta was very good with anxiety at first ... but the anti-d effects have kicked in for me. I hope they will for you too. How long have you been taking it?

Sounds like a really hectic time for you. I know I've sometimes felt like Cymbalta is picking me up off the floor after a crazy couple of years. I've found adapting to parenthood really challenging. After surviving Lily being 1 (nothing in my experience is harder than taking care of another person, as I'm sure you can relate), I then had a year when I was finishing my PhD and my BEd SIMULTANEOUSLY, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer (she's fine), and my daughter Lily entered the terrible twos. That was a CRAZY year. Then it was moving to Windsor and into teaching and, let me tell you, being a supply teacher is stressful. After I was getting used to having kids give me the finger etc, I received two long term positions teaching French and Music at two different schools. I don't speak French, I don't know nothing about Music. :hearts:

How stupid is it that your plan runs out. :hearts: Bean counters, feh!

My wife is taking effexor ... started the same time as I did Cymbalta. So any tips on wooing Effexor babes are welcome. :flowers: Seriously, though. It's been tough.

#38 jocelain

jocelain

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

I found Cymbalta was very good with anxiety at first ... but the anti-d effects have kicked in for me. I hope they will for you too. How long have you been taking it?

Probably going on about 3 months now. How long for you before the antidepression effects kicked in? I look forward to that! Although I must say I'm feeling a little better the last couple of day, having upped my effexor back to 150mg. There are so many factors at play, as you state so clearly. Stress definitely triggers depression; for me, also the change of seasons. Exhaustion. Nothing better than a good sleep, which those of us with depression often struggle to get.

You've also been through a LOT! Moving alone is apparently rated second from "death of a spouse" on those stress charts! I had to remind both my mom and Dad of that this year. My son is now 15, but I remember clearly how difficult it was to have a young child. I was almost 42 when he was born, and both my husband and I were used to being on our own. We had difficulty getting pregnant, so that was another stress! However, it's so worth it, as I know you know. As they say, we don't learn from the things that come easily! Having a child changes your world completely, and can also have a huge impact on a relationship. I always roll my eyes when I hear of a couple (or usually just one person) deciding to have a child to help their marriage. It is so much more of a challenge after.

Interesting that you ended up teaching two subjects that didn't come naturally to you! I did a stint of about 5 years teaching at Humber College here, and every time they offered me a new course to teach, I'd get ticked off. I'd just have arranged the curricullum, marking, projects, slides, lectures etc. for one course, and they'd pass it on! Then I realized that with each new course, I was learning something new! So my survival technique was, "if you want to learn about something, volunteer to teach it!" So true. I happen to have a son who is gifted in music, and started out in French Immersion. We discovered that there were a lot of connections between learning language, and music. Seems to be a similiar way of the brain processing information. And I'm sure you're aware of the connections between math and music. There are some great books on the subject of the brain and music, if you're interested. I'm not one of "those", as I learned through the conservatory, and that was hard enough! I was determined that my son would have more creative options, and he has been in the jazz program at Humber for 13 years now! I tried to study jazz (on piano) when he was very young, and couldn't believe how hard it was. That's the math connection, I think!

My wife is taking effexor ... started the same time as I did Cymbalta. So any tips on wooing Effexor babes are welcome. :hearts: Seriously, though. It's been tough.

I totally hear you. My situation was complicated by (shhh..) menopause, which doesn't necessarily have the lowering libido effect, but it certainly changes one's perspective on life, relationships, etc. One writer refers to it as "the veil of hormones lifts, and you see clearly now..". At least 90% of my pals would totally disagree with the clarity aspect, but I know it had an effect on my marriage view. This so doesn't relate to your situation now (so keep a copy for 20 years from now!), but I found that "issues" that had always been present in my relationship, but that I'd put up with on a day to day basis, were no longer tolerable to me.

Effexor may have helped me stand that ground, given it's "hardening" qualities we've talked about. That said, I was on Effexor for a good 5 years before our marriage really changed. I'd say it would have hit the skids if I hadn't consciously decided to stay "for the sake of our son". In the end, I don't think that's all that my decision was about. My husband and I started our time together with a strong friendship, and share many values and interests, besides our son. From my perspective, there was a breakdown in communication brought on by my "changing", and he felt very angry that I wasn't the same person that he had married. I think that the Effexor supported my new self-confidence, and he missed my accomodating personality.

I'm not sure if any of this helps, but I've learned a lot about sexuality since I started on Effexor. I now fully understand that men need sex to feel intimately connected to their women, and women need to feel emotionally connected before they can have sex! The physical side effects of effexor causing dryness make that even more profound. When I look back, I realize that I started on Effexor when my son was 27 months (I had just stopped nursing him!), so our situations aren't all that different. You have an inside understanding of what depression is (which my husband understands only on an intellectual level), so you know firsthand the joy of re-claiming your life when you've found an anti-depressant that works. I think it was all kind of confusing to my husband, as he'd known me for 10 years by then! So, if I were to offer any tips, I'd say
:flowers: patience, patience, patience, lots of talking about "feelings", support of her "new self" (which obviously includes being a new mom - very challenging, especially if she was a career gal) make time for alone time with her, and much more foreplay than before! Way more. Ha ha, I feel like Dr. Ruth.

The other thing about having kids, is that women feel they are looking after someone else's needs, all day long. When sex comes across as a "need", it just feels like more of the same. I think if you can convince her that your wishes are for more of an emotional connection, the other will fall into place.

Anyway, should go and do a few chores. I rarely have saturdays off, so I've enjoyed the opportunity to write uninterrupted. Don't know if this should be sent as a private message, but I'm sure you're not the only one experiencing this challenge. I did respond once before to someone as a PM, only to discover that there were several other people interested in the same topic! Have a great Saturday Night!

#39 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:22 PM

It's very hard to get a teaching job right now, so when they offer you something you have to take it. In addition, the French position was in a poor inner city school, epicentre of the devastated auto-industry here in Windsor. They *literally* couldn't find anyone else to take the job. (And I'm not misusing literally for figuratively here.) I tell ya, there were many, many days I wondered why I left the prospects of a career in academia to work with kids.

At any rate, the stress of the past few years has strengthened our marriage (after severely testing it). We became much more honest with each other, and ourselves, and much more understanding of our quirks.

Interestingly enough, things seem to be changing as I speak (type?) in the libido department. It has been a weekend of passion of almost teenaged proportions. So the side-effect of repressed sex drive seems to have passed. That's a relief, because the Effexor definitely seems to be helping my wife. As did Zoloft before it, but she quit it because of sexual side-effects.

It was an odd time. When I'm not depressed, I think I've always had a healthy, but average drive. My wife, on the other hand, can be insatiable. So it was odd these past few weeks to be the pursuer/rebuffee rather than the pursued/rebuffer.

Unfortunately, my mood's been sinking these past few days. I'm wondering if I need a higher dose. I'm 6'4 and 225 lbs so maybe the standard dose isn't quite enough.

#40 Maedhros

Maedhros

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

I sometimes wonder if long term med effects our body's ability to fight stresses, thus resulting in "another dis-ease". In the meantime, I can live with Cymbalta I think. Thanks for the well-wishes about my day improving! It has already...6 years, eh? hmmmmm.....

I actually think Cymbalta is helping my body's ability. I am sleeping better than I have in years. Then there is the anti-anxiety effects. I've often wondered about the toll being an anxious person with the attendant constant stress has taken on my body/immune system. I know high stress is correlated with high cortisol levels and high cortisol levels are correlated with reduced cognitive function and the accumulation of abdominal fat. Since I've been on Cymbalta I've been able to think more clearly and belly fat has been practically melting off. Those are both positive health developments.

Edited by Maedhros, 05 October 2008 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users