Advertisement
  • No one should be alone in this. We can help.
If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.                                                                            If you - or someone you know - are having thoughts about suicide, call 1-800-273-TALK (8255). Calls are connected to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Photo

Cymbalta And Weight Gain

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

#1 scottybear

scottybear

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:27 AM

I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for about 7 weeks and noticed weight gain about 7 lbs without any change in diet. Sometimes I also feel a bit bloated/full for no reason. Does this lessen with time? When I was on Prozac 20mg, it seemed more weight neutral. Any ways to reduce the gain?

Edited by scottybear, 18 July 2007 - 11:00 AM.

#2 Fried

Fried

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:18 PM

My Pdoc told me that I would probably notice a drop in weight, so far I've lost 8lbs. Not that I wanted to loose any but I just don't have an apetite these days.

#3 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 11:55 PM

I've been on this med for about 3 years and gained about 8lbs. I needed to gain them back as depression and anxiety really messed with my appetite. I notice I'm still hunting up the sugary food items in my house and usually bake something a couple times a week. Does anyone else crave sugar? Not good at all!

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#4 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:24 AM

I know this is not what you want to hear, but in my whole three weeks that I've been on Cymbalta, I've lost 10 lbs., mainly due to the decrease in appetite. I can feel the appetite returning, so I'm sure this is a short-lived, "positive" side effect. As for what we can do about it (because I know it's going to happen to me too), I'm going to try and eat fruit instead of the sweets I've craved and go to the gym more often. Just what you wanted to hear, I'm sure. . . I guess you could try that new "Alli" product, although I know nothing about it, and have just seen it at the pharmacy. It's some new over the counter weight loss product.

I have been on Cymbalta 60mg for about 7 weeks and noticed weight gain about 7 weeks. Sometimes I also feel a bit bloated/full for no reason. Does this lessen with time? When I was on Prozac 20mg, it seemed more weight neutral. Any ways to reduce the gain?

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Jkm

Jkm

• Platinum Member
  • 12,591 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:29 AM

You might want to talk to your doc about this sudden weight gain, especially if you're not eating more than usual. I know if I take Cymbalta on an empty stomach, it bothers me and causes a full feeling where no food intake exists. Try to eat prior to taking it and see if that helps with the bloated feeling.

I think this Alli med just makes food pass through your system faster. Get a doc's advice before trying any kind of diet aid..... Just watch what you're eating. I know I crave sugar and that's not a good thing as it can contribute to anxiety for me.

Jackie
Posted Image

I have GAD. I worry about everything, lol!

#6 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:23 PM

I had the same problem with cymbalta when I would take it and had not eaten anything - I would get a bloated feeling that would last almost all day. It was very uncomfortable and is one of the things that almost made me quit taking it. I suggest eating something with it and make sure it is enough.

I haven't had any cravings, nor any weight gain. It may eventually start, then I don't know what I'll do. I tend to overeat or eat the wrong things when I'm anxious/depressed, so this med actually helps me.

#7 eimh

eimh

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Weight gain seems to be really common with SSRIs and SNRIs. I went on Cymbalta hoping that it would be weight neutral; but for me it has caused the worst weight gain of anything.

1) I took Paxil for a few years: went from 100lbs. to 120lbs.
2) Switched to Lexapro: weight fluctuated between 110-120lbs.
3) Switched to Cymbalta: weight went from 120lbs. to 160lbs.

I'm tapering Cymbalta right now. I am really hoping that the weight gain will stop or at least stabilize as I get closer to zero.

I think that a lot of things cause this, some which I can control and some which I can.

I can't help hormonal changes that SSRI/SNRIs cause; but I am trying to be more aware of the weird things like not getting full like I did before I started the meds. I've tried diet and exercise while on higher doses of meds and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I hope that now that I am on a lower dosage that I will have more control over this.

Cymbalta (5/2006-10/2007)

#8 scottybear

scottybear

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:55 AM

Can only else who has knowledge on this issue post? I was taking it for about 8 weeks and it helped, but I gained about 10 lbs. I noticed myself craving carbs more and I think my metabolism slowed a bit. The gain appeared in the midsection. I also had some constipation and a general bloating feeling. Is Effexor XR any better in this regard?

#9 maintainin

maintainin

Silver Member

• Silver Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

I lost about 8 pounds when I was lexapro and its all came back since I stopped. It's really hard to go off other peoples experiences in regards to the weight issue. Some will gain, some will lose, some will stay the same. I really dont think there is any rhyme or reason to it other than different body chemistries. I will say this though, when I hear somebody say they havent had a change in diet I am always a little skeptical. Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you havent changed your diet? It doesnt take alot to gain a pound. Have you been having that extra soda? Maybe that extra bag of potato chips? Sure you arent eating slightly bigger portions at mealtime? It only takes 3000 calories to gain a pound. So lets say you are taking an extra 500 calories a day(this is so easy to do without thinking about its not even funny).......youve gained a pound in six days, 5 in a month.

Again, not blaming it all on diet, I know I had a definite change in bowel habits when I was on lex and I was eating a lot more and I still lost wieght. So I definitely think there can be a metabolism component when it comes to these AD's as well. Some people it affects positively, some negatively. Sounds like you may be in that latter category.

Edited by maintainin, 23 August 2007 - 02:39 PM.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!

Brian

#10 life4me8

life4me8

• PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:47 PM

Can only else who has knowledge on this issue post? I was taking it for about 8 weeks and it helped, but I gained about 10 lbs. I noticed myself craving carbs more and I think my metabolism slowed a bit. The gain appeared in the midsection. I also had some constipation and a general bloating feeling. Is Effexor XR any better in this regard?

My mother was on Effexor for 2 years and she put on a great deal of weight.. from 115 to 150. Her appetite was the same as before and the DR said it was from the effexor.

I have been on cymbalta for around 3 months and I lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks. I have put back about half of it. However, I am either constipated or have diarrhea. It's one extreme or the other.... not sure if that is normal -- maybe I should call the dr and see what he thinks.

sorry to jump off the subject.. but anyway, each med is different for each person so i'm sure you will see people saying that it's caused weight loss and weight gain. do a google search for effexor, most of the info I saw listed weight gain as a primary side effect.
When you're lost in your own thoughts....who finds you?

I can pretend better than the rest of them...but who wants to pretend to be happy????

I just walked into this party and someone yelled "dibs"... it's a shame I'm broken and no one knows

I am thankful for the blessings in my life and remind myself daily of them..somehow it's just not enough.

#11 scottybear

scottybear

• PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 06:55 PM

Is the weight gain possible dose related? I was on the 30 mg and then moved to 40mg. Isn't 60mg the standard dose? I was thinking maybe trying that dose for awhile and see if that changes anything?

#12 bunnybear

bunnybear

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

Is the weight gain possible dose related? I was on the 30 mg and then moved to 40mg. Isn't 60mg the standard dose? I was thinking maybe trying that dose for awhile and see if that changes anything?

-On Lexapro for about 2 years= gained about 15 lbs
-On Wellbutrin for about 3 months= lost 15 lbs
-On cymbalta for 4 weeks = no change in weight yet

#13 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:20 PM

It's my understanding that 60-90 mg. is considered the therapeutic dosage for Cymbalta, although some will say they do just fine on 30 mg. I initially lost weight on Cymbalta and have gained back about four the of ten pounds lost. I appear to have leveled out now.

-On Lexapro for about 2 years= gained about 15 lbs
-On Wellbutrin for about 3 months= lost 15 lbs
-On cymbalta for 4 weeks = no change in weight yet

Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 12:47 PM

scottybear, have you talked to your doctor about the weight gain? 8 weeks seems like an awfully short time to put on 10 pounds! I haven't had any weight gain, and I have a terrible time with constipation with cymbalta. It does make my stomach bloated, so I just try to drink lots of water. I'm hoping it will get better with time. But, even with the constipation, I haven't been showing a weight increase. I've lost a couple of more pounds, actually. I just wonder if you are so constipated, that is why you have experienced that amount of weight gain or if it is something other than the meds. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

#15 ChipHead

ChipHead

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 12:53 PM

I am going from zoloft to cymbalta.... I am 5' 9' and 160 am I going to gain more weight.. .I am weening off of zoloft.

#16 MaddieLouise

MaddieLouise

• Platinum Member
  • 3,508 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:42 PM

I used to take Zoloft and now take Cymbalta. I lost weight initially due to lack of appetite, but after two months the appetite is back and I've gained some of the weight back, but I don't think it's been excessive.

I am going from zoloft to cymbalta.... I am 5' 9' and 160 am I going to gain more weight.. .I am weening off of zoloft.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 americandancer

americandancer

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 09:37 PM

I used to take zoloft, too. My doctor told me I had gained weight on it, but I think he confused it with the serzone. I had trouble keeping my weight up when I took zoloft. Of course, that was many years ago! I still have no appetite with cymbalta. I guess that's good, but I'm getting really tired of the bloated feeling and constipation. Gonna have to see the doc soon. It sure doesn't bother me enough to stop it though!

#18 garydh2000

garydh2000

• Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 09:54 AM

I have been on 30mg of Cymbalta along with 200mg of Wellbutrin for about six months. I have gained about 20 pounds even though I exercize regularly with running and lifting.

#19 ChipHead

ChipHead

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

I decided not to take this stuff... the weight gain and liver issues... and I am doing generally "ok" with the zoloft... I do not want to upset the applecart.
zoloft is keeping me afloat... just afraid of changing. I have gone from 100mg of zoloft to 75 over the last two weeks, a little depressed.... but think it is just the change.
Sorry guys.... I am just too afraid.

#20 gemmia

gemmia

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

Been taking Cymbalta for about 18 months, put on about one and a half stone in the last six months, bad sugary stuff cravings!! Recently had a dodgy liver funtion test result so my doc told me to stop cymbalta. Going through horrible withdrawal last 4 weeks, but I have lost about 5 pounds-yay!! I blame the cymbalta for the weight gain - just one of a whole list of side effects.
  • PopHoody likes this

#21 dogmom

dogmom

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 08:37 PM

I've been on the Cymbalta for a year and have gained twenty pounds.I'm in the process of switching to Effexor which I hope will be better.

#22 zgs

zgs

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 01:39 AM

I switched from Celexa to Cymbalta for anxiety and depression about 6 weeks ago. Although I've noticed a great change in mood and a significant decrease in the sexual side effects, I have also been feeling constantly full, somewhat sick to my stomach, and constipated almost entirely throughout the day. I've had an incredible decrease in appetite and have a hard time eating full meals of much substance; however, I've gained around 15 lbs since starting it. I feel heavy and tired, and I'm not sure how much of it is due to this weight gain. Initially, I lost some weight, but I believe that is because my sleeping was skewed as well (though that has more or less returned to normal). I'm not particularly active nor sedentary, but I do plenty of recreational walking, swimming, etc. and have actually become more healthy in my eating since starting Cymbalta (as well as the decreased appetite), and don't see why I have gained so much weight. On a comparably higher dose of Celexa this never happened. When that was combined with Wellbutrin I even noticed some weight loss. But this weight gain has been excruciatingly uncomfortable, especially considering that I'm often tired from not eating, and is somewhat embarrassing. Has anyone noticed a reversal in these effects when going off of Cymbalta? How long does it take, if it is possible, to reverse the weight gain from the drug? I feel like I should naturally have lost a lot of weight at this point, being less stressed, eating better and less, and having more time to be active in the past few weeks while on it. Since I have been away from my normal psychiatrist, I have been seeing a therapist who does not prescribe medicine, so he is not sure as to the all of the possibilities when dealing with the side effects. Wellbutrin made me somewhat manic, but I would really like to see some of the benefits that it did provide again, especially since they seem to be opposite many of the problems exacerbated by Cymbalta. I don't like to be on too many medicines, and really want to know how reversible these side effects are (the weight gain, fatigue, and decreased appetite from uncomfortable feelings of surfeit), and a what is a similar medicine as far as the mental effects go (this has been the most successful antidepressant I have been on; I've found myself needing Klonopin much less often).

#23 psfws11

psfws11

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:46 PM

I know how you feel. I have tried Wellbutrin, but it was just too much and caused high blood pressure and anxiety. So I tried Cymbalta - which for the depression/anxiety was the second best medication I've taken (behind Pristiq) It works. But CYMBALTA = WEIGHT GAIN! You are not alone. Yes it is reversable. I gained 10 pounds right off the bat (a week) and the weight just kept piling on..I gained a total of 20 pounds on a 130 pound frame. Not pretty. No matter what I did, I was bloated and pudgy. I did crave sugars - Pepsi/Coke and any carb. I didn't even recognize myself. After a couple of months of trying various weight loss techniques - 3 weeks of regular running, dieting, blah blah - no matter what I did that scale would not budge. I finally called my doctor and she said it does have that "side effect" of slowing the metabolism and increasing the appetite. It actually can affect your thyroid. I started Pristiq. For one week I took half a dose of Cymbalta and a dose of Pristiq. The next week I took only Pristique. After one week on just Pristiq I've dropped 5 pounds! Appetite is normal, bloat is gone and I am contiuing to lose it. But WARNING for people going off Cymbalta-oh my God was it bad. The first weekend I was depressed and couldn't get out of bed. Stressed. Started to feel better then when I dropped the Cymbalta altogether...I was like a different person. Shaky, dizzy, brain zaps, my ears felt like I'd just left a heavy metal concert, nauseas, severe depression and anxiety...hopelessness...I didn't want to do anything but lay down...so if you ever have to switch from Cymbalta - I highly recommend planning ahead with regards to work, because it's almost impossible to function.

Edited by psfws11, 25 August 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#24 michelley13

michelley13

Just Registered

• Just Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:22 AM

hey, I've recently started taking Cymbalta, and have noticed that i've lost a little bit of weight. I've read a few other posts here and wanted to offer some advice. My doctor who prescribed me Cymbalta strongly advised to take it after having a good sized breakfast. I've followed his instructions and haven't had any problems. There was one day where I didn't have time to have a breakfast and just took Cymbalta anyways (I usually never even ate breakfast before being prescribed the medication) and I felt so nauseous and bloated for the whole day. Even after eating something AFTER taking the pill, nothing helped. So I strongly suggest maybe having a healthy breakfast and then taking Cymblata RIGHT after you eat- don't wait like an hour or anything. I sincerely hope this bit of advice helps anyone :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users